High 69F
Low 44F

Thursday - October 3

Swim
  • 1h 16m 34s
  • 2734.03 yards
  • -----

400 w/u with spot forwards
6 x 100 (50 drill, 50 kick. Drills = catch up, fist, single arm, fingertip, 6/3/6, powerstroke)
2 x 50 kick
200 pull
5 x 200 moderate pace, try to do all five of them in the same time - @ 30
2 x 50 kick - fast
100 c/d
= 2500 meters (LCM)

Bike
  • 2h 06m 39s
  • 37.18 miles
  • 17.61 Mi/hr

Beaver Creek-Martha's Chapel-Davis

It was a beautiful day for a bike ride and I enjoyed it! 12 min interval @ 1/2 Ironman pace mid ride. Legs apparently didn't have a lot of speed in them but I felt good on the bike.

Butterfly saddle + Bella shorts... well... I still think that the cut out might be in the wrong place. I am very comfortable on the sides (which is where I have issues at the moment) but this saddle may be trading one problem for another? Undecided.

Sport
  • Stretching
  • 05m

√ Ride tonight!

Like the last two weeks, I'm taking a few hours of vacation this afternoon to get this in -- I had several days and 6 hours of vacation to schedule for the year so I decided to take two hours each for three Thursdays that were "daylight challenged."  It'll be good.  Makes for an easy work day Smile

Today's Gratitude:  I'm thankful for vacation time that allows me to take some time off to ride my bike on this beautiful day!

• Health data: Hours slept: 7

Wednesday - October 2

Bike
  • 1h 01m 20s
  • 18.22 miles
  • 17.83 Mi/hr

Old 1 out and back. First ride with the new saddle. Overall good but I probably should not have worn my Oomph shorts. I think that maybe I don't wear them much (rarely if not on the cross bike) because they have too much padding up front for me. In thinking about it, I had a similar issue with these shorts and the spin bikes at the gym.

Run
  • 32m 17s
  • 3.50 miles
  • 09m 14s /Mi

Short run through downtown off the bike. Oomph shorts were comfy for running at least!

√ Ride tonight!  

It was 84 when I left for my ride and 81 when I finished my run.  Low humidity and very nice!

Think of something that makes you smile.

• Health data: Hours slept: 7.75

Tuesday - October 1

Swim
  • 1h 06m 19s
  • 2405.95 yards
  • -----

400 w/u
2 x 50 kick
2 x 50 drill (6/3/6)
6 x 50 (odds steady, evens fast) @ 20
3 x 100 (25 catch up, 25 fast, 50 cruise) @ 20 <- this is what it was supposed to be but the pool was set up for long course and my brain said, 1 length of catch up, one of fast and two at cruise. while I was doing this I realized that I should have done 1/2 length of catch up, etc. so I ended up dong 1 x 200 and 1 x 100. still 300 total.
2 x 300 (first one steady, then 1-2 minutes rest and the second one fast)
2 x 200 pull
= 2200 meters (LCM)

Interesting workout today. Erin basically wanted us to focus on the second 300 and she timed us. You'll also see that there was lots of resting before and after that 300.

When I was halfway to the pool, I realized that I had forgotten my towel. Uh oh. I used my emergency backup towel when I went to Lake Jordan on Sunday. Then I remembered that I had the "High Scoring Lab" towel in the car so I made do with that (it's not that large!). Now I really need to get my backup towel(s) back into the car!

Run
  • 45m 25s
  • 5.00 miles
  • 09m 04s /Mi

Library-Park Loop

10x30 sec strides with 30 sec between

Sport #1
  • Core Training
  • 15m

Pre swim core workout

Sport #2
  • Stretching
  • 05m

√ Run tonight!

After masters this morning I got to go and get my fasting blood work done.  Woo hoo!  Yeah, not so good with the needles.  At least they got me the first time today (darn small, rolly blood vessels!).  By the time that was done I was hungry!

I'm pretty happy with my September totals.  Over 800 miles on the bike including four centuries (two solo and two at BikeMS) and over 100 miles running.

Look what I got in the mail yesterday!

Photo: It's getting real!

(I stole the photo from the B2B FB page but my booklet looks the same)

Monday - September 30

Sport
  • Walking
  • 37m 53s

Early morning walk with Emma

Another story from the triathlon that I ran across yesterday.  As I was riding, I passed someone.  As I approached this rider, I noticed that he had on running shoes.  And a hoodie.  And very loose, knee length shorts.  And an aero helmet.

When I saw the running shoes and hoodie, I figured this was his first triathlon and he didn't want to invest in equipment.  When I saw the shorts I though that he was just being modest and pulled them on quickly after the swim.  When I saw the aero helmet, was was like WHAT?!  In case you are wondering, yes, the hoodie was pulled up over the back of the helmet.  Yes, it was one of the longer, pointer aero helmets too.  Coneheads anyone?

I just read a post on ST about IM Chat and the current Tennessee River water temperatures (since the event is a year away).  Apparently local swimmers were measuring it at 78 degrees this week.  Since 78 is higher than 76...

Sunrise at the arboretum

sunrise

flower at sunrise

Sunday - September 29

Bike
  • 2h 08m 07s
  • 36.31 miles
  • 17.00 Mi/hr

NC Bike Route 2 to Angier and back. This was meant to be a zone 2 ride but it was clear that I was not recovered from yesterday's ride. I noticed this in the first bit from Apex to Fuquay-Varina. My heart rate was just not going up and I kept on thinking that I needed to get it into gear. When I got to Fuquay-Varina, I saw several other tri bikes. Wait! They have numbers. OMG! I'm in the middle of a triathlon and I didn't even sign up for this one. I kept pace with the racers. My heart rate was still not going up. Poo. Anyway, I continue to Angier and turned around to head back. My average speed dropped on the way back. It would be easy to blame it on hills or wind but really, I think that it was just that I did not recover well. At any rate, two hour tour in the books.

Quick story about Angier. It's a small town between Raleigh and I-95 and it's pronounced An-jeer. Well, a friend of mine who was born and raised in NJ and used to shopping in NYC and being exposed to the NY media moved here and was very excited. Clearly Etienne Aigner had some sort of manufacturing facility near Raleigh! OUTLETS! She was so disappointed!

In other news, saddle sore flared up again today after behaving pretty well yesterday. I had been thinking about swapping out the saddle on my road bike to a Terry Butterfly and I went and did that today. A Specialized Evade helmet somehow ended up in the basket as well.

Run
  • 2h 02m 58s
  • 13.11 miles
  • 09m 23s /Mi

Downtown-Bond Park-Apex Park

Nice run! Overall, I'm really pleased with this run. I love this route and that helps ;-)

Swim
  • 25m 02s
  • 929.57 yards
  • -----

Short open water swim at Lake Jordan, Ebenezer Church entrance.

Happy National Coffee Day!

Terry Butterfly TI saddle

• Health data: Hours slept: 8.5

Saturday - September 28

Bike
  • 6h 16m 06s
  • 110.71 miles
  • 17.70 Mi/hr

Penny-Shearon Harris-Bennett-Lower River

Another uneventful solo ride. Same route as last week. I thought that it went better than last week's long ride even though last week was slightly faster. I think that it was a bit windier today (headwind on final 10 miles) and I also think that I had less pressure because Kevin is out of town (less pressure to get home by a certain time leading to a less stressful ride, that is).

• Health data: Hours slept: 8.5

Friday - September 27

Sport
  • Walking
  • 37m 41s

Early morning walk with Emma

It looks like a beautiful weekend is on tap!

Relish today. Ketchup tomorrow.

jmkizer's Training Log

October 2013 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
   1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31  

Volume

Time
Distance

Actual vs Planned

Time

Upcoming races

• Rock 'n' Roll Las Vegas Half Marathon (Run)
    11/16/2014 Las Vegas, Nevada
  • Rock ā€˜nā€™ Roll Raleigh Half Marathon (Run)
    4/12/2015 Raleigh, North Carolina

Totals

• October's totals
  • September's totals
  • 2014 totals
  • 2013 totals