Sunday - August 31

Bike
  • 1h 21m 52s
  • 11.79 miles
  • 8.64 Mi/hr

75 degrees 83% humidity 11 mph wind
Manorville Hills - 1 loop
8.6 avg speed 18.6 max speed

How do I feel today? I'm tired and sore this morning from yesterday's hammerfest with Bobby and Wynn. I got to sleep in a little but my dog Luna had me up by 7:30 am this morning. I'm heading out for a 10 am MTN bike ride with the DQ gang this morning. I didn't go for the 8 am swim but I am definitely going to get my first MTN bike ride of this season in. Last time I went was on New Year's Day and I miss it a lot. I took care of the MTN bike yesterday. I cleaned it up, got the chain oiled and fixed the rear tire. It kept going flat I figured there had to be a thorn in the tire somewhere and sure enough that is exactly what I found. So Isis is ready to roll and we are hitting the trails this morning. Not sure how much legs I'll have as it's usually a grind but I'm sure I'll find a way to get through it.

Great ride today at Manorville Hills. I rode with Wynn, Bobby, Derrick and Jillian. It was Jillian's first MTN bike ride and she killed it today. The girl did awesome, she will be riding by me in no time and will be giving the rest of the gang a run for their money soon. I did well I PR'd the loop with a 1:21 so great ride for me with the carry over IM fitness. One very scary moment when Derrick looked like he hit a stump and went sidewards into a tree. Thank goodness he was alright as well as his bike. He did rip his DeSoto bike shorts though and they are not cheap. It looked worse than what it turned out be as he hit hard and I was right behind him when it happened. Thankfully no damage done. Outside of that we had fun and it was great to be back on the trails again. i can't believe how much I missed MTN biking.

• Calories out: 2904 From lifestyle:2535, From activities:368
  • Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 2 Hours slept: 8.5 Overall Workout: 4

Saturday - August 30

Bike
  • 2h 00m
  • 35.00 miles
  • 17.50 Mi/hr

64 degrees 87% humidity 3 mph wind
Iron Pier Beach out and back

No ride data Garmin 910XT froze and I couldn't reset it.

How do I feel today? I'm tired this morning but have been just about every morning the last few weeks. I thought about going back to bed but I got up early because I have a scheduled ride with Wynn and Bobby this morning and I really do want to get out there and ride today. It's going to be a nice day and I need stay active and take advantage of the nice weather while we have it. So I'm early this morning to ride, should be a good one today.

Great ride today with Wynn and Bobby. It turned into a total hammerfest and what's funny was we all discussed this during the ride and yet we still wound up hammering. Man I had to push hard the entire ride just to keep up with those guys. I'm not complaining it was a great workout for me and we did have fun. We sort of did an out and back to Iron Pier beach. The weather was pretty awesome too. It was a windy on the way back though definitely tough going on Riley Ave and on Edwards Ave. I felt like I wasn't going any where and I was definitely pushing hard. Overall a great ride, no pressure, no goals just riding because we can.

My Garmin 910XT froze up before the ride and I could not reset it so I didn't get any data. I wound up riding "naked" so to speak. That was a little disappointing as I'd love to see the data from this ride. I factory reset it this afternoon. It's been giving me problems lately and the power button works when it wants to. I'm probably gonna have to exchange it.

• Calories out: 4107 From lifestyle:2496, From activities:1610
  • Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 2 Hours slept: 8.5 Overall Workout: 4

Friday - August 29

Run
  • 43m 50s
  • 4.08 miles
  • 10m 44s /Mi

73 degrees 46% humidity 8 mph wind
1 extended hood loop

How do I feel today? Not bad pretty much the same as I've felt all week. I seem to be very tired in the morning and I start coming around as the day progresses. Last year it was probably the same but I would crash in the early afternoon. I'm guessing I'm in much better condition this year and I've been through it once before so my recovery is coming along nicely. I've not been pushing myself at all and am on the fence about doing any more triathlons for this season. I've accomplished what goal I set for myself this year so I'm not going to push myself to anything just for the sake of doing something. The plan for today is to try and get a run in. I've only run once this past Sunday at the sprint. I'm looking at 50 to 60 minutes if I'm feeling it. If not 30 to 45 minutes should do. It's nice and cool today perfect for a run.

I got a run in this afternoon, a little over 4 miles in 43 minutes. Typical of what I experienced last year. Pretty sluggish and it was a pretty slow run but I expected this. Running was the last thing to sort of come around for me. It seemed to take a long time. It wasn't bad run but I don't see myself getting back to normal for another week at least. The swim and bike seem fine. I'll really see about the bike tomorrow as I'm going to do 2 plus hours and maybe 40ish miles. So far the swim has been fine for me.

• Calories out: 3037 From lifestyle:2547, From activities:490
  • Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 2 Hours slept: 8 Overall Workout: 3

Thursday - August 28

Swim
  • 41m 51s
  • 1818.56 meters
  • 02m 18s /100 meters

80 degrees 36% humidity 19 mph wind
Wildwood lake - 1 long out and back

How do I feel today? Same as I've been all week, really tired when I get up in the morning but overall not feeling bad physically. I'm getting 8 hours of sleep and I've taken it pretty easy this week. I will ease back into more training next week. For this week I am planning a swim for tonight, short run for Friday, long bike Sat probably 3 hours or so and then probably another short run for Sunday.

At this point I've not committed to any races other then the NYC Marathon and the Manorville hills trail run in Nov so I'm not gonna kill myself. Even if I do race it looks like I'd do a Oly in Sept and a Sprint in Oct. I'm not going overboard with training for those and those race would purely be for fun. I don't really care how place if I decide to do them. Still haven't decided yet. We'll see.

I did book my ticket on the Runner's Edge bus for the NYC marathon so at least I know what I am doing. It will take me to SI and pick me up at the finish so my ride is taken care of. I will probably get a hotel room in Nassau close to that so I don't have to get up early to drive out to Farmingdale. Should be good I know a lot of people on the bus.

A really nice swim this evening with Wynn, Teresa and Joanne. We saw Mike I. and Stephanie coming in as we were waiting for Joanne. We wound up hanging out and talking to them for a a little bit before we started. Heading out was nice, I actually felt fast lol. I got over there in under 19 minutes which is fast for me. We got a nice push however the way back was slow and it was choppy. We were going against the wind and there was a bit of a push back or current to go against. I was clearly slower and I think it was like 23 minutes back. Plus I we stayed to the left and I did not get back to the middle and wound up getting into the shallows there and got beached like the Exxon Valdez lol. I literally had to walk out to a deeper part of the lake to get going again. All in all a very nice swim, no goals and no pressure just out swimming.

• Calories out: 2923 From lifestyle:2549, From activities:374
  • Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 2 Hours slept: 8.25 Overall Workout: 3

Wednesday - August 27

How do I feel today? Man I was very tired this morning. I slept great but could've slept for several more hours had I had the opportunity to do so. So much for that faster recovery. I guess it's to be expected. I feel pretty good though considering much better than the last time around. It's supposed to be hot today so I may not really do anything today. There is a slight possibility that I may do a short run but if it's hot out I'll probably pass and either bike or run tomorrow. We'll see, I'm giving myself a few weeks to recover before I start jumping back into my training. I'll mainly be focused on the NYC marathon but I may do a few tri's in Sept and Oct. In either case I want to keep the fitness level that I've attained.

Didn't run this evening, it was warm out but not that bad there was a pretty nice breeze but I decided to walk Luna. She didn't want to go very far so we headed back to the yard and just hung out for an hour. I enjoyed a Firestone beer while sitting out in the yard with Luna. Not much else going this evening. Taking advantage of my post Ironman recovery today.

• Calories out: 2570 From lifestyle:2570, From activities:0
  • Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 2 Hours slept: 8.5

Tuesday - August 26

Bike
  • 1h 07m 26s
  • 19.37 miles
  • 17.23 Mi/hr

78 degrees 56% humidity 10 mph wind
2 hood loops -Narrows Bay
17.2 avg speed 23.7 max speed
76 avg cadence 103 max cadence
Normalized Power - 144

How do I feel today? Not bad a little tired this morning but feeling pretty good. I'm sure I'll be nodding off this afternoon while working. It's supposed to be pretty hot out today but I plan to get an easy local bike ride in around the neighborhood this evening. I'll do an hour or so this evening depending on how I feel. I'll probably just swim and bike this week and see how I feel towards the end of the week before I really start running. I'll be keeping the runs short for now.

I felt really good today. I didn't have the sleepy early afternoon feeling that I had experience for several weeks after my first IM. Maybe my recovery is going better than I thought it would. I'm probably in better shape then I was last time around plus another year of training has helped. In any case I'm not pushing it. I did get a very solid short bike ride in this evening just short of 20 miles and a little over an hour. Not bad considering it's in the neighborhood and I can't hammer like I do on the main roads but I rode hard and got a decent workout in this evening.

Tomorrow is either an off day or I may attempt a short run. We'll see how I feel and what the weather is like tomorrow. I heard chance of rain in the afternoon.

• Calories out: 3446 From lifestyle:2538, From activities:907
  • Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 2 Hours slept: 8

strikyr's Training Log

September 2014 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30    

Volume

Time