Partly Cloudy
High 86F
Low 62F

Wednesday - July 10

Bike
  • 2h 05m 03s
  • 31.85 miles
  • -----

Tour de Trainer. Just tried to keep the HR in the right zone throughout. The leader of the group ride I was planning to join said, "Good thinking. No one rode after meeting in the MVSC parking lot. Drank beer at MDH." So in terms of training, I guess I made the right call.

Run
  • 16m 13s
  • 1.71 miles
  • 09m 28s /Mi

Grabbed Em for a neighborhood run off the bike.

√ Ride tonight!

Ugh.  It started to rain while I was coming home.  I'm hoping that this will not become an indoor ride.

I went outside to give it a go and it started to pour again.  Setting up the trainer.

Make a list of your dreams...

• Health data: Hours slept: 7.75

Tuesday - July 9

Swim
  • 1h 06m 09s
  • 2400.00 yards
  • -----

200 pull
100 kick
--
200 pull
100 cruise
50 fast
100 cruise
200 pull
100 cruise (fins)
50 fast
100 cruise (fins)
200 pull
8 x 75 (breath control 3/5/tarzan)
100 c/d
= 2400 yards

Run
  • 1h 04m 27s
  • 7.10 miles
  • 09m 04s /Mi

Seagroves-Haddon Hall. Good run, if somewhat juicy. At last some storms in a neighboring county knocked down the temperature a few degrees for me! Today's assignment was run 60 min (z2) with 3x5 min @ 10k pace with 5 min between.

Sport #1
  • Core Training
  • 15m

Pre swim core workout

Sport #2
  • Stretching
  • 05m

Stretching while Emma was in the yard. Hip was a bit tight. Lots of pigeon, reclining hand-to-big-toe, seated torso twist, prone quad stretch.

√ Run tonight!

√ Sports massage over the lunch hour

• Health data: Hours slept: 7

Monday - July 8

Sport #1
  • Stretching
  • 05m

Pigeon, seated torso twist, prone quad stretch.

Sport #2
  • Walking
  • 38m 47s

Early morning walk with Emma.

A bit hard to get moving this morning!  ARG!

I'm doing BikeMS again this year.  If you have any spare change and feel like donating, here's my fundraising letter ;-)

Bike MS Logo

In just under two months -- on September 7-8th, I will be riding 200 miles in the Bike MS 2013: Historic New Bern Ride where I will be joining over 2,000 other cyclists in an event benefiting the  Eastern North Carolina Chapter of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society.  This 2 day cycling event is a fund-raising effort supporting the the MS Society's mission to end the devastating effects of this chronic, often disabling, disease of the central nervous system.

I participate in the Bike MS because it is fun, that's true, but I truly was inspired by a friend of mine who was diagnosed with MS in about 2003. Cathy is very active and athletic and it really affected me when she started to have health issues. I was shocked when the diagnosis finally turned out to be MS. I've known other people with the disease but they were more internet buddies or people that I knew in passing. I worry for Cathy and with her and really do want to help support people with MS. You can help by sponsoring my efforts. 

Each cyclist participating in Bike MS must raise a minimum of $300 to ride.  My personal goal is to raise $1000.  I want to make a difference in the fight against MS!   Sponsor me by going to http://main.nationalmssociety.org/goto/jmkizer2013.

Donations of every size are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated.

I hope I can count on you to help me reach my goal.

• Health data: Hours slept: 7

Sunday - July 7

Bike
  • 48m 04s
  • 13.14 miles
  • 16.40 Mi/hr

Easy ride before the run. Checked out the construction of the new high school on Humie Olive. Boy, will that change the area when it's completed.

Run
  • 1h 33m 01s
  • 10.02 miles
  • 09m 16s /Mi

Good run - overall I'm happy with the results. Very humid. Seemed harder than it should have been -- I felt more "crunchy" and less smooth out there.

Damn them for putting the Tour on so early!  I put it on and then I had a hard time getting moving!

• Health data: Hours slept: 8

Saturday - July 6

Bike
  • 3h 37m 15s
  • 67.56 miles
  • 18.66 Mi/hr

Nice ride. No one really wanted to go fast. I think that everyone was a bit tired out from Firecracker on Thursday. We talked about Hal's group and the turtle incident (turtle avoidance on Pea Ridge in front group at Firecracker let to on broken jaw, one set of cracked ribs including punctured lung and one concussion).

Someone that none of the regulars knew had a problem unclipping and fell over (well, he fell over at a stop sign so I am assuming) and he broke his derailleur. We gave the ride leader a hard time. "He's never going to come back now!" "The ride leader pushed me and then left me at the side of the road... to DIE!" (He actually called his wife to pick him up.)

Towards the end of the ride, someone bumped a large rock (like the size of two fists together) and it skittered right in front of me. I hit it dead on. With both wheels. Thankfully, no flat of wheel problems. This is why l love Kysrium wheels and Conti 4000 S tires.

Total ride time/distance includes 10 mile ride to shop and 6 mile ride home.

• Health data: Hours slept: 8

Friday - July 5

Bike
  • 57m 13s
  • 12.73 miles
  • 13.35 Mi/hr

Cross bike cruise. White Oak Creek trail. I briefly considered some other options but this one was close so I picked it. Just a short, fun, recovery ride on the cross bike.

Sport
  • Walking
  • 42m

Morning walk with Emma. We added on a bit of the Shepherd's Vineyard greenway today. That section is in even worse shape that the other section. I am under the impression that the town of Apex is going to eventually take ovjavascript:void(0);er this greenway. I wonder what the plans are for getting it into decent shape before this occurs?

• Health data: Hours slept: 9

Thursday - July 4

Bike
  • 3h 01m 58s
  • 60.10 miles
  • 19.82 Mi/hr

Firecracker 100k

Started with friends.  We got into a big group.  Lost friends somewhere around Holly Springs.  Did not see them at the second rest stop (we had agreed to skip the first one), I went on.  As usual, the big group broke up after the rest stop and we were much less organized after that.  Got to the bottom of Pea Ridge and the road was closed.  There were first responders and an ambulance there.  We heard something about a turtle?  They let us pass after only a few minutes.  Looking back, I remember seeing the ambulance pull out of the fire station at the top of Pea Ridge.  Stopped to top off my water at the third rest stop and finished up the ride.  My parents like to come to this one for whatever reason and I saw them at the finish.  Then I went home, made key lime pie and side items for the cookout and they came back to my house for a cookout in the evening.

After the ride

CUSTARD!

• Health data: Hours slept: 7.5

jmkizer's Training Log

July 2013 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31   

Volume