2014 Happy Trails

Saturday - January 4

Run
  • 2h 17m
  • 13.00 miles
  • 10m 32s /Mi

Hills of Delafield to Ice Age trail to 18 and then to Evergreen parking and then back

Perfect day on the trail. Warm temps (about 30) with moderate snow. Really perfect conditions with trail packed but not too slippery . Speaking of slippery, I did fall (literally right on my face) right after I passed a guy smoking a cigar on the trail.

Friday - January 3

Run
  • 33m 07s
  • 4.20 miles
  • 07m 53s /Mi

Pettit Pretty steady effort
Laps: 2:26, 2:19, 2:12, 2:11, 2:12, 2:13, 2:13, 2:13, 2:14, 2:17, 2:16, 2:04, 2:07, 2:05 & 1:59

Decided to run at Pettit tonight. Not because I couldn't stand the cold (that will be next week), but because I want to balance my snowy/trail runs with some faster sessions where I can work on solid form. As I have said before, not a speed session per se, just something to pick up a pace a bit.

Thursday - January 2

Wednesday - January 1

Run
  • 1h 47m 23s
  • 10.20 miles
  • 10m 31s /Mi

Ice age trail to hwy 18, then another trip from Evergreen parking to tower and back down

Started the year, pretty much the way I ended it, with a nice trail run on Ice age in the gentle falling snow. Just saw a few other runners. When I started out I didn't quite break the trail, but not a lot of other tracks.

Tuesday - December 31

Run
  • 57m 52s
  • 6.00 miles
  • 09m 38s /Mi

Ice Age trail though Lapham peak to Boy's school road. Negative split! Trail was packed down, but not too icy. Almost easier to navigate than in the summer.

Ended the year with a trail run through Lapham Peak in the gentle snow. The way it should be, as this was certainly the year of the trail. Really happy that my love of the trails blossomed this year. This was also the year that my triathlon 'career' really came to an end. That's not to say I intend to never do another multisport event, however it will never be my focus again and will only throw one in to mix it up a little...maybe even next year. Had three goals this year: farther, faster and stronger. Farther (Goofy's challenge and 50k, plus a marathon) was accomplished with flying colors. Faster and stronger were not. Only PRed one distance (10k) and that was pretty much a gimmie. Truth be told is that I spent very little time doing speed work. I would like that to change for next year. Speed will not be the focus, but it needs to part of the plan. Strength was a BIG disappointment. Did squat (and not the good kind) to work on this goal. All the hills helped make my lower body stronger (but not when it mattered with Haunted Hustle), but my upper body has gotten weaker (especially with no swimming). That HAS to change. I can not deny any longer that I am getting older and doing some strength is essential for the coming year.
With another PR for total miles ran, and my growing fondness for the trails, it was overall a good year, but plenty to work on and reach for next year.

Monday - December 30

Run
  • 37m 08s
  • 4.00 miles
  • 09m 16s /Mi

Thought about running at Pettit, but decided to tough it out and run outside. About 3 degrees with light snow, but I dressed plenty warm and was pretty comfortable. Eye brows and eye lashes got frosty but that was it.

Sunday - December 29

decided to rest

jmwebs' Training Log

January 2014 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
    1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31 

Volume

Time