• 14.99 miles
  • 18.63 Mi/hr

Old 1 to New Hill and back

Run
  • 16m 14s
  • 1.84 miles
  • 08m 49s /Mi

Seagroves Farm

Grabbed Em for a short run off the bike. We ran through Seagroves Farm and around the pond in the park there. Emma said, "You try doing this with fur!"

√ Brick tonight

And of course it started to rain while I was on my way home.  I think that I can wait it out.

After our run, Em and I went to a concert at Waverly Place.  There was a shag band.  We had a great time!  She got lots of pets but was not that interested in dancing with me.

Band playing

Emma watching the band

Emma watching the band and the kids

• Health data: Hours slept: 7.75
Swim
  • 57m 40s
  • 2050.00 yards
  • -----

400 w/u
8 x 50 (2 kick, 2 swim, 2 drill, 2 swim)
4 x (100 smooth @ 20, 2 x 50 fast @ 15, 2 x 25 easy @ 10), 1 minute between sets
200 pull
= 2050 yards

I spoke with Erin after today's session and she said that she is happy with my body rotation. The main thing that she'd like me to work on is improving my swim-specific leg strength. She also said that she's seen noticeable improvement in the two months that she's been coaching our Tuesday sessions.

Run
  • 1h 02m 44s
  • 7.01 miles
  • 08m 56s /Mi

Seagroves Farm-Haddon Hall

Wet run. Spitting rain throughout. It wasn't a downpour or anything to that was good and it was more pleasant than running when it's 95 out so that's also good. I'm just sick of the rain.

Today's assignment: Run 60 min (z2) with 10 min @ 1/2 marathon pace

Sport #1
  • Core Training
  • 15m

Pre swim core workout

Sport #2
  • Stretching
  • 05m

√ Run tonight

More rain... it could be a wet run!

I wanted to experiment with MOOCs -- massive open online courses -- a bit and I am currently taking two classes through Coursera.  In one of the video lectures, the speaker said that 30% of all food produced in developing countries goes to waste. 

BTW, the two courses are Sustainability of Food Systems: A Global Life Cycle Perspective and Internet History, Technology, and Security. The internet course is way more entertaining but both are good.

• Health data: Hours slept: 7
Sport
  • Walking
  • 38m 35s

Early morning walk with Emma

Third wettest June on record in Raleigh with 10.08 inches of rain.  Normal is 3.52 inches.  No wonder it's seemed wet!

Bike
  • 2h 09m 07s
  • 39.52 miles
  • 18.36 Mi/hr

Beaver Creek-Martha's Chapel-Carpenter Firestation. Nice solo ride. Enjoyed it!

Sport
  • Stretching
  • 05m

• Health data: Hours slept: 8.5
Bike
  • 3h 14m 37s
  • 63.12 miles
  • 19.46 Mi/hr

CSH group ride. Finalized plans for Firecracker. Hopefully this means that we'll do a better job of finding each other than we did last year!

Heard back about the B2B run course:

We are updating the run slightly to eliminate confusion we saw last year. Once we get final approval and city edits we will update the maps and include turn by turns.

• Health data: Hours slept: 9
Sport
  • Walking
  • 37m 24s

Early morning walk with Emma. She's back to her normal self after her dental yesterday. Em was a bit woozy for much of last evening.

Mind numbing website moving at work today.  How important is the site if no one has maintained the links?  Oh well, it's a job and they do deposit money into my bank account on a regular basis.  Seriously though, sometimes the websites are interesting.  Today's, however, not so much.

In other news, DH is going to make me crazy.  His work life kind of sucks so he has been hiding out at home instead of going to the office.  This means that I get up and he's home, I go to work, come back, he's there.  I work out, come home.  He's there.  I get back from a run and he meets me at the door all like, where is dinner.  He cancelled our trip earlier this month because his vacation time was messed up and he needed that time for Week of Rivers this week (today through July 7) which is a big whitewater kayak thing in the mountains.  All of this togetherness that has been driving me nuts was sort of OK because I knew that I would have this break.  Well, guess who decided not to go to the mountains this week?  They're going to take me away haha They're going to take me away hehe

And yes, I know that I shouldn't vent here but... whatever.

Swim
  • 1h 10m 31s
  • 2624.67 yards
  • -----

300 w/u
2 x (100 pull, 100 kick, 100 swim @ 20)
8 x 50, 1-4 and 5-8 descending @ 15
4 x 100, descending recovery, 20, 15, 10
8 x 50, 1-4 and 5-8 descending @ 15
2 x 100, descending recovery, 30, 20
100 pull c/d
= 2400 m

Long course Thursdays continue!

Manuel said to keep on focusing on core and rotation to lengthen stroke. Focus on center line to prevent any fishtailing.

Run
  • 1h 04m 43s
  • 6.86 miles
  • 09m 25s /Mi

Haddon Hall. 86 and juicy out. Good run, if a bit sweaty. I think that I maxed out my heart rate on the Brittley hill. Yikes!

Sport
  • Stretching
  • 05m

√ Run tonight

Poor poor Emma.  First, her day started out with No Breakfast.  I explained the whole "brunch" concept to her last night but she was not amused at the actual implementation of the plan.  Then she went to the vet.  This is good!  Fans! (wait until she finds out about the dental procedure) This was followed by sad news on the scale.  Up six pounds.  Six.  Yes SIX!  (from 44 to 50 pounds)  Has she been eating more?  No.  Changed food?  No.  Treats?  Same.  Exercise?  Same.  Kevin can work from home so he has dog drop off duties.  He misremembered Em's previous weight. She was up 1.7 pounds and the vet is unconcerned.  I'm sure that Emma is relieved!

Emma did fine with the dental.  She also had a mani pedi while she was sleeping.  She has a 3:00 release time so it'll be a late brunch!

jmkizer's Training Log

July 2013 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31   

Time
Distance
Time
  • Commitment Day 5k (Run)
    1/1/2015 Cary, North Carolina
  • Dasani Myrtle Beach Half Marathon (Run)
    2/14/2015 Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
  • Shamrock Marathon (Run)
    3/22/2015 Virginia Beach, Virginia
  • December's totals
  • November's totals
  • 2014 totals
  • 2013 totals