• 30m
  • 6.00 miles
  • -----

Urban assault riding

Bike #2
  • 2h 14m
  • 40.50 miles
  • 18.13 Mi/hr

Rode the fixed gear to the Chatfield Dam. I'm really happy with this effort. Sort of Windy and warm, but I felt really powerful on the bike... On the way home some roadie tried to draft me for about 5 miles and then he faded.

Run
  • 50m 30s
  • 6.50 miles
  • 07m 46s /Mi

BRICK

Jumped in the pool to cool off then put on the trainers and ran a solid brick!

Hope to get a swim in tonight after I get some work done!

Photobucket Breaking News: Team Altitude Adjusted - 3rd Place finishers at Last years Hood to Coast Realay (sub masters 30-40 AG)- have added the final piece to their sub 20 hour quest: Adam GearWhore DeVoe will be the newest member of our team. Adam will be running the first leg which Starts at Mt. Hood Ski area and it is a ridiculously steep descent. His running sticks should be toast after that but hopefully all of his Ironman training will prepare him to withstand the beating and run well on his easier 2nd and 3rd legs. For those who don't know much about it. The NIKE Hood to Coast Relay is the largest running relay in the world and generally sells out in less than 24 hours (lottery system). It is made up of 1000 teams of 12 members each. The course begins at the Mt. Hood Ski area and travels 197 miles to Seacoast, Oregon where there is a massive beach party with thousands of naked girls and all the water taps flow with the golden waves of PBR! Altitude Adjusted finished in 4th place in 2006 and in 3rd place in 2007. We have added two BTers to the team this year; Mark Dillard joined us about a month ago. We now have 3 BTers on our team (4 if you count the lurker: JM who is arguably our fastest runner and is on BT but doesn't post). Our time last year was 20 hours and 20 minutes. We averaged about 6:12 per mile. This year we are attempting to be one of the handful of teams that break the 20 hour mark and hopefully move up in the standings as well! To imagine what this race is like, imagine running the Bolder Boulder at PR pace 3 times in a 20 hour period. It is sooo much fun!

Thursday - May 29

Bike
  • 1h 05m
  • 15.00 miles
  • 13.85 Mi/hr

Urban assault

Run
  • 40m 39s
  • 5.41 miles
  • 07m 31s /Mi

Snug run

Swim
  • 23m
  • 1100.00 meters
  • 02m 05s /100 meters

1000 meter TT 20:59 (pathetic)
plus a final 100m 1:55

I must swim at some point today... I will swim at some point today...

Wednesday - May 28

Bike
  • 1h 40m
  • 23.00 miles
  • 13.80 Mi/hr

This was hard.

I did something incredible and I did something incredibly stupid.

Incredible: I rode my fixed gear bike from the parking lot near the East Vail Exit to the parking lot of the Vail Pass rest stop! 2400 feet of climbing. Low speed of 4.6 miles per hour.

Incredibly stupid: I rode my fixed gear bike down Vail Pass without brakes at over 30 miles per hour. If you have done the Triple Bypass, you know where the bike trail goes beneath I-70... those turns are narly and without brakes to slow you down, scary as hell!

Run
  • 45m
  • 5.60 miles
  • 08m 02s /Mi

Brick immediately after bike.

Dropped the TT bike off at the bike shop last night... New more aggressive bars and set up (thanks to Chris Purrington via Chris McCormick), new rear dérailleur and chain, new cables, full tune-up etc. Hopefully all this translates into a sound a$$ whoopin' of Mark the DillPickle at the Big Sky Duathlon on June 7th! I was MIA for the Barking Dog Duathlon and Mark was faster than a speeding piece of cake! On his heels was the bike riding phenom, Kilo Dave. This time, DD plans on being present with rested and healthy running sticks! I'm putting it out there: I am bringing the HEAT!

Tuesday - May 27

Run
  • 1h 50m
  • 12.10 miles
  • 09m 05s /Mi

Lair O' the Bear trail run.
2900 feet of ascent
I pretty much jogged this today. My legs felt pretty good for having raced yesterday. Now though I feel a tight dull pain on the outside of my upper thigh below my hip. I think I'll back off a little for a few days.

Race report is up!

Monday - May 26

Run
  • 37m 23s
  • 6.25 miles
  • 05m 59s /Mi

No PR today.
4th in Age out of 368

A little disappointed in my time. I was on track to break 37:00 though 5 miles but wasn't tough enough to finish the race well. I totally faded on the last mile.

Overall though, I'm happy. I'm still just 3 weeks removed from my marathon and I have been dealing with an injury that even as late as last night, kept today's race in doubt.

Good effort, not great but I will take it.

Splits:
mile 1:
0:05:36.68
mile 2:
0:06:02.44
mile 3:
0:06:09.17
mile 4:
0:06:06.93
mile 5:
0:05:55.87
mile 6:
0:06:14.07
net time:
0:37:23.14
pace:
6:02 (based on net time)

Sunday - May 25

Bike
  • 1h 13m
  • 20.00 miles
  • 16.44 Mi/hr

Spun out the legs this evening on the urban assault vehicle. My verve-nerve was very tight today. I hope that I can loosen it up in the morning before the race!

This can go either way for me. I feel fit and healthy and mentally capable of going under 37:00 but I just am not too confident in my leg. It is still very sore and tight. I was encouraged on Thursday when I ran a 38 minute 6 mile fun/run/time trial on a very windy day.

I guess the first mile or two will set the tone. If I can go out and nail a 5:40 mile one and a 5:50 mile two, I just need to maintain a 6 minute per mile pace through the hills of 3 and 4... keep it together on 5 and surge on 6 and I should get there. Last year though, I got some bad side stitches at mile 2-5 and in 2005 my shoe untied and I ran with curled toes to keep my shoe from falling off...
Screw it, I'm going to finish off this glass of wine, hit the sack and wake up early and I will get loose. It's going to be a beautiful day to race.

Run
  • 20m
  • 2.00 miles
  • 10m /Mi

easy running with some short strides @ F4

WARNING BOLDER BOULDER Ok, I'm sorry... I know this is coming at you last minute and sheet, but that's how we roll in Dimeland. Here's the PSA: AVOID SECTION 110 after the Bolder Boulder 10K on Monday!!! I REPEAT, AVOID SECTION 110!!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED Seriously, If you are annoyed by grown men who act and talk like drunken sailors and drink like frat boys in a pirate costumes, then by all means go to a different section. Mark Dillard and Dick Dime and a few other brave BT souls plan to convene for a little post race hi-fiving and beer diving in the sorry and cursed land known as Section 110. Save your soul and don't venture to this part of the stadium. There are thousands of other places to partake in family fun. But remember, if you choose to venture into our no-man's land, you do so at your peril. And as always remember what a wise 6 year old girl told me last year: "when your legs get tired, run with your heart." And especially remember the troops! Bring them home now, give them real and unlimited health care including mental health care and a REAL education... with stipends, living expenses and admission to any school they qualify to attend - for free! Cut the Sh*t and put your money where your mouth is... yeah, I'm speaking to you Mr. "I had better things to do" so I'll take 5 deferments, Cheney, and to you, Mr. "I no pee in cup, me run-away behind daddy (deserter) and not go veetnaaam war", Bush and to you Mr. "I had a boil on my a$$ so I got a pass Limbaugh and the rest of the neo-CONS!!! Remember why we are at war and at what cost! Take the bus or car pool if you can! Cheers, Dick mfing Dime

Saturday - May 24

Bike
  • 2h 50m
  • 46.50 miles
  • 16.41 Mi/hr

Rode down to the Chatfield Pond on the Urban Assault bike then swam and ran and rode back home with Dills.

Run
  • 32m 20s
  • 4.00 miles
  • 08m 05s /Mi

Ran nice and easy after the swim. Mostly to warm up; I was freezing!

Swim
  • 43m
  • 1900.00 meters
  • 02m 16s /100 meters

a little faster than on Wednesday (by about 3 minutes).

DickDime's Training Log

May 2008 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
     1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Volume

Time
Distance

Upcoming races