Tuesday - September 30

Monday - September 29

Spent the day off doing honey do's. Got a lot done. It rained all day. Got wedding bands and booked our honeymoon to Punta Cana (Dec 10-16, hopefully that still doesn't mess up the marathon on the 28th, I'll have a treadmill). Ran all over the place but didn't actually get my run in. Getting up early to get my run in during the morning before a golf tournament I'm playing in at noon.

Sunday - September 28

Run
  • 1h 36m 47s
  • 12.12 miles
  • 07m 59s /Mi

uneventful; humid

Saturday - September 27

Run #1
  • 18m 45s
  • 3.20 miles
  • 05m 52s /Mi

Non-certified course (LONG). 16:31 won and he is usually around 16 flat. Wanted to, and should have, gone under 18. I hate short racing and the games that are played. (Have I mentioned that before?) Stuck with my pace for the first mile (sub 5:47) in a headwind. Groups got blown to hell from the get go and I found myself on the heels of the guy in my AG that I'm always with. He started sandbagging the second mile and I didn't want to take the lead. Heard my watch go off and saw 6:06 for the second mile and knew I could throw sub 18 out the window. At 2.25 I passed him and tried to hold him off. He stayed on my heels and I confirmed what I already knew, he was sandbagging. Lost a sprint finish, AGAIN!

Disappointed with my time I had one of the coolest interactions post race I've ever had. Normally guys I'm right behind or right in front of, that I don't know, will say something post race. Usually along the lines of nice race, with a "how the hell did you finish with me" connotation (one time I was almost flat out called a cheater). This time though a heavier set guy who wasn't running, his wife was, stopped me to talk to me. I get it, I don't look like a runner (and hardly consider myself one). He was genuinely interested on how I got started running. Turns out he's the same weight I was when I started. He sounded really interested in running, but let his macho "I need to be the fastest" mentality get in the way. I told him I couldn't remember my 5k time when I started. I do however remember my first race was a 10k and it took me almost an hour. Afterwards I couldn't walk for a week. It was the most painful and stupid thing I've done, but I wouldn't change it for anything. Hopefully after our conversation he realized you don't need to be 125 lbs to be a runner.

Sorry for the long write up. Seems like this took longer to write than the race took to run. Hope you're enjoying the honeymoon!

Run #2
  • 25m 56s
  • 3.12 miles
  • 08m 19s /Mi

Stretch out run once I got home. Nothing to see here

Friday - September 26

Run
  • 35m 29s
  • 4.28 miles
  • 08m 17s /Mi

Real easy

Thursday - September 25