High 67F
Low 47F

Sunday - April 20

Saturday - April 19

Bike
  • 2h 37m 41s
  • 37.90 miles
  • -----

This was so hard it's laughable. I've got a long way to go on the bike. Let's just all agree on that right now. Wow.

It was 34 degrees to start. Wore my magic jacket + shorts and full length legwarmers, a fleece band around my ears, and full finger gloves. Tried to ride without the gloves, but I lasted exactly 7 minutes before I had to stop and put them on. I also had a mostly flat rear tire that I had to stop and fill with air over and over again. Probably a tube issue, but my tires are pretty worn out too. Would serve me well to get 2 new tires for my non race wheels.

It gradually warmed up (and we were ROCKIN' a tail wind) throughout the first half of the ride. Then we went up DeerPass and back down directly into the cold wind, which was blowing from the SE. And we had to go both south and east to get home.

We can sum up my cycling like this:

1) I've very little cycling specific fitness right now, I am relying on strength training and whatever remnants of my cycling base remain to do what little I've been able to do on the bike so far.
2) My tire/wheel configurations are old/worn out/in need of repair or replacement.
3) Ummmm, that's about all I have to say about it. It was ugly. And it wasn't even due to my knee. I was just heavy-ish, cold, and not having a great time with the (very slight) hills or the (raging and incessant) wind. And my rear tire was mushy the entire time, providing extra resistance.

But again, a bad day on the bike beats a good day at work. A terrible bike ride also trumps my very best run... so there's that. A person really can't take 7 months off and expect to hop right back on and stun the cycling community with their fitness and grace. It doesn't work like that. Even though I wish it did.

I also dropped my bottle. This ride was pretty much a disaster. But it's done, and I kept it rubber side down. Always a plus.

Friday - April 18

Bike
  • 57m 16s
  • 12.50 miles
  • 13.10 Mi/hr

On the path with Chris. CX bikes. Very cold. Fairly miserable. Got a kink in my neck and an earache from cold air blowing into my brain. Ow. Glad that's over.

6:57 AM: Oh boy. My knee is swollen and stiff. Huge. Not sore, though, so I suppose that's good. Just swollen, and sort of "hard". Under different circumstances (and on an entirely different appendage, on an entirely different person) swollen and stiff (( AND HUGE!! )) would be great news. On my knee... well, notsomuch. 

10:26 AM: Riding tonight. Knee and all.

3:12 PM: My enthusiasm for bike riding tonight is dwindling by the minute. Would probably do better if I went home, iced my knee and swallowed a handful of Advil before I ride tomorrow. Hmmm. It is gorgeous outside. I should ride bikes. I can't decide.

Thursday - April 17

Strength
  • 1h 00m

Romanian Deadlifts 4 x 8. 90/110/110/110 Wanted to go up 10# but there is no 120 barbell.
Leg Press 3 x 12 90/140/160
Step up 12" step w/ 40 lb barbell. 4 x 15
Some misc corework/abs with Agnes
Farmer Carry, 25 # each hand, up and down the stairs x 5 + back and forth.
Walking lunges, 25 # each hand. (Exceptionally awkward. And these do not make my knees happy)
Calf raises 25 each hand, on step.
Quad extensions. Minimal weight. 3 x 15 single leg.
This seemed to take forever. My legs will be pretty well cashed tomorrow.
---------
When I was looking for 25 # plates, apparently I inadvertently grabbed the weights off of some guy's calf raise machine after he'd set it up and walked away. So I took the plates off (by accident) marched around with them... up and down the stairs, lunges, etc etc and then went to bring them back... by then he was sitting at the machine and I realized what I'd done. I apologized profusely but this guy was kind of an ass. Some people just have no sense of humor... Clearly this was an accident. I said I was sorry over and over, but this little man got off on making me feel bad. Phooey. I still find it quite funny.

10:45 AM: Lifting today. Not sure what. Probably some legs and corework. Will resurrect an old Ronsky workout.

12:08 PM: My "Let Her Go" co-worker has been playing melancholy music all morning, culminating in the pièce de résistance: LET HER GO... as we speak. I peeked over the wall to see if he's crying. He says he's alright, but this music is throwing me into a depression myself!

Throwback Thursday in the photo flipper... me and my pal Dara, October 2000. We were in the hallway of our friend Kim's basement. It was partially finished. Like drywall only...perfect place to have a party!

Wednesday - April 16

Swim
  • 55m
  • 2296.59 yards
  • -----

So I managed to somehow get to the pool 1) ON TIME and 2) BEFORE CHRIS... only to unpack my bag and discover I had no swimsuit. I had goggles, a cap, paddles, a buoy and all kinds of other paraphernalia, but no swimsuit. I could wear the goggles, the cap, and the paddles all at once, but I still couldn't (legally, I bet!) swim.

So I bought a $65 Del-Nor Pro shop swimsuit. So now I have that. Hooray.

And now I'm late.

This was the workout:

4 x 300
1) 300, every 4th length backstroke
2) 300 pull
3) 3 x 100 easy pace, perfect form
4) 4 x 75 slightly faster, perfect form
4 x 25 --- something. (???)
4 x 200
1) 200 every 4th length sculling
2) 4 x 50... something. I don't remember what
3) 2 x 100 perfect form
4) 200 kick
4 x 25 breast stroke focusing on looooooong strokes.
4 x 100
1) 100 DPS
2) 2 x 50 perfect form
3) Something???
4) 4 x 25 easy/fast/easy/fast
100 cool down.
---------------
2700 M

I missed the first 2 300's. So I end up with 2100 tonight. When I glanced at the clock just out of curiosity to see my times, my 100s are still coming in around 1:38 or so. But it takes a lot out of me, and I can only replicate that time like twice before I flingflang all over the lane.

2 swims down... many to go. I have missed the water.

Sport
  • Trainer Ronsky
  • 1h 00m

That's gonna leave a mark.

9:22 AM: Ronsky at lunch. Swimming after work. Trying to put together a Saturday or Sunday bike ride. Paid the taxes yesterday, and drove around like a lunatic at lunchtime running errands. There are not enough hours in the day, it seems.

Despite my time frame deficiencies, and despite the many directions in which life pulls me, I have managed to lead a very drama free existence. My friends are my friends and have been my friends and will remain my friends until (and unless!) something (fatal) happens between us. My best friend and I have been "together" since grade school. My college friends and I have been close since college. Sure, we've had arguments, and from time to time, we've had to sit down and talk and decide if our friendships were important to us, given the other pressures of life and our other interests in life.

And just like in most things, relationships ebb and flow. I'm happy to never have encountered a situation where I've had to decide unilaterally whether or not someone gets to stay or go in my life, on any level. Everyone I interact with, on FB, on BT and most importantly in the real tangible world, adds value. If they didn't add value I wouldn't bother to interact in the first place.

Regardless, Chris and I have been fortunate to have very good people around us when we've needed them, both in real life and on the intertubes. And for that, we are grateful. Know for sure we've got your back, in the event you (whoever you are!) need us.

1:45 PM: And we're set to ride on Saturday! Woot!

So, what we have here is a bottle full of messages left for us at our wedding reception. Instead of having a "guest book" we asked our friends to write us a note and drop it into the bottle, to be read on our first anniversary. (Message in a bottle... to go with the whole "beach/water/island" theme)

On our first anniversary we read only 10 of the notes, because I wanted to save them, since they were so much fun to read! We read the rest of them last night with wine, dinner and our 2 year old frozen wedding cake for dessert.

Tuesday - April 15

It's our actual 2 year wedding anniversary today.

4/15/2012 -- tax day.

Lord knows we've been through the wringer in the 2 years we've been at it. The list of experiences we've had together over just the past 24 months has been long and varied, and it's spanned the entire spectrum of elation to despair.

I can't imagine doing any of this with anyone other than my partner in crime, my best friend, my husband... my dumpster.

Ended up working late. Things sort of blew up late in the day and I had to stay to shovel up some of the shit. Ugh. No workout. Still managed to get home around 7:15, in time for a nice anniversary dinner.

• Health data: Hours slept: 9

Monday - April 14

Sport
  • Trainer Ronsky
  • 1h 00m

No supersets today. Just repeated insanity on a single body part over and over again. Shoulder is OK. Knee is OK. Rolled IT band again too.

Onward.

10:51 AM: Ronsky at lunch.

I canceled the ortho appointment. I don't want to waste my cortisone injection now. Would rather get it when I *really* kneed (ha!) it. So not now.

No swimmy after work because I have to run to the accountant's office and pick up our taxes, and our PAYMENT COUPON. Yes, that's right, we owe $$ to the government again. Has to be post marked by tomorrow night. Not one moment sooner.

This is the tasting menu. I managed to get some sort of schmutz on mine before I folded it in half and jammed it into my purse, in a mostly intoxicated state... each accompanying wine is usually only about 1/3 glass, but it's enough to give one a very very serious buzz. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

• Health data: Hours slept: 10

Whizzzzz's Training Log

April 2014 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
   1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30   

Volume

Time
Distance