Monday - July 28

Sunday - July 27

Swim
  • 25m 50s
  • 1818.29 yards
  • 01m 25s /100 yards

Swim: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/551532536
T1: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/551532537

Well, this went wrong before I even arrived... because I arrived so late. I never made the mental note of what time Transition closes, so I never planned to be there before that. I ASSumed that with my later starting time that I'd have plenty of time in the morning.

As a result, I was unable to pre-clip my shoes, I wasn't able to zero & calibrate my power meter, and I was generally out of it with my pre-race routine. I nearly missed my swim start, and completely forgot to eat any gels before the beginning of the race... I finished the race with two 1x gels in my kit pocket.

The swim went well for the most part. I got out quick and settled quickly into a groove. I avoided all contact the whole way. There weren't many opportunities to get on someone's feet, so I ended up spending most of the time by myself. Sucked a little water a few times, and once it caused me to throw up in my mouth a bit. That was pretty nasty, but I didn't slow down for it. I took a line on the back side of the course that was almost certainly too wide, but it didn't seem to hurt me too badly. Came out of the water breathing a little hard, but feeling good.

Wetsuit and goggles came off easily enough. Ran into T1 at a good clip. It took me a few attempts to get the wetsuit stuffed into the bag, then I had to put my bike shoes on. The 35 seconds that I missed a podium spot by could have easily been made up here had I arrived on-time and gotten my shoes set. Helmet on and grabbed the bike... the bar on the rack was lower than my seat, so I had to drag the bike out at an angle while holding the bar up a bit... annoying, to say the least.

Bike
  • 1h 05m 16s
  • 24.15 miles
  • 22.20 Mi/hr

Bike: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/551532540
T2: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/551532544

Out on the bike, I ran and did a jump/flying mount, got clipped in and was off. I took a few seconds to get settled, then checked power numbers with the plan that I'd ride the start of it by power until the HR settled. Headed out of the park with power floating between 240-310 on average (I think I spiked above 400 a couple of times). After that, every few minutes I'd look at my HR, and it just never seemed to settle, and I was reluctant to soft pedal unti lit came down, so I just kinda went by feel and power, but the power also flaked out from time to time. Around the 35 minute mark, I began to feel the effort in my legs and I knew at that point that I had already likely overbiked, but at the same time I kept looking at the power numbers and falling back on what we talked about with my training and thought that I might be Ok. I hadn't done any work at this level for this duration, so I knew that - at the least - this was going to be part learning curve. There was one guy out there that I traded positions with a couple of times, and after a while I just decided to settle in behind him rather than push it to pass as that definitely would have continued to burn matches.

I've decided that I might want to re-think my hydration options as my Speedfil A2 seemed lacking, so I did most of my drinking directly from the behind-the-seat bottle I carried. I consumed only about 1 bottle of Gatorade, and it had me belching a LOT while out there. I came off the bike feeling ready to run, but not entirely fresh... the legs were tired at that point. Same old story of the hix flexors feeling abused and not wanting to work.

T2 moved quickly enough. I don't think that there is anything to note there.

Run
  • 53m 49s
  • 6.81 miles
  • 07m 54s /Mi

Run: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/551532545

The run - this just sucked. I came out with my HR right on target in upper Zn2 at 155. The legs felt tired, but not too terrible. That changed fairly rapidly. By mile 2 they just hurt and by mile 3 the thoughts of walking started to creep in. I kept using the tricks you taught me and never walked, but I was unable to push myself much beyond the 155-158 range. The few times I tried, I actually felt myself get a little dizzy. The side stitch was present, again... minor, but there. Generally, I just felt like garbage, but I couldn't really diagnose what it was the body needed. I took a shot from my gel flask with 5 miles left to go on the bike, and I had taken one shortly after starting it... so, around mile 2.5-3.0 I thought maybe I just needed calories and I took another shot from it. I don't think it did much except make me wish for something to wash it down with. After the 2nd aid station, I actually passed on all sports drink and went straight water as it is just what the body seemed to want.

In looking back, I don't know if I need to learn to suffer more, or if I need to control that bike better, or both, or what..... but, I was able to pull out a fairly decent kick for the last 2-1/2 minutes. While I was out there, though, I swear I couldn't have gone any harder without blowing up or puking or passing out on the course. Maybe I just did a terrible job of keeping cool? I noticed after the race was over that my shoes were soaked, but I didn't recall sweating all that much, but perhaps I was just really, really hot? I don't know.

• Calories out: 5245 From lifestyle:2739, From activities:2507

Saturday - July 26

Swim
  • 06m 44s
  • -----
  • -----

Just a quick OWS; pre-race stuff to get acclimated to the water and get the arms used to turning over.

• Calories out: 2908 From lifestyle:2841, From activities:67

Friday - July 25

Thanks, Ferris!   I believe that I shall enjoy another OFF Day this week (soooo weird to have two scheduled Off Days)!!

• Calories out: 2908 From lifestyle:2908, From activities:0

cgregg's Training Log

July 2014 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
   1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31  

Volume

Time
Distance

Upcoming races

• Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon (Triathlon)
    10/25/2014 Wilmington, North Carolina

Totals

• July's totals
  • June's totals
  • 2014 totals
  • 2013 totals