Sunny
High 88F
Low 79F

Sunday - May 26

Run
  • 1h 03m 40s
  • 8.09 miles
  • 07m 52s /Mi

I can't believe I went this fast. I just ran comfortably, no Garmin, no timer, no nothin. Just pressed start on my phone stopwatch and went. Didn't look at it til I was done. I was struggling to make 8:30 pace on a 6 mile run a month ago.

3 weeks of CrossFit and BOOM...I've dropped my pace 40 seconds a mile AND still had lots of gas left in the tank at the end of this run! SWEET!!

So...I'm really excited about the changes I've been seeing both in my body composition and my performance in the past month. Joining a REAL CrossFit box has been the one move I really needed to make. Doing it on my own is fun, but without the coaching and the nuance-correcting, it made me less apt to succeed in changing my performance. Now that I'm this deep into CrossFit, it was a needed move to join a box with coaches who can correct those small things that will push me past my PRs and get me stronger and faster.

Today's run was definitely a case-in-point supporting that hypothesis. I didn't really have to TRY to hit the pace I hit. I probably could have pushed harder and gone faster, but I was really thrilled that I never really got out of my comfort zone, went faster than I expected, AND still had energy left when I was done. I'll do 9 miles next week, hopefully keeping the same pace or maybe going a little faster, and still feeling awesome. There are some good workouts on the agenda this week, so I'm gonna concentrate on keeping my POWER up, not so much the all-out strength or RX weights...just the most efficient execution of my workouts.

• Calories out: 3522 From lifestyle:2632, From activities:890
  • Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 4 Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 4 Hours slept: 9 Overall Workout: 4

Saturday - May 25

Bike
  • 16m 43s
  • 4.37 miles
  • 15.68 Mi/hr

Rode the single speed from home to the shop, before running to the gym. Typical wind from the east thwarting me the whole way.

Run
  • 05m 51s
  • 0.75 miles
  • 07m 47s /Mi

Quick run to the gym after leaving my bike at the shop. I don't trust even a lock at the gym as I've had a customer tell me he rode his bike there and locked it up, and it was stolen in broad daylight. Yeah I don't need that.

Sport
  • Crossfit
  • 12m 49s

Since I had ridden to work and then ran from work to the gym, I didn't really need any sort of pre-WOD warmup. So I just went straight for the workout, after setting up my space.

For time:
20 overhead walking lunges, 45# plate
20 mule kicks (stand up after every rep)
20 SDHP (75#)
20 push press (75#)
20 burpee box jumps (24")
20 toes to bar
20 double unders
20 KB swings (53#)

This was actually hard. I didn't think it'd get me so hypoxic, but the mule kicks really...ummm...kick. You're basically in a hand stand for a second or so and then whip yourself upright. OUCH! Burpee box jumps are no joke either. Funny how the double unders are so easy now, when they used to be my nemesis. Great WOD...I wonder how I would have scored at the box if I'd gone this morning. Had to do this one at the globogym cuz I had to be at work early.

• Calories out: 3023 From lifestyle:2667, From activities:356
  • Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 4 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 4 Hours slept: 8 Overall Workout: 4

Friday - May 24

Sport #1
  • Crossfit
  • 12m

10 minutes to find a good working heavy front squat weight for a single rep.
95 x 2, 115 x 2, 135, 145, 155
Stopped at 155 cuz we only had 10 minutes to build up and I was working with another guy.

Then, 20 reps at 50% of the highest weight achieved. I did 85 pounds, since 77.5 or 80 was too hard to accomplish with the weights at hand.
20 reps...easy for the first 10, then got a little harder and the last two reps my legs actually buckled a bit. Good set!

Sport #2
  • Crossfit
  • 10m 46s

RX on this workout was 155# SQUAT cleans.
Coach Alex gave us the choice to do power cleans, but you still had to start from the floor, no hangs.

Since I wasn't gonna do 155 (I tried one rep and it was NOT pretty), I figured I'd do the power cleans. I figured if I'm not gonna do RX weight, I might as well make it a bit easier on my hips and do the power cleans, and concentrate on speed on the runs. It worked pretty well!

VERY THRILLED ABOUT MY HANDSTAND PUSHUPS!! I have been struggling with them for a while but the constant shoulder training I've been doing lately has REALLY paid off!! I did 15 of them in the WOD today and they were MOSTLY RX...there were a few where I didn't get my head all the way to the floor, and that was only in round 2. :)

SO...my workout...
For time-
Run 800m
5 cleans (135#)
5 HSPU
Run 400m
10 cleans
10 HSPU
Run 200m
15 cleans

I was thankful that the WOD didn't include 15 HSPU's in round 3...thanks Coach Rob! :)

I finished in 10:46, first in the class, first for the day as far as time goes, and at only 20 pounds under RX, I'm pretty satisfied with my performance for today's WOD.

Sport #3
  • Stretching
  • 10m

Just a short shoulder and hip stretching routine today. Nothing too intense.

• Calories out: 2866 From lifestyle:2658, From activities:208
  • Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 4 Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 4 Hours slept: 9 Overall Workout: 4

Thursday - May 23

Sport #1
  • Crossfit
  • 04m

Warmup WOD:
3 rounds of Cindy, not for time
5 pullups
10 pushups
15 squats
PAY ATTENTION TO FORM. I got REALLY deep in my squats and got really nice full extension on the pullups.

Sport #2
  • Crossfit
  • 18m

AMRAP day!

4 min AMRAP of-
Row for max calories
76 calories!

3 min rest

4 min AMRAP of-
15 push press, 95# (RX)
15 knees to elbow
2 rounds + 6 PP

3 min rest

4 min AMRAP of-
10 burpee box jumps
10 ring rows
2 rounds + 8 BBJ

Ranked pretty well in this one. Second in class today. First guy got less calories but got over 3 rounds in both of the other AMRAPs.

Sport #3
  • Stretching
  • 20m

I got to the box early today to make sure I rolled on the foam roller and stretched a little more than usual today. I knew my arms and shoulders were gonna take a beating from the WOD today. So, lots of band stretching, foam rolling and yoga postures to open up my joints.

• Calories out: 2900 From lifestyle:2665, From activities:235
  • Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 4 Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 4 Hours slept: 8

Wednesday - May 22

Today was a complete and total rest day.  Aside from going to the doctor for my usual checkup (see below) and going to eat, I hardly got out of bed all day.  My body just NEEDED rest.  So...back to the usual stuff tomorrow.

Health note:
Can I just tell you how awesome I feel? I found out today that my cholesterol went from 192 to 152 over the past few months!  Now...I have been taking cholesterol medication for over a year now, and in that year, my level went from 215 to 192.  BUT...in the past few months, I've become more paleo (not totally, but better), I've eaten ALOT of eggs and bacon (counterintuitive it seems???) and have added garlic and papaya enzyme to my nightly supplement routine!  BOOM!  40 points down!!  Take that, simvastatin!!!

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 4 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 2 Hours slept: 12

Tuesday - May 21

Sport #1
  • Crossfit
  • 05m

Pre-WOD warmup...

NOT for time...perform the following:
Row 300m
30 double unders
30 hollow rocks
3 rope climbs

I actually did a total of 70 double unders. 30 during the warmup, and then another 40 after it. All unbroken each time.

Sport #2
  • Crossfit
  • 08m 56s

WOD:
2 rounds for time of-
20 wall ball (20#)
20 pullups
20 alternating pistols
20 alternating DB snatch (40#)

Did this RX and managed the fastest time in the class again. But not the fastest overall for the day. Close though. :)

Sport #3
  • Stretching
  • 12m

Another good stretching and mobility session today. My elbows and shoulders are in definite need of a rest day (tomorrow) so they can recover. I felt a lot of tenderness in those two joints today during the mobility session.

I am getting scared.  I have stopped running again.  I MUST run tomorrow...I MISS IT!!  It's not like I don't WANT to run, but I'm so embroiled in CrossFit right now that it's the priority to get my fitness back.  Running makes me feel good, but I don't get FITTER from it.  However, mentally, it really helps.  So tomorrow I will run.  I was supposed to bike to work today but the weather had something to say about that, so perhaps I will just do a brick tomorrow.

There's a sprint in West Palm Beach on Sunday morning...hmmmm...thinking of just throwing myself to the dogs and signing up.  It's a sprint...it's not like I need to train for it. :)

• Calories out: 2815 From lifestyle:2675, From activities:139
  • Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 4 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Hours slept: 8 Overall Workout: 4

Monday - May 20

Sport #1
  • Crossfit
  • 35m

Warmup:
3 rounds of
5 front squat (empty bar...45#)
5 KB swing (35#)

SWOD:
5 x 5 bent over barbell row
Damn...my back was NOT happy after yesterday's workout so I really had to keep the bar close to my body (which is desirable) to keep from feeling pain in my lower back.
Loads were: 65, 85, 95, 105, 115

WOD:
15-12-9 reps, for time, of:
Front squat (115#)
KB swing (1.5 pood)
Pullups

I did this one RX and managed to pull off the fastest time in the class. However, out of the three classes so far today (6, 7, and 8 am), I was NOT the fastest...there were even a few guys who did RX+ (135 squat and C2B) that were faster! Monsters!!

Sport #2
  • Stretching
  • 15m

I did ALOT of stretching and mobility stuff today...my arms were WRECKED yesterday and my shoulders were like rocks this morning. I had to almost completely stretch out my arms just to do PVC pipe pass-overs today. NO flexibility. UGH. But I managed to work out some of the tightness and get looser before we started the WOD.

Q's Training Log

May 2013 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
    1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31 

Volume

Time
Distance

Upcoming races