D I C K D I M E

The following equipment is nearing replacement:

Monday - May 18

Bike
  • 4h 40m
  • 83.50 miles
  • 17.89 Mi/hr

Ascent: 7385

Did the Copper triangle (some call it the Leadville Loop).

Started in Eagle Vail at the Bike Service and rode with Ciro. That is why it is 3 miles longer than yesterday.

This was the second time in two days that I did this epic Colorado ride. I told Ciro that my legs were tired... That I rode this route yesterday and I wanted to go "easy" - needless to say, we didn't go easy. I've ridden this ride at least a dozen times but I never went out like we did today. The first climb out of Minturn is Battle Mountain. We started out at a moderate pace, but the testosterone started to boil... before mile one of the climb I could tell Ciro wanted to see what I had. I decided to show him. I pushed the pace all the way to the last switchback dropped a gear and pulled away about 10 meters and then dropped another gear. Mistake. Ciro sprinted past me and I couldn't react in the gear that I was in. He got to the top of the first climb ahead of me. Well, that was a subtle victory for me. I didn't work as hard as him on that climb and the next climb is a long, long trek up to Tennessee pass near Ski Cooper (The Continental Divide) and I could tell that Ciro was hurting. I backed off and rode at his pace, chatted him up and told him to EAT. Towards the top of Tennessee pass, I dropped him. The next 5 miles into Leadville are pretty fast with some rollers and wind but pretty much the easiest part of this bike route. We got to Leadville, fueled up and began the 14 mile journey up Freemont Pass. Freemont is my nemesis. It destroys me. It is a long false flat that looks like a down hill but for the most of it is about a 1 to 3 percent grade before the 2 mile climb to the top. The wind is always in your face and this stretch is exposed and demoralizing. We worked hard to get to the base of the steep climb. This time I wanted to push it. Ciro stayed on my wheel and as we got close to the top I tried to surge, Ciro came back, I surged again, and again he came back, again and again until finally he grabbed my shirt and said enough. I had him! After that, we descended down to Copper (over 50 mph at times) before the last climb up Vail Pass which we both took it pretty easy on. The descent was nice into East Vail but the last 14 miles to Eagle Vail were in a pretty wicked headwind.

This to the best of my knowledge is a new PR on this course. We crushed it.

Run
  • 1h 07m
  • 7.50 miles
  • 08m 56s /Mi

1402 of Ascent

Brick from Ciro's house which is close to the Beaver Creek roundabout on hwy 6. We ran the first 2 miles together and then I went up to the Dusty Boot in Beaver Creek and back to Ciro's.

what a day! nearly 9000 feet of climbing and I think I am over 20K of climbing over the last 3 days!

Sunday - May 17

Bike
  • 5h 13m
  • 80.04 miles
  • 15.34 Mi/hr

Copper Triangle... Minturn to Leadville to Copper through Vail and back to Minturn. 4 mountain passes

7053 Feet of ascent

Warm, but the wind was... well like nearly every day lately.

Run
  • 38m
  • 4.20 miles
  • 09m 03s /Mi

Brick

Trail run with Ramone

Saturday - May 16

Bike
  • 3h 43m
  • 62.50 miles
  • 16.82 Mi/hr

Out to State Bridge and Back.
5030 feet of ascent.
My quads hurt from yesterdays trail run.

Run
  • 1h 06m
  • 7.02 miles
  • 09m 24s /Mi

Brick - Trail run
Total ascent 1654

Friday - May 15

Run
  • 1h 22m
  • 6.40 miles
  • 12m 49s /Mi

Trail run with Ramone.

2700 feet of ascent

Ran up the backside of Game Creek Bowl which is essentially the world famous Minturn Mile. Ramone was so silly once we reached the snow. He would put his but down low and sprint through the snow like a freak. Then he'd wipe out. I kept laughing out loud and I think that made Ramone enjoy his antics all the more. He is very tired now. So am I. I had one too many Rumplemintz shots for my birthday last night and was still hung over at 3 when I started this run.

I sure am glad that Meg and Zach took good care of me last night and let me crash at their place. I hope I didn't do anything embarrassing! YIKES

Here is a video gift to all those people lucky enough to run the Colfax Marathon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qjehv3RCv0&feature=PlayList&p=4C4AD9052960AE31&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=1 http://www.myspace.com/umconscious

Thursday - May 14

Bike
  • 1h 40m
  • 31.00 miles
  • 18.60 Mi/hr

Vail Pass

Run
  • 37m 50s
  • 4.00 miles
  • 09m 28s /Mi

Trail run with Ramone. It' my birthday... one year faster!

Wednesday - May 13

Bike #1
  • 1h 09m
  • 20.06 miles
  • 17.44 Mi/hr

PM Bike after swim. Cold! should have worn gloves. Not as windy as this morning. Was going to run, but opted out as it was late...

1200 feet

Bike #2
  • 1h 33m 30s
  • 25.00 miles
  • 16.04 Mi/hr

Up Vail Pass (not to the top).
It has been very windy every day, but nothing like today. I went up Vail Pass faster than down it. 12.5 miles directly into the most fierce headwind ever. I don't remember wind like this in Denver or I chose not to ride in it.

Swim
  • 22m
  • 1000.00 meters
  • 02m 12s /100 meters

1 x 500
5 x 100 just counting strokes and "trying" to glide longer between strokes.

So I spent the $$. I'm in for the 5430 Long Course Triathlon. It is the only race of the 5430 series that I will be doing this year, although it is my favorite. According to USAT, however, my best race last year was the Boulder Peak (beat dills!), but my big goal is to crack the 4:40 mark which I missed by 28" last season. I'm happy about this registration. I am in for two HIM's and a Mary for this year now, The Colorado Relay with Altitude Adjusted, The St. George Marathon and some other races to be announced. I'm late figuring out my season, just as I had a late start getting rolling this year. So it goes. Here I go again, just registered for the Bolder Boulder... A wave baby! I don't think I can PR at this course (35:17), but I'd like to crack 37. I have a bad habit of fading on this course. I may change my tactic.

Tuesday - May 12

Bike
  • 1h 11m
  • 20.20 miles
  • 17.07 Mi/hr

Wind. This is not a lie: I was coming back with a tailwind, I turned hard right and the wind picked me and the bike off the ground. It felt like when you hydroplane in your car. Scary and true!

1200 feet of uphill

Run
  • 30m
  • 4.00 miles
  • 07m 30s /Mi

treadmill

Swim
  • 22m
  • 1000.00 meters
  • 02m 12s /100 meters

Swam

DickDime's Training Log