• 5h 51m 41s
  • 26.00 miles
  • 13m 32s /Mi
Swim
  • 1h 24m 25s
  • 4224.00 yards
  • 02m /100 yards

Friday - October 9

Danette rented a GPS to track me during the Ironman tomorrow.

Web Browser and iPhone use: www.mapmyathlete.com/vemap.aspx?name=052311

For PDA/Blackberry/Palm use: www.mapmyathlete.com/pda.aspx?name=052311

Thanks for all of the well wishes.

I packed everything up and checked the bike in.  I almost left my running shoes at home.  Yeah--might need them.

Thursday - October 8

Run
  • 16m
  • 1.00 miles
  • 16m /Mi

Another great day in Kona.  I've been staying on Pacific time since I have been here--which means I'm waking up at 4:00 am.  It allows me to get my notes done.   After putzing for a couple of hours I ended up getting a phone call from Carrie at 7:20--she told me the underwear run was starting at 8:00.  I thought it was two.  I headed out like a bat out of he!! with Danette and the kids. 

I ended up getting there with about 10 minutes to spare.  It was amazing to see so many healthy people out there.   After taken the sacred Underwear Pledge we started to head out on the course. The race was a nice mile jaunt with massive hills (not) and world class pace (not).  Afterward we headed over to get tickets for the pre-race dinner and then a Scandinavian ice.  World class. 

After going home we caught up with Ron, Brent, Rose, Miles and Joel. We headed over to the Sheriton.  But decided that we wanted a white beach. We ended heading out north of the airport to a beach (I don't recall the name).  To get there we drove maybe a couple of mile on a road made out of lava and was super bumpy!  After lunch I went for a quick dip with Layton and Dennae.  During a walk later we saw a turtle playing in the surf (check for Dennae list). 

On the way back we picked up Aaron Smith at the Athlete's center and took the poor guy to our house to recover from his ride.  He and Carrie hammered the Ironman bike course all day. 

That evening we headed over to the Ironman prerace meal.  It was unbelievable.  It was like a Superbowl event.  They opened with a luaua like start complete with Hawaiian history, dancers and fire!  Then, they have the variety of pick-me up films and speakers.   It was a great pick-me up.  Finally, they wrapped up with the athlete's overview.  Good stuff.

Wednesday - October 7

Bike
  • 40m
  • 10.00 miles
  • 15.00 Mi/hr
Swim
  • 40m
  • 2000.00 yards
  • 02m /100 yards

Today I got up and swam with Aaron and Steve at about 7:30.  I ended up swimming maybe 2K. Another wonderful morning in Kona.   We swam out to the expresso catamaran about 750 yards into the course.  The swimmer just need to grab the side of the boat and you are given an espresso.  No really.  There is something about drinking coffee in the ocean that makes it taste extra good.  I wonder if it is the salt.

After I got home, the family and I decided to drive the bike course. We packed up the bike and headed out to Hawi.   About 9 miles out or so I biked the remaining hill out to Hawi--which is the longest hill on the course.    The hill itself is not that bad compared to what I have been training on.  However, wind was interesting.  The wind was pretty mild, but as large trucks went by on the otherside you'd get batted about pretty hard.

At Hawi I stopped by a local elementary school.  They had water and a poster (that I have a picture out on Facebook).  Afterwards we drove up a mountain range about 3.5K feet and reconnected back to the race course.   At the end I walked we went by the energy lab and walked

Facebook friend me up (Geoff Wieczynski) and tons of photos are out there.  Send me a PM or inspire and I'll make sure that I add you (I want to avoid spam).  I will get more photos out there in the next couple of days.

(Times/distances are estimates)

Tuesday - October 6

Swim
  • 30m
  • 1600.00 yards
  • 01m 53s /100 yards

Nice swim in the morning. I ended up swimming with a ton of people.  I got swam over about a half dozen times or so at the beginning.  It was good practice for later this week.  I had a first on a open water swim.  I ended up swallowing a ton of water during one of the waves that went down the wrong hole.  I ended up getting dry heaves. After about 45 seconds ended up swimming the rest of the course.

We had breakfast with the Chavezes and then picked up Aaron at the airport. Then, we head out to registration.  As we were leaving, we saw Chrissy Wellington--who what sitting through the same registration process.  

Rose and Miles were on the same flight as Aaron--getting bumped into a direct flight.  As Aaron's bike was getting delivered Ron and Brent showed up. Timing is everything.  I can't believe that I have so many people heading out to support during this adventure.

Afterwards Danette and I headed out to Costco.  It was easily half as expensive as the local store.  As we were heading back I saw an Endurance Nation bike jersey go by (lighting fast).  I shamelessly cheered the rider on.

Next, we picked up the kids from home and went to the duathlon.  Layton came in third place and Dennae came in second place for the girls.  They both did very well==but I thought Layton was sandbagging.   They both got a feel of what it is like to train in humidity! 

After that we watched the athletes parade--until the US came by. At that point Steve, Carrie, Madison and me joined the parade.  I had a bag of candy that I threw out to the kids on the route.  I have not been in a parade since high school.  It was super cheesey--but a ton of fun.  Good stuff.

We wandered around the athlete's expo and had a great time.   One of the trek engineers had built a carbon tri bike for his eight year old daughter.  Madison got her picture taken on the bike.   Later I got my picture on the bike.   I think I might need to get fit on the bike!  We headed out to Lulus for fish tacos.  Compared to earier in the week the service was super slow and it wasn't completely packed.

Monday - October 5

Run
  • 59m 22s
  • 6.86 miles
  • 08m 39s /Mi
Swim
  • 1h 00m
  • 3000.00 yards
  • 02m /100 yards

I am getting ready to go swim the course this morning.  It should be interesting--truth be told I'm a little nervous.  Race day tracking is up.  Here is the link.

http://ironman.com/events/ironman/worldchampionship?show=tracker&rid=261&year=2009&race=%2Fevents%2Fironman%2Fworldchampionship%2F&athlete=912

I hit the Ironman swim course at about 7:30 this morning. I was a little nervous as I started.  The good news is that I remembered how to swim.  It was like swimming in a aquarium.   I ended up swimming a little more than 1/2 of the course and I did screw around quite a bit.  At one point I was following the coral and fishes and had to be herded by kayaker.   Good Stuff.

We shopped around and hit the bike shop. Glen put some carbon paste on the bike and the griding sound stopped.   We had breakfast/lunch at Java Lava.  Another kona classic checked off.

wieczynski's Training Log

October 2009 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
     1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Volume

Time
Distance

Actual vs Planned