SATURDAY
Partly Cloudy
High 89F
Low 72F
Run
  • 39m 59s
  • 2.70 miles
  • 14m 48s /Mi

According to Strava this is trending faster. How exciting! ;)

Progress. 

• Oil change <-- this probably won't get done.
  • Haircut. (I cut it myself. As predicted by Chris... that was a disaster) 
  • Dinner in the city with Chris
  • Coordinate getting back to work on Thursday AM with Brant. This is mostly coordinated. 
  • Dinner today with Kathy
  • Ride bikes Tuesday night with Amy. Coordinate bike + potential masters + working. 
  • Swim Wednesday AM? Tuesday AM early? Masters? Oooooohhhh the M word.
  • Take a half day Friday.
  • Walk 2x Walk 1x

Yeah.... I didn't do the remaining 4 miles this morning. I almost got out of bed to do it... but I didn't.

Recovery week.

Dinner tonight with my friend Kathy.

The list of things I need to get done this recovery week is staggering:

• Oil change <-- this probably won't get done.
  • Haircut. (I cut it myself. As predicted by Chris... that was a disaster) 
  • Dinner in the city with Chris
  • Coordinate getting back to work on Thursday AM with Brant.
  • Dinner today with Kathy
  • Ride bikes Tuesday night with Amy. Coordinate bike + potential masters + working. 
  • Swim Wednesday AM? Tuesday AM early? Masters? Oooooohhhh the M word.
  • Take a half day Friday.
  • Walk 2x

• Health data: Hours slept: 8
Run
  • 1h 33m 12s
  • 5.70 miles
  • 16m 21s /Mi

Hotter than a bulls ass out there today. Was prancing along just fine in my new shoes when I got a text message from Chris asking me if I needed a ride because of the storms rolling in. Storms? I didn't see any storms? Clear as a bell up ahead!

Oh. But if I turned around...

Dark angry clouds! Thunder! Lightening! The whole 9 yards!

I decided I'd try to make it as close to home as possible. Walked about another mile and told Chris to meet me on my final stretch before I got back near the house. I was only a little more than half way finished...

So Chris picked me up and no sooner was I in the car than it started pouring rain, thundering, hailing, and there was generalized meterological drama.

Weather lasted for about an hour, and when the skies cleared it was so humid the streets were steaming. I was just done. Went and got a pedicure and an eyebrow wax and vowed to do the remaining 4 ish miles tomorrow morning. No more outside, no more exercise, just no more for today.

Bike
  • 6h 44m 28s
  • 106.31 miles
  • 15.77 Mi/hr

Started out with a bunch of people I didn't know. I don't like riding with unknowns, so I was only too pleased when they decided to turn around when we arrived @ Lake Geneva, after pushing the pace knowing full well they weren't doing any loops!

Chris and Amy and I soldiered on to do 2 loops of Lake Geneva. That's a beast of a ride and there's a lot of climbing on both sides of the lake. Glad we got that in. Next weekend is Dairyland Dare and the following weekend is the Madison Open Water swim and riding the IMWI course... so I've got my training cut out for me over the next coupla weeks. This coming week is a recovery week, nominally. Still featuring a huge hilly bike ride, but I'm gonna take it easy during the week.

We had to slow the pace down a bit because Amy was having trouble hanging onto Team Parker. Chris and I did a great job today working together.

All in all I'm glad it's over and it went well.

Stopped in @ Wheel Werks after the ride and picked up some Reynolds carbon wheels for Spartacus. Looks super legit.

106 miles in the bank and still smiling! Salty, but smiling!  

Went with Brant and his wife and his Aunt and Uncle and Chris to attend a free taping in Millenium Park of WAIT WAIT DON'T TELL ME. Brant and Chris are NPR geeks.

Didn't take many photos, but Brant took this one, and my hair looks fried. Frightening. I need a haircut.

City at Night!

Another exhausting and demoralizing day at work.  Nixed the bike ride in favor of some downtime and TV and going to bed early for tomorrow's EARLY & LONG ride. 

Saturday -- LONG BIKE 5+ hours up in CL. 
Sunday -- LONG WALK 10 miles (hopefully my damn shoes show up!)

• Health data: Hours slept: 8
Swim
  • 48m 38s
  • 2296.59 yards
  • 02m 07s /100 yards

Sort of a rush job but proud of myself for getting up, driving to XSport and getting this accomplished. Need to swim more.

400 swim/warm up
400 pull (somehow, according to Garmin, this was slower than the straight swimming. I kept losing my buoy)
350 swim (This was something... I forget what)
Whoops! I missed a 50
50 Then I swam it.
4 x 100
1) 1:46
2) 1:44
3) 1:44
4) 1:45
8 x 25 alternating easy/hard
200 swim pull
100 cool down
-----------------
2100 M.

Sport
  • Massage
  • 20m

We have 20 minute chair massages offered at work... for $1 a minute. I decided to sneak one in today. Glad I did.

Fell asleep in that weird massage chair while she was whaling on my upper back and shoulders. I'm tired. Clearly.

Not going to walk on the treadmill @ lunchtime. I need an hour to myself to sit down, relax, eat some good food and stop worrying about cramming my workouts in. I am just done for today. Also thinking that maybe Monday isn't a great idea for a recovery day. I could REALLY use it later in the week. Whatever. I'm done. DONE thinking about this. 

THE REARRANGED SCHEDULE:

Thursday --Swim AM/Walk Lunch (as much as possible at lunchtime)/City PM ("Wait Wait Don't Tell Me" taping) 
Friday -- Bike PM

TBT!

July 2002.

Run
  • 45m 08s
  • 2.99 miles
  • 15m 05s /Mi

Woke up early and Chris said thunderstorms were imminent, so we decided to push off the bike ride til... someothertime. Laid in bed for a while, went thru my options, and decided I had to do a short walk or SOMETHING this morning, or else this week should just become a recovery week. I want my recovery week NEXT WEEK, so I did this, and will ride tonight.

Trying to figure out where to put my second swim this week. I have to take the train tomorrow AM so that makes an AM workout sort of sketchy. I could do a walk at lunchtime at the gym, or, when Brant picks me up at the train, I could have him deposit me at Xsport and I could do the swim in the AM, getting it out of the way and leaving the PM clear.

THIS is why Ironman training is so MENTALLY EXHAUSTING. THIS IS IT.

Bike
  • 1h 14m 02s
  • 16.70 miles
  • 13.53 Mi/hr

CX Bikes on the path going NORTH this time. Some crushed limestone. Mostly paved.

Not exactly 1:30-1:45 but I couldn't leave work til 6pm. So... I do what I can. Legs felt dead in the beginning but perked up toward the end. We went off roading for part of this ride and that felt unfamiliar and awkward. I don't particularly like riding around in the grass and dirt.

Anyway, it was OK. Very warm outside.

Crossing this off the list and now I'm packing my bag for tomorrow!

So, yesterday after my swim, I didn't shower. I didn't change. I didn't do anything but crawl out of the pool, wrap a towel around my waist, jump in the car and drive home. I then forgot to shower at home, because I fell asleep on the couch. This morning I reeked of chlorine as I sweat on my walk. This is so glamorous.

The plan is this for tomorrow: Take 6:13 AM train. B picks me up and drops me off at Xsport. I should get there around 7. A short swim is better than no swim, so the plan will be to swim 2000-2200. Then get dressed and walk to work. THEN, at lunchtime, a treadmill walk. That alleviates some pressure for the week, and lets me have just 1 workout on Friday before a big weekend.

The new plan for tomorrow... drive to XSport, do the swim, leave the car here at work overnight, and take the train on Friday when I don't have an AM workout. Jesus.

For all the things my hands have held
The best by far is you

Cecilia and the Satellite

Loving this song.

THE REARRANGED SCHEDULE:

Wednesday -- Walk AM/Bike hard PM 1:30-1:45 with interval.
Thursday --Swim AM/Walk Lunch (as much as possible at lunchtime)/City PM ("Wait Wait Don't Tell Me" taping) 
Friday -- Bike PM

Whizzzzz's Training Log

August 2015 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31     

Time
Distance
Time
  • August's totals