• 2h 03m
  • 36.00 miles
  • 17.56 Mi/hr

Lazy ride. Started at the club in East Vail rode up to Beaver Creek and Back

Run
  • 26m 30s
  • 4.00 miles
  • 06m 38s /Mi

Treadmill... I like to use the tready close to races... Most of my running is S L O W and/or mountainous so I do not get a lot of opportunity to work on foot speed. The Treadmill is great for this.

I started out at a 7:30 pace and progressively pushed the speed. My last mile was about 5:30 with a the last .2 at 5:00.

I feel like right now I'm in my best shape of the year. I was a little soft at Boston in April but I have had a very good 6 week string of workouts. I am pretty sure that I am in better shape now than I was at Ironman Arizona in November. Last year I peaked way too early, probably in late August or early September.

I'm still not sure what I will be able to do at Kansas, but I do want to have my best 1/2 Ironman run. I'm thinking <1:30 but it will really depend on my nutrition and bike fitness (which is still not there yet - by 5430 it will be).

Swim
  • 31m
  • 1600.00 meters
  • 01m 56s /100 meters

10 x 50 (:49 to :57)
my first couple were in the 55/56 range and then I changed my stroke and I was doing 49/5o range
5 x 100 (1:50 to 1:55)
1 x 500 (a little of over 10 min)

Monday - June 8

I was feeling tired today... not from racing but from lack of quality sleep. I decided to rest today. I haven't missed a day since the day after The Boston Marathon 4/21, so I guess it is a good day to chill.

Sunday - June 7

Bike
  • 1h 00m
  • 20.00 miles
  • 20.00 Mi/hr

Includes My Vail Uphill Time Trial.

I averaged 18 miles per hour. The course started near the covered bridge in Vail and went up the pass to the Cul d' sac - 9.8 miles. My time was 32:30 and I managed 4th in my category. PR'd by 4 minutes and I was within 30 seconds of my projected time. The guys who started later in the day benefited by a 30 mph tailwind that came in about 1/2 hour after I went out! Luck of the draw I guess. All of the elites got the massive tail wind so this years numbers are skewed in their favor. Us early riders got a cross tail and then head winds up the pass! Oh well, I'm thrilled with my effort and I can be happy that my time is legitimate and now I have an honest benchmark. The first place guy in my cat was about a minute faster. they sent us out every 30 seconds and I caught 5 or 6 guys so that was fun.

Forgot my hr strap, so unfortunately no data

Run
  • 27m 30s
  • 4.00 miles
  • 06m 53s /Mi

Treadmill after pizza and beer after race

Swim
  • 22m
  • 1000.00 meters
  • 02m 12s /100 meters

1 x 500
some 50s and some 100s

I was tired in the water today since I rode and ran first

Saturday - June 6

Bike
  • 42m
  • 12.00 miles
  • 17.14 Mi/hr

Spun to The Village to have a few beers with my buddy from Denver and then spun back to the health club.

Run
  • 1h 47m 54s
  • 13.70 miles
  • 07m 53s /Mi

Race up Vail Pass.

3,156 feet of ascent!!!

I can't believe I averaged under 8 min a mile for this race. I exceeded my expectations and I think I ran too conservatively. Which was probably the right thing to do considering that this race and tomorrow's time trial are really just training races. Kansas 70.3 next week is the real deal.

I think I might have won my Age group since the best uphill runner in the world, Matt Carpenter placed second (WTF?) to USATF National Trail Running Champ Ricky Gates who won (taking Matt out of my AG). There was one guy who might be in my AG ahead of me, but my fingers are crossed.

Good effort today.

13th overall, 2nd place age group. Not too bad, but I could have done better. Still a great day.

Some of the best runners in the USA were here and it was cool to take the bus back to Vail and talk to the legendary Matt Carpenter!

Side note: In my age group is a badass triathlete, runner and snowshoer, Charlie Wertheim and I passed him at about mile 10. I think he blew up, but cool still.

Swim
  • 23m
  • 1000.00 meters
  • 02m 18s /100 meters

post run swim... felt fatigued a little bit.

Friday - June 5

Bike
  • 50m
  • 17.00 miles
  • 20.40 Mi/hr

Early morning spin to release my hangover...

I had one of the best shows ever last night at the bar.'

The Legendary Shack Shakers with The Woodbox Gang. Trust me... AWESOME!

So yeah, a bit hung over this morning.

Got a nice package of free gear and stuff from Aquaphor today... The new racing kits are sweet!

Also, my wheels for Kansas came in... EARLY!! Zipp Sub 9 with 808 front. I didn't expect them until next week, but this allows me to race them on Sunday... and if I race Lake to Lake in two weeks I'll just conveniently hang on to them for that too! YES. The wheelset is brand new. I'm stoked.

I'm very tired today. I'm going home and going straight to bed! Race in the morning... should be quite brutal. I know of a few pitches were running will mean walking, so it goes. I hope I do OK but because it is not a distance or a race where I have a time precedent, I will not be racing the clock and hopefully I stay out of an all out battle with other runners. The course is all uphill, so going fast is out of the question. I just really want to participate and have a decent race. Then time trial on tired sticks the next day. After that taper to Kansas and hopefully be ready to have a great HIM.

Thursday - June 4

Bike
  • 1h 50m
  • 35.00 miles
  • 19.09 Mi/hr

About 3300 feet of ascent
From Minturn to the the Cul d' sac and back. I like riding my TT. I've ridden my road bike exclusively this year until yesterday and today. I never realized how much of a distance the forward 78 degree seat tube makes. That and my very aggressive position makes me feel as if I'm nearly nose to pavement. My one concern is that I can tell that I am firing a few different muscles on this bike and I hope I won't get tired in Kansas and that I can run well off the bike. Early season long courses are tough unless your name is David Anderson.

Run
  • 27m 45s
  • 4.00 miles
  • 06m 56s /Mi

treadmill

Swim
  • 20m
  • 1000.00 meters
  • 02m /100 meters

A little water-boarding

Well I did it... I registered for two grueling Teva Games races this weekend. On Saturday I will be running A half marathon with 2900 feet of elevation gain. It starts at Golden Peak in Vail and finishes near the rest stop on top of Vail Pass. The course is actually a bit longer than a half - 13.7 miles. Not that it matters... I have no concept of what kind of time I can run. My plan is to run steady for the first half which is uphill but more moderate. I can probably run the first 6 miles in <45 but then the next seven will be hard! The grade sharpens drastically the rest of the way... so perhaps a 1:15 for the final 7.7. I'm not sure if I can break 2 hours but that is the goal but anything under 2:15 will probably keep me in the top 15 (I think). Then on Sunday I am doing the Fetzer Vail Pass Time Trial. It is basically my "Cul d' Sac" ride that I do frequently. It is the famous Coors Classic time trial from the 1980s. Andy Hampsted's long standing record was broken by two riders last year. In 2007 Floyd Landis got smoked by like 10 riders! Today I did it in 36 minutes. I'm in the 35+ catagory and anything slower than 34 will not even be close to podium. It is really hard to say what I will be capable of especially after the run race the day before, but <35 would be a good time for me. The best guys will be just under 30 minutes. In the back of my mind the number 32 is flashing... maybe.

Wednesday - June 3

Bike
  • 58m 30s
  • 22.50 miles
  • 23.08 Mi/hr

Rode the TT bikefor the first time this year. Felt OK... went up to East Vail and back, hard effort with the climb and wind.

My bike rides great! It had a shitload of dirt in the bottom bracket... I'm glad I did all of this maintenance.

OVERSLEPT! Missed my AM ride and it is SUNNY... This is frustrating. I guess I needed a little rest. Hopefully I can get a ride and maybe a swim or run in tonight. Now I have pressure. Lame. The old TT bike is in the shop... I completely killed my drive train. I knew this at IMAZ cause I went in for a tune-up and the bike mechanic told me as much. At that time I replaced the chain. Today, the bike is being fitted with a new crankset, and cassette and new/used aero bars plus a badly needed tune-up. This bike is on its 3rd season and with over 10k on it, should be its last season. I haven't ridden it outdoors since IMAZ so if it is finished I'll ride it tonight. I think I will race it in the Vail Uphill Time Trial on Saturday too. I need to get comfy on it again before IM Kansas 70.3 in 11 days. One thing about this bike, it is a proven racer. At Wildflower in 2007, it's second race, We crashed at mile 3 of the race. I was so sad to see it all banged up. After a few minutes of road repair, we were off and had a great race... after that we never looked back. I've raced a number of races averaging over 25mph on it and over 24mph at the 5430 HIM - We even won a few du's and tri together; so though I have serious bike envy at races, I love my Leader TT. Together we have done a LOT of races - including Ironman Arizona - and my bike splits have always been very good. Last year at the Boulder Peak I had the same bike split as the guy who won my AG, Tim Sandell, and I was two minutes faster than number two, Brad Cooper, who is the best triathlete in my AG from the State of CO... My favorite memories of this bike are from the Chilly Cheeks Duathlon Series of 2007 (1st place AG and Overall); two of the races had snow on the road. Most people rode MTN Bikes and Cross bikes... I just changed the tires to something with a little tread and raced (so did Dillard by the way). The bike handled pretty well in the snow and ice! So yeah, it may not be as sexy as a many of the dream TT's out there, it has done the job and I'm going to destroy on it this year. Next year I'm considering another IM and this time a KQ... When I go to Hawaii, it won't be on the Leader, My ego has grown and I think I need a bike with more cool factor. Then again, maybe not.

DickDime's Training Log

June 2009 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30    

Volume

Time
Distance

Upcoming races