THURSDAY
Sunny
High 73F
Low 53F
Bike
  • 1h 05m 44s
  • 16.95 miles
  • 15.57 Mi/hr

Just a little something to keep the legs interested.

Felt terrible to start. GOD. This felt shitty. Started to feel better about a half hour in.

I told Chris "THIS IS WHY I'M NOT A MULTI DAY TOUR RIDER!" Ohmigod. Everything felt better later, but still, so much bike riding. :)

Swim
  • 1h 29m 43s
  • 4656.00 yards
  • 01m 56s /100 yards

Slow. Slow. Slow. And slower. But right on target for how I perform every time I do MOWS in this last big week without a wetsuit. Sweet JESUS this swim just takes forever. And I wander around the lake looking for buoys. My mind also wanders and I start thinking about everything other than swimming in the lake. I was specifically thinking about sleeping during this swim. Figured the sooner I got out of the water, the sooner I'd get on my bike and the sooner I could be sleeping tonight.

Yawn. A miserable performance. I was mad at myself afterwards and crabby and tired, but onward. I'm tired. So so tired.

Bike
  • 6h 20m 32s
  • 98.10 miles
  • 15.57 Mi/hr

Started from McGaw park so as to avoid a lot of the insanity of the "stick" and trying to get out of town. McGaw park is along the stick and already out of town.

Rode out, met Trudy and Julie, et al at Fireman's Park, and rode a loop with them... finished off that loop and rode loop #2 on our own. Some pretty aggressive traffic on the second loop... which we started around 3 freaking PM.

Finished this off around 6:30. No photos. Done. Done. Done and DONE.

Never got up Barlow. My strategy is going to have to be to get off my bike and get over myself. I have made 3 attempts on 3 different days with different levels of gearing, fitness and fatigue. I have never gotten past the "driveway". I'm disappointed in my ability on this one, but I have to get it out of my head. Fuck it.

Failed to pack makeup and hairgel. Wore this horribly unflattering shirt (and Garmin) to a nice dinner. I was honest-to-God too tired to care. Celebrated the end of this build with a nice glass of sparkling Rose.  Left dinner early to go upstairs and sleep. 

MOWS + Ride IMWI course
Long Walk 3:30? 
Med Walk   
Med Bike 25-35 
47/57 Triathlon (on my birthday) 
Rest
Short Swim? (Recovery swimmy?)
Short Bike? (Easy recovery bike?)

Not a recovery day. But the day is sort of shaping up in such a way that it might be a recovery day anyway. Unless I want to do a "medium run" and I'm not so sure about that.

MOWS + Ride IMWI course
Med Walk  
Med Bike 25-35
Rest

• Health data: Hours slept: 9.5
Run #1
  • 2h 03m 37s
  • 8.00 miles
  • 15m 27s /Mi

Part One.

Run #2
  • 1h 33m 32s
  • 6.01 miles
  • 15m 33s /Mi

This was sheer willpower. OH MY GAWD my feet hurt by the end of this. Made the mistake of wearing my older shoes... I should just stick with what works. This still would have been pretty gnarly even with the new shoes.

It's in the books and now I'm finished walking excessive distances for a while.

5:26 PM: Ooooooffffff. I'm dressed and ready to go for part 2. I think Part 2 is going to be 6 miles. That might be all I have in me.

MOWS + Ride IMWI course
Med Walk 
Med Bike 25-35
Rest

Rest Rest Rest Rest Rest Rest. I'm freaking exhausted. Long walk tomorrow. Oy. I will be looking for 3:30 or 14 miles? Maybe? At least 13. We'll see how it goes.

Here's the plan for tomorrow: Gonna do 2 hours in the AM, then do 2 hours in the PM. That way I can get 4 hours of walking in and not disrupt my whole life for 4 hours in a row. We'll see. Chris said he'd kick me out the door to do the second 2 hours... there's always that chance that I'll just fink out on it... but I really really don't want to. So I really really won't.

What a large photo.

MOWS + Ride IMWI course
Med Walk 
Med Bike 25-35
Rest

• Health data: Hours slept: 8.5
Bike
  • 2h 57m 04s
  • 48.34 miles
  • 16.38 Mi/hr

Sorta easy ride out in Elburn... for the bike part of our "race". At this point in time we decided we'd make the event an Aquabike. Haha.

Swim
  • 1h 15m 35s
  • 3600.00 yards
  • 02m 06s /100 yards

This was the beginning of the 47/57 triathlon. We did 47 x 75. (75 = 57 backwards) haha.
Actually this was 4 sets of 12 75's on 1:25 like this:
12 swim
12 swim with fins
12 pull with paddles and buoy
12 swim
That's actually 48 75's but we needed to get back to the right side of the pool. Haha.

So, for our birthdays and in Ironman years, Trudy and I do the Age/Age Triathlon. Named after that one race in Colorado that was like just "numbers" (I think it was actually the elevation of the location) like 5130 or something... so we decided we'd do the 4151 that year... and the idea sort of stuck.

So this year was 4757.

We did 47 x 75 instead of 47 x 100 (who really needs to swim that long?) Then we planned to ride 47 miles but we took a small detour and ended up with 48 and some change. The original plan had us doing a 57 minute walk but that didn't happen. As the race directors we canceled the run. That never happens! Haha

Some photos:

So, Trudy is a race director... she puts together races locally, and she was also the RD for the big ole Chicago Triathlon for many years... For this reason, she had access to BIBS! And HELMET NUMBERS! And BIKE NUMBERS!

Peter Sagan, number 47.

And the ceremonial bike hoist. With the Route 47 sign in the background. You can see we also did bodymarking. Haha. We do find ways to entertain ourselves.

MOWS + Ride IMWI course
Med Walk 
Med Bike 25-35
Rest

Bike
  • 1h 37m 58s
  • 26.70 miles
  • 16.42 Mi/hr

Easy easy easy ride on Monday night with Trudy and Peter. I haven't been up to CL to ride on Monday nights in a while, so it was good to catch up with Peter.

MOWS + Ride IMWI course
Med Walk 
Med Bike 25-35
Rest

Whizzzzz's Training Log

August 2017 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
   1 2 3 4 5