FRIDAY
Partly Cloudy
High 37F
Low 30F
SATURDAY
Patchy rain nearby
High 47F
Low 29F

7:17 AM: Improving even more, I think. I always wake up with a sore throat, but it seems to go away as I'm up for the day. 

Swimming tonight. We'll see how that goes. Must jump into the shower and load up on drugs. Ta-ta!
2:04 PM: Rain rain rain rain rain. Chris' flight home from NY was canceled. Frown

PHOTO FLIPPER:

Oh lookie here!

The Shamrock Shuffle, March, 2008. In Chicago. A BT gathering. In addition to the fine folks you see pictured here Trixie, Robyn (TriOK) and Tony Goggs were also in attendance.

L - R me, jowisc, jschmitchicago, StartingToTri, and MissKelly. Chris was at home riding the trainer, in preparation for IM CdA that year. He joined us for breakfast after the race.

• Health data: Sick: 2 Hours slept: 9

6:44 AM: I'm improving. I'd say I'm like 80% better right now. Eyes are itchy and I'm still congested, but whatever was leaking down into my throat, causing it to feel like I swallowed nails, has apparently stopped leaking. Or perhaps it's just stopped scraping. Whatever. I'll take it.

Canceled on Ronsky. A Ronsky workout at less than 100% will just be bad for me. We can reconvene on Thursday. I haven't been eating much since I've been sick... nothing sounds good, and I haven't been hungry. So it's not like I've been eating like shit for 4 days and gaining a bunch of weight. Back on the bandwagon today. Logging food on Lose It! 

In other news, I watched "THIS IS 40" last night, after everyone talked about how LAUGH OUT LOUD HILARIOUS it was. I didn't find it funny. Like at all. Paul Rudd was cute, but their relationship/marriage was... bizarre. The way they handled conflict was... wrong. He lied about their finances, and she was such an idiot she didn't know what questions to ask. The highlight of the entire movie (and their relationship, according to this theatrical masterpiece) was a weekend getaway (right after he learns they are financially broken) where the two of them eat a marijuana cookie. I understand how that could be fun, but... I don't know. Maybe it's because I don't have kids, but THAT is not 40. That movie made 40 look and sound and seem PATHETIC. That movie is why people curl up into the fetal position before their 40th birthdays. Myself included. Look what's in store for you! A dead end job! Bratty kids! Financial ruin! Your tits in a squeezy machine! ANN TAYLOR LOFT! A doctor's finger up your butt! Generalized exhaustion! Sounds fantastic, doesn't it? (For the record, I like Ann Taylor Loft from time to time!)

Having been on the other side of 40 for nearly 3 years now, I am here to say that that movie is nothing like 40. Sure, there's mammograms, prostate exams, and the occasional colonoscopy, but it's by no means pathetic. We are only as old as we believe we are. Watch your money, watch your health, love your partner, and you can avoid turning out like that stupid movie, with fancy cars and a fancy house, but unfulfilled in every other way.  I'm sort of mad that I spent $5.99 on it, on demand. 

^^^ Thank you Pinterest. 

Oh, and you know what else sort of pizzed me off about the movie? The way he rode his bike toward the end... Paul Rudd's character has a melt down at his 40th birthday party, so he hops on his road bike and rides like a lunatic into and out of traffic in a fit of generalized douchebaggery. He ultimately gets doored after swinging a wide turn. This is why people hate cyclists. The whole movie just perpetuated stereo type after stereo type and it just... irritated me. 

Out of devastation can come miracles! This made me cry like a colicky baby. Right here at work. 

• Health data: Sick: 2 Hours slept: 7
12:18 PM: Went to bed last night around 9:30 and slept until 11 AM. Got up, took some Mucinex and Advil, and now I'm sitting on the couch contemplating a nap. Might go to an Urgent Care to see if I have a sinus infection. The only other time I've felt this shitty was when I have had a sinus infection. It also feels like a truck is parked on my face. Called in sick to work. Frown

1:30 PM: Not sure I could be a stay at home wife. Although I probably wouldn't be sick the whole time... but... this is boring. Sitting here, hanging out with cats, watching BRAVO. Oh, I'm also surfing PINTEREST for motivational quotes and whatnot. I think I may occupy myself with a nap. 

5:55 PM: It seems I'm at home when terrible tragedies hit... on Mondays... the Boston Marathon bombing and now this awful tornado in Oklahoma. Terrible. Terrible. Terrible. 

In happier news, I received a letter today telling me there is "no sign of cancer on my mammogram". I'll take it. 

• Health data: Sick: 4 Hours slept: 14

11:15 AM: Not feeling that much better. I made it to the Cocktails in the Park fundraiser last night, after taking 4 Mucinex pills + 4 Advil + a Zyrtec. I had some vodka and I felt almost human. Today I'm coughing and sneezing and congested again... clogged and itchy ears + sore throat. This does not please me at all. 

Considered a little bike ride... just to get things moving, but being outside in the pollen and the allergens will probably just make things worse. I can't breathe. 

2:27 PM: I've closed up the house and turned on the air and I feel marginally better. I've got a productive cough and I sound like shit. I hate being sick. I am a whiny baby. I want to ride my bike. 

Here some pics from Cocktails in the Park last night....

Me and my friend Kathy... I realize I don't *look* sick... but a little eyeliner and some drugs do work wonders. Trust me on this. 

Here we are at the S'MORES table. 

And Chris and me, in front of one of the many windmills. Batavia is the Windmill capital of... the world maybe. Windmills galore. 

• Health data: Sick: 4 Hours slept: 13

10:35 AM: I'm sick. I feel achy, feverish, sore throat, and plenty of phlegm. I'm pissed. Missed the bike ride this morning. Slept 12 hours. 

DO. NOT. WANT.

11:47 AM: I'm going back to bed. 

• Health data: Sick: 4 Hours slept: 15
Sport #1
  • Stretching
  • 15m

After the suffer fest, he stretched me out. The most extreme stretching I've ever encountered. Everything with Ronsky is extreme, so why should stretching be any exception? He twisted me up like a pretzel in order to get my quads (since the knees don't bend) and the muscles on the side of my legs. Dear God in Heaven. It hurt while it it was happening, but it felt great afterwards.

Sport #2
  • Trainer Ronsky
  • 50m

I was very very sore going into this. Like very sore. Like super sore. Like my arms/legs/upper back/abs/everything sore. So this was supposed to be "easy" but I still failed at each exercise at least once. I am a bit exhausted.

This was abs, obliques, arms, shoulders, balance, and just general misery. Ow.

6:52 AM: I have a sore throat, swollen glands and itchy ears. Otherwise known as a cold or something. Bah. Ronsky beating at 1pm. I am soooooore.
12:37 PM: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND We're up and running. The new BT. Can't really figure out what I think about it as I've had about 9 consecutive seconds of exposure to it so far. So, we'll see. I'd love to add a photo flipper photo, and I'm thinking my old sizing doesn't really work for this blog layout/configuration. I used to change my photos to be 640 x 480 or so to fit into BT... maybe I need to go a bit smaller now. We'll see. Going to check out the BLOGGER. BRB.

And here's my attempt at uploading a photo from the photo flipper:

This would be me and 3 fellow SF employees in Dallas TX. We were on CAT duty (meow!) after some really devastating storms struck the area in 1995. (For the record, CAT = CATASTROPHE, not FELINE.) Regardless, here we are standing sort of in front of the "grassy knoll" where JFK was shot. If I recall our position correctly, we were facing the book depository, and the street where the Zapruder film was shot was right behind us. 

Ahhhh, those 1995 fashions. I must ask... why are my shorts hiked up to my boobs? Why am I wearing white socks? Why? Why? It is a query without an answer. 

Sport #1
  • Boxing
  • 30m

Holy Crap. I said I wanted to try boxing. So Ronsky says, "If you're going to box, you have to train like a boxer! Today we will do a boxing workout!" So we did all of these pull ups (assisted, by him) pushups, side to side ab things and planks. But like walking planks... FCUKING HARD.

Then, he wrapped my hands and I put on these boxing gloves and he taught me punches 1,2 and 3. Very technique focused. Breathing, delivering power, and sort of swiveling on the leg. Learned all of that. By the end I was throwing punches 1-2 and 3 fairly well and he was calling them out and dancing all over the gym. I had to follow him around and deliver punches 1-2 and 3 on his count. It was hard. I said at one point "I feel like Rocky! I want to drink an egg!" Hahaha. Pretty funny stuff.

My arms/upper back are cashed. Whew!

Sport #2
  • Trainer Ronsky
  • 30m

Holy Crap. I said I wanted to try boxing. So Ronsky says, "If you're going to box, you have to train like a boxer! Today we will do a boxing workout!" So we did all of these pull ups (assisted, by him) pushups, side to side ab things and planks. But like walking planks... FCUKING HARD.

Then, he wrapped my hands and I put on these boxing gloves and he taught me punches 1,2 and 3. Very technique focused. Breathing, delivering power, and sort of swiveling on the leg. Learned all of that. By the end I was throwing punches 1-2 and 3 fairly well and he was calling them out and dancing all over the gym. I had to follow him around and deliver punches 1-2 and 3 on his count. It was hard. I said at one point "I feel like Rocky! I want to drink an egg!" Hahaha. Pretty funny stuff.

My arms/upper back are cashed. Whew!

10:57 AM: Yesterday was a good day (now I can't stop singing that song... and you must suffer as well) and I am happy to report that Kelly is going to be coaching the Monday night Master's swims too. I think maybe I start doing Monday and Wednesday nights. Tough workouts without the tough crowd. Maybe I do Monday/Wed for a while until I regain enough confidence to head back to Tuesday morning.

Kelly coaches a bit differently and way more tailored to the individuals in the lanes. For example, Chris and I had 300's in our sets, while other lanes had 200's or 150's. She likes to keep everyone together. I like that. It means I work harder, but that's OK. What I realized yesterday is that I work as hard in the pool as I'm MADE to. When I swim with people that are slightly faster than me and we have a hard workout, I'm required to swim harder, so I will.

Probably true in most situations in life, I guess. 

PHOTO FLIPPER:

Me. Chris. Right before the IMWI swimstart, 2009. We got separated in the crowded spectator area and I didn't want to start the race without seeing him first. I panicked. We found each other about 3-4 minutes before the start and I broke down and cried. We hugged, gave each other a good luck kiss, and it was off we went. I jumped in, swam to the front of the buoy line, and got myself hammered about the head and back for 1:17 straight. Whoops. Last minute swim seeding mistake. I didn't do that again in 2011, that's for sure. I thought I was going to die. 

Whizzzzz's Training Log

May 2013 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
    1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31 

Time
Distance
Time
  • November's totals