Sunday - September 8

Swim
  • 2h 04m 41s
  • 3862.40 meters
  • 03m 14s /100 meters

63 degrees 87% humidity 12 mph wind

IMWI Lake Monona - conditions were very windy and rough. My Garmin has my swim at 2.78 miles! Holy cow I was all over the place.

Bike
  • 7h 11m 25s
  • 112.00 miles
  • 15.58 Mi/hr

67 degrees 81% humidity 10 mph wind

IMWI bike - 4 long stops - dropped my chain twice, bathroom break, special needs bag for nutrition replenishment, broken shifter repair.

Bike Computer Stats
Actual ride time 6:59:25 Distance 111.89
Avg Speed 16.0 Max Speed 36.3
Avg Cadence 80 Max Cadence 113

Run
  • 5h 09m 51s
  • 26.20 miles
  • 11m 49s /Mi

71 degrees 78% humidity 14 mph wind

IMWI run

Race Day Ironman Wisconsin!

How do I feel today? I have so many mixed emotions right now I don't know what to say. The day I have been waiting for a year has finally arrived and I am 3 hours from the biggest race day in my life.

Regardless of what happens today I know I've done everything I believe I could have to get ready to be here.

I will leave it all out there today and race the race of my life. I'll conquer any fears and doubts that I have about doing this.

This day is going to be mine!

I'm ready, I can do this!

I can become an Ironman today!

Time to make the dream the reality.

Good luck and Godspeed to all the athletes participating today. May they also all fulfill their dreams and have a safe and great race.

Mission accomplished, I'm an Ironman! 14:55:45

• Calories out: 11102 From lifestyle:2030, From activities:9072
  • Health data: Sleep: 2 Stress: 2 Soreness: 5 Fatigue: 3 Hours slept: 6.5

Saturday - September 7

1 day until IMWI

How do I feel today? I'm tired but I got a decent night of sleep last night. Today I will go and drop off the transition bags and the bike at Monona Terrace. I won't be doing much today. I am also hoping to see JoAnne and finally meet Brenda today as well. I want to see them before the race and make sure I don't miss them.

Dropped my stuff off came back to the hotel and ate then spent the day just hanging out. I did meet Brenda and JoAnne this evening. It was great to meet and see them both. I'm so happy that they are here and will be out there volunteering and supporting me.

It's all done now. All I can do is try and pass these last few hours and hope for a decent night of sleep. I am thinking that is going to be a tough thing to do tonight.

• Health data: Sleep: 2 Stress: 2 Soreness: 5 Fatigue: 3 Hours slept: 7

Friday - September 6

Bike
  • 30m 26s
  • 8.22 miles
  • 16.21 Mi/hr

16.2 avg speed 21.7 max speed
84 avg cadence 99 max cadence

Run
  • 30m 11s
  • 2.66 miles
  • 11m 20s /Mi
2 days until IMWI

How do I feel today? I'm tired this morning but slept a little longer today. I am so nervous now about doing this. Holy cow I can't believe it. Today I am going to do a short bike and run to make sure everything is cool with the bike. I will head over to Monona Terrace and do the 2 pm athlete briefing and then I plan to drive the bike course. I need to do the bike course for sure. I got most of my stuff ready so the transition bags and special needs bags get finalized tonight. I will triple check them tomorrow before I drop them off with the bike.

I went to Monona Terrace for the athlete briefing and I could not park there it was full. Damn, I instead drove the bike course. It is challenging to say the least, lot's of turns and curves plenty of hills, there will be plenty of climbing and fast descents on this course. I will need to be careful there are some tricky spots but I'm hoping all the riding I've done this year will help me through it.

I did get a short 30 minute bike and 30 minute 30 in today. It was the first workout this week. I've not had a chance to do anything so it was good to do a little something. Well here we go getting down to the wire now. I need to finish off my transition bags tonight so I can drop them off with the bike tomorrow.

• Calories out: 3310 From lifestyle:2557, From activities:752
  • Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 1 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 2 Hours slept: 7.5 Overall Workout: 3

Thursday - September 5

3 days until IMWI

How do I feel today? I'm very tired the driving out here over plus the lack of sleep has taken it's toll on me. I need to get some sleep the next few days even if I have to do a few afternoon naps. I want to be well rested for Sunday since it is gonna be a really long day.

The plan today is to do a little shopping with my wife and pick a few things we did not take and need. I also want to do the athelte check in today and get it out of the way. I need to work on my transition and special needs bags as well.

I want to go and drive the bike course this afternoon. I need to see what I've seen a thousand times on the simply stu video, the infamous Wisconsin IM Bike course where IM dreams come to die. I'll be scoping it out very carefully and I will not let the bike course do me in on Sunday. I've worked so hard to improve my biking this year just for this day. I have to conquer this course on Sunday. Other than that I just want to keep my mind busy and my body rested.

I may try and get a short run or bike in this evening since I've not done anything since Sunday other than packing and driving for the trip.

I need to get a scale as well I forgot to bring mine and I hate not knowing what my weight is.

Ok I went to the athlete check in and my I was freakin nervous as all hell. What made it worse was Lake Monona was very choppy and it was windy out there today. It scared the hell out of me thinking about having to swim in those conditions. It could happen. I told the lady who was doing swim cap that the lake did not look happy today. I got through the assembly line process and am all set. I wanted to drive the bike course but did not get the chance too busy.

Tonight I will put my transition bags together. Tomorrow short bike and run to make sure the bike is ok. I will try and do the EN presentation on racing IMWI then I need to go to the athlete briefing. I will need to drive the bike course tomorrow as well. We'll see how all this goes. I wish I had another day.

Oh they weighted me in and I'm at 167. Not bad considering no workouts and on the road for two days not eating great.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 2 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 2 Hours slept: 7

Wednesday - September 4

4 days to IMWI

How do I feel today? I'm very tired this morning. We did not get to Ohio until like 1 am this morning. We left NY after 2 pm and we had to make a number of stops especially with the dog. Luna has been really good on this trip so no complaints although she could've slept later this morning. For me 5 hours of slept ain't gonna cut it.

We should be in Madison this evening so I'll get to bed early tonight. Then tomorrow I'll do the athlete check in and find a place to take my bike to get my wheels swapped. I would also like to go drive the bike course and get some type of swim, bike or run in tomorrow and Friday. I need to do something over the next two days. Just easy stuff before Sunday.

Wisconsin here I come!

After two very long days of travel we finally made it to Madison! Yay! Wow, I never thought the day would actually come where I'd actually have to do it but that day is getting near now. I'm too tired to think about it at the moment I need to go to bed. I'm soooo tired.

• Health data: Sleep: 2 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 2 Hours slept: 5

Tuesday - September 3

5 days to IMWI

How do I feel this morning? I'm tired my dog doesn't believe in sleeping in when I am home so she woke up at 7 am today and of course woke me up. I stayed in there until 7:30 am and got up and took Luna out and for a walk. The rest of the morning I have been packing and double checking all my gear. I think I am all set we have everything together and as soon as this thunderstorm passes we will get rolling. The destination is Ohio.

I took last look around my basement where a lot of my training took place over the last 4 years and it's hard not to get a little emotional knowing how hard I've worked down here to get to where I am today. I still can't believe I'm heading to Madison to do this. It's pretty freakin surreal. Two years ago the dream came to life and here I am on the verge of making it a reality.

The down time has really been messing with me but this morning as I lay in bed at abut 6:30 am a voice of reason seemed to speak out amongst all all the other voices in my head. For that short period of time everything I need to know and do for Sunday was clear in my mind.

I need to focus in on that voice in my head and not let fear or the seeds of doubt take hold. I'm ready, I know I can do this, it's time to start believing it.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 2 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Hours slept: 8

Monday - September 2

6 days to IMWI

How do I feel today? I'm tired my wonderful dog Luna decided she wanted out of the create at 6:30 am this morning. I'm thinking I might get a day to sleep in, nope Luna was having none of that. So I pulled myself out of bed at around 7:30 am and got up took Luna out and walked her. I feed her and she has been like my shadow this morning lol.

So busy day today, I have to pack my equipment, clean the bike, go food shopping, take Luna into Petco. She needs her nails clipped so she'll get washed and clipped there. I also need to make sure everything is in order before I leave for Madison, WI tomorrow.

I feel like I should be totally freaking out right now. Seriously I should be worried and scared of what's to come LOL. Actually I'm not which is somewhat surprising.

Oh, I'd like to get a quick 30 to 45 minute workout on the bike and a quick 30 minute run. I won't have the chance to do anything on Tuesday and Wednesday since I'll be travelling.

I didn't get any workout in today there was just too much to do to get ready to go. I was like a nervous wreck today worrying about getting everything done. I did pretty much do what I needed to do. The shopping is done my kids won't starve to death while we are gone lol, Luna got taken care of at Petco and I got my bike cleaned up and my gear packed. The bike is looking sexy lol. I need to triple check my gear again, I am so fearful of forgetting something it's not even funny.

Holy crap, I'm leaving tomorrow for Madison. It just seems so surreal now. Somebody remind me why I decided to do this again?

• Health data: Sleep: 2 Stress: 2 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Hours slept: 7.5

strikyr's Training Log

September 2013 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30     

Volume

Time
Distance