Bike
  • 55m 31s
  • 15.01 miles
  • 16.22 Mi/hr

Power Test.

Sport
  • Physical Therapy
  • 1h 00m

Extension. Extension. Extension. TKE, Straight leg walking, All extensions all the time.

OUCH. FUCKING OUCH.

ICE + eSTIM.

I think we're going to try that POWER TEST tonight. Knee feels brand new!

So there it is. FTP of 138. Not terrible for a mostly retired, fat, out of shape, wanna be Ironman-redo with 1.75 legs. 

Swim
  • 51m 52s
  • 2720.88 yards
  • 01m 54s /100 yards

7 minutes late, and I didn't press start til after the first 100. Otherwise did the whole workout. Details to follow. Am hungry.

400 warm up
400 pull w/paddles
8 x 25 fast + recover
4 x 50 drill
4 x 125 (100 IM + 25 choice)
4 x 75 Something... I don't remember
300 no walls (!)
100 cool down
-----------
2400 I'm missing something???

Swim tonight.

Power test tonight.

Those are 3 words I've never said in a row before. Hahahaha.

So I just went to my F/U appt.

1. My PT came along, bc she wanted to meet the doctor.
  2. Doctor showed us all my surgery photos and explained them all.
    1. Shit's pretty messed up in my knee. What I got is an oil change, he says. To demonstrate the decrepit condition of my knee, he pulled up photos of a good knee with an acute ligament injury that he operated on. This was to demonstrate what the surfaces are supposed to look like. Hah. Right. OK. Notatall.
    2. Nevertheless, he says I'm doing well, given the condition of things in there.
  3. I have more PT in my future. I have not graduated. I am being sent back. Hah. Probably 2x a week now, with the unwavering emphasis on extension. They are supposed to push the hell out of my joint. It has a "SOFT STOP" according to my PT and the Dr. wants her to rock through it.
  4. I had a full syringe of gross, yellow, orange looking fluid drained off my knee.
  5. I had a cortisone injection.
  6. I am to ice and elevate tonight, and tomorrow, activities as tolerated.

So no power test for me tonight.

• Health data: Hours slept: 9
Swim
  • 48m 10s
  • 2269.25 yards
  • 01m 51s /100 yards

Imagine yourself... a little (ok, a lot) out of shape, attempting to make your return to the pool. Imagine yourself finally (sort of) getting the hang of your old pal swimming again, and feeling better about things. Imagine having whatever tenuous confidence you may have gathered ripped from your grasp, as you flinged and flailed and choked and chortled trying not to get seriously lapped by some guy that looked like a chubby Michael Phelps.

That was me, tonight.

I don't even know what parts of this workout I did, and what parts I had to skip. It was a 2500 M workout and I got about 2100 in, according to Garmin, which seems about right. I'm not even sure I can recount it back, honestly.

Went a little something like this:

400 every 4th backstroke
4 x 50 stroke/drill
50 fast
100 pace
150 (50 easy/fast/easy)
200 negative split by 100
250 something, I don't recall
300 pace. (Hahahahahaha. No.)
250 something, I don't recall
200 negative split by 100
150 E/F/E
100 pace
50 fast
100 cool down.
---------
2500 M

Holy Snow, Batman.

I knew we were supposed to get a "dusting" of snow, but we really got a BLANKETING of SNOWY/ICE bullshit. My drive to work, which normally takes about 35 min, took all of 1:25 today and I barely made it without hurting myself or anyone else. Step on the brakes and SLLLLLIIIIIIIIIIDDDDDDDDEEEEEEEE. Into a curb. Sideways. Whatever. As long as I didn't hit the car in front of me, or slide into oncoming traffic. I tried really hard to keep it together, which resulted in an average speed of like 15 MPH.
By the time I got to work, my R arm was numb. I was gripping the steering wheel with such force that I think I trapped a nerve in there someplace. My upper back was all tensed up too. WTF. This right here is why people leave Illinois. 

The view out the window. WTF.

Took it easy on my knee today. Did. Nothing. 

Well, I did list items on eBay and I managed to spend my entire PayPal account on new stuff from Express. I have essentially traded clothes. 

I will do my HEP. Lucky for me, I can execute the maneuvers while still in my PJs. 

• Health data: Hours slept: 10
Run
  • 1h 08m 47s
  • 4.00 miles
  • 17m 11s /Mi

With Chris.

Hmmmmmmm. Knee really was not into this toward the end.

Chris wore jeans. I was treating this as a workout, and Chris wore casual-wear AND played Words With Friends while I was slogging away.

Out to dinner last night with my pal Brant and his fiancee, celebrating her residency match @ the University of Chicago. She's going to be a  Dr. of Pharmacy. Brant is the much younger, much skinner, much more male version of... me. It's eerie sometimes.

We drank some good wine, had some good conversation, had a great meal, and I left the restaurant with that warm, full, swishy feeling I love so much. 

This also means that I woke up this morning with a bit of a food and drink hangover. 

Here's our awkward photo: 

Brant and Aly look cute, I look like I've got a stick jammed up my ass, and Chris is trying to keep me from falling over. 

Whizzzzz's Training Log

March 2015 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31    

Time
Distance
Time
  • March's totals