Low 58F

Saturday - June 8

Bike
  • 3h 25m 28s
  • 62.16 miles
  • 18.15 Mi/hr

Ride for Life 100k

Ride for Life 100k event report

In the days leading up to the event, the weather was dominated by tropical storm Andrea which moved through the area on Friday, causing some localized flooding.  Over 5 inches of rain fell at the airport -- over half of that fell in a 90 minute timeframe.  As a result, a lot of people who had previously committed to riding with us backed out.

I got up at 6:15 with the aim of leaving the house by 7:15 for the drive to Fuquay-Varina.  It was overcast and damp and the roads were wet but the radar indicated that the storms were well west of us (100 miles or so) and heading north so I felt good about the weather.  I thought that it would take 20 or so minutes to get there but I wasn't sure of the exact location.  Anyway, I let Emma out, fed her, fed myself (breakfast cereal with a banana and some blueberries), pumped the tires on my bike and loaded it and my gear in the car.  Confirmed two shoes, helmet, gloves, etc and I was off.

When I got to downtown Fuquay-Varina, I saw several other vehicles with bikes on them so I knew that I was headed in the right direction!  I pulled into the church that was the ride start -- the ride was hosted by The Spiritual Spinners.  As I was unloading my bike and changing shoes, I saw Joan so I knew that Chris and Joan were both there.  I went around the building to the start area with big tents and saw a few other people that I know.  Pretty soon Doug was there so I knew that we had a good core group.  The ride was described as a "Challenging ride with several of the best climbs in the area from beginning to end." 

They made some announcements before we rolled out, including the fact that the route coordinator had driven the course.  That was a relief because there had been some downed trees and washouts due to the tropical storm.

The first half of the route was super fast, going down towards Harris Lake and then over to Jordan Lake.  Doug, Chris, Joan and I were with a leading a larger group for the first bit but they gradually fell away.  We skipped the first rest stop (although there was a misunderstanding where Chris said do you want to stop and I replied, "I have to blow."  I don't know what he thought that I said but we didn't stop and Chris said to go ahead and I did blow.  Joan yelled out gross but, well, whatever.)  Pretty soon after that, we were at Pea Ridge which is a long uphill.  Then we cut over to Cornith.  Shortly before we got to the second rest stop, we saw a few riders in front of us.  It was Larry and Rebekah!  Rebekah said that she was toasted so we rolled into the rest stop with them where we topped off our water bottles. The volunteers were nice but there were a zillion gnats and none of us could wait to get out of there.

After that, things got interesting.  This is where the challenging part of the ride started.  First the big hills on 42 and then Ball Road (although we agreed that Ball Road was harder the other way since we had some speed going into it this way.  Doug started to have problems on 42 but we did a nice job staying together.  It was one of our first hot and stifflingly humid days and Doug doesn't do well when it's a sweatfest out.   We did take the third rest stop as planned.  I had forgotten about the grinders on Cokesbury and Kipling.  Mental block, I'm sure.  I was happy to get back to Acadamy and then Fuquay-Varina itself.

The route was nice and the roads were good.  It was pretty much chipseal free which was nice!

After the ride, I ran some errands and them Emma and I went to Woof Gang and Starbucks.

Emma

• Health data: Hours slept: 8.25

Friday - June 7

Sport
  • Walking
  • 49m 19s

After the storm walk with Emma. When it finally stopped raining, Em and I walked downtown.

T.S. Andrea:  Rain bands began overnight, including some heavy rain in the wee hours.  We are having a little lull now.  We're expecting a second strong rain band to come through midday. Rain should start to taper off late this afternoon.  The center of the storm should pass closer to Wilmington than Raleigh.

The drive in was a bit sketchy because it was raining hard and the temperature and humidity were causing a fog-like effect to occur on the highways.  The secondary roads had a lot better visibility this morning.

TS Andrea 8am Friday

Morning JoGo was put on hold due to the rain.  The alarm went off, I let Em out and confirmed that it was raining, let Em back and slept another 45 minutes.

• Health data: Hours slept: 7.75

Thursday - June 6

Swim
  • 1h 12m 42s
  • 2515.31 yards
  • -----

300 w/u
4 x 50 kick
4 x 100 drill/swim (3-6-3, finger tip drag, catch up, powerstroke)
4 x 50 build
250 pull
50 pull c/d
= 2300 m

The pool was set up for long course meters today. Manuel said the workout was written for yards and do what we could with it.

Hoping that Tropical Storm Andrea moves further east or moves out quickly.  Right now, the forecast track has it over us between 8 am and 8 pm Friday and all the way up to the Jersey shore but 8 am Saturday. 

TS Andrea 11am Thursday storm track

No change at the 2:00 update.

Track changed slightly westward in the 5pm update which puts Andrea right over Raleigh at 2:00 tomorrow afternoon.  We're expecting a lot of rain in my immediate area and we are under a flood watch.  

Oh goodness.  Pepper spray training at work! Surprised 

No, I am not in law enforcement.

• Health data: Hours slept: 7

Wednesday - June 5

Bike
  • 2h 07m 25s
  • 41.53 miles
  • 19.56 Mi/hr

OMV- Chalybeate Springs!

I rode with the usual suspects again tonight -- Rich and Mike B. and about seven others. Good route tonight -- Cass Holt is so pretty!

Run
  • 16m 59s
  • 1.85 miles
  • 09m 10s /Mi

Grabbed Em for a short run off the bike.

Ride tonight

• Health data: Hours slept: 7.75

Tuesday - June 4

Swim
  • 1h 05m
  • 2500.00 yards
  • -----

400 w/u
6 x 50 (odd kick, even 25 drill/25 build)
4 x 200 (negative split the 100s) @ :20
4 x 100 (50 easy, 50 fast) @ :05
4 x 50 (25 easy, 25 fast) @ :05
150 swim
150 breath 3/5/7, build (I only made 25 yards at 7)
100 c/d
= 2500 yards

Sport
  • Core Training
  • 15m

Pre swim core workout

Registered for Ride for Life this Saturday.

• Health data: Hours slept: 7.5

Monday - June 3

Sport
  • Walking
  • 39m 35s

Early morning walk with Emma.

• Health data: Hours slept: 7

Sunday - June 2

Bike
  • 1h 18m 49s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.92 Mi/hr
Run
  • 59m 43s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 37s /Mi
Swim
  • 39m 26s
  • 1640.42 yards
  • 02m 24s /100 yards

• Health data: Hours slept: 6.25

jmkizer's Training Log

June 2013 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Volume

Time
Distance

Actual vs Planned

Time

Upcoming races

• Rock 'n' Roll Las Vegas Half Marathon (Run)
    11/16/2014 Las Vegas, Nevada
  • Rock ā€˜nā€™ Roll Raleigh Half Marathon (Run)
    4/12/2015 Raleigh, North Carolina

Totals

• October's totals
  • September's totals
  • 2014 totals
  • 2013 totals