Running With Snakes

Friday - August 16

A Prairie Rattlesnake from last night on the Center for Snake Conservation's research site in North Boulder. If you look closely you can see the transmitter backpack taped on it near the tail These transmitters stay on the snakes for a few weeks until it gets too wet and falls off or it is lost when the snake sheds. This technique has been used with success on other species of rattlesnakes and we are having great success with it with Prairie Rattlesnakes. This method allows us to follow a lot of snakes without the expense of surgery. 

I am at home with the boys today so no commute.  I actually took them to the office so I could get a few hours in and they behaved.  We then headed to Boulder to hit the bike shop, pet store, and order more CSC shirts.  Soon it will be time to coach soccer and get a little running in there.  :)

Happy Rattlesnake Friday!!!

Photos - They never lie which is why I take and post so many.  I love the way photos can document our lives and everything around us.  

A little peek into my transformation.  On March 19th, 2013 I weighed in at over 210lbs.  My heaviest I have seen on the scale was just over 212lbs earlier in March.  Today I weighed in at 193lbs.  I have lost 17lbs since that recorded weight in March and I have the photos to prove it.  Before photos were taken on March 18 and then I took more today.  Exciting to see the loss and I have another 15lbs to go. I need to hit the strength training hard in the next few months.

March 18, 2013:

August 16, 2013

Thursday - August 15

Run #1
  • 39m 38s
  • 4.30 miles
  • 09m 13s /Mi
Run #2
  • 43m 33s
  • 4.40 miles
  • 09m 54s /Mi
Sport
  • Hiking
  • 2h 30m

2.5 hour snake hike in the North Boulder Highlands. Only 1 rattlesnake found so it was a slow night.

Singletrack I got to run on the way home (no snakes Cry):

Okay - having a slow but okay day mentally.  Anxiety is high because I don't know what to do but the depression is not overwhelming.  I wish I knew how to make and keep a To Do list going.  I am just not good at them.  Anyone have any suggestions?  I think this skill would be great to counter my ADD and procrastination.  I did finally get the CSC Board Meeting invite sent out to the board - we are way over due for a meeting.

I think I will spend some time posting snake photos on the CSC Facebook page - if you want to see a bunch of snakes - head here to check them out:  https://www.facebook.com/#!/centerforsnakeconservation  If there is a snake you really want to see, send me an inspire with the species and I will get it posted.

Photo of the Flatirons before dawn this morning:

Wednesday - August 14

Run
  • 58m 15s
  • 6.60 miles
  • 08m 49s /Mi

GREAT RUN! In the beginning, my legs felt heavy and slow so my intent was to take it easy. I did take it easy and ran sub 9min/mile pace. I would never have guess that pace since I was taking it so easy! http://app.strava.com/activities/74694776

Sport #1
  • Commuter Cycling
  • 12m 38s

Morning commute

Sport #2
  • Commuter Cycling
  • 14m

Commute home.

1:25pm: After seeing all those beautiful people on my run including one man who has the body I had when I was 22 (lucky guy), I figure I need to step it up on the weight loss front.  I have been stagnent for over a month now with very little loss and that needs to change.  How?

• - strength training is a must.  I am so weak and untoned that it really shows.  I just don't have the lean muscle I used to.
  • - more intervals and hills during runs and bikes.  I have been keeping things on the flats with long and slow intervals if I do them.  Time for shorter intervals (100 - 400 meters) and hills (lots of hills!).
  •  -diet.  I was really good for a while of recording everything that I ate.  I have been watching quantity at dinner and not eating after dinner which has really helped but I really need to get back into recording foods.  I track my foods using LoseIt so if you also use LoseIt, please friend me so I know someone is watching.  :)  https://www.loseit.com/#Community:Profile!id=2530823

Now - this is a lot to do all at once so I need to slowly get these habits back into my day.  I will check in daily with my three goals to help with weight loss to document when and where I can't get it done to see if I need to adjust my expectations. 

1:09pm - just got back from my run and let me tell you something - the Denver Gorgeous crowd was out in full.  It seems everyone was shining and beautiful with hardly any clothes on.  Beautiful people (especially women) make me happy.  I am sorry if this offends anyone but it is inspiring to see fit and beautiful people running and biking when I am out busting to get fit.  Just inspiring.

Since I didn't take any photos during my run, I will add this one of one of my snake friends made for me as a joke.  I happen to love it:

Well, today's weekly weigh in was a very nice surprise.  With my diet and beer consumption lately added to the effect of my new medication (constipation - TMI), I figured I would have gained a few pounds.  Looks like I am still pointing the arrow down regardless.  It would go down faster if I cleaned my diet and restricted beer to the weekends but what fun would that be.  NONE AT ALL!  :)

Let's start this morning with a Find the Snake photo - an easy one:

Tuesday - August 13

Run #1
  • 38m 15s
  • 4.20 miles
  • 09m 06s /Mi

Run to therapist's office. It was supposed to just be 3.5 miles but I turned too early at Mile High Stadium and ended farther west than I was supposed to. Oh Well - a bonus mile for me.

http://www.strava.com/activities/74382868

Run #2
  • 19m 37s
  • 2.10 miles
  • 09m 20s /Mi

Run back from therapist's office. I ran back directly instead of looping around Mile High Stadiuim. PR on Hottie Loop!
http://www.strava.com/activities/74400451

Sport #1
  • Commuter Cycling
  • 11m 20s

Commute to RTD stop

Sport #2
  • Commuter Cycling
  • 12m 30s

Commute home.

Human bite versus anaconda bite. If given a choice I prefer snake bites even if from a 5' anaconda. While play wrestling, my 9 year old human bit me playfully to get out if the hold I had him in. He didn't even bite hard but his bite left a good bruise.  Just think if he really bit me hard.  My anaconda bit me defensively on the hand yesterday and while it left two rows of pinholes, there was little pain.

We need a photo for today and I didn't take any while running.  I guess I will use this one of me as a youngin catching my first "real" snake.

Headed to a brain manager (therapist) today.  I am anxious but excited about the possibilities of the journey out of my black hole.  I look forward to the light and happiness coming to me.  :)

Monday - August 12

Sport #1
  • Commuter Cycling
  • 13m 36s

Morning bike commute to RTD.

Sport #2
  • Commuter Cycling
  • 13m 58s

Commute home

I don't know what was up with me this morning.  I was depressed badly this morning.  I could not get out of bed.  Anxiety levels are high which does not help.  I need to retrain my brain to not be so negative all the time. 

I got a new snake last week - pictures are coming soon so check back later to find out what it is.

11:33am - photos came from my father of our new snake - a green anaconda! 

Sunday - August 11

Soccer tournament most of the day (2 boys on different teams in the same tournament) - extended family watching the first game at 8:00am:

Saturday - August 10

Run
  • 43m 27s
  • 4.40 miles
  • 09m 52s /Mi

View on today's single track - 

cayrip's Training Log

August 2013 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
     1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17