Wednesday - October 22

Swim
  • 1h 10m
  • 3000.00 yards
  • 02m 20s /100 yards

Short swim with lots of kicking - taking it easy on the elbow.

Warm Up:
5 minutes or so of arm swings first and some leg swings.

8x 50s odds freestyle, evens backstroke.

Long kick set:
Board and snorkel:

200 kick
2x 100s 2nd one faster than the first
4x 50s descend 1-4

4x 50s dolphin kick

With fins:
4x 50s dolphin kick
4x 50s kick on stomach, L side, R side, back
2x 100s 1st one dolphin kick, 2nd one freestyle
1x 200 FAST

elbow was ok, so did the alternate:

4x 200s with a buoy on 20 SR - just swimming easy
--------------------------------
Elbow was not so bad today, but I could still feel it - aggravated it the most this morning making the bed, not swimming. I still took it very easy on the stroke work, and did the optional 4x200 at the end without too much bother. I have an appointment with Dr. Cho tomorrow. Right calf got a little crampy at the beginning of the fin work, but I think that was just because of the forced toe pointing - just had to kinda manage it through the rest of the set.

• Calories out: 3309 From lifestyle:2710, From activities:598

Tuesday - October 21

Bike
  • 1h 11m 30s
  • 21.78 miles
  • 18.28 Mi/hr

Tuesday Morning Group Ride.
A fastie showed up today, So I just sat second wheel just about the whole way around the loop. He did a couple of hard short intervals so I just stuck on his wheel. So a couple of hard intervals, but nothing too long. Right hamstring is a little sore, but my elbow feels a little better. It felt OK most of yesterday, but really started bugging me just before I went to bed. interested to see how it feels tomorrow morning during the swim.

• Calories out: 3626 From lifestyle:2709, From activities:917

Monday - October 20

Run #1
  • 1h 00m
  • 3.50 miles
  • -----

JT and walked to breakfast and back together. Legs are tired from yesterday - good to stretch them out before geting in the car. Elbow is sore.

Run #2
  • 1h 01m 23s
  • 4.68 miles
  • 13m 07s /Mi

Light Speedplay Run, then strength.

Warmed up 15 minutes
2-3 strides
15 more minutes of warming up then:

6x long strides of 45 seconds with 45 seconds of walking between each one.

walked 5 min or so before strength.
------------------------
Strength:
20 forward SLOW lunges
20 crab-walks (each direction)
10 good mornings then 6 one-legged RDLs on each leg
40 body weight squats
20 reverse SLOW lunges
20 body weight squats with a small hop at the top of the movement

After all of that I walked and stretched for about 5~10 more minutes to warm down.
--------------------------------------------
Legs were tired and a little stiff, so took a while to get going on the run. the lunges really hammered my high hamstrings (right up under my glutes) so I backed off and took it nice and easy on those.

• Calories out: 3767 From lifestyle:2666, From activities:1100

Sunday - October 19

Bike
  • 3h 19m 49s
  • 49.19 miles
  • 14.77 Mi/hr

5800' of climbing.
Rode with Todd and Zach, so of coursr with Todd we both went too hard. I immediately took a punch at him up the climb to Suches, and then up Woody but he sat on my wheel with no problem. We got to the top of Woody and Todd stopped to rest and I rode back down to Zach, then soft pedaled up to the top with him. We rolled down to Stonepile then Turners Corner, and then Todd took a slug at me up Neels, but about halfway up he flagged a litle bit so I worked hard to drop him. I turned around at the top and rode back down to Zach and then soft pedaled again with him back to the top where Todd was resting. Down Neels, then up Wolfpen, and of course I attacked Todd again at the bottom, but quickly found I was pretty well done and I popped. Todd rode back in to me and then attacked me hard, and it was all I could do to stay close, and then ride back up to him just before the top. We waited at the top for Zach (I elected not to ride back down to him this time - heh) and then Todd and I limped back to the car, ordered lunch and waited for Zach to roll in. So that was a very fun day - I know it is not always the best training in the world, but it is great to ride with Todd.

• Calories out: 4735 From lifestyle:2599, From activities:2135

Saturday - October 18

Run
  • 50m 18s
  • 2.54 miles
  • 19m 48s /Mi

Well, not a long hike, but all we had time for once the day was done. We were up at 5am headed to the race site, and I was on my feet most of the day setting up and breaking down. So maybe that is something.

Volunteered for race setup and takedown for a 5k up in Blue Ridge. I actually got to ride the lead bike for the race as well. I am surprised how slightly nerve wracking that was - it was a great course for spectators as it looped back and forth through downtown, but it had lots of turns and I was afraid I would screw it up. it was fun.

• Calories out: 3103 From lifestyle:2727, From activities:376

Friday - October 17

Swim
  • 1h 15m
  • 3200.00 yards
  • 02m 20s /100 yards

Warm Up 8x 100s
odds freestyle
evens reverse IM order (free, brst, bk, fly).

Kick Set:
8x 50s 15 SR
1st 25 is moderate
2nd 25 is build

Light IM set:
12x 50s overlapping IM. 20 SR
1 fly, bk
2 bk, brst
3 brst free
4 free fly

Main Set:
3x 500s lightly descend 1-3, no equipment on any of them. EZ 50 backstroke between each 500.

250 warmdown.
------------------------------------
Well, that was not nearly as awful as I thought it would be. Kinda blechy during the warmup, but started to come around a bit on the kicking. I liked the overlapping IM. On the 500s I sometimes felt good, but then all of a sudden I would feel like I was bulldozing through the water. And it feels like I may have somehow begun to develop a little tendinosis in my right elbow - I could feel it especially on the breast. Ah, well. Right elbow was a little sore, especially on the breast and fly. Feels like a little tendonosis coming on.

• Calories out: 3347 From lifestyle:2706, From activities:641

Thursday - October 16

Run #1
  • 1h 00m
  • 3.50 miles
  • -----

Walk to Breakfast.
Got caught up on a lot of work and then also had a late lunch before finally heading back to the house.

Bike
  • 50m 29s
  • -----
  • -----

Moderate Recovery Brick: The Bike.

Power targets are pretty easy because. . . well there's no reason for them to be hard right now.

10 min warmup then:

15 minutes:

5 @ 170 race cadence
5 @ 180 60 RPM or lower
5 @ 190 race cadence

5 EZ

15 min:

5 @ 180 race cadence
5 @ 200 60 RPM or lower
5 @ 190 race cadence

Short 5 minute warm down before run.
-------------------------------
Good to finally get back on the bike, even if only the trainer. It was hard to judge my effort, but I think maybe my powermeter might be settling back in after I took the chainrings off, cleaned everything up and reassembled/re-torqued everything. Supposedly it takes several rides and hard efforts after puting it back together to get everything working corectly again, I would imagine 6 gap would have served that purpose perfectly if that were the problem. Will be interested to see once I get back out on the road this weekend to find out. At least the calibration numbers seemed more stable. If theyare all over the place this weekend I will send it back to quarq next week.

Run #2
  • 34m 32s
  • 4.40 miles
  • 07m 51s /Mi

Steady State Run off the Bike.
First two miles off the bike were good and in the zone per HR, but in the second two I maintained the same effort but my HR really crept up. The effort was not harder, just a little detraining/uncoupling I am guessing. I am obviously a little heavy as well: 151 pounds this morning - yikes! Hopefully I will be able to get back to somewhat of a normal schedule from here on out.

• Calories out: 4325 From lifestyle:2646, From activities:1679

TankBoy's Training Log

October 2014 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
    1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31 

Volume

Time
Distance