Harder to Kill and More Useful in General

Wednesday - May 30

Bike
  • 1h 14m 35s
  • 18.38 miles
  • 14.79 Mi/hr

This route was very hilly so I didn't pay any attention to the prescribed workout. There were more than 20 minutes of hills in all, so I think I covered what I was supposed to do plus some. More than 1/2 way through I took Furman Road which has a couple of insane hills (for me). In 2.5 miles there was 607 feet of climb. One hill seems like it goes straight up. There's a great view at the top, though! My gears kept slipping which was really, really pissing me off on this road. I'd have it in the lowest gear, and then all of a sudden it'd slip up 2 gears. I was grumbling all sorts of lovely words during this ride!
(Bike Hill Repeats
Strength
WU: 15'
MS: Then 10x2' up a hill at 65-70 RPMS. Recover on the downhills. HR on the uphills can hit low Z4. Keep HR in Zone 1-2 otherwise.
CD: 15')

Tuesday - May 29

Swim
  • 1h 23m
  • 3827.65 yards
  • 02m 10s /100 yards

Adv/Int workout (+ some)
The big news for me is that I actually swam WITH Jackie!! Never mind that she just ran and biked the LPIM course this weekend, and did a run/bike brick earlier today... I stayed with Jackie! ;)

W/U:
400 (200s, 200 drill)
14x25 on :45 (odds stroke, evens build free)
Pull: 3x200 on 4:00
Main Set:
5x100 build free on 2:05
2x250 DPS on 5:15
1x500 on 9:00
Kick: 3x100 mix in stroke kicks
W/D 100
Workout was 3250, but accidentally added 50 to the 500, and added 200 at the end for the hell of it.

I think I've realized that what is contributing to my calf/achilles/ankle issues is not stretching much AFTER I run. It finally dawned on me last night. I'm going to take some time today to stretch. I'm planning on getting to Master's tonight.

I'm also starting to become concerned about how much training to do this week with the upcoming Pittsford Tri. My thinking is that since the Tupper Lake 1/2 Tinman is really my goal race, I'll continue to follow my training plan as much as possible, but go lighter on Friday, and take all of Saturday off. I've pretty much tailored my training plan this week to reflect that. It's kind of strange that the Pitt Tri is only a few days away now. Where does the time go?!?! Surprised

Monday - May 28

Run
  • 56m 24s
  • 6.56 miles
  • 08m 36s /Mi

Run from home to canal path and back. Calves/achilles still bothering me at the beginning so I stopped at about the 6 min mark to stretch them out again. I think I need to do some kind of warm-up before my initial stretching before my real runs.

Took 15 min to warm-up instead of the recommended 10. The intervals weren't too bad considering I had too much to eat at a picnic this afternoon!
Approximate avg pace for each interval:
7:07, 7:16, 7:00, 7:00
All in all I felt pretty good. This has been a fantastic spring!!

(Raise LT
Race Specific
WU: 10'
MS: 4x5' at LT w/3' recovery.
CD: 10')

Sunday - May 27

Could have gotten a workout in today, but opted to do yard work/gardening instead!  It's one of my favorite things to do, so it wasn't a disappointing day at all.  I wanted to get as much done as possible since the Memorial Day parade goes right by the end of my street and lots of neighbors, family, and friends stop by.  I want the yard to look nice!  Laughing  Tyler gets to march in it tomorrow with the Little League, so it should be a fun one!  That is, if he can maintain a smile the entire way.  It's a long walk and we are towards the end of the route.

Hope everyone is having a nice Memorial Day weekend!   

Saturday - May 26

Bike
  • 2h 12m
  • 32.71 miles
  • 14.87 Mi/hr

Took about 12-13 min for my "transition." Drank some lemonade and water and took an electrolyte tablet. Got my things together, which I wished I'd done BEFORE the run, then headed out.
Just went along the canal path all of the way to Genesee Valley Park, and a little past it to Brooks Ave. Then turned around and headed home. It was a pretty boring trip, but the instructions called for flat, and that's the only route I know of that guarantees me flat. At about the 1 1/2 hour mark I was wishing the ride was over. The only problem I have consistently while riding is my neck and the muscles that go along my neck to my shoulder get very achy and sore and I start wishing I could have a massage right away!! It probably is an effect of not having a bike that fits me perfectly. The only consolation is that I don't plan on any races that call for distances this long, so I can deal with the muscle fatigue and soreness for now.
All in all a good ride. Not too many dummies on the canal or the roads and no animal interference. Plus, the weather was fantastic for what I needed to get done today. No rain, and no sweltering heat!
I'm pretty proud of myself for accomplishing today's scheduled workouts! Makes me feel more confident for my upcoming tris! :)

(Bike Base
Endurance
Ride on a flat course, just spinning easy. Keep HR in Zone 1-2, no higher than mid Z2.)

Run
  • 1h 15m
  • 7.47 miles
  • 10m 02s /Mi

Ran first, on canal path most of the way heading east towards Macedon. Did a pretty good job keeping HR in place, so not sure where the 151 came from. Tried to go no higher than 142, but 143 seemed very comfortable because that's where I was for most of the last half of the run. I didn't worry too much about that.

My calves flared up again early on, but not nearly as bad as Thursday. I stopped at about the 14 min mark to stretch and shake them out, and a few minutes after that they settled down.

After my body settles down I tend to get in a groove where I feel I could keep going. I probably could have very comfortable gone on at that slower pace for another 1/2 hour, if not up to the 2 hour mark. Got me thinking about whether or not I'll ever want to attempt a 1/2 mary, or even a marathon some day.

(Run First
Endurance
Run on a flat course or treadmill. Keep HR in Zone 1-2, no higher than the top of Z2. Think about running like Kenyan - smooth and efficient.)

Friday - May 25

Spent the day running around getting some errands done.  Even did a little bit of clothes shopping for ME!  That doesn't happen too often, and the only way it did happen is because Rob took a 1/2 day and got the kids ice cream at the mall so I could shop.

Tyler gets to walk the field at the Red Wings game tonight!  Then fireworks afterwards.  If the rain hold off it should be a nice evening!  

Have a good weekend everyone!!  Smile

Thursday - May 24

Run
  • 32m 40s
  • 2.90 miles
  • -----

Plan called for a 60 minute easy Z1-2 run. It's a tough day schedule-wise, so I was only able to squeeze in 32+ min. I was hoping for at least 35, but you take what you can get I guess! My calf muscles were KILLING me for at least 1/2 of the run. I never realized before how much my body relies on getting stretched out before a run! I had to stop 2x's to stretch things out. Plus, I was just all around sore/stiff from all of these consecutive days of hard activity. My body seems to be crying for mercy. Tomorrow is a forced day off, thankfully!

Kam29's Training Log

May 2007 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
   1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31  

Volume

Time
Distance

Upcoming races