D I C K D I M E

Friday - May 8

Bike
  • 1h 08m
  • 25.20 miles
  • 22.24 Mi/hr

Early AM ride with The Bike Service guys... 7:30 rides are tough for me. We averaged 26.5 mph for the first 15 miles. I was so happy when it was time to start climbing. I can't ride like that!
1350 ft of ascent (basically the climb up to Beaver Creak.
Great ride!

Run #1
  • 36m
  • 4.00 miles
  • 09m /Mi

Second run - trail run for Ramone. He needed it.

Run #2
  • 1h 03m
  • 7.00 miles
  • 09m /Mi

BRICK

Ran up to Beaver Creek Village (from Avon) and a little more.
1283 feet of ascent.

Oh and congratulations to Alaina and Mark! Both made USAT All American! I'm sure I'm missing some others so if you made it, I kneel at your alter of fitness. Dime did OK too... USAT All American Honorable Mention. Not bad for someone who truly cannot swim. I wonder if I am the worst swimmer who got at least honorable mention. I bet.

Thursday - May 7

Bike
  • 3h 07m
  • 60.20 miles
  • 19.32 Mi/hr

Early AM ride with Ciro from the bike service. Freaking windiest day in history. 20+ sustained, gusts of 45 mph... about 3000 feet of ascent. A Very tiring ride. I'm taking a nap. Swim later.

I got a new wetsuit to replace my jacked one from IMAZ... I picked up a Blue Seventy Sprint for $185 bucks. Not a bad suit for me. No need to drop big cash on a FAST suit, cuz that would be like putting Dills on a P4... OUCH!

Run
  • 1h 05m 54s
  • 8.10 miles
  • 08m 08s /Mi

Run after swim. WINDY! Felt a little tired, but the sticks were good.

1050 feet of ascent

Swim
  • 23m
  • 1000.00 meters
  • 02m 18s /100 meters

I've never had a swim that I have enjoyed. Ever. I have had runs and bike rides that I didn't like; but just as many or more that I have loved. Never a swim that I have enjoyed. I suck so bad!

Wednesday - May 6

Bike #1
  • 1h 06m 30s
  • 20.30 miles
  • 18.32 Mi/hr

Rode with Drew down at Wash Park. God the hotties were out in force!

Bike #2
  • 3h 45m
  • 61.50 miles
  • 16.40 Mi/hr

Big ride. Lots of climbing. Lots of wind. I rode out to a place on the way to Steamboat called State Bridge. It was a little bar on the river that used to have shows. Me and Lilia actually stopped there once on our way to Steamboat. It was an awesome place. Was. It burned to the ground last year.

Run
  • 21m
  • 2.50 miles
  • 08m 24s /Mi

Brick with Drew. Fun!

Tuesday - May 5

Run #1
  • 27m
  • 4.00 miles
  • 06m 45s /Mi

Treadmill after my swim

Run #2
  • 55m
  • 6.60 miles
  • 08m 20s /Mi

Same hilly loop as yesterday morning. Hopefully a bike ride tonight.

Swim
  • 26m
  • 1000.00 meters
  • 02m 36s /100 meters

Too rainy to ride, so I swam. It felt weird with the cold rain dripping on my back.

Monday - May 4

Bike
  • 1h 09m 50s
  • 20.20 miles
  • 17.36 Mi/hr

I was able to sneak a short ride in tonight. It has been rainy and very windy.

Run
  • 57m
  • 6.60 miles
  • 08m 38s /Mi

Too rainy to ride, so I ran this morning. My sticks are starting to feel recovered from the mary.

Sunday - May 3

Bike
  • 2h 55m
  • 45.40 miles
  • 15.57 Mi/hr

Rode to the to of Vail Pass. I got caught in a snowstorm... near the top I saw Jesus pushing a mountain bike up the pass. He wore army fatigues and sandals. Taped to the back of the his panniers was sign that read: HUNGRY PLEASE HELP. I stopped and gave him a 5 dollar bill (my road money). I felt bad for him, I was freezing and he was wearing some Teva sandals. I kept going until I got to the rest stop on top of the pass... The snow was really coming down hard and I nearly called for a ride. Going down was tricky with the snow and sand on the trail. On my way down I did see another cyclist coming up. I couldn't believe it, this guy was glove-less. My hands were freezing with my Hardrock gloves. I couldn't imagine how cold his hands must of been. I passed Jesus once more on my way down. So Surreal. In East Vail the snow turned to rain and I battled a fierce headwind for the last 15 miles home.

Top Ten riders in my Cat, yesterday at the HILL Climb: Notice that there was only 24 seconds between my finish (tied for 8th) and 2nd place. I know if I hadn't forgotten my number, and I could have started in the front instead of in the back, I could have been a realistic contender for 3rd or 2nd. It took at least 10 seconds for me to get to the starting line and by that time the leaders were already way up the road. I'm happy about this race. It was my first ever bike race that wasn't in a tri or du and considering my lack of experience, I think I did well. 1 0:20:04 Steve Pekarek ColoBikeLaw.com Lakewood Riders Results 2 0:20:52 Henry Fischer One-Day License Riders Results 3 0:21:05 Wade Morrison Team Body Sync Parker Riders Results 4 0:21:07 Jared Berg Mafia Racing Louisville Riders Results 5 0:21:08 Ted Zuhlsdorf Redox Health.com Boulder Riders Results 6 0:21:09 Kevin Konczalski Blue Sky Velo Longmont Riders Results 7 0:21:10 Rushton McGarr One-Day License Riders Results 8 0:21:16 Sivio Guerra One-Day License Riders Results 9 0:21:16 Richard Paradis One-Day License Riders Results 10 0:21:52 Trent Cooper RRV Evergreen Riders Results 11 0:21:52 Nicholas Howell ColoBikeLaw.com Aurora Riders Results

Saturday - May 2

Bike
  • 42m
  • 12.00 miles
  • 17.14 Mi/hr

Includes warm-up and cool down at the Hillclimb

THE LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN HILL CLIMB 21:05 a new PR buy over 1 minute! This was the race that almost didn't happen. 1st I overslept this morning, perhaps do to 1 or 2 too many beers last night. When I woke up, I raced around trying to load up my car. I forgot to load Ramone! I drove to Denver Evergreen before noticing he wasn't in my car. Panic!! Luckily my neighbors found him and I could stop worrying. Then I thought that I would take a shortcut and go to the start backwards via Buffalo Bill's Grave... I got turned around because the road was closed. Eventually I made it to the registration... I parked about 20 feet from the registration booth illegally and left my car running. I signed up and for some reason walked down the hill to the point where I noticed that I would have to park. Only my car was still near regs/start. I'm losing my mind. Walk back up to the start, get my car, drive down the hill to a spot to park, set up my trainer and spin for 5 minutes, get dressed, see Adam (Gearwhore) getting ready, we ride to the start with about 5 or 6 minutes before the start. I'm just sitting there thinking, I better find a good spot up front, there is a lot of racers... WAIT!!! I forgot my number. Fuck. I race back down the hill to my car, nearly getting taken out by some rider who goes hard left without looking back! YIKES... I then mash back up to the start. I get there with less than a minute to spare, someone helps me get my number on and then bam... we are off. Unfortunately, I had to start way in the back. This sucked as the front guys had a giant lead on me. I didn't really care much, because the only goal that I had was to beat my two year old PR. I start out just pedaling and I look up and I realize that there are a good 75 riders ahead of me. higher up is a main pack and in front of them 3 leaders. I ride, by mile 1 I'm tearing into the pack. By mile two, I'm feeling pretty good and I'm in the group right behind the leaders. At this point I'm in the lower part of the top 10... I tried to gain on the leaders, but I just couldn't bridge the gap even though I felt strong. At mile 3 it gets really steep. my little group has shrunk the lead, but everyone pretty much stayed put position-wise. I rode well, and I think I could have done better if I started up front and if the course was longer. This race is 4.5 miles with a 1900 foot elevation gain. Still, I am very pleased. When I set my previous PR on this course, I was in top notch cycling shape. I feel like I have some base to build speed on. After the race it was too cold to wait around for results so me and Ryan (himself) and Adam (gearwhore) had coffee. One last thing. I spilled coffee on my blackberry, tried to clean it with Simple Green and now it won't dial out. My keypad is messed up. What a day. Made it back to Vail and now work...

• RACE DAY: Lookout Mountain Hill Climb

DickDime's Training Log

May 2009 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
      1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Volume

Time
Distance