200 pull @ 40 sec
200 swim @ 40 sec
200 pull
= 2600 yards

Run
  • 1h 12m 04s
  • 7.75 miles
  • 09m 18s /Mi

A front came through this afternoon so it was in the low 70s when I ran. Still quite humid but the pop up storms popped up elsewhere.

My left knee was OK again. Still glad that I'm doing the sports massage thing next week though.

It's Friday Eve!

Run tonight planned for tonight.

All of the extra paragraphs that BT is inserting are making me crazy!

• Health data: Hours slept: 7

Wednesday - May 22

Bike
  • 2h 09m 39s
  • 40.99 miles
  • 18.97 Mi/hr

OMV ride. Today's Route: Can't Bike? Take a Stagecoach

Good group today. We mostly stayed together which is unusual since this is a "we only drop our friends" kinda ride. It was dry but dark clouds were above us as we left. It looked like we'd be chasing the rain and we manage to catch it as we eventually came to wet roads and then some sun showers. After the turnaround, the roads were pretty much dry though. Nice to get over 40 miles on a weeknight!

Ride tonight!  Summer thunderstorms may be in the area but I'm hopeful it will be fine.

I just checked and Kerr Lake is 71 degrees where the Army Corps of Engineers measures it.

Interesting article in the NY Times about Hanson's marathon training method.

• Health data: Hours slept: 7.75

Tuesday - May 21

Swim
  • 1h 01m 58s
  • 2300.00 yards
  • -----

400 w/u
6 x 50 (1-3, 4-6 descending)
200 swim @ 20 then 50 fast kick @ 20 x 4
150 pull with paddles and buoy, breathe every 5 strokes @ 20 then 100 (75 fast, 25 recovery) x 2
100 c/d
= 2300 yards

Things went better with Erin this morning. I'm sure that she thinks that I don't like much of anything. I did tell her how much I liked doing the kicking broken up with the swimming (as opposed to 4x50 kick).

Run
  • 47m 41s
  • 5.29 miles
  • 09m 01s /Mi

Culvert-Downtown-Peakway

8x1 min strides with 1 min between

Nice run. It's hot enough out (78 with 83% humidity) that I wasn't looking forward to it but it was fine. I think that the sun being hidden behind a few stray clouds helped.

Best of all, no knee issues whatsoever. I didn't even think about it until I got home and all cleaned up. (I do have a sports massage scheduled for next week though.)

Sport
  • Core Training
  • 15m

Pre swim core workout

"Fixed" the dashboard above.  I finally had to force the font to "small" in the tables and that did the trick.  If/when BT ever changes their CSS, I need to remember how to change it back.

No Creeper Trail this year.  DH overbooked himself. 

Monday - May 20

Sport #1
  • Stretching
  • 05m

Stretch n roll

Sport #2
  • Walking
  • 38m

Early morning walk with Emma. It was a wet one!

Ack.  So Kevin said that he'd make the reservations for the Virginia Creeper Trail trip.  He told me this a long time ago and I just sort of let it rest.  Well, he made the reservations today.  The good news is that they have rooms.  The bad news is that he did not schedule vacation time for B2B (just a tad important!) and had to "rearrange days" to allow for the Virginia Creeper trip.  At this point I'm ready to bag the Virginia Creeper trip for this year.  Undecided

Sunday - May 19

Run
  • 1h 18m 53s
  • 8.50 miles
  • 09m 16s /Mi

Olive Chapel to the school at Kelly Road and back.

Nice run. Sticky! I'm afraid the humidity is here to stay for the rest of the summer though!

Left knee was OK for this run. I had to stop to cross 55 and it was a bit creaky and not right for a little after I restarted but it loosened up and was OK the rest of the run. I plan to make an appointment for a massage to help with this.

Pete (ncpistol) asked me to post a picture of Emma with her hooves in the air like she just don't care. Without further ado...

• Health data: Hours slept: 8.75

Saturday - May 18

Bike
  • 4h 00m 29s
  • 72.02 miles
  • 17.97 Mi/hr

Knotts Island 100k

Pre-Event

We spent a few days on the Outer Banks before the event.  We made the 3.5 hour drive out to Kitty Hawk on Wednesday morning, stopping for lunch in Manteo before making our way towards our hotel Kitty Hawk. We spent some time in Duck as well. 

On Thursday we went to Bodie Island Lighthouse, which opened for climbing for the first time ever only last month.  We climbed to the top and that was fun.  It's on Cape Hatteras National Seashore so it's managed by the parks service and they had a nice tour.  We spent the afternoon relaxing at the pool.  I went over to the beach for a bit as well but the water is still quite cold so headed back.   Overheard some college guys bragging to some college-age girls about their bike ride.  12 miles!  Woo hoo!   Kevin thought that was funny and entertaining.  One of the college guys jumped in the pool with his phone still in his pocket.  Panic ensued. 

Also on Thursday, I received a note from Tidewater Bicycle Association about an emergency bridge closure that would result in the route being about 70 miles long.

Friday was another beautiful day and another lighthouse, some shopping and more time at the pool.  We sent to Currituck Beach Light  in Corolla and climbed that one as well.  Late in the afternoon we headed back to our room and I went on our balcony and saw a wedding party gathering in the courtyard.  That was entertaining. 

Event Morning

We got up early on Saturday morning (5:45) to make the one hour drive to Chesapeake for the ride.  We rolled through a McD's to get egg McMuffins to go with our banans and we were off!  Two clarifications -- first, saying that the ride starts in Chesapeake is generous.  It's a Chesapeake address but it's quite rural!  Second, the ride works in an unusual way.  You sign up for a ferry.  Then you work backwards to when you need to start to make the ferry and you leave the start area at that time.  I figured that I needed to leave at 7:45 but decided that I'd try to leave at 7:30 just to be safe. 

It was overcast with intermittent drizzle when we left Kitty Hawk.  By the time we were approaching Chesapeake, it was a raining pretty heavily.  The rain tapered off and I wen inside the Ruritan Club to check in.  I checked my phone and it looked like the rain would probably be out of the area by 9:00 or so. As I was checking in, the skies opened up and it started to pour cats and dogs.  I mean, it was hard to see across the street it was raining so hard.  I loitered, hoping that the rain would let up.  Finally, it was 7:30 and I still needed to pump my tires.  Everyone else was still in the community center debating what route to do, step down to the 50k?  Just leave?  Meanwhile, I scurried outside, pumped my tires and I was off!  Kevin said, "Stay safe" as I was rolling out. 

In the first few miles, I saw almost a dozen riders returning to the start area to call it a day.  I said to myself, I can make it an hour and a half in this.  It was 65 or so.  I wasn't cold, just wet.  It got to be 9:00.  The rain was still coming down.  It got to be 9:15 and it was still raining.  The sky was brightening which was good but the wind was kicking up as the front passed and, of course, it was a headwind.  It was especially bad on Marsh Causeway in the Mackay Island National Wildlife Refuge.  I wasn't making good enough time that I could stop and look so I just kept my head down and kept pedaling.  Finally, we turned onto Knotts Island Road and out of the wind.  Ah!  The ferry!  Made it!  I rolled onto the ferry to join the waiting riders as last bit of rain left the area.  I was soaked.  I managed to miss the rest stop just before the ferry station so I munched the fig newton package that I had with me and made plans to stop at the next rest stop, about 10 miles after the ferry.

The ferry ride was fun and would have been more fun if the visibility would have been better.  I took some pictures of all of the bikes on the ferry.  (Three cars joined the cyclists.)  The ride across the Currituck Sound takes about 45 minutes. 

When we got to the town of Currituck, I was able to get with a group of four other riders.  That was a nice change after riding the first half solo.  We kept a very good pace.  Fortunately, the wind did not change direction so we had a nice tailwind for a while there.  After a few miles of riding, my clothing started to dry out and I was a lot more comfortable.  We stuck together until mile 60 when the guys took a shortcut back.  I decided that I wanted to do the whole route so I continued on my own for the last 10 miles.

When I got back, Kevin said that most of the riders pulled into the community center, looked at the sky and went home.  He also said that he probably wouldn't have done the ride. 

The Tidewater Bicycle Association did a great job marking the roads.  I was unfamiliar with the area and had no problems following the markings.  The cue sheet was up-to-date with the detour as well.  The rest stops were reasonably well stocked (they had some stuff hidden away to keep it dry) and they had lunch available to riders when we returned.  I'd love to do this ride with a group of people.  I think that it would be really fun to "take over" the ferry.

Knotts Island Ferry

On the Knotts Island Ferry -- a boat full of bikes!

Knotts Island Century

• Health data: Hours slept: 7.25

Friday - May 17

Sport
  • Walking
  • 39m

Out on Southern Shores path and back along the beach.

Another day, another lighthouse to climb. Today was Currituck.

Currituck Beach Light

Currituck Beach Light

Shadow

• Health data: Hours slept: 8.75

jmkizer's Training Log

May 2013 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
    1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31 

Volume

Time
Distance

Actual vs Planned

Time

Upcoming races

• Rock 'n' Roll Las Vegas Half Marathon (Run)
    11/16/2014 Las Vegas, Nevada
  • MyrtleBeach.com Myrtle Beach Marathon (Run)
    2/14/2015 Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
  • Rock ā€˜nā€™ Roll Raleigh Half Marathon (Run)
    4/12/2015 Raleigh, North Carolina

Totals

• September's totals
  • August's totals
  • 2014 totals
  • 2013 totals