High 93F
Low 72F

Thursday - June 7

Run
  • 1h 01m 44s
  • 6.69 miles
  • 09m 14s /Mi

Haddon Hall

20 minutes at half marathon pace. Legs did not feel like doing it. I used Brain Control to force them to cooperate.

It was cool out this morning -- not even 60 degrees. In June. In North Carolina. Weird.

Emma interviewed a new pet sitter last night.  Her regular pet sitter is busy during part of our time in CA for Vineman so the plan is for her to go between sitters (both through Fetch). 

The new sitter has a dog and we needed to make sure that Sampson and Emma got along OK.  We got there and talked to Diane for a bit.  Sampson was outside. We took Em off leash and let Sampson and Emma meet.  Sampson said, "This is my house!"  Emma turned her head to the side and said, "I know!  And anyway, I have my own People."  That was it. 

Emma got pets from Diane and her family.  Sampson got pets from Kevin and me.  We talked.  Emma said that Diane is hired.

• Health data: Hours slept: 6.5

Wednesday - June 6

Bike
  • 2h 18m 14s
  • 42.83 miles
  • 18.59 Mi/hr

Oh Melo Velo group ride. Today's route: Lystra, Lovely Lystra

I was with the lead group -- David C.'s group -- until we got to Farrington. Then the people immediately in front of me decided to u-turn and that was enough separation that it was bye-bye group. That was fine because I was Z3 at that point and we still had Lystra to do.

Run
  • 20m 28s
  • 2.15 miles
  • 09m 31s /Mi

Brick run with Emma

One more 3MM photo

• Health data: Hours slept: 7.75

Tuesday - June 5

Swim
  • 1h 30m 37s
  • 3608.92 yards
  • -----

warm up

drills (8:14)
- 3 x 25 fist drill followed by 75 of swim regular
- 2 x 50 over the barrel
- 25 over the barrel, 25 flip n hold

workout (1:22:23)
3 x 1000 @ 1:30 recovery with 1x spot forward per 100. Mid set at race pace.
25:57, 26:14, 27:12

Calf cramps during final set.

My before trying this imaginary pace was 25. I tried to swim "steady" for the first set and then go faster for the second set. When I saw the first set was 25:57, I knew this would be tough. I felt good during the middle set but I need more work on my pacing. The last set was messed up due to the leg cramps.

Sports massage.  I scheduled the appointment for two reasons:  (1) I wasn't sure if 3MM would beat me up any and (2) this is going to be a big training month for me.  I want to go into it the in the best way possible.  I was feeling good going into the office.  My calves were bothering me some, having cramped up during the swim in the morning but that was my only complaint.  Well, Jill found all sorts of angry muscles.  What she said is the back plane from thorax to hamstrings plus calves.  She suggested soaking in the tub a few times a week after particularly tough workouts -- water as hot as I can stand it and one cup each of epsom salt and baking soda.  I stopped on my way home and got a large supply of each.  I see her again in two weeks.

• Health data: Hours slept: 6.75

Monday - June 4

Run
  • 1h 33m 46s
  • 10.03 miles
  • 09m 21s /Mi

Haddon Hall + Peakway

My long run was moved from Sunday to Monday this week due to 3 Mountain Madness. The run went well and I think that it was good that it was scheduled for this morning rather than yesterday. I made a double loop course to keep me in well lit areas.

I wore my older running shoes today. I have been trying to keep them going as long as possible so that my replacement shoes will be in good condition for Vineman. Yesterday I told Kevin that today would probably be my last long run in the pink ones. I have the speed laces on the blue ones and plan to start using them for bricks this week.

I used the Nathan handheld this morning. I'm getting used to it. I wore the Delta Tri Team singlet this morning. No chafing.

I had two fig newtons before the run, a Gu during the run and breakfast afterward.

• Health data: Hours slept: 6

Sunday - June 3

Swim
  • 1h 20m 55s
  • 3280.84 yards
  • -----

Warm up

Drills (300 ~ 8:18)
- 3 x 25 fist drill followed by 75 of swim regular
- 2 x 50 over the barrel
- 25 over the barrel, 25 flip n hold

Workout (1:12:37 ~ 2700)
(200 steady @ 20, 100 fast @ 10)x 9
4:54, 2:17
5:06, 2:14
5:07, 2:16
5:09, 2:16
5:14, 2:20
5:16, 2:20
5:17, 2:22
5:20, 2:22
5:24, 2:28

Cool down

Long run scheduled for tomorrow due to 3MM yesterday.

More photos from yesterday's ride

Preparing for 3MM

Preparing for 3MM (above)

View of Pilot Mountain from the 60 mile rest stop

View of Pilot Mountain from the 60 mile rest stop 

View from the top of Pilot Mountain

View from the top of Pilot Mountain

Emma, after a rough day of waiting for mom

Emma, after a rough day of waiting for mom

• Health data: Hours slept: 8.75

Saturday - June 2

Bike
  • 5h 09m 52s
  • 75.37 miles
  • 14.59 Mi/hr

3 Mountain Madness

The ride went well and I had a great time. I'm really pleased.

3MM logo

Kevin, Ron M. and me before 3MM

• Health data: Hours slept: 8.25

Friday - June 1

Rest day.  I started gathering up gear last night.  After work I need to finish packing (grab Garmin, electronic chargers, etc.) and then we will head to Mt. Airy -- aka Mayberry.  Kevin and Emma will be joining me.  I think that Kevin plans to take Emma for a short hike while I am riding.  He also plans to bring a book.

3MM Notes

• The first 45 minutes or so, people ride together.  The groups break up as we get to Sauratown.  After this, it's more or less a solo effort.  The Sauratown climb is in full sun.  Keep this in mind when selecting a jersey.
  • I'm glad that I checked my results from the other two times I've done this ride.   13.78 mph average the first time and 14.6 the second time.  
  • Check the mileage on your bike computer at the ranger station at the bottom of Pilot Mountain.  The steep part is in the first 1.6 miles.  After that, the tree canopy opens up and the grade is less crazy.  (It's a total 2.4 miles to the top.)
  • Based on past experience, expect to finish between 1:30 and 2:00. 
  • Remember to bring a towel.  There are showers at the end.
  • The website says that the 75 mile loop has 8600 feet of climbing.

• Health data: Hours slept: 7.5

jmkizer's Training Log

June 2012 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
      1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Volume

Time
Distance

Actual vs Planned

Time

Upcoming races

• Ironman Chattanooga (Triathlon)
    9/28/2014 Chattanooga, Tennessee
  • Rock 'n' Roll Las Vegas Half Marathon (Run)
    11/16/2014 Las Vegas, Nevada
  • MyrtleBeach.com Myrtle Beach Marathon (Run)
    2/14/2015 Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

Totals

• September's totals
  • August's totals
  • 2014 totals
  • 2013 totals