Bike
  • 1h 21m
  • 25.00 miles
  • 18.52 Mi/hr

Rollers.
Watched a movie: The Devil Road in on Horseback... About the Darfur Genocide. Watch it... write your congressman.

Run
  • 51m 50s
  • 6.60 miles
  • 07m 51s /Mi

Easy run wash park

Rest day. I may jog and/or spin out on the rollers, but nothing intense planned for today... time to get healthy. 95 miles in a week is 15 miles more than any other 7 day period for me (in the last 5 years). I also had two quality runs (6:25 pace with dills and then a 6:48 pace with headwinds for 14 miles yesterday) plus a 20 miler over the last 3 days. I would like to find a 5K race next week or I may do an Alan Culpepper favorite... 2 x 20 minutes at race pace. 10 days out, I want to do 8 Yassos hopefully all at 2:40-2:49... I may do one more long run... If I do, I'd like to run it with at least 7 miles at race pace. I'm feeling pretty confident. I had an abbreviated training cycle for this marathon (about 6 weeks not counting upcoming taper) but I have run well... My base was good to begin with and I began this cycle on Feb 23 with a 20 miler (6:47 pace) and then two weeks later PR'd in the half marathon distance (6:06 pace). This cycle has been much more difficult than normal for me, however. I had two injuries - albeit they were short-lived - and a nasty chest cold virus that I am almost over. I pushed the envelope for sure... running through my injuries and then upping the ante during my illness with my biggest running week ever. I wouldn't recommend doing this as it has been hell! But I rolled the dice. I didn't have the time to back off training and I risked getting more injured or more sick. I think I dodged a bullet this time! Cycle highlights: 6 x 20 mile runs (longest 22.5) PR in the Half Marathon 1:19:57 2 x 17.2 mile trail runs with 5000 feet of ascent 1 Yasso session 4 800s at less than 2:45 4 weeks of running at over 60 miles - 2 of those over 70 7 day period with 95 miles logged a handful of 12 - 16 mile days with a Lair of the Bear 12 mile trail run Ran the first half of the Marathon course at near race pace Cycle to dos: One more 20 miler - tentative might not do it. Run a <17:30 5K - two weeks out from mary Run 8 yasso 800s (2:40s) - 10 days out from mary Cherry Creek Sneak 5 miler in under <30:00 - 7 days out from mary Last week rest, hydrate, build glycogen stores, rest... stay positive MAY 4th: Run mary in 2:49:59 or better (6:29 pace)!

• Health data: Sick: 1
Run
  • 1h 35m
  • 14.01 miles
  • 06m 47s /Mi

Went up to Fort Collins to run the first part of the Colorado Marathon course. Sara (snowgirl) was cool enough to drive me to the starting point 15 miles up the Cache La Poudre. I should have started earlier in the day cuz when I got to the start the wind was howling and shooting straight up the canyon - giving me a nice headwind to contend with. This sort of screwed my plans cuz I wanted to run easy at race pace but I couldn't sustain race pace and keep my HR below LT... so I backed off. Plus, I've been pretty sick and todays miles put me at like 95 over the last 7 days and I did develop some knee soreness at about mile 8. So with all that, I just ran the course hard and tried to keep all of my miles below 7 m/p mile, which I did. Although I didn't get the confidence boost I wanted today, I did get a new respect for the course and even though there is a net loss it does begin at over 6000 feet and I need to be cognizant of this and not take the course for granted. Still, I'm pretty sure, once healthy, rested and hopefully without headwinds on race day, I should be able to comfortably knock off about 20 secs per mile over the first part of the course and still have enough gas in the tank to run hard for the second half of the course. The key now is to get some good tempo/track work in and get myself rested and healthy.

JUST IN:
I was at www.runcolo.com (my friend Simon's race forum) and found this piece of information. This made me feel much better about todays effort since the headwinds that I was running into were sustained and ranged between 5 and 20 mph.

runcolo:
As a runner it’s important to know how the elements affect your performance. Even when a wind is not present, when racing at a 6:00 mile pace, you generate a headwind of 10 miles per hour. When that headwind picks up to 15mph, the effort to run a 6:00 minute mile is equivalent to running a 5:00 minute mile with no wind. “According to Dr. Jack Daniels’, a three-hour marathon runner loses 11 seconds per mile when running into a 5-mile-per-hour headwind and 25 seconds per mile when facing a 10 mile-per-hour headwind. That’s an extra 5 to 11 minutes over the marathon distance; but a four-hour marathoner running the entire race into the wind loses approximately 15 to 32 minutes with the same winds.”

So last night I found out that me and Alan Culpeper have something in common. During his talk to all of the F4 coaches he admitted that he has a weakness for Pringles. I actually gave them up as a New Years Eve resolution once... I lasted for most of the year but eventually gave in! Pringle Me! Photobucket

• Health data: Sick: 2
Run
  • 2h 39m 09s
  • 20.00 miles
  • 07m 58s /Mi

Still coughing and hacking down the trail, but yes, I am definitely getting better.

It was cold, wet and snowy out there today. For a while I could barely see the snow was so big and wet... after about the 8th mile the snow stopped but I was completely wet so the wind turned me into a Popsicle. Oh well.

My 6th 20 miler (aka my six pack) for this marathon training cycle. Not fast but I have run 81 miles so far this month on 6 days of running. Tomorrows run will put me over 90 miles in a 7 day span. I think that will be a record for me!

My HR was where it should be for this effort. Last 20 miler I was in the 140 range for a similar effort.

This is going to be a powerhouse film! Photobucket On a symbolic note: The Olympic torch was put out two times in this past weekend in France... The "sacred" Olympic torch. FYI: Democracy does not equal capitalism... See tyrannical China for details.

Run
  • 57m
  • 8.70 miles
  • 06m 33s /Mi

Ran a few miles easy then paced mark in his half mary for the last 5 miles or so. felt ok, but my quads are sore and I think I either pulled a muscle or broke my rib from coughing so much!

Sport
  • Snowshoeing
  • 1h 00m

Just an easy little hike up at St. Mary's... 5 bones to park?!

• Health data: Sick: 3
Bike
  • 4h 19m
  • 70.30 miles
  • 16.29 Mi/hr

Joined Katie for a ride and she showed me her secret training route (she said something about how this ride makes her tough as nails and unbeatable).

5,086 feet of ascent
Crazy Winds... headwinds for the first 30 miles and the last 15 miles.

AVG CAD 70

Great ride!

Run
  • 50m
  • 6.00 miles
  • 08m 20s /Mi

Ran with my F4 guys... nice and easy.

Run
  • 2h 55m
  • 17.20 miles
  • 10m 10s /Mi

Trail run with 4,216 feet of ascent.

Decided to hit the trails to train my quads for the Downhill start of the Colorado Marathon. This is the second time in two weeks that I have run this course. The last time I ran it much faster, today I just wanted the terrain to dictate my effort.

Started at the Green MTN parking lot off of Alameda... ran straight up Green Mtn to the radio towers and then took the service road out to the c-470 lot and then up the Zorro trail... headed south on Dakota ridge and then entered the lower Red Rocks road... ran up to the amphitheater and ran the stairs then ran back down the road to the Red Rocks trail headed north to Morrison Slide trail and climbed that and then reconnected to Red Rocks trail... ran to Matthews Winters lot and then up the old road to Dakota ridge and then down Zorro back over to Green Mtn trail and stayed low on the rollers to the finish.

Felt ok... never pushed hard, still coughing, but considerably better... 69 miles on 4 days so far this week. I can't wait to finally run healthy again!

Run
  • 1h 11m 55s
  • 9.53 miles
  • 07m 33s /Mi

Ran from the Irish Snug, to and around Wash Park and then to Cheesman, hooked up with fil and ran with the snuggers... Drank with Katie, Bridgette, Michelle, Mike Omen... and then drank till too late with Michael Omen.

Sorry about not answering inspires for the past 4 days or so... I just haven't had the energy. I'll get back to it soon! I'm starting to feel better. I'm at zero today! Boo. I guess that is what happens when you blow your friends off!

DickDime's Training Log

April 2008 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
   1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30   

Time
Distance
  • November's totals