Harder to Kill and More Useful in General

Tuesday - June 26

Swim
  • 20m
  • -----
  • -----

OWS at Canandaigua Lake tonight with dexter and kenj. Also met up with maramdaddy and jamjam. It was a lot of fun! Didn't go too far or too long. Want to get this taper thing right! Played in the water and sand with the family afterwards. Water temp was warm, didn't really need the wetsuit.

Monday - June 25

Bike
  • 50m 40s
  • 13.47 miles
  • 15.95 Mi/hr

~230 feet of climbing
Made it out after dinner. Nice evening ride to a road I'd like to explore further on another day. Nice rolling hills, but nothing too steep.

(Big Gear
Power
WU: 10'
MS: 8x1 minute sprint, with 2' recovery.
CD: 5')

I've mapped out the 1/2 Tinman route on the BT route tracker.  It says ~643' of climbing.  I've done many rides with more than that, so I'm feeling somewhat prepared for it.  I'm sure most of the climb comes in the first 10 miles and the rest is downhill, but that would be great for the run anyway.  I want to average 17 mph for the bike, 8:30 for the run, and be done with the swim in under 19 minutes.  I think these are all goals that are doable.  Unless it's 90 degrees on Saturday.

I've actually started feeling excited about this today!  Still nervous, but in an excited way!Smile

Sunday - June 24

Run
  • 22m 11s
  • -----
  • -----

Ran along canal with kids riding bikes alongside me. Nice evening!
(Run Base
Endurance
Run on a flat course or treadmill. Keep HR in Zone 1-2, no higher than the top of Z2.)

Sport
  • Orienteering
  • 34m 50s

Walked/Jogged white course at Cobbs Hill Park ROC meet with kids and Rob. Tyler got his first real lesson on using a map, and guided us the entire way (with a little help, of course!) Great afternoon! :)

Saturday - June 23

Bike
  • 46m 45s
  • 10.22 miles
  • -----

Took a round-about way to get to Rob's grandparents house via Lyndon Road. Once I hit Bluhm Road, I hit monstrous hills. It kinda sucked.

This ride (from yesterday) was supposed to be a Z1, easy ride for an hour. It was anything but Z1. I didn't feel bad not meeting the 60 min time. I was on a mission for this ride - to get to my new baby - My Airstream!!! So we could work on it some. I love it!!! :)

No HR data - I must have turned the watch off accidentally after 11 minutes.

Run
  • 40m 34s
  • -----
  • -----

Didn't take the GPS on purpose because I didn't want to worry about my specific pace. I just tried to maintain a HR that was high, but tolerable to maintain for 20 minutes. I kept it in the high 160's for most of the tempo run.

My knee clicked some more at the beginning, but settled down after a couple of blocks. It doesn't hurt, like REALLY hurt, but it definitely bothers me. I'm beginning to wonder if there's some meniscus in there that needs to be removed. (I had some removed from this knee in 1994.) I'm not going to care, though, until after the 30th. Then we'll see.
Overall run was good, though! I felt strong and my confidence got bumped up a bit from it. Got me to thinking about what my goal times might be for the race. I think if I could run an 8 min pace for the 10K I'd be happy. It's only my 2nd official 10K run, so I don't really know what I can do. Heck, it's my first Oly, so I don't at all know how I can do! It'll be fun to find out, though! :)
(Speed
Strength
WU: 10' includes 4x20" strides.
MS: Then 20' tempo run at LT or 5k could be substituted.
CD: 10')

Friday - June 22

Swim
  • 37m
  • -----
  • -----

Out to Canandaigua Lake with jackjack. In by 5:45. Did the mile out and back, then an extra buoy out and back. I had a real problem staying straight today. My left arm must have been half asleep! I kept veering off to the left. It was a little ridiculous really. Jackie joked that I was lucky I wasn't going in circles! :) I really tried to concentrate on that plus on my stroke count vs. sighting. On the way out, I sighted every 3-4 right arm strokes. On the way back I cut it down to 2-3 so I could try to stay in a straighter line. It helped a bit. At the end, we made our way back to the corner buoy and turned toward shore. I swam until I was probably in water about at my knees. I could have swam further, but wonder if the deeper water is good for me to regain my balance before I hit dry land? Anyway, I tried to practice my water to bike transition (very loosely). I ran out and took off the goggles and cap and then fumbled with finding my zipper strap. I forgot I have to unvelcro before I unzip. I just lightly jogged to the picnic tables as I did this. Nothing fancy, but just wanted to make myself think about it - since a week from tomorrow is my big day!!
I also wore my swim goggles under my cap, as I'd read that this is a good idea in OWS swims so the goggles don't get kicked off.
Probably my last OWS before the race, unless I decide to go next Tuesday evening instead of going to Naz.

12:45: After thinking about my little "swimming in circles" issue this morning, I wonder if it had more to do with my kick than my stroke. The past couple of days I've been getting some clicking in my left knee. I felt it for just a few steps during last night's run, and I felt it again for my first 2-3 kicks this morning. I might have been unconsciously favoring that leg, thus not kicking much with it, thus veering off to the left all of the time. Yeah, that's it! At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it... It had nothing to do with the margaritas I had for breakfast on my drive down... No, not those... Wink

11:40 pm: Man, what a day.  I fully intended on getting my bike in this evening.  By the end of the day, I took Bryn to bed, fell asleep, and didn't wake up until 10:30! 

On a brighter note, my hubby and I are the proud owners of a 1975 AIRSTREAM trailer!!!!! Laughing 

This is our very first "Oh what the hell, this opportunity doesn't come along everyday" kind of purchase.  We discovered less than a week ago that our neighbors down the street were selling, and the price about made me jump out of my seat when I first heard it.  Owning one of these puppies has been a little dream of mine.   It's in very good condition.  I almost felt like I was ripping off this older couple, but it's what they asked for...  Anyway, I'm quickly becoming an expert in Airstream renovation.  This will be a long-term project that I think I will absolutely LOVE!!  It definitely needs work, but I'm feeling strangely up to the challenge!  One drawback - We don't own a vehicle that can actually pull it Embarassed  Details, details.... Like I said, we couldn't pass it up!  Cool

Thursday - June 21

Run
  • 31m
  • 3.43 miles
  • 09m 02s /Mi

Went out before dinner. Knee gave me one or two small, quick twinges at the start but that was it. Did warm-up around neighborhood then headed over to a middle school track. Did one loop around the track then headed up a small hill for the strides. The hill started off a bit steep, but gradually flattened out. I think it was a good spot overall for these.
Splits for the 30" strides:
5:52
5:34
6:01 (surprised at how much slower!)
5:06
5:35
4:48
In the 30" I counted about 46 left foot strikes each time. It was very consistent - I knew 30 seconds was up when I hit 46. Relatively speaking, I didn't feel too bad during this run. The recovery pace averaged about 11:30, but I didn't walk them. Each stride was completely into hard wind, especially once I hit the flat part at about stride #25 or so. I'm pretty pleased with the pace and the consistency of them!! :)

(Run Speed
Speed/Efficiency
20' run with 6x30" strides. These are best if done on a slight downhill on a dirt path. Warm up for at least 10' before the first stride. For your recovery, you can walk back to the starting point. Strides are quick bursts that are as fast as 5k pace. You are looking to get in about 45 left foot strikes per 26-28")

Wednesday - June 20

Bike
  • 1h 01m 34s
  • 16.57 miles
  • 16.15 Mi/hr

Below is the prescribed workout, but I just took a route with a lot of hills and went for it. Boy, could I tell I hadn't been on the bike in a few days. I really regret skipping the bike workouts this weekend. Oh well.

(Bike Hill Repeats
Strength
WU: 15'
MS: Then 4x2' up a hill at 65-70 RPMS. Recover on the downhills. HR on the uphills can hit low Z4. Keep HR in Zone 1-2 otherwise.)

Run
  • 20m 10s
  • -----
  • -----

Decided I wanted to make it a brick w/o tonight. I ran my bike up the driveway, took off my gloves and helmet, took a drink and ran off. Immediately my left knee began clicking. uugghhh... I rubbed it for a few seconds and continued on. It kept clicking for maybe another 1/4 mile or so but then settled down. It never hurt too badly, but it was bothersome. That's all I need TEN DAYS before the big day!

Today is the first official day of summer vacation in our house (or is it tomorrow?) Tyler's last day of school is today. I can't believe how fast it went. Now he'll be a 1st grader... They grow up way too fast. I'm sure the first couple of days will be fun, but then I'll be counting the days until camps start. Wink

Kam29's Training Log

June 2007 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
      1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Volume

Time
Distance

Upcoming races