Friday - July 25

Thanks, Ferris!   I believe that I shall enjoy another OFF Day this week (soooo weird to have two scheduled Off Days)!!

• Calories out: 2908 From lifestyle:2908, From activities:0

Thursday - July 24

Bike
  • 1h 00m 12s
  • 18.23 miles
  • 18.17 Mi/hr

Start in Zn1 and, if you feel good, build into Zn2 towards the finish.

This felt really good, and I think I like the new power numbers, and I think that they seem to coincide with the speeds I'm seeing on the trainer.

The race will tell me more, but I think the numbers are legit.

Stayed in Zn1 for most of this, but moved up into Zn2 with about 15 minutes remaining, and then let it creep into Zn3 the last 2-3 minutes. It just felt good. These last several rides, I've been trying to get my average cadence up as I used to average around 82, but had dropped below 80 for a few rides, so now I'm back to targetting 85-90.

Run
  • 22m 44s
  • 2.54 miles
  • 08m 57s /Mi

Start the run in ZnR and build into Zn1 if, and only if, you are feeling good.

Super easy run! Just cruised along enjoying the cooler weather and the relaxing pace. I only picked it up in the last half mile because I really needed to poop.

Swim
  • 16m 59s
  • 1100.00 yards
  • 01m 32s /100 yards

WU: 400 Zn1 swim
MS: 6 x 50 All Out on 2:00
CD: 400 ZnR Pull

This hurt, but it was kinda fun to see how hard I could push myself. I wanted a 33 second interval, but I just missed it :)

Still, seeing even one of them intervals get under a 1:10 pace is good enough for me. I kinda faded on the last one. I didn't finish strong; instead I kinda cruised in at the end.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/548584697

• Calories out: 4288 From lifestyle:2832, From activities:1456

Wednesday - July 23

Bike
  • 45m 50s
  • 12.19 miles
  • 15.96 Mi/hr

45 minute ZnR

Just another spin, still enjoying the recovery time :)

Run
  • 30m 23s
  • 4.11 miles
  • 07m 23s /Mi

Start Zn1, push into Zn2 if you feel comfortable.

Ok, this was just kinda fun.
Started quickly in Zn1, and at about mile 1.5 I had to speed up to cross a street. Shortly afterward, I glanced down and saw that I had crept up into Zn2 and just decided to stay there. Finished the run in Zn2 and felt like I could do another 4 miles like that, easy-peasy.

Swim
  • 28m 18s
  • 1600.00 yards
  • 01m 46s /100 yards

2 x 800 swim Zn1 on 1:00 rest

I seriously felt slow as heck during this. It felt like I was swimming uphill, against a current.

Arms felt some fatigue fairly quick, it seemed like it'd been forever since I'd been in the water.

In general.... I trudged my way through this, hehe. Not sure what was up, but this wasn't smooth, easy, sailing like I figured it would be.

• Calories out: 4381 From lifestyle:2829, From activities:1552

Tuesday - July 22

Bike
  • 40m 01s
  • 10.74 miles
  • 16.10 Mi/hr

Workout: Start in ZnR and progress into Zn1 IF and only IF I feel up to it.

Super easy. Nothing to gain by pushing it up into Zn1 today, so I kept it low & slow.

Run
  • 21m 11s
  • 2.28 miles
  • 09m 17s /Mi

20 min ZnR TRUN

Nice & easy. Just enjoying letting the body recover :)

• Calories out: 3762 From lifestyle:2861, From activities:900

Monday - July 21

REST DAY!!!!!

And I said, I don't care if they lay me off either, because I told, I told Bill that if they move my desk one more time, then, then I'm, I'm quitting, I'm going to quit. And, and I told Don too, because they've moved my desk four times already this year, and I used to be over by the window, and I could see the squirrels, and they were married, but then, they switched from the Swingline to the Boston stapler, but I kept my Swingline stapler because it didn't bind up as much, and I kept the staples for the Swingline stapler and it's not okay because if they take my stapler then I'll set the building on fire...

• Calories out: 2908 From lifestyle:2908, From activities:0

Sunday - July 20

Bike
  • 1h 31m 43s
  • 21.87 miles
  • 14.31 Mi/hr

1:30:00 ZnR ride

Super easy, not much to this except just putting in the time in the saddle.

Run
  • 35m 37s
  • 3.73 miles
  • 09m 33s /Mi

35 min ZnR TRUN

Again, just keeping it easy.

Stomach felt a little sloshy again on this run, but not bad.
Had the side stitch again, which is weird... almost has me wondering if it might be a slightly pulled muscle or something, because it seems odd that it'd be fitness/breathing related. Yesterday I could understand, but today was so easy that it shouldn't have happened.

Odd.

• Calories out: 4463 From lifestyle:2811, From activities:1652

Saturday - July 19

Bike
  • 4h 00m 23s
  • 63.78 miles
  • 15.92 Mi/hr

Warm up: 90 min Zn1
Main Set: 1 x 30min Zn3 with 10min ZnR rest
Cool Down: Zn1 (by feel) until final time

Hah, this was freaking rough, yet not so bad... oddly. There was about a one hour stretch in there after the 1x30 that was pretty miserable, but then things actually go better and it wasn't too bad finishing except that the sit bones started to get a little uncomfortable after that long on the trainer. I just kept moving around on the seat and using your tip to get out of the saddle for a bit every so often and worked my way through it.

So - the power numbers... I don't know what to make of them. I updated the firmware on the pedals before this ride, and part of the process is specifying crank length. I set it to 175 like is stamped on the inside of the crank arms and continued on. I calibrated the pedals before starting like I always do, checked tire inflation, etc.... and I start riding and I'm seeing power numbers WAY above what I've been seeing.

All I can think of is that either I still need to re-calibrate again, or perhaps the pedals had been configured with the wrong crank arm length all along (or perhaps I just read the wrong number and now have it wrong?). I don't know. I like these numbers, I'm just not sure if I get to keep them. I'm betting I don't.

I stayed hydrated fairly well. Took a store stop at 2:10 (I waited until after the ZnR set after the 1x30) to refill bottles, and took another short break about 30 minute after that just to stretch the quads briefly. I took two gels before the start and one every 40 minutes.

Overall, I think the ride went very well, but something with my fueling needed to be different. My stomach was kinda empty and got kinda sloshy on the run.

1x30
HR: 145
Avg Pwr: 284
NP: 285

Run
  • 50m 35s
  • 5.03 miles
  • 10m 04s /Mi

Start your TRUN within 10minutes of completing your bike.

1st 2 miles in Zn2
Rest of run in Zn1 by feel

This started out well, and despite a couple of hiccups and the fact that it was pouring rain, those first two miles went fairly nicely, but I developed a side stitch about 1.75 miles in, so when I hit two I walked to get the HR down into Zn1 instead of just slowing down. Unfortunately, the stitch never left me until I got home.

Only walked briefly, then set back into an easy jog that just kept getting slower, or so it seemed. Then the sloshiness really hit, and around mile 3.75 I started to feel dizzy and thought I was going to puke. I stopped running and walked and at mile 4 I turned back, walking home. Walked most of the way home, not even trying to jog again until the last quarter mile, which still felt like shit.

I don't know if it was a lack of solid food today (breakfast was pancakes, but that was several hours before the ride started), or all the Gatorade, or the gels... or all of it combined, or what, but it sucked.

• Calories out: 6360 From lifestyle:2687, From activities:3672

cgregg's Training Log

July 2014 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
   1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31  

Volume

Time
Distance

Upcoming races

• Challenge New Albany Olympic Triathlon (Triathlon)
    7/27/2014 New Albany, Ohio
  • Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon (Triathlon)
    10/25/2014 Wilmington, North Carolina

Totals

• July's totals
  • June's totals
  • 2014 totals
  • 2013 totals