• 17.19 Mi/hr

Bike leg of Syracuse 70.3

Run
  • 2h 34m 25s
  • 13.10 miles
  • 11m 47s /Mi

Run leg of Syracuse 70.3

77 days until IMWI

Ok no how do I feel today it's way too late for that anyway. Today was Syracuse 70.3 my first WTC Ironman branded event. It was tough today, it was hot and humid and at the finish it was pouring rain in a thunderstorm. I have no luck with the weather when it comes to triathlon. In any case this was bascially a training run for IM Wisconsin and it was a good match for the bike leg which I did great on. The swim not so much, still work to do there. The run was brutal with the heat, humidity, rain and the hills there was carnage all over the course. I did the best I could there I knew it was going to be very tough after the bike. All in all I did great in my opinion for only my second HIM with tough weather conditions on a challenging course.

So I see where I need to improve (swim), I also see where I have improved (bike, mental toughness and overall fitness) and I learned a few valuable lessons today:

Lesson 1 - Drink and eat more on the bike. This could have factored into my run not as much as the weather but it probably did. I would have still walked but I think I could have been running more even if the pace was slower. My friend Bobby even warned me about this one too yesterday. I'm an idiot for not following through on that advice. Lessoned learned.

Lesson 2 - Hammer the downhills more. I think I coasted a little too much out there today. I'm very happy with how I performed on the bike but really I could have gone a little harder in those spots and I could have eased up in others. I'm still learning. I also need to get better cornering and taking the ascents with more confidence. That comes with experience.

Lesson 3 - Keep believing in yourself. I think I had some doubts when I saw the bike course yesterday. I also was unsure about the swim. But this was the first race where I was not nervous. I had my best swim start this season I was not shaking like a leaf before the start and the bike course was not as bad as it seemed when I got out there. I gotta stop doubting myself and trust in what I know I can do.

• Calories out: 7006 From lifestyle:2339, From activities:4667
  • Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Hours slept: 7 Overall Workout: 4

Saturday - June 22

78 days until IMWI

How do I feel today? I'm a little tired this morning but not too bad. I have one more night to get some decent sleep before race day. Syracuse here I come! I'll be leaving out very shortly for me journey up there this morning. It's about a 5 to 6 hour ride so no workouts today. I'm hoping to get there and get checked in for the race and the hotel. I would like to drive the bike course as well and if I can drive the run course I will do that too.

Made it to Syracuse it is freakin hot and humid can you believe that? What the hell? Summer decided to show up here this weekend. I got to met JoAnne and her husband and drive the bike course with them. My legs hurt sitting in the car driving it! It's gonna be a lot of climbing tomorrow, definitely challenging. I just need to remember to race smart tomorrow, don't race anyone, stay within myself and drink and eat early and often. We'll see how it goes.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Hours slept: 8

Friday - June 21

Swim
  • 53m 27s
  • 2000.00 meters
  • -----

Indoor Pool
Easy 2000m continuous swim

79 days until IMWI

How do I feel today? I'm tired this morning but still have two days I and if I can get a decent night of sleep each day I will be ready to rock n roll at Syracuse this weekend. I have a lot to do today but I am planning to get an hour of easy swimming in this morning and then take care of all the stuff I need to so I am ready to roll up to Syracuse early tomorrow morning.

I had a lot to do today but I did get an easy 2000m swim in at the pool. I'm tired I need to get a good night of sleep and leave early I have a long drive up to Syracuse. I want to get there and get checked in for the race and then drive the bike course in the afternoon so I know exactly what I am getting into on Sunday. Other than that I'll make sure I meet up with JoAnne as soon as I can when I get there and I need to get to bed early. Sunday is going to be a long day.

• Calories out: 3028 From lifestyle:2548, From activities:480
  • Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 2 Hours slept: 8 Overall Workout: 3

Thursday - June 20

Bike
  • 1h 08m
  • 19.41 miles
  • 17.13 Mi/hr

71 degrees 57% humidity 13 mph wind
17.1 avg speed 24.4 max speed
83 avg cadence 109 max cadence

Run
  • 59m 20s
  • 5.65 miles
  • 10m 30s /Mi
80 days until IMWI

How do I feel today? Holy cow only 80 more days until IMWI. I can't believe it time is flying by and I have soooooo much work to do to get ready for it. Reality check for sure, in any case I am feeling better today and the extra sleep is helping. I'm still a little tired but I think I'll be good for Sunday's race in Syracuse. Today I will do a bike/run brick this evening. An hour or so for each. I'm thinking 20 or so on the bike and then 6 to 7 mile run.

I got my bike/run brick workout completed this evening and I am tired as all hell. I did alright on the bike and didn't go all out but gave it a good effort. For the run I went out to fast and paid for it. After the first two miles I was really starting to struggle and I knew I was not going to be able to do 6 or 7 miles tonight. I was just too tired so I tried to get close to an hour and I fell 40 seconds short of that. In any case it was better to cut short then to suffer through another mile or so with the race coming up this weekend.

Tomorrow I will just do an easy hour of swimming and that's it. If I'm not ready for Syracuse I'll never be ready. Only thing to do is get as much rest as I can from here on out until Sunday.

• Calories out: 4069 From lifestyle:2492, From activities:1577
  • Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 2 Hours slept: 8.5 Overall Workout: 3

Wednesday - June 19

Bike
  • 1h 48m 38s
  • 32.05 miles
  • 17.70 Mi/hr

17.7 avg speed 24.9 max speed
84 avg cadence 106 max cadence

81 days until IMWI

How do I feel today? I'm still a little tired but I think the extra sleep has been helping. Again the plan is to get in a little earlier tonight as well as the rest of the week. Looks like I will be going solo to Syracuse, it is not a spectator friendly race and it would be a bit much for my wife with the dog being in the park all day or stuck at the hotel all. It doesn't make sense. My van is in the shop as well so I will either need to get my bike in my car or rent a car I can fit the bike in. I will know more later on today. As for training I will probably get out on the bike for two hours today.

Took the bike out for a spin today and got a pretty solid ride in this evening. I didn't feel like going out at all to be honest I was very tired this afternoon. I did get my butt moving and on the bike though and wound up getting a good ride in. I rode pretty hard tonight almost two hours and 32 miles. Not bad for today, probably do an hour on the bike tomorrow and then an hour run.

• Calories out: 3952 From lifestyle:2498, From activities:1454
  • Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Hours slept: 8.5 Overall Workout: 3

Tuesday - June 18

Swim
  • 1h 04m 50s
  • 2500.00 meters
  • -----

Indoor Pool
5x500
pb

Run
  • 1h 07m
  • 6.00 miles
  • 11m 10s /Mi
82 days until IMWI

How do I feel today? I'm very tired today but I did get a little more sleep last night. Today I am planning to swim in the afternoon and get a run in this evening. I will try to do a least an hour of each. I'm probably looking at 8 or 9 hours of training this week and then whatever I do for the HIM which I'm guessing will be at least 6 hours.

So I went for my swim this afternoon and I was the only one at the pool. That is the first time that ever happened to me. I felt weird to be honest swimming by myself and having the lifeguard out there watching me lol. He must have been bored watching me swim so slowly. I did get a halfway decent swim in today so I can't complain. I also swam a little harder then I was expecting to. I think I got caught up at the end trying to finish strong and probably over did it.

I ran on the treadmill this evening just did 6 miles a little over an hour and damn it was a struggle for the first two or three miles before I settled into the run. I must admit I have ben tired and felt that way on the t-mill tonight. I did get it done though and I almost fell. Note to self don't try and text and run on the treadmill bad things can happen.

Tomorrow I'll probably just get a few hours on the bike and hopefully no evening thundershowers.

• Calories out: 3866 From lifestyle:2520, From activities:1346
  • Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 2 Overall Workout: 3

Monday - June 17

83 days until IMWI

How do I feel today? I'm very tired this morning. I think the past week and the lack of sleep has caught up with me. I will try to swim today if I can but I won't feel bad if I take a day off today.

I was going to swim this afternoon but I was soooooooo tired around 3 pm I just said forget it and I bagged my swim. I'm just too tired today to do anything. I'll just catch up on what I need to do and take Luna for a long walk and enjoy the day off. I will run and swim tomorrow.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 2 Hours slept: 8

strikyr's Training Log

June 2013 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Volume

Time
Distance

Upcoming races