Swim
  • 59m 47s
  • 2350.00 yards
  • -----

Masters swim
400 w/u
4 x 75 (even build)
4 x 25 (odd easy, even fast)
3 x 50 kick (fins) (miscounted, should have been 4)
200 pull
4 x 50 pull
150 pull
4 x 50 (odd easy, even fast)
50 c/d
= 2350 yards

I started using fins for the kick sets today. Marty mentioned it a while back but I never did replace my fins. I had zoomers but they were a size to large and fell off unless I had swim socks on and that just is not workable for masters. I could not find any short fins locally so put it on the back burner. When Erin mentioned it again, I renewed my search. No fins locally so ordered one size smaller zoomers from Swim Outlet. The old ones were the blue kind which apparently have been discontinued. The new ones are gold and the heal cup is much more flexible and more comfy.

Run
  • 58m 27s
  • 6.20 miles
  • 09m 25s /Mi

Today's assignment: run 55 min (z2) with 2x8 min @ 10k pace with 5 min between. I kept a close eye on the weather radar today since storms were predicted, however none materialized. It was about 85 when I ran and was pretty pleasant out for mid June.

Sport #1
  • Core Training
  • 15m

Pre swim core workout

Sport #2
  • Stretching
  • 05m

√ Run tonight

Last Thursday was the hottest day that we've had so far this summer.  It was 97 and humid and I had an after work run.  I wrote about my concerns regarding the effectiveness of training in the heat.  If you are running slower and slower to manage your temperature and heart rate, are you getting out of the run what you should?  Are you training yourself to run slower?  Are you training yourself to give up or to persevere?  Today, I ran across this in a Galloway newsletter:

As the weather gets hotter, you must slow down your pace from the beginning:  30 seconds per mile slower for every five degree increase in temperature above 60 degrees F.

So if it's 97 degrees, that's 37 more than 60.  Round down to 35 and divide by 5 degrees.  So he is saying that I should be running 7 * :30 -- 3:30/mile -- slower than my regular pace?  That doesn't seem right. 

• Health data: Hours slept: 7
Sport #1
  • Stretching
  • 05m

Stretch 'n roll

Sport #2
  • Walking
  • 38m

Early morning walk with Emma

Bike
  • 2h 00m 02s
  • 36.32 miles
  • 18.15 Mi/hr

Beaver Creek-Holland Chapel-Davis

Nice solo ride today. It was both breezier and more humid than yesterday but still very pleasant out.

Run
  • 30m 14s
  • 3.35 miles
  • 09m 02s /Mi

Downtown

Short run off the bike. Fun! Much better than Thursday ;-)

Wishing Emma a happy eleventh birthday! Happy birthday Emma!

Emma on her birthday

• Health data: Hours slept: 8.5
Bike
  • 3h 01m 11s
  • 59.30 miles
  • 19.64 Mi/hr

CSH group ride. Good ride, the group stuck together pretty much and any craziness was limited to Big Woods. The weather was absolutely gorgeous for mid June -- 79 degrees (that's 26 for those from Cunuckistan) with low humidity and 5-10 mph winds when I got off the big. Beautiful! Most of the regulars were on the ride -- Doug, Meredith, Mike with the black Giant Defy, Gary, Gabe, etc. Only Chris and Joan were MIA. Well, we haven't seen Chuck in a while. There were 40+ riders in the group. Mike said that my front wheel is moving side to side and that I'm probably moving the handle bars. Will look into that.

• Health data: Hours slept: 8.5
Sport #1
  • Stretching
  • 05m

Stretching out the kinks.

Sport #2
  • Walking
  • 38m 34s

Early morning walk with Emma. What a change a day makes! Yesterday morning it was hot and muggy when I left for the pool. Today it is comfy with pleasantly low humidity! Em had no complaints!

When I got to work this morning, there was no power.  I'm usually the first or second person in the office when I arrive at 7:00. I hung around for a while to make sure that the Facilities and networking operations folks were aware of the situation.  I also contacted people in my department to let them decide whether or not to drive in to the office.  A lot of the department is in Indiana for a conference and I let them know that we had no power, interwebs, phone in the office.

At about 8:30, we heard back from Progress Energy about the call that was placed yesterday evening. The transformer outside our building blew in advance of the storm (after I left but before the help desk left) and both Facilities and Progress were made aware of the outage at that time.  Anyway, when we called Progress this morning, they said our building was be back online by 9pm on Saturday.  Then Facilities came by and said that NCSU had an agreement with Progress, blah blah blah, on the way, blah blah.  This led to more waiting.  Finally I gave up and came back home to work from home.  

Swim
  • 1h 03m 43s
  • 2515.31 yards
  • -----

400 w/u
8 x 50 build
200 choice (pull, not paddles)
-
100 (50 fast, 50 easy)
200 pull
300 buld
200 pull
100 (50 fast, 50 easy)
100 (50 fast, 50 easy)
200 pull (no paddles)
100 c/d
= 2300 m

Today the pool was set up for long course meters again.

Run
  • 1h 16m 19s
  • 7.55 miles
  • 10m 06s /Mi

97 and breezy when I left... 85, pouring rain with 20+ mph wind when I returned. When I got to a signal light with just over one mile to go, I noticed very dark clouds approaching. Within a quarter mile, the winds really picked up and it got very dark. I started to feel like I was in the Wizard of Oz with the Flying Monkey music (The Jitterbug Attack) playing in the background. Leaves and branches were coming down around me. Wet leaves were sticking to me. At least the wind was to my back. I got to the entrance to my neighborhood and it started rain and within a few feet it wasn't just rain, it was a downpour!

Need to figure out how to control my heart rate better in the heat. I ran slower and slower to no avail :-/ My heart rate was way too high for this run. The main thing that I remember about the run is the last bit when the storm came through. The first 60-65 minutes, though, I was very hot and even though I slowed my pace by a full minute per mile, my heart rate was too high for a long run. Part of my frustration was that my legs were going easy and my heart was going hard. This mismatch was difficult for me and I need to figure out how to deal with it during the next few months.

My other concern about the first 60-65 minutes of my run is that if I am running slower and slower in an effort to manage my temperature/heart rate, am I getting as much from my run as I should? Or maybe it's enough for where I am in the training cycle?

Sport
  • Stretching
  • 05m

√ Run tonight

Bike
  • 2h 22m 09s
  • 44.32 miles
  • 18.71 Mi/hr

OMV: Lystra Lovely Lystra route

For this route we rode from MacGregor to Lystra which is a a popular climbing hill in the area. We go up Lystra, turn and head back. Every year, when we do this route, I do the climb and most of the rest of the group turns around at the bottom of it. This year, as expected, we got to the bottom of the climb, I was second wheel. I went up following the guy in front of me and suddenly it got very very quiet. Yes, most of the group had ditched us at the bottom of the climb! ARG! I turned around a little before we were supposed to and saw that Mike was still with me, I coasted down so that he could catch up and we rode back together.

√ Ride tonight

Believe in yourself

• Health data: Hours slept: 7.75

jmkizer's Training Log

June 2013 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Time
Distance
Time
  • Ridgewood Turkey Trot (Run)
    11/27/2014 Raleigh, North Carolina
  • Rock ā€˜nā€™ Roll Raleigh Half Marathon (Run)
    4/12/2015 Raleigh, North Carolina
  • November's totals
  • October's totals
  • 2014 totals
  • 2013 totals