TUESDAY
Sunny
High 66F
Low 48F
Bike
  • 1h 59m 05s
  • 34.54 miles
  • 17.40 Mi/hr

OMV group ride -- but there was a thunderstorm that had just ended and no one showed up. It was sprinkling lightly and I road the 2.5 miles to the meeting location. David was there with one other person. Both were in street clothes and said they were going for beer. I did the route that was (hilly) posted for the day as a solo ride. The roads were dry by the time I got to the turnaround.

Run
  • 20m 48s
  • 2.13 miles
  • 09m 46s /Mi

Grabbed Em for a short run off the bike

√ Ride tonight!

√ Sports massage this noon.

Traditional calendar schools start here next week.  The school buses are out practicing their routes.  I got behind two of them this morning.  I may have to adjust my leave-for-work time this school year.  (BTW, classes at NCSU start today.)

• Health data: Hours slept: 7.75
Swim
  • 1h 04m 02s
  • 2515.31 yards
  • -----

The pool was set up for long course today. It's been a long time since it was set up that way on a Tuesday! Also, Erin was not on deck since she is still in Mont-Tremblant so we had Marty on deck today.

300 w/u with spot forwards
100 kick
6 x 50 pull, stretch/long @ 10-15
-
300, last 25 of each 100 fast @ 20-30
200 pull @ 20-30
100 fast
50 easy kick, turn mid pool
300, last 25 of each 100 fast @ 20-30
200 pull @ 20-30
100 fast
50 easy kick, turn mid pool
-
200 swim (fins)
100 c/d
= 2300 meters

Run
  • 1h 06m 01s
  • 7.13 miles
  • 09m 15s /Mi

Waterford-Downtown-Peakway route

The weather was more comfortable than last Tuesday but less comfortable than it was on Sunday morning. I did a much better job managing my heart rate than I did last Tuesday. Today the heat index was 87 at the end of my run and it was 99 at the end of my run last week.

Today's plan called for 3x5 min @ 8k pace with 5 min mid run.

Sport #1
  • Core Training
  • 15m

Pre swim core workout

Sport #2
  • Stretching
  • 05m

Run tonight!

Chocolate won't let you down.

• Health data: Hours slept: 7.25
Sport
  • Walking
  • 38m 23s

Rainy morning walk with Emma

My DeSoto 400 mile shorts have been acting up.  My old ones were causing chaffing on the seems along the waist band.  They were more than two years old so I thought I'd replace them.  I word the DeSotos for the whole day (swim, bike and run, no changing) for both B2B and Vineman and I want to wear the same bottoms throughout B2B again this year. Sadly, the new pair of 400 mile shorts gets very baggy when wet.  I'm not sure that I want to run a marathon in them.

I was thinking that I'd try the Pearl Izumi In-R-Cool once but I was unsure about the chamois.  The Orca 226s were recommended (and a good price) so I went ahead and got them figuring that even if they were spin class shorts, that would be OK.  I also ordered some 2XU shorts.  I'm a little unsure about the order.  If I try them on and don't love them, I will need to be strong and take advantage of the "no hassle return."  Sadly, Inside-Out shop has very little in stock.  I went to Chapel Hill yesterday and the TrySports store is not even close to being ready to open (TrySports had a Raleigh store but it was at a high end mall and they closed.  I imagine the rent was sky high.  There has been a "coming soon" type sign in Chapel Hill for months so I decided to check it out yesterday.  No joy.), thus the mail order route.

I contacted DeSoto about the problem and they said try going down a size.  I'm not sure that will work because they fit at the waist even when wet.

FWIW, my favorite bike (not tri) short is the Terry Bella.

• Health data: Hours slept: 7
Run
  • 1h 34m 04s
  • 10.25 miles
  • 09m 10s /Mi

Olive Chapel to Apex BBQ and back

Nice run. 70 degrees and a million percent humidity beats last week's weather by about 20 degrees ;-)

Old Lystra-Lower River Road route is on tap for next Saturday.  Unless I rework it ride up Jack Bennett again.

So happy for Erin, who is on deck with us at masters swim on Tuesday mornings.  She came in 8th in her age group at Mont-Tremblant today.  She finished in 11:42:54 and completed the swim in 54:57.

• Health data: Hours slept: 8.25
Bike
  • 5h 04m 01s
  • 90.03 miles
  • 17.80 Mi/hr

Holy boot dryer, was it wet out! It was dry for the first 40 minutes and then steady rain (mostly light, thankfully) for the next four hours or so. The last bit was just mist.

Morrisville-Bennett-Cornith route

Time to start paying attention to on-the-bike nutrition. I had two fig newtons, two Clif bars and a Honey Stinger Waffle. Kinda debated on the waffle but ate it ;-) I started with two bottles of water (with CamelBak Elixir) and I got a 1 liter bottle en route. Did not finish the water. It was 69 when I left the house and the same when I returned. Since I'm apparently doing the full weather report -- winds about 5mph.

• Health data: Hours slept: 8
Sport
  • Walking
  • 36m 14s

Early morning walk with Emma. Beautiful morning walk followed by a gorgeous sunrise!

This unit of my Science of Gastronomy course has been fairly interesting.  I enjoy baking breads (neither gluten free nor paleo here!) and it was about leavening agents.  Mostly I knew this but it's interesting to hear some of the science behind it.

Factors Affecting the Formation of Gluten
Protein ( think higher protein flour, aka bread flour versus cake flour) Strengthens
Oxidizers Strengthens
Acidity Weakens
Water It depends
* Too little water and the texture will be crumbly and the dough will not come together at all
* Too much flour and it will lack structure
Salt Strengthens
Sugar Limits.  Sugar competes for water.
Fats/Oils Weakens

Also of interest -- to me at least -- butter acts as an anti-staling agent by keeping the starch grains in the flour separate.

Salt decreases the stability of egg white foam and sugar increases the stability of egg white foam.  Interesting because I checked my go-to angel food cake recipe and you add the salt with the egg whites (and cream of tartar, which I know is a stabilizer).

Swim
  • 1h 13m 51s
  • 2843.39 yards
  • -----

Long course Thursday continues!

300 spot forwards/siting
100 swim
100 kick
100 pull
100 swim
2 x 100 (drill down, swim back)
-
Main set, 4 rounds, 20-30 sec recovery between rounds
50 ez @ 10-15
100 fast @ 10-15
150 moderate @ 10-15
50 fastest @ 10-15
50 ez @ 10-15
-
100 c/d with fins
= 2600 meters

Bike
  • 2h 06m 37s
  • 38.82 miles
  • 18.40 Mi/hr

Beaver Creek-Martha's Chapel-Carpenter Firestation

Sport
  • Stretching
  • 05m

√ Bike tonight!

Hmmm.  So IM Chattanooga.  I was thinking Vineman for next year but Kevin was making noise about vacation time (he hopes to be in a different job by next summer) and this could work.  Of course if we end up going there for a training weekend it could end up taking as much vacation time as Vineman.

Anyway, while I'm mulling over those options, Myrtle Beach marathon registrations opened up and I signed up for that.

jmkizer's Training Log

August 2013 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
     1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Time
Distance
Time
  • Rock 'n' Roll Las Vegas Half Marathon (Run)
    11/16/2014 Las Vegas, Nevada
  • Rock ā€˜nā€™ Roll Raleigh Half Marathon (Run)
    4/12/2015 Raleigh, North Carolina
  • October's totals
  • September's totals
  • 2014 totals
  • 2013 totals