• 5.20 miles
  • -----

jog

Swim
  • 45m
  • 2000.00 meters
  • 02m 15s /100 meters

swim

I have written of domestic terrorism here a few times before. So I will try not to proceed into a long diatribe about my disgust for radical right wing religious terrorism. Terrorism such as yet ANOTHER murder of a physician dedicated to the service of women and their reproductive rights. The anti-abortion movement has been fueled by media psycho's like Bill O'Rielly and Sean Hannity and the nut jobs strike again. Sadly, this type of violence will continue to intensify. "Pro Life" is the most disingenuous if not dishonest moniker ever bestowed upon an extremest group. Call them what they are! They are pro-birth, pro-war, pro-death penalty, anti-women and anti-gay. They supported a President who executed 150 'lives' under his watch as Gov of Texas, they supported 'his' war that killed American lives, Iraqi lives, Iraqi mothers and Iraqi children. Yes the anti-abortion movement support terrorism as a tactic. I submit, it is no surprise that these same idiots support Cheney and torture! The hypocrisy will never end! Rest in peace Dr. George Tiller. Man is a Religious Animal. He is the only Religious Animal. He is the only animal that has the True Religion -- several of them. He is the only animal that loves his neighbor as himself and cuts his throat if his theology isn't straight. He has made a graveyard of the globe in trying his honest best to smooth his brother's path to happiness and heaven. -- Mark Twain

Sunday - May 31

Run
  • 1h 52m
  • 15.00 miles
  • 07m 28s /Mi

2222 feet of ascent

So I joined a couple of buddies for a 15 miler from East Vail to Lions Head. I told these two yahoo's that my legs were tired and that I wanted to take it easy... Well the carnivores decided to take the opportunity to humble little ol' DD... From the first mile I couldn't keep up. By mile 3 I was 100 meters behind. I was OK with this, but part of me wanted to turn around. At mile 3 Greg's GF who was on a bike came back and asked me if I was alright. Salt on my wounds... 4 through 6 were rolling hills and I caught back up. And then pace got wicked. By the turnaround at 7.5 I was behind again... I was starting to feel better and noticed that I was faster on the uphills. I decided to charge every uphill and by mile 11 I had dropped Greg and Brian. At 12 there is a short but very steep uphill. Greg was charging... I relaxed and let him get within a few feet of me near the top. Then I charged and he couldn't recover fast enough to hang on. The last two miles are uphill and we ran low 7s (compared to high 7's on the way down)... I held Greg off and although it was a training run, it felt more like a race! I was spent.

Great training for Kansas 70.3. Big ride yesterday, tired legs today and a great run effort on those tired legs.

Swim
  • 21m
  • 1000.00 meters
  • 02m 06s /100 meters

I wanted to swim more, but I had a run scheduled and I was running late.

Saturday - May 30

Bike
  • 6h 10m 28s
  • 113.22 miles
  • 18.36 Mi/hr

Rode big with Steve and Drew.
Breckenridge plus Copper Triangle and plus Breckenridge.

About 10,708 feet of climbing and battled sun, wind, rain and massive climbs. Drew had an awesome day and rode farther than ever before... I think the same for Steve. This ride will be offered to the public again this summer. Don't miss it!

Friday - May 29

Bike
  • 1h 36m
  • 31.06 miles
  • 19.41 Mi/hr

Easy ride from the club down to Beaver Creek and then back to the East Vail Raquet Club

Run
  • 43m
  • 5.20 miles
  • 08m 16s /Mi

Brick

Nice and easy - let the hills around East Vail dicatate my effort

Swim
  • 11m
  • 500.00 meters
  • 02m 12s /100 meters

Easy Swim. I wanted to swim more but I ran out of time. I had my first flat on the Cervelo... then when I returned to my car it was flat too! UGH

Thursday - May 28

Bike
  • 1h 56m
  • 35.00 miles
  • 18.10 Mi/hr

AM ride from Minturn o the Cul d' Sac on Vail Pass. Nice morning

3773 feet of ascent

Run
  • 1h 00m 09s
  • 7.42 miles
  • 08m 07s /Mi

I am KING OF THE MOUNTAIN!

Ascent: 1466

Davos Trail run.

Explanation: There is this wiry young guy at work who has been challenging me. He rides his bike up Davos and I run. Anyway, Until recently I have been KOTM... The day before yesterday he broke my record of 36:11 with a ride of 32:58. He has been bragging and bragging. He got drunk at the bar last night and just had a blast with this. Anyway, long story short, he came in as I was heading to the pool and he was still gloating. I said screw it... I'm running up Davos. Well today I raced. I didn't look at my watch until I touched the gate of the tower! 32:18, I took the dude down! I AM KING OF THE MOUNTAIN and I took 5 minutes off my best time. Hell YEAH!

I am planning on doing the Copper Triangle on Saturday morning with a short run brick. If anyone wants to meet at the Copper Mtn Starbucks to join me let me know. The weather looks pretty good with only a slight chance of showers in the afternoon. 70s in the valley's and 60s on the passes. Here is a link to a map and elevation guide. I usually do it in the opposite direction... so that it is a downhill finish. http://www.coppertriangle.com/course.html http://www.coppertriangle.com/maps.html I'm thinking of starting at 10... It is a 4.5 to 6 hour ride depending on your speed. Last year we did this with a group and we did break off normally into smaller groups. After the ride I'm thinking of a 5 mile jog on the bike path along the river... The more the merrier!

Wednesday - May 27

Bike
  • 1h 22m
  • 25.35 miles
  • 18.55 Mi/hr

Ride before work. Windy but at least no rain and some sun - still cold (and I thought it was too late in the season to buy leg warmers back in April!)...

38:15 to the Cul d' sac on Vail pass from the parking garage... pretty good effort since I pretty much took it easy for the first 5 miles or so. I killed the steep climb!

2155 feet of ascent

Check out my training graph, I've never seen such evenly distributed colors... EVER!

Run
  • 1h 05m 48s
  • 8.13 miles
  • 08m 05s /Mi

Run after swim... cold tonight. Ran well.

1031 feet of ascent

Swim
  • 31m 30s
  • 1500.00 meters
  • 02m 06s /100 meters

Ladder workout.

I knew it, i knew it! Bolder Boulder's timing system did not work for Wave A... my time on my watch and the offial net time were significantly different. I started at the back of Wave A and the time it took for me to get to the start was not subtracted from my net. My Aquaphor team-mate confirmed this and I really hope BB corrects it. So I did do better than I thought! YAY.

Tuesday - May 26

Run
  • 27m 10s
  • 4.00 miles
  • 06m 47s /Mi

Treadmill - raining so I opted for the tready after my swim.

Swim
  • 40m
  • 2000.00 meters
  • 02m /100 meters

Decent swim in the rain. I did lots of 50s and 100s. Did the 50s mostly in 55-58 seconds and the 100s right around 2:00. 300 meter cool down.

So even though I didn't crush the race yesterday, I managed 2nd place in my AG out of 436 runners. Last year I was 4th out of 368 runners! This was so tough. I worked until 2:30 AM on Sunday. Went home and packed the car and drove straight to Boulder. Got pulled over for weaving... The cop said he thought that he had a DUI. I was struggling to keep my eyes open. I stopped and slept for 10 minutes, but had to get to the start because my race packet was not picked up from Runners Roost by my friend and I wasn't even sure if I was going to be able to race. Luckily, they had it at race day registration and I could breathe easy. After the race, Fil and Chris and I had about 6 beers each then after the elite race we left. Chris' friend Terry couldn't remember the cute street in Boulder that she parked the car on, so we walked around in a downpour for about 30 minutes, backtracked and eventually found the car. After they dropped me at my car, I napped for an hour or so and then went to Fil's house for a BBQ and had a few more beers. Hung out with Drew and Bridget made an appearance with Josh. On the drive home I had to stop to sleep 3 times. I left Fils at about 8:30 and made it my house at 6 in the morning. UGH

DickDime's Training Log

June 2009 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30    

Volume

Time
Distance

Upcoming races