Sunny High 74FLow 54F
  • Temp: 71F
  • Hum: 45%
  • W: 0mph N
High 79F
Low 54F
High 79F
Low 59F
High 83F
Low 59F
High 77F
Low 54F
  • 40m
  • 10.00 miles
  • 15.00 Mi/hr
  • 40m
  • 2000.00 yards
  • 02m /100 yards

Today I got up and swam with Aaron and Steve at about 7:30.  I ended up swimming maybe 2K. Another wonderful morning in Kona.   We swam out to the expresso catamaran about 750 yards into the course.  The swimmer just need to grab the side of the boat and you are given an espresso.  No really.  There is something about drinking coffee in the ocean that makes it taste extra good.  I wonder if it is the salt.

After I got home, the family and I decided to drive the bike course. We packed up the bike and headed out to Hawi.   About 9 miles out or so I biked the remaining hill out to Hawi--which is the longest hill on the course.    The hill itself is not that bad compared to what I have been training on.  However, wind was interesting.  The wind was pretty mild, but as large trucks went by on the otherside you'd get batted about pretty hard.

At Hawi I stopped by a local elementary school.  They had water and a poster (that I have a picture out on Facebook).  Afterwards we drove up a mountain range about 3.5K feet and reconnected back to the race course.   At the end I walked we went by the energy lab and walked

Facebook friend me up (Geoff Wieczynski) and tons of photos are out there.  Send me a PM or inspire and I'll make sure that I add you (I want to avoid spam).  I will get more photos out there in the next couple of days.

(Times/distances are estimates)

  • 30m
  • 1600.00 yards
  • 01m 53s /100 yards

Nice swim in the morning. I ended up swimming with a ton of people.  I got swam over about a half dozen times or so at the beginning.  It was good practice for later this week.  I had a first on a open water swim.  I ended up swallowing a ton of water during one of the waves that went down the wrong hole.  I ended up getting dry heaves. After about 45 seconds ended up swimming the rest of the course.

We had breakfast with the Chavezes and then picked up Aaron at the airport. Then, we head out to registration.  As we were leaving, we saw Chrissy Wellington--who what sitting through the same registration process.  

Rose and Miles were on the same flight as Aaron--getting bumped into a direct flight.  As Aaron's bike was getting delivered Ron and Brent showed up. Timing is everything.  I can't believe that I have so many people heading out to support during this adventure.

Afterwards Danette and I headed out to Costco.  It was easily half as expensive as the local store.  As we were heading back I saw an Endurance Nation bike jersey go by (lighting fast).  I shamelessly cheered the rider on.

Next, we picked up the kids from home and went to the duathlon.  Layton came in third place and Dennae came in second place for the girls.  They both did very well==but I thought Layton was sandbagging.   They both got a feel of what it is like to train in humidity! 

After that we watched the athletes parade--until the US came by. At that point Steve, Carrie, Madison and me joined the parade.  I had a bag of candy that I threw out to the kids on the route.  I have not been in a parade since high school.  It was super cheesey--but a ton of fun.  Good stuff.

We wandered around the athlete's expo and had a great time.   One of the trek engineers had built a carbon tri bike for his eight year old daughter.  Madison got her picture taken on the bike.   Later I got my picture on the bike.   I think I might need to get fit on the bike!  We headed out to Lulus for fish tacos.  Compared to earier in the week the service was super slow and it wasn't completely packed.


  • 59m 22s
  • 6.86 miles
  • 08m 39s /Mi
  • 1h 00m
  • 3000.00 yards
  • 02m /100 yards

I am getting ready to go swim the course this morning.  It should be interesting--truth be told I'm a little nervous.  Race day tracking is up.  Here is the link.

 I hit the Ironman swim course at about 7:30 this morning. I was a little nervous as I started.  The good news is that I remembered how to swim.  It was like swimming in a aquarium.   I ended up swimming a little more than 1/2 of the course and I did screw around quite a bit.  At one point I was following the coral and fishes and had to be herded by kayaker.   Good Stuff.

We shopped around and hit the bike shop. Glen put some carbon paste on the bike and the griding sound stopped.   We had breakfast/lunch at Java Lava.  Another kona classic checked off.

  • 1h 00m
  • 1500.00 yards
  • 04m /100 yards
  • Kayaking
  • 2h 00m

I woke up and watched the sun rise from my balcony while updating BT for the last week. 

We met Shelly and Jerimy and headed out to Captain Cook's cove.  It was great.  We rented a three kayaks and took off to the monument which was about 1 1/2 mile or so.   About halfway there we came across a pod of dolphins.  I jump out of the kayak and swam with them.  14 of them swam under me, including two babies that were following with mom.  One looked like they were nursing. The kids jumped in, but the dophins for the most part scattered (thanks to a motor boat that chased them).  We headed to the monument and snorkled for quite a while. 

On the way back we saw another pod--but they were not playing like the previous one.  That was a first for me.

Tonight we went to a luaua (spelling -1).  We had great time.  Good for the kids.  I think I put back on all of the pounds l lost. The pork was wonderful.  I had three recovery Mai Tais over the course of the evening.  Last booze for a while.

  • 39m 54s
  • 10.35 miles
  • 15.56 Mi/hr

I got up really early--still on pacific time. We had a nice family breakfast and then I called Kelly at Anthony Travel at 8:00am. I was calm, polite and laid out the list of issues that we had with the the condo (Please read yesterday's post before continuing).  She was sympathic and said that they would make this right.  At 8:30 she was at our condo and agreed with our assessment.  By 10:00 she and Andrea met us at a new condo (a couple of miles away). They were concerned that the condo has not been cleaned (and would be cleaned before we move in).  As we entered the complex, I was already sold. 

The condo had three bedrooms and was easily three times larger than our old condo.  The master bedroom was larger than the old condo.  The kitchen has super nice.  Layton was sold because the location had wireless!   Dennae was sold because she didn't have share a room with her brother.  The lanais (balcony) overlooks the ocean and a lava rock beach. 

We went down to the swim start and and tooled around.  I bought John Stark a T-shirt in thanks for giving me a Forward Motion racing set.   We had lunch at the world famous LuLu's which overlook Ahlii drive and the finish line.  I had great fish tacos.  After moving into the condo, I set out for a quick bike ride.  The bike seat post is rubbing and making a noise. I stopped by a random store and had the mechanic look at the bike. He didn't have any carbon paste but told me to stop by tomorrow.  Turns out Glenn works at Cyclopath in Pleasanton and knows Aaron.  Good stuff and a small world.  He did not charge me. 

We made jamblia and eat on the lanais watching the sunset.  We were tired and I was in bed by 8.

  • Stretching
  • 10m

Day of travel to Kona.  The flight was uneventful. However, I do have to say that I did have a twinge in my heart as I saw them load my bike upside down onto the plane. They were not necessarily kind.  I would have preferred not to see my bike flopped around like a pillow in a pillow fight!  We were met at the airport by Anthony Travel (Andrea and Kelly) who met us at the airport with with layes (spelling -1).   

We got our car upgraded to an expedition.  It was great because the bike case fit in this thing perfectly! Then we drove to the condo.  After unloading our stuff we went to the store to buy food and supplies. 

So the condo....To say disappointed would be an understatement.  I knew this was a 1950's condo individually owned.  That meant that you were left to the owner for the quality....   Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.  We got in and the place had not been cleaned--probably for six months or more.  The light in the kids room did not work, the garbage disposal was leaking and had a bucket under it, furniture was dirty (in the style garage sale), toaster did not work, shower was broken (and would vibrate loudly when used), and most importantly the 16" TV's remote was broken.  Can you image walking across the dirty floor to change the channel.  Oh the humanity.

That wasn't bad--I could live with all of this.   The place was super dirty.  Shower had hair in the drain, cabinets were sticky and had mold (smelled like urine -- and not the urine when your well hydrated), most dishes had food caked on them, pots were dirty and rusty, kitchen towels were shop towels, balcony had rusty furniture with bird feathers and bird poop), the fridge had food on the side + the top was covered in dust--I mean BLACK.  Ok these were two long run on sentences.

My favorite was when Dennae tried to get a towel and a dead cockroach fell out upon her feet!  My ears are still ringing from scream.  Number two was the retaining wall had a sign that said, "Wall contains poison.  Please don't feed the rats."  I kid you not.

My mode was no matter what I was going to make this work.   And I would have.  Danette did not share my view. She broke out into tears.  She woke up at three am and was crying because after all of the pain and suffering that the Ironman was putting her through she knew she had a great vacation ahead of her.  She wanted me to call the travel agent at 4 am.  


  • 32m 17s
  • 3.82 miles
  • 08m 27s /Mi

Final run in California.  I ended up running at dusk and continued until it was too dark.  My training is done. Tomorrow I head out to Kona! 

I spent the evening packing.  Not fun, but it done.

wieczynski's Training Log

 October 2009 
     1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
  • April's totals
  • March's totals
  • 2017 totals
  • 2016 totals