High 83F
Low 58F

Tuesday - December 24

Run
  • 1h 05m 43s
  • 7.27 miles
  • 09m 02s /Mi

Waterford Green-Haddon Hall.

Nice Christmas Eve run. Enjoyed it (and I really mean it today)!

10 x 30 second strides mid run.

Sport
  • Stretching
  • 10m

Run done.

Time to make the stollen -- and finish wrapping the gifts.

In other news, Elf returned to the North Pole to make his final report.  Naughty List or Nice List, which will it be?

Kevin and me.  At my parents house for Christmas Eve. 

• Health data: Hours slept: 8.75

Monday - December 23

Sport #1
  • Walking
  • 38m 42s

Early morning walk with Emma, December shorts edition. 64 degrees out this morning. That's about 20 degrees warmer than tomorrow's predicted high temperature.

Sport #2
  • Yoga
  • 1h 00m

Yoga for Athletes

√ Yoga tonight

After my back decided to act up this weekend, I decided that I needed a massage sooner rather than later.  Next available appointment is Saturday.  I snapped it up.  (I suppose that I could have called the other place to see if Jill had anything sooner but I did not.)

Dog toy climbing fireplace Elf

Dog toy climbing fireplace Elf

• Health data: Hours slept: 7

Sunday - December 22

Run
  • 2h 36m 33s
  • 16.01 miles
  • 09m 46s /Mi

Bond Park-Black Creek Greenway-Cary Parkway

Nice run. I felt a lot better than yesterday on it. I would have liked to have seen a faster pace but it was definitely zone 2 so it is what it is. I'm not sure that I've ever done more than 30 running miles in a week until this month. The last two weeks have been 39 miles each. I'm guessing that I'm getting some fatigue built up.

It was 69 degrees, humid and blustery (18 mph wind) when I started the my run this morning. It was nice to run in shorts and a t-shirt!

Sport
  • Stretching
  • 15m

Stretching before and after the this morning's run

Zipline Elf

Ziplining!

• Health data: Hours slept: 9

Saturday - December 21

Run
  • 1h 19m 45s
  • 8.21 miles
  • 09m 42s /Mi

Olive Chapel to Kelly Road and back

Ack! I was so happy that I got some decent runs in earlier this week despite being sick. Now I'm starting to feel better and this happen :-/

On the up side, it's the week before Christmas and I ran in shorts.

8x 30 sec strides with 30 between.

Sport
  • Stretching
  • 30m

I woke up this morning with a really stiff lower back.  This is odd considering that I have had no stiffness at all since starting this run focus.  In fact, I was starting to think that the bike was the root cause of any hip problems that I had in the past year.  Then bam! SI joint (or maybe L5/S1) stiffness.  I did a dynamic warm up before my run this morning but still experienced some discomfort during it and I wonder if I was having a hard time striding out?  Then later this morning I did a good round of stretching.  More stretching and rolling is on tap for this evening.

More Manatee Mailer stuff today!  So fun!

Kitchen elf

• Health data: Hours slept: 9

Friday - December 20

Sport
  • Walking
  • 37m 25s

Early morning walk with Emma

Stanley Cup elf

Hurricanes Elf

Thursday - December 19

Swim
  • 1h 09m 52s
  • 2500.00 yards
  • -----

300 w/u
6 x 50 drill, pick two (6-3-6, single arm with off arm at side)
100 kick
50 kick
100 swim
150 kick
200 swim
150 kick
100 swim
50 kick
3 x 300 - (1) build, (2) pull with buoy, paddles, ankle band, (3) down kick focus
100 c/d
= 2500 yards (SCY)

We were in the rec pool today and there were no high school swimmers. A major (chemical) cleaning is underway in the competition pool due to crypto being found in some pools in two neighboring counties. It's just precautionary at my pool. Better safe than sorry!

Sport
  • Stretching
  • 10m

Dental woes continue.  I gave the condensed version last time.  You get the whole, embarrassing, write up today.

So, when I was in like first grade and I was new to riding my bike without training wheels, I fell off in the driveway.  I broke my one and only adult tooth.  It cracked diagonally with a big chip of maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of the tooth.  Pretty much my entire life I have been dealing with the patch job that is my front tooth.  Eventually they made it into a crown rather than trying to glue on a bit of tooth.  Over the years the other front tooth became damage because of the broken tooth not sharing the load or whatever.  That tooth is also a crown.

Last month, I went in for my normal dental cleaning.  The hygienist accidentally broke one of the crowns during the pick and scrape aspect of the cleaning (broken in back, nothing visible).  My regular dentist was out and the substitute dentist punted.  I went back the next week to see the regular dentist and she was like yes, we must replace it.  What you have is not going anywhere, come back next week and we'll remove it, do a temporary, etc.  I went back and we did the temporary crown and got the impressions and I went on my way.  A few days later, I forgot that I had the temporary crown in and I flossed it like it was a regular tooth and the crown went flying across the room.  I was horrified at how I looked without it!  It was Friday and I did not think that Dr. Foy wanted to hear from me.  I was nearing a meltdown.  I found it and popped it back on.  Seemed OK so I went with it.

That brings us to today.  The big day in which I was going to return to normal with a regular "permanent" crown.  Well, it came in and was not satisfactory.  They called the lab and the lab people came over and the dentist said that it needs more characterization (I did actually really really appreciate this, btw.  It's a front tooth and needs to be right) blah blah blah.  The lab people said, but we cannot do anything with it.  We need to do *both* front teeth.  Dentist goes back and forth with them and apparently the lab people said we will do the second tooth for free.  So... out came the drills and needles.  Yes, they ripped that other crown right off.  Now I have *two* teeth with temporaries on it. 

Will this ever end?!

P.S. I am not upset with the dentist or anything.  I'm just way past ready for this to be over and for things to be back to someone normal in there.  Plus who likes drills and novacaine?

In other news, I've had a cold all week and I'm finally starting to feel better.

Gone fishin'

Wednesday - December 18

Run
  • 1h 11m 55s
  • 8.06 miles
  • 08m 55s /Mi

Around the Peakway

4 x 1/2 mile @ 5k pace with 1/4 mile between

√ Run tonight.

Sugar shock

After the party...

• Health data: Hours slept: 7.75

jmkizer's Training Log

December 2013 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31    

Volume

Time
Distance

Actual vs Planned

Time

Upcoming races

• Washington Olympic Triathlon (Triathlon)
    6/28/2014 Washington, North Carolina
  • Lake Logan Half (Triathlon)
    8/2/2014 Canton, North Carolina
  • Ironman Chattanooga (Triathlon)
    9/28/2014 Chattanooga, Tennessee

Totals

• April's totals
  • March's totals
  • 2014 totals
  • 2013 totals