MONDAY
Patchy rain nearby
High 84F
Low 64F

Friday - May 31

Sport
  • Trainer Ronsky
  • 1h 00m

Well he really worked me over today. I was sweating like a... I can't even describe how hot and sweaty I was. Wished I could take a shower afterwards, but didn't have time. Just dried my pits and other parts with a towel. Now I hope I don't smell. Meh. Whatever. Like I always say... "if you're close enough to smell my pits, you better be my husband or my cat... otherwise you're too close!" Hahaha.

Burpees (15)
Side crunches (20 each side, on stability ball)
Squat shoulder press (20)
Knee to elbow in plank position (FUUUUUUUUCK) (I don't know how many of these)
Then
Alternating bicep curl lunges (20, 15 lbs each)
Plank straight arm reach up on dumb bells (5 lbs each... holy crap)
Straight back situps 12/15/20

And that took the whole hour. Hard. Hard. Hard. Ow.

Oh boy! It's already time to do a recap of the month of May in regard to my goals. Suffice it to say it's all going OK, except for the baby making. Time to go back to the doctor and find out what the next step might be. My diet is 90% better than it was. High in protein, lean meats, vegetables, some fruits and and lower in carbs. Consumption of wine is down. Consumption of Dunkin Donuts (food, coffee + "other") is also down, mostly eradicated. My weight is about 170-172 and falling. Slowly. Falling. My clothes from last summer fit, and I can wear them in public. I feel good, and I think that's what matters the most. Kiss

PHOTO FLIPPER!

One of my favorites! From a trip we took to Tucson to visit TJ... I present to you Trixie (in front) me, and Stacie (luv2ride) hiking in our tech shirt/running skirt/visor uniforms. This was as hard of a hike as I'd ever been on at the time. I thought the terrain was tricky. Remember, I'm a flatlander, so when I hike (read: walk) in or around Chicago, it's on a paved path, in a straight line, and there's a 1 or 2 foot elevation gain. Haha.

Hey! I did the drag & drop into the blog and it worked! How fun is that!?

Thursday - May 30

Bike
  • 1h 32m 23s
  • 23.37 miles
  • -----

On the bike path. EEEEEKed this out just before the storms blew in. I like the bike path in that there is no car traffic, but you can't really open it up and go either. Very twisty and turny. Safe, though, and more interesting than the bike path up by the Palace, so... whatevs. Nice to get out for a bike ride after work!

5:01 PM: It rained and stormed like a Mo' Fo' here today. Hoping it clears up enough for me to ride tonight. Would like to get a little spinny in tonight! Kiss

PHOTO FLIPPER!

Rachael and me, August 1986, celebrating my (our really) 16th birthdays. She is exactly 2 weeks older than me. My Dad poured us some Lambrusco and we ate a Sara Lee frozen pound cake. Those were the days.

My top is reminiscent of the old Friday's Uniforms.

All I needed was an apron and some suspenders!

You need to see my eyelashes. They are amazing. Thank you Latisse.

Wednesday - May 29

Swim
  • 1h 00m
  • 2679.35 yards
  • 02m 14s /100 yards

200 swim
2 x 175
50 easy back
3 x 150
4 x 125 (Swim + IM combo)
5 x 100 (fins, paddle, etc)
4 x 75
100 cool down
----------------

Lungs were fairly non cooperative during this swim.

Afterwards, we were invited to go with the local tri club to watch the Blackhawks game. Got to meet some cool new people, including a handsome young man with whom Chris can have a PowerTap bromance. Someone to discuss all of that FTP and NP "numbers" bullshit. When he tries to discuss it with me, I act incredulous and insist I violate the laws of physics. ;)

Regardless, we watched the Mighty Hawks win, had a decent dinner and a couple of beers. The only horrifying part of the evening was my hair and makeup. I emerged straight from the pool with no magic hair gel and a with only a bizarre combination of makeup products found at the bottom of my purse. I was a drowned frizzy rat with SEVERE goggle marks. I did my best to rectify the situation, but it was still... crazy looking. I had to make up for my appearance with personality and charm. It was a chasm to be leapt. Trust me on this.

I didn't want to scare the new tri club people with a SWAMP THING appearance, but alas, that's pretty much how it worked out.

So... yesterday when I got home from work, I went to the mailbox and found a card from my dear friend Whitney. (You may know her as WHITNEY WITH THE BIG HAIR... as featured in the photo flipper). It's not my birthday, so I wasn't sure why she'd be sending me a card. I opened it up and read this:

Hi Sista Laura!

Just wanted to say thank you for inspiring me to RUN. If it hadn't been for our idea in the pool that day in 2009 this passion would never have been discovered. I still don't enjoy "training" but I do love racing and I've had such a joyous journey along the way. For this I owe you! And I've also paid it forward, inspiring my pal Angela to run (she did her 1st marathon in Jan!) as well as Lisa, who has been my "virtual" running buddy all along. None of us would have laced up if not for you. You're not just an IRONMAN, you are an inspiration. Thank you. 

LIOB, <-- this is our sorority sign off

Whit. 

This really made my day. Whitney is one of my best friends, so she is (at least partially) obligated to like me... Wink but I think sending a handwritten note goes above and beyond.

You never know how or when you're inspiring someone out there. 

Even if you're a crappy runner. Even if you're a BOP Ironman. Even if you struggle in Baraboo each year. Even if you cry at Horribly Hilly. Even if you're too afraid to return to your lane at Master's swim. 

You just never know. 

Swimmy tonight.

AND HERE WE HAVE THE PHOTO FLIPPER:

That's Jess (TriTakeMeAway) me and our buddy Jeff (Q). We were all staying together in a house in Idaho for Ironman Coeur d'Alene, 2008. This, if I'm not mistaken, was our interpretation of BLUE STEEL. I don't know. Maybe I am mistaken. Hahaha.

Tuesday - May 28

Sport
  • Trainer Ronsky
  • 1h 00m

Another workout with the RAMBUNCTIOUS RONSKY. I do love him. He's hilarious and mean all rolled into one weird package. This was very core intensive. My core is going to be so damn strong I won't know what to do with myself.

This was:
- Side cable single arm crunches. (x 20 each side)
- Side V-sits (x 20 each side)
- Side to side ball slams.
- Twisty things on a twisty Reebok thing. (x40 total)
(all of that 3x thru)

THEN

- Single leg single arm rowing (HARD. HARD. HARD.) (x 15)
- Stability Ball bounce ups (like pushups, only weirder) (x 20)
- Stability Ball Sit ups with weight (x 20)
(all of that 3x thru)

THEN

- Assisted dips (110 lbs) Useless
- Stability Ball elbow circles.

By the end of this I just wanted to curl up and die. But I had to put my work clothes on and head back to the office. :O

Ahhhhhhhh, how true this is. And something I try to remind myself of... when I am last dragging my ass up the hills in Baraboo... and last pulling into camp after a miserable ride in the rain. And... pretty much something I remind myself of after this Baraboo trip... EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR. 

It's hard. It's always hard. I'm not sure why (or if?) I expect different... but each year I am stung a bit by how hard it is and how poorly I do. I suppose I should remember that I am the only NON CLUB member that rides the rides each day and I am the only WIFE (or accompanying spouse, I should say... as there is one other female, and her husband does not ride...) that goes on the rides. But... meh. It's still hard to swallow. I sometimes feel like I should go back to Baraboo in September, for a redemption ride, once I've had a chance to scrape together a bit of bike fitness.

But in May... I'm that whack ass bird screeching in the forest. 

Ronsky at lunchtime. 
And will you lookie here! BT in the PHOTO FLIPPER:

Check out everyone's favorite douchebag, Tony Goggs, his (now) wife Monica, and me, surfing the tube in London. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

We were wearing European-woman-scarves. We looked very chic. Trust me on this.

Monday - May 27

Today we packed up the cabin, loaded up the car, and drove ourselves home to lovely St. Charles Illinois. Indeed. 

It's Memorial Day. Remember those who have died for us to enjoy the freedoms we all too often take for granted.

Photos from our hike on Saturday:

^^^ That's me on a great big rock. Woo Hoo. 

The view from the same place. 

Me and the Dumpster.

LEAVES OF THREE, LEAVE IT BEEEEE! AAAAAAACK! 

• Health data: Hours slept: 9

Sunday - May 26

Bike
  • 3h 33m 22s
  • 47.10 miles
  • -----

Again. Holy fucking hilly tragedy of a bike ride. Chris got a flat tire about 10 miles in. We changed his tube and lost the group. Met up with them later while climbing Bluff Road. My shorts were diggjng into my crotch something fierce. Wanted to rip them off several times during this ride. Overall, probably better than staying in bed, but a tough tough ride. Ow. Legs. Ow. Crotch. Ow. Hands/arms. Ow. In general.

Now, that's a fire! 

Saturday - May 25

Bike
  • 2h 48m 25s
  • 35.90 miles
  • -----

Tough ride in Baraboo today. I'm still a little sickish feeling and I haven't done much in the way of bike training... so this was ugly. I survived, though, which is better than what I thought was going to happen... in other words... death. :O Came home and took a 3 hour nap. Felt like I'd been shot with a tranquilizer dart.

Sport
  • Hiking
  • 1h 10m

Hiking up the Devils Head trail. Photos to follow. Like on Monday.

Whizzzzz's Training Log

May 2013 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
    1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31 

Volume

Time
Distance

Actual vs Planned