Sunny
High 90F
Low 65F

Monday - September 30

Sport
  • Walking
  • 37m 53s

Early morning walk with Emma

Another story from the triathlon that I ran across yesterday.  As I was riding, I passed someone.  As I approached this rider, I noticed that he had on running shoes.  And a hoodie.  And very loose, knee length shorts.  And an aero helmet.

When I saw the running shoes and hoodie, I figured this was his first triathlon and he didn't want to invest in equipment.  When I saw the shorts I though that he was just being modest and pulled them on quickly after the swim.  When I saw the aero helmet, was was like WHAT?!  In case you are wondering, yes, the hoodie was pulled up over the back of the helmet.  Yes, it was one of the longer, pointer aero helmets too.  Coneheads anyone?

I just read a post on ST about IM Chat and the current Tennessee River water temperatures (since the event is a year away).  Apparently local swimmers were measuring it at 78 degrees this week.  Since 78 is higher than 76...

Sunrise at the arboretum

sunrise

flower at sunrise

• Health data: Hours slept: 7

Sunday - September 29

Bike
  • 2h 08m 07s
  • 36.31 miles
  • 17.00 Mi/hr

NC Bike Route 2 to Angier and back. This was meant to be a zone 2 ride but it was clear that I was not recovered from yesterday's ride. I noticed this in the first bit from Apex to Fuquay-Varina. My heart rate was just not going up and I kept on thinking that I needed to get it into gear. When I got to Fuquay-Varina, I saw several other tri bikes. Wait! They have numbers. OMG! I'm in the middle of a triathlon and I didn't even sign up for this one. I kept pace with the racers. My heart rate was still not going up. Poo. Anyway, I continue to Angier and turned around to head back. My average speed dropped on the way back. It would be easy to blame it on hills or wind but really, I think that it was just that I did not recover well. At any rate, two hour tour in the books.

Quick story about Angier. It's a small town between Raleigh and I-95 and it's pronounced An-jeer. Well, a friend of mine who was born and raised in NJ and used to shopping in NYC and being exposed to the NY media moved here and was very excited. Clearly Etienne Aigner had some sort of manufacturing facility near Raleigh! OUTLETS! She was so disappointed!

In other news, saddle sore flared up again today after behaving pretty well yesterday. I had been thinking about swapping out the saddle on my road bike to a Terry Butterfly and I went and did that today. A Specialized Evade helmet somehow ended up in the basket as well.

Run
  • 2h 02m 58s
  • 13.11 miles
  • 09m 23s /Mi

Downtown-Bond Park-Apex Park

Nice run! Overall, I'm really pleased with this run. I love this route and that helps ;-)

Swim
  • 25m 02s
  • 929.57 yards
  • -----

Short open water swim at Lake Jordan, Ebenezer Church entrance.

Happy National Coffee Day!

Terry Butterfly TI saddle

• Health data: Hours slept: 8.5

Saturday - September 28

Bike
  • 6h 16m 06s
  • 110.71 miles
  • 17.70 Mi/hr

Penny-Shearon Harris-Bennett-Lower River

Another uneventful solo ride. Same route as last week. I thought that it went better than last week's long ride even though last week was slightly faster. I think that it was a bit windier today (headwind on final 10 miles) and I also think that I had less pressure because Kevin is out of town (less pressure to get home by a certain time leading to a less stressful ride, that is).

• Health data: Hours slept: 8.5

Friday - September 27

Sport
  • Walking
  • 37m 41s

Early morning walk with Emma

It looks like a beautiful weekend is on tap!

Relish today. Ketchup tomorrow.

Thursday - September 26

Swim
  • 1h 12m 07s
  • 2734.03 yards
  • -----

400 w/u with spot forwards
50 drill (6/3/6)
50 swim (fins)
100 kick
100 pull
50 drill (6/3/6)
50 swim (fins)
100 kick
100 pull
-
Three times:
50 free @5
100 steady @10
150 build @15
100 pull @10
100 fast @ 30
= 2500 meters (LCM)

Bike
  • 2h 35m 04s
  • 47.11 miles
  • 18.23 Mi/hr

Pea Ridge-Beaver Creek-Carpenter Firestation-Davis

Overall it was a good ride. Same workout as last week -- 20 minute at HIM. I have to admit that for section mid ride I was cursing Maija but I got it together after that! Beautiful weather. Great excuse to cut out of work early!

The saddle sore situation was better than last week but still present. I have a physical in just over a week. If it's still acting up, I may talk to the doc about it then.

Sport
  • Stretching
  • 05m

√ Ride tonight!

Like last week I'm taking a few hours of vacation this afternoon to get this in -- I had several days and 6 hours of vacation to schedule for the year and I took two hours last week, two today and two next Thursday.  It'll be good.  Makes for an easy work day Smile

Believe in yourself

Wednesday - September 25

Bike
  • 1h 04m 25s
  • 19.13 miles
  • 17.82 Mi/hr

OMV group ride - Thru the Hilly 'hood route

There was a neighborhood and there were hills!

Last Oh Melo Velo ride of 2013. :-(

Run
  • 31m 12s
  • 3.44 miles
  • 09m 04s /Mi

Short run through downtown after the group ride

√ Ride tonight!

• Health data: Hours slept: 7.75

Tuesday - September 24

Swim
  • 1h 03m 55s
  • 2515.31 yards
  • -----

300 w/u
200 pull
100 kick
-
300 pull
200 smooth/tempo
100 fast
200 pull
200 tempo (zoomers)
200 fast (zoomers)
100 tempo (zoomers) <- first temp was written as 300 but the other person in my lane stopped at 200 so I thought I was wrong and stopped. I did the 200 fast and then looked at the board...
100 pull
300 c/d
= 2300 meters (LCM)

Run
  • 1h 11m 45s
  • 8.00 miles
  • 08m 58s /Mi

Waterford Green-Haddon Hall

Beautiful day for an after work run! 72 degrees with blue skies and fluffy clouds. Just a light breeze! I could get used to this!

Today's assignment was to run 70 min (z2) with 2x8 min @ 1/2 marathon pace with 8 min easy between. It is In The Books!

Sport #1
  • Core Training
  • 15m

Pre swim core workout

Sport #2
  • Stretching
  • 05m

√ Run tonight!

Hills are speedwork in disguise.

jmkizer's Training Log

September 2013 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30     

Volume

Time
Distance

Actual vs Planned

Time

Upcoming races

• Ironman Chattanooga (Triathlon)
    9/28/2014 Chattanooga, Tennessee
  • Rock 'n' Roll Las Vegas Half Marathon (Run)
    11/16/2014 Las Vegas, Nevada
  • MyrtleBeach.com Myrtle Beach Marathon (Run)
    2/14/2015 Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

Totals

• August's totals
  • July's totals
  • 2014 totals
  • 2013 totals