Bike
  • 1h 58m
  • 34.52 miles
  • 17.55 Mi/hr

Rode up Vail Pass again. Got rained on, got winded on, got colded on too...

Rainy and dreary out today. I got up to ride, but said screw it. I'm thinking about going running instead. I'm riding in Denver tomorrow with my buddy, Laura (an uber-athlete). We are meeting at REI Downtown at 10. If anyone wants to join us, you are more than welcome. I don't think we are riding long and we are definitely not riding hard. Sort of an easy pre-race spin. Maybe 35-40 miles at most. I might brick an easy run too. Dillard? Bridget? Come on and ride with me!

Bike
  • 1h 25m
  • 25.40 miles
  • 17.93 Mi/hr

Up Vail Pass to the Cul d' Sac. It was cold, windy and rainy. I'm so happy that after 4 years of this tri-hobby, I finally have things like leg warmers, arm warmers, raincoats, lights, etc... In the old days, I would have suffered.

Run
  • 1h 06m 57s
  • 7.40 miles
  • 09m 03s /Mi

Ran up Davos Trail again. I did the mtn bike race course is 37:11 - not bad

Bike
  • 1h 52m
  • 33.00 miles
  • 17.68 Mi/hr

I'm so proud of myself! I have been getting up early on a semi regular basis in order to get AM workouts in before work. I didn't do this last year late in my IM training and it showed in my performance.

Anyway, rode at 7 AM with Ciro. He was sporting his brand new Specialized Transition and wanted to test it on the Vail Pass race course. We started at the bike shop in Eagle-Vail and headed out in a cold and fierce headwind. The first 3 miles were so slow! we probably averaged about 11 mph. Once we turned into west Vail the winds were not as bad, but we still had to deal with them for 10 miles or so before the steep climb.

Long story short, I dropped Ciro today. Yeah, I know it is only training but he trains like he races... I got to the Cul d' sac 45 seconds ahead of him. Ciro was the 1st place amateur in last years Teva Vail Pass Uphill. I think he's starting to worry about me! hehe.

2531 feet of ascent today

Run #1
  • 1h 01m
  • 7.50 miles
  • 08m 08s /Mi

PM run. Some pretty good climbs on this route.

Run #2
  • 24m
  • 3.00 miles
  • 08m /Mi

Brick

I didn't have time to do more. Work.

For the record, 350 feet of asce

Open question to BT: Are Ramone and I the only two gentleman around here that think Doug Stanhope is the funniest comic in ever? I mean, funnier than Lenny Bruce and perhaps George Carlin?

Bike
  • 1h 04m
  • 21.70 miles
  • 20.34 Mi/hr

PM ride with the bike service up Lake Creek road. a 1400 foot climb. Thankfully the pace was reasonable today.

Run
  • 1h 29m
  • 10.00 miles
  • 08m 54s /Mi

Davos Trail

2736 feet of ascent

I ran the "Davos Course" in about 35 minutes. There is a mtn bike race on this course in July and hopefully I can do it in about 20 minutes. I need to find a bike to race!

Bike
  • 4h 40m
  • 83.50 miles
  • 17.89 Mi/hr

Ascent: 7385

Did the Copper triangle (some call it the Leadville Loop).

Started in Eagle Vail at the Bike Service and rode with Ciro. That is why it is 3 miles longer than yesterday.

This was the second time in two days that I did this epic Colorado ride. I told Ciro that my legs were tired... That I rode this route yesterday and I wanted to go "easy" - needless to say, we didn't go easy. I've ridden this ride at least a dozen times but I never went out like we did today. The first climb out of Minturn is Battle Mountain. We started out at a moderate pace, but the testosterone started to boil... before mile one of the climb I could tell Ciro wanted to see what I had. I decided to show him. I pushed the pace all the way to the last switchback dropped a gear and pulled away about 10 meters and then dropped another gear. Mistake. Ciro sprinted past me and I couldn't react in the gear that I was in. He got to the top of the first climb ahead of me. Well, that was a subtle victory for me. I didn't work as hard as him on that climb and the next climb is a long, long trek up to Tennessee pass near Ski Cooper (The Continental Divide) and I could tell that Ciro was hurting. I backed off and rode at his pace, chatted him up and told him to EAT. Towards the top of Tennessee pass, I dropped him. The next 5 miles into Leadville are pretty fast with some rollers and wind but pretty much the easiest part of this bike route. We got to Leadville, fueled up and began the 14 mile journey up Freemont Pass. Freemont is my nemesis. It destroys me. It is a long false flat that looks like a down hill but for the most of it is about a 1 to 3 percent grade before the 2 mile climb to the top. The wind is always in your face and this stretch is exposed and demoralizing. We worked hard to get to the base of the steep climb. This time I wanted to push it. Ciro stayed on my wheel and as we got close to the top I tried to surge, Ciro came back, I surged again, and again he came back, again and again until finally he grabbed my shirt and said enough. I had him! After that, we descended down to Copper (over 50 mph at times) before the last climb up Vail Pass which we both took it pretty easy on. The descent was nice into East Vail but the last 14 miles to Eagle Vail were in a pretty wicked headwind.

This to the best of my knowledge is a new PR on this course. We crushed it.

Run
  • 1h 07m
  • 7.50 miles
  • 08m 56s /Mi

1402 of Ascent

Brick from Ciro's house which is close to the Beaver Creek roundabout on hwy 6. We ran the first 2 miles together and then I went up to the Dusty Boot in Beaver Creek and back to Ciro's.

what a day! nearly 9000 feet of climbing and I think I am over 20K of climbing over the last 3 days!

Bike
  • 5h 13m
  • 80.04 miles
  • 15.34 Mi/hr

Copper Triangle... Minturn to Leadville to Copper through Vail and back to Minturn. 4 mountain passes

7053 Feet of ascent

Warm, but the wind was... well like nearly every day lately.

Run
  • 38m
  • 4.20 miles
  • 09m 03s /Mi

Brick

Trail run with Ramone

Bike
  • 3h 43m
  • 62.50 miles
  • 16.82 Mi/hr

Out to State Bridge and Back.
5030 feet of ascent.
My quads hurt from yesterdays trail run.

Run
  • 1h 06m
  • 7.02 miles
  • 09m 24s /Mi

Brick - Trail run
Total ascent 1654

DickDime's Training Log

May 2009 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
      1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16