D I C K D I M E

The following equipment is nearing replacement:

Tuesday - July 29

Bike
  • 16m
  • 3.50 miles
  • 13.13 Mi/hr

Ride home from the U-Haul joint.

Still moving stuff. I'm tired. The Denver place is just about empty. Pretty sad... end of an era.

Monday - July 28

Bike
  • 14m
  • 3.50 miles
  • 15.00 Mi/hr

Rode the fixie to get the UHAUL

U-Haulin' to Vail today... This could very well be an unplanned day off. I would love to go to the Gravel Pond tonight, but I doubt I'll be back in time. I'll bring my running shoes and swim gear with me just in case. If I don't get a workout in, no big deal. I had a HUGE weekend and I'm sure a little rest would benefit me. I'm starting to feel like I'm ready for the 5430 HIM. I'm looking to go under 4:40 (4:45:59 last year). I'm thinking: 38ish on the swim, let's say 40:00 to be safe... (last year 42:39) 2:22ish on the bike (last year 2:21:04)... I could go faster or slower than last year, I killed the bike last year (23.8 mph avg) so anything close will be good. 1:35 on the run (1:39:39 last year - the heat did me in). This puts me at 4:35, last year both of my transitions totaled 2:34 so if I match them that puts me at 4:37:34! I would be so stoked if I pulled that off. Everything has to go right, but it is possible. I have to swim well, I actually could make a little time on the bike too and then I must hold it together on the run. That course is tough and it is always hot out there... I feel capable of the time, though!

Sunday - July 27

Bike
  • 2h 22m
  • 48.60 miles
  • 20.54 Mi/hr

Denver loop. I felt a little tired on the bike today. Dills' was hammering and I rode his back wheel more than he rode mine. It was hot and the bike trail was crowded. Great ride.

Run #1
  • 41m 30s
  • 6.00 miles
  • 06m 55s /Mi

Second run of the R/B/R brick. By now the sun was cookin'. Dills' plan called for two miles easy, second to harder, and the final two very hard. I figured with the extreme heat that if there were going to be any fast miles, the first two would have to be them. I took off pretty hard right away, and just hung on to the finish. The last mile is uphill and I could feel my heart trying to blow up my chest cavity. Turned the hose on and poured cold water over my head when I was done. Had pancakes, beers and Margs afterwards. Awesome!!

Run #2
  • 47m 50s
  • 6.00 miles
  • 07m 58s /Mi

First run of the R/B/R brick with Dills. This run was at an easy warm-up pace but at 7:30 the sun was already warming up!

Oh nooooo! 6:00 AM and it's time to head to Dills' house for our Run/Bike/Run brick! Something tells me I shouldn't have finished the whole bottle of Funky Llama Shiraz. Especially after finishing off the 6er of Coors Light! Dills is gonna' hurt me.

Saturday - July 26

Bike
  • 1h 03m
  • 20.00 miles
  • 19.05 Mi/hr

easy spin after swim... no real hard efforts, just loosening up for tomorrow's HUGE Run,Bike,Run brick with Dillard.

Run
  • 1h 20m
  • 12.00 miles
  • 06m 40s /Mi

This was a good workout. I ran with my Team Denver Marathon athlete, Karie, who is a FAST girl... We did 3 x 3 mile at tempo and then I did a 4th to cool down. 4 minute rest between each interval... Good effort

Swim
  • 41m 30s
  • 1975.00 meters
  • 02m 06s /100 meters

Snuck in to the pond later than I was supposed to!

Friday - July 25

Bike
  • 1h 26m 45s
  • 30.00 miles
  • 20.75 Mi/hr

CCREZ Loop and back. Good effort.

Run
  • 48m 30s
  • 6.50 miles
  • 07m 28s /Mi

Quick brick. Wash Park loop and back.
Good effort.

I am getting closer to the big move to Vail! Today I will try to box stuff heading to storage and to Vail. I did find a place for me AND Ramone. I will be living in Minturn in a very small 1 br that will be the NEW DICK DIME WORLD HEADQUARTERS by August 1st. I have learned that my money is worth less in Vail and for the price of a downtown mortgage, I get to live in what amounts to a hotel suite. Oh well, I am still fired up about this move. I am all about scaling back! Ever since the L-Monster (Lilia) and I broke up last year I have been trying to find a sense of place and balance. It has been a challenge and if the 36 races since last August are an indicator, balance is something sorely missing in my life. I watched/let my business tank, and moped around like a frickin' pussy. Anyway, I am here to tell you - that shit is over and this is my new beginning. So, I am going back to what I know: running bars, booking rock bands and hustling women! Just kidding about the women part... everyone knows that Dick Dime has no game! I will be living at about 8000 feet above sea level and often training at higher elevations. Hopefully, I will continue to improve at swimming and get faster on the bike and the run and be prepared to rock Ironman Arizona in November! All shit talking aside, I BELIEVE that I can qualify for KONA in my first Ironman. I am throwing it out there and putting the pressure on! Dick Dime WILL go sub-10 hours at IMAZ and he will earn and accept his KONA spot. So anyway, I feel good today. I am in a positive mood. I am thinking about a nice long bike ride at some point and a haircut with my crazy Korean stylist, Woonah!! She said, "I will make you look beautiful" and that is all I need to hear. I feel liberated in some way, I am scaling back to become a mountain man and to realize a dream. I do not know where my life is headed, but I know something great is coming my way. I am ready.

Thursday - July 24

Bike
  • 1h 30m
  • 30.20 miles
  • 20.13 Mi/hr

CCREZ Loop. I rained on me the whole way back, thank GOD! HOTTER THAN HELL.

Run
  • 50m 30s
  • 5.20 miles
  • 09m 43s /Mi

Ran with the the F4 tri group... Nice and easy with a few strides

Old Dick Dime will not be taking any chances at Ironman Arizona this year. I have reserved my race wheels for the race - renting/not buying! Photobucket

Wednesday - July 23

Bike
  • 1h 02m
  • 20.00 miles
  • 19.35 Mi/hr

Brick off the run.

Rode the fixie.

Run
  • 32m
  • 4.00 miles
  • 08m /Mi

Brick off the swim. Nice and easy with Ramone

Swim
  • 42m
  • 1975.00 meters
  • 02m 08s /100 meters

Got to the pond a little early. The water was very choppy still. I wish I swam later, cuz when I returned from my ride, it was like glass out there!

I have been looking at the numbers more closely from Sunday's Boulder Peak Tri. Although I had my best swim in an Olympic distance tri, I am still most excited about where my fitness is on the bike and run! I am coming to believe that the 24 races that I have completed so far this year have notched me up a bit. For instance: The winner of my age group, Tim Sandell, who can put all three events together kicked my ass 2:12:35 to 2:19:41 but, I did have a faster combined bike/run than him. Sandell: BIKE 1:07:33 RUN 41:36 TOTAL 1:49:09 Dime: BIKE 1:07:34 Run 39:57 TOTAL 1:47:31 I also had a faster T2 than him as well: 51" to 54" At The Boulder races, you have to be a complete triathlete to compete. I guess that is what keeps me interested in this sport. I have so much room to improve and it drives me. My swim: 29:30 (to beach) kept me in 8th place and out of the race before I even got out of the reservoir door.

DickDime's Training Log

July 2008 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
   1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31  

Volume

Time
Distance

Upcoming races