Run
  • 27m 10s
  • 4.00 miles
  • 06m 47s /Mi

Treadmill - raining so I opted for the tready after my swim.

Swim
  • 40m
  • 2000.00 meters
  • 02m /100 meters

Decent swim in the rain. I did lots of 50s and 100s. Did the 50s mostly in 55-58 seconds and the 100s right around 2:00. 300 meter cool down.

So even though I didn't crush the race yesterday, I managed 2nd place in my AG out of 436 runners. Last year I was 4th out of 368 runners! This was so tough. I worked until 2:30 AM on Sunday. Went home and packed the car and drove straight to Boulder. Got pulled over for weaving... The cop said he thought that he had a DUI. I was struggling to keep my eyes open. I stopped and slept for 10 minutes, but had to get to the start because my race packet was not picked up from Runners Roost by my friend and I wasn't even sure if I was going to be able to race. Luckily, they had it at race day registration and I could breathe easy. After the race, Fil and Chris and I had about 6 beers each then after the elite race we left. Chris' friend Terry couldn't remember the cute street in Boulder that she parked the car on, so we walked around in a downpour for about 30 minutes, backtracked and eventually found the car. After they dropped me at my car, I napped for an hour or so and then went to Fil's house for a BBQ and had a few more beers. Hung out with Drew and Bridget made an appearance with Josh. On the drive home I had to stop to sleep 3 times. I left Fils at about 8:30 and made it my house at 6 in the morning. UGH

Run
  • 37m 33s
  • 6.27 miles
  • 05m 59s /Mi

Bolder Bolder 10k

Garmin stats
Ascent: 781
Mile 1: 5:46 AVG HR 166
-- too slow. During the past two BBs I ran this in 5:36 each year, but started too far back in my wave and kept getting stuck behind people.

Mile 2: 6:03 AVG HR 170
-- OK, 1sec slower than last year. I feel the beginning of a side stitch...

Mile 3: 6:08 AVG HR 161
-- last year 6:09 so not bad here.

Mile 4: 6:01 AVG HR 166
-- a strong mostly uphill mile 4; last year 6:06

Mile 5: 5:49 AVG HR 165
-- Probably my best mile. Last year 5:55

Mile 6: 6:06: AVG HR
-- Last year 6:07 so nothing special

Last .2 1:36 AVG HR 169
-- a 6:00 pace to the finish including that burly hill into the stadium so a strong finish

The conclusion:
Strong effort. I started out way too slow and couldn't make up the seconds lost to last year's time. Still I feel good about my race. I am still behind last year in terms of running fitness, but this race indicates tha that I'm just about back. Now I just need to start tweaking my fitness and include some speedwork into my volume.

Run
  • 14m 10s
  • 2.00 miles
  • 07m 05s /Mi

treadmill 1 mile easy 1 mile pace.

Swim
  • 12m
  • 500.00 meters
  • 02m 24s /100 meters

quick swim... 50s

I'm not feeling very fast these days. I haven't been racing or doing speedwork, although my total volume since Boston is better than at any point during my Ironman training last year. Last week was 25 hours and I've been over 20 hours for 3 consecutive weeks so for me that is a lot of volume. I'm feeling the need for rest too... So as for tomorrow's race. I'm not looking to PR the 10K (35:14) or the course (37:15), just run hard and respectably. Yesterday I felt a weird muscle type pull in my chest and back. It was like a knife cut me in half and I had to stop for a bit on my run. The pain was along my HR monitor on my chest and back. Today, I have felt soreness when I deep breathed so I think I pulled my heart muscle or something. Hopefully it feels better by tomorrow. Also, I bruised my lower back on a door knob at work... not too worried about that but there is some stiffness. Then today I banged my knee on a cabinet. It is totally sore above my knee cap! What else? Uh, my confidence is not where it normally is... So shit, I guess I'm ready to race. And finally, I swam today. A whopping 500 meters. I'm now at 5500 meters for 2009. My "plan" calls for a drastic increase in swimming yardage beginning today and into the Kansas IM 70.3 on June 14. If I stick to my plan, I should be ready to swim a PR and I think I'll be decent on the bike and on the run. Fingers are crossed.

Bike
  • 1h 56m
  • 35.00 miles
  • 18.10 Mi/hr

Rainy and windy... again. Vail pass to the Cul d' sac.

3114 feet of ascent

Run
  • 1h 30m 45s
  • 10.00 miles
  • 09m 04s /Mi

trail run
1963 feet if ascent
my heart rate was extremely elevated. It cannot be right because the average hr below is my 5k hr... weird

Bike
  • 1h 58m
  • 34.52 miles
  • 17.55 Mi/hr

Rode up Vail Pass again. Got rained on, got winded on, got colded on too...

Rainy and dreary out today. I got up to ride, but said screw it. I'm thinking about going running instead. I'm riding in Denver tomorrow with my buddy, Laura (an uber-athlete). We are meeting at REI Downtown at 10. If anyone wants to join us, you are more than welcome. I don't think we are riding long and we are definitely not riding hard. Sort of an easy pre-race spin. Maybe 35-40 miles at most. I might brick an easy run too. Dillard? Bridget? Come on and ride with me!

Bike
  • 1h 25m
  • 25.40 miles
  • 17.93 Mi/hr

Up Vail Pass to the Cul d' Sac. It was cold, windy and rainy. I'm so happy that after 4 years of this tri-hobby, I finally have things like leg warmers, arm warmers, raincoats, lights, etc... In the old days, I would have suffered.

Run
  • 1h 06m 57s
  • 7.40 miles
  • 09m 03s /Mi

Ran up Davos Trail again. I did the mtn bike race course is 37:11 - not bad

Bike
  • 1h 52m
  • 33.00 miles
  • 17.68 Mi/hr

I'm so proud of myself! I have been getting up early on a semi regular basis in order to get AM workouts in before work. I didn't do this last year late in my IM training and it showed in my performance.

Anyway, rode at 7 AM with Ciro. He was sporting his brand new Specialized Transition and wanted to test it on the Vail Pass race course. We started at the bike shop in Eagle-Vail and headed out in a cold and fierce headwind. The first 3 miles were so slow! we probably averaged about 11 mph. Once we turned into west Vail the winds were not as bad, but we still had to deal with them for 10 miles or so before the steep climb.

Long story short, I dropped Ciro today. Yeah, I know it is only training but he trains like he races... I got to the Cul d' sac 45 seconds ahead of him. Ciro was the 1st place amateur in last years Teva Vail Pass Uphill. I think he's starting to worry about me! hehe.

2531 feet of ascent today

Run #1
  • 1h 01m
  • 7.50 miles
  • 08m 08s /Mi

PM run. Some pretty good climbs on this route.

Run #2
  • 24m
  • 3.00 miles
  • 08m /Mi

Brick

I didn't have time to do more. Work.

For the record, 350 feet of asce

Open question to BT: Are Ramone and I the only two gentleman around here that think Doug Stanhope is the funniest comic in ever? I mean, funnier than Lenny Bruce and perhaps George Carlin?

DickDime's Training Log

May 2009 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
      1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Time
Distance
  • November's totals
  • October's totals