Low 26F
THURSDAY
Partly Cloudy
High 42F
Low 35F
Sport #1
  • Stretching
  • 15m

After the suffer fest, he stretched me out. The most extreme stretching I've ever encountered. Everything with Ronsky is extreme, so why should stretching be any exception? He twisted me up like a pretzel in order to get my quads (since the knees don't bend) and the muscles on the side of my legs. Dear God in Heaven. It hurt while it it was happening, but it felt great afterwards.

Sport #2
  • Trainer Ronsky
  • 50m

I was very very sore going into this. Like very sore. Like super sore. Like my arms/legs/upper back/abs/everything sore. So this was supposed to be "easy" but I still failed at each exercise at least once. I am a bit exhausted.

This was abs, obliques, arms, shoulders, balance, and just general misery. Ow.

6:52 AM: I have a sore throat, swollen glands and itchy ears. Otherwise known as a cold or something. Bah. Ronsky beating at 1pm. I am soooooore.
12:37 PM: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND We're up and running. The new BT. Can't really figure out what I think about it as I've had about 9 consecutive seconds of exposure to it so far. So, we'll see. I'd love to add a photo flipper photo, and I'm thinking my old sizing doesn't really work for this blog layout/configuration. I used to change my photos to be 640 x 480 or so to fit into BT... maybe I need to go a bit smaller now. We'll see. Going to check out the BLOGGER. BRB.

And here's my attempt at uploading a photo from the photo flipper:

This would be me and 3 fellow SF employees in Dallas TX. We were on CAT duty (meow!) after some really devastating storms struck the area in 1995. (For the record, CAT = CATASTROPHE, not FELINE.) Regardless, here we are standing sort of in front of the "grassy knoll" where JFK was shot. If I recall our position correctly, we were facing the book depository, and the street where the Zapruder film was shot was right behind us. 

Ahhhh, those 1995 fashions. I must ask... why are my shorts hiked up to my boobs? Why am I wearing white socks? Why? Why? It is a query without an answer. 

Sport #1
  • Boxing
  • 30m

Holy Crap. I said I wanted to try boxing. So Ronsky says, "If you're going to box, you have to train like a boxer! Today we will do a boxing workout!" So we did all of these pull ups (assisted, by him) pushups, side to side ab things and planks. But like walking planks... FCUKING HARD.

Then, he wrapped my hands and I put on these boxing gloves and he taught me punches 1,2 and 3. Very technique focused. Breathing, delivering power, and sort of swiveling on the leg. Learned all of that. By the end I was throwing punches 1-2 and 3 fairly well and he was calling them out and dancing all over the gym. I had to follow him around and deliver punches 1-2 and 3 on his count. It was hard. I said at one point "I feel like Rocky! I want to drink an egg!" Hahaha. Pretty funny stuff.

My arms/upper back are cashed. Whew!

Sport #2
  • Trainer Ronsky
  • 30m

Holy Crap. I said I wanted to try boxing. So Ronsky says, "If you're going to box, you have to train like a boxer! Today we will do a boxing workout!" So we did all of these pull ups (assisted, by him) pushups, side to side ab things and planks. But like walking planks... FCUKING HARD.

Then, he wrapped my hands and I put on these boxing gloves and he taught me punches 1,2 and 3. Very technique focused. Breathing, delivering power, and sort of swiveling on the leg. Learned all of that. By the end I was throwing punches 1-2 and 3 fairly well and he was calling them out and dancing all over the gym. I had to follow him around and deliver punches 1-2 and 3 on his count. It was hard. I said at one point "I feel like Rocky! I want to drink an egg!" Hahaha. Pretty funny stuff.

My arms/upper back are cashed. Whew!

10:57 AM: Yesterday was a good day (now I can't stop singing that song... and you must suffer as well) and I am happy to report that Kelly is going to be coaching the Monday night Master's swims too. I think maybe I start doing Monday and Wednesday nights. Tough workouts without the tough crowd. Maybe I do Monday/Wed for a while until I regain enough confidence to head back to Tuesday morning.

Kelly coaches a bit differently and way more tailored to the individuals in the lanes. For example, Chris and I had 300's in our sets, while other lanes had 200's or 150's. She likes to keep everyone together. I like that. It means I work harder, but that's OK. What I realized yesterday is that I work as hard in the pool as I'm MADE to. When I swim with people that are slightly faster than me and we have a hard workout, I'm required to swim harder, so I will.

Probably true in most situations in life, I guess. 

PHOTO FLIPPER:

Me. Chris. Right before the IMWI swimstart, 2009. We got separated in the crowded spectator area and I didn't want to start the race without seeing him first. I panicked. We found each other about 3-4 minutes before the start and I broke down and cried. We hugged, gave each other a good luck kiss, and it was off we went. I jumped in, swam to the front of the buoy line, and got myself hammered about the head and back for 1:17 straight. Whoops. Last minute swim seeding mistake. I didn't do that again in 2011, that's for sure. I thought I was going to die. 

Bike
  • 1h 28m 36s
  • 22.20 miles
  • -----

Still not totally sure about traffic on the roads around here early in the AM. Until I can get out with some locals, we decided to ride the path. The bike path is fairly extensive, and in the morning, there was very little bike traffic... it's just very wind-y and parts of it are crushed limestone.

The vast majority is paved, though, and there is a really nice stretch just south of Elgin that is a couple of miles long and good for "out and back" type intervals, if one is so inclined.

Good to get out in the morning.

Swim tonight.

Swim
  • 1h 00m
  • 3171.48 yards
  • 01m 54s /100 yards

This is exactly what I needed. A real ass whoopin' in the pool without being left totally behind. It was hard enough to be hard, but not so hard that I got lapped. Perfect swim.

300 warm up
300 pull with paddles
300 drill
4 x 75 25 kick/50 build
100 easy
4 x 200
1) Straight thru
2) :15 @ 100
3) :10 @ 50
4) :05 @ 25
100 easy
4 x 100
IM with fins. Bwaaahahahaha
4 x 50
ez/fast, fast/ez, build, sprint
100 cool down
----------
2900 M

9:28 AM: I simply love riding my bike. I don't think it matters if it's a slow and curvy slog on the bike path or it's a fast, flat, whooooopieeee type ride like the Udder Century... I just love it. Puts me in a good mood for the day. I actually caught myself singing "ZIPPITY DOO DAH" in the shower this morning. No joke. 

HERE WE HAVE THE PHOTO FLIPPER:

It's sort of like a Wedding Wednesday revival, but I assure you it's random!

Me and Chris, making out on Trunk Bay after we got married, 4/15/2012. Kiss

Run
  • 37m 31s
  • 2.77 miles
  • -----

Swimming didn't work out. Ended up coming home, and after pouting for a bit decided I'd best get my ass outside to exercise, as I'd eaten nearly all of my calories for the day already. Unless I wanted to skip dinner completely, I needed to earn a little something back.

This should allow me to eat a lean pork chop and some squash and still break even for the day.

9:09 AM: Ronsky canceled for lunchtime. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. This is sort of irritating, because I opted out of swimming partially due to my impending lunchtime beat down. Now I have no prospect of either workout. I'd have to travel back in time to make it to the pool at 5:30, and I'd have to force Ronsky to somehow un-cancel at 12. I'm doing my best to convince Chris to ride with me after work, but I think we're riding in the AM... so maybe I just swim at X Sport tonight after work. Or maybe run? Ugh. I don't know. 

I am in a funk. Sort of. I'm finding myself really missing my CL training pals and my old Crystal Lake summer time routine. I like it here in St. Charles, but I don't feel confident shooting out the door to ride my bike at 5:15 AM. I have no one to meet me half way, and I don't really know the roads yet. In regard to swimming... I've been terrified to return to the pool after a Tuesday morning demoralizing swim that turned me off to the whole deal a couple of months ago. The people aren't super friendly (although they are great swimmers) and there's very little camaraderie. It's just a regular old ass whoopin'. Get in, swim anaerobically for an hour, and get out if you have the strength remaining to hoist yourself from the pool. That's been my experience. 

The more I think about it, the more intimidated I get ---> The more intimidated I get ---> The less likely I am to go ---> The less I go, the more intimidating it is, because I'm less able to keep up ---> See how that works?

I've gotten myself mired into an intimidation spiral, 100% of my own doing. I must say, there's also an element of guilt involved. I want to go swim, but I don't, so I feel guilty and lazy. However, I'm intimidated and scared, so as much as I want to go, I don't go, and that makes me feel guiltier and lazier. A guilt spiral! I have intertwining intimidation and guilt spirals, winding around like strands of DNA. 

Who knew this was so complex? 

What I need to do is bite the bullet and work up the courage to make myself go to the pool on Tuesday mornings to take my beating. The more I do it, the less intimidating it will be. I hope. Maybe I can move over a lane. Next Tuesday I'll go. I can't stand to be afraid of the pool anymore. It's making me sad.

It's not that complicated. 

PHOTO FLIPPER:

Chris, me, and our pal Patty... at the little convenience store in Lake Geneva... during one of our 2 loopers of the lake in preparation for IMWI 2011. We're looking a little dazed. Haha. Of note, of course, are our matching Horribly Hilly Hundred jerseys. Biking like a Viking. Yes indeedily doo!

Strength
  • 1h 00m

Legs.

• Smith Machine Squats
  • Sumo squats
  • Bosu ball toss/squat
  • Skater lunges
  • Side to side sumo squats
  • Sissy squats 1-10
  • Leg press 120/160/180/200
  • . Glute kickback

Sport
    • Stair Running
    • 04m

2 x to 6

Lifting today after work! Probably legs, maybe some other stuff, as I can't do all of the leg stuff that Chrissy and Kristin like to do. Although, I will say that lifting without running is much easier on the old joints. It is the lifting/running/biking combo that makes my knees scream for mercy. 

PHOTO FLIPPER!

Yet another BT outing. A group of BT girlz flew to Denver for the Denver Marathon in 2009. This was just a couple of months after Julia and Richard were hit by a car on a training ride.... sustaining some serious injuries, each of them. 

Here we are, piled into the back seat of an SUV. We've got me, Stacie (luv2ride), Kelly (MissKelly) in the front row, and Robyn (TriOK) and Trixie in the back. We were wearing our DICKDIME fundraising T-shirts. Mine was day glow yellow. Kiss

Bike
    • 3h 04m 18s
    • 45.60 miles
    • -----

A really slow, stop and go and stop and go ride up the path north toward our old stompin' grounds. Lots of path traffic + congestion in downtown Elgin + detours galore = sub 15 mph average.

Still nice to get out for some TITS.

Got home in time to shower and get ready to take my Mom out for Mother's Day.

Happy Mother's Day from the Fabyan Windmill, Batavia IL

Nada! Except for the fact that I cleaned the house like a professional maid and I ran a bunch of errands including locating and going to a cobbler! They're still out there!

• Health data: Hours slept: 9

Whizzzzz's Training Log

May 2013 
    SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
        1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31 

Time
    Distance
    Time