Harder to Kill and More Useful in General

Wednesday - April 1

Run
  • 49m 06s
  • 5.24 miles
  • 09m 22s /Mi

Not a great run, but I got something in.
Supposed to be
10-20' w/u
6x800 w/ 1:30 rest interval
10' c/d
The 5th 800 was spent searching for a place to go potty. It's a problem now with all of the people out enjoying the nice weather on the canal.
Let me tell you, though. Nobody should go wandering in the woods off the Erie Canal for a long while....

I kept most of my 800's at around 8:30ish pace. I'll upload the data later.

Yet another classroom, and I'm spent for the week.  Thank goodness I can't work Th and Fr b/c the kids have p/t conference days.   I think the different classrooms - different students, different staff - is beginning to wear on me.  It's tough always going into the unknown.  And I'm never sure I'm doing what they expect of me, whatever that is....   This was another medically fragile class of older students.  Some as old as 21.  Mostly nonverbal and wheelchair bound.  This makes 10 different classrooms I've been in in a month. 

And I have yet to be in a classroom where I think I would like to stay long term.  Some of the classes I've liked a lot and hope I'll get called back to.  A couple I hope they never call me back to again. 

The principal approached me on Monday to see if I'd be ready for a long-term sub position because they need one, but I just told him I can't right now.  It's better than saying I don't want to, I guess.  

I had yet another student in my class today that was permanently disabled (severly disabled) because he was hit by a car when he was around 10 while riding his bike.  Nonverbal, completely immobile.  No real arm movements, let alone leg movements.  And maybe a cognitive level of a preschooler.  It is frightening to think about. 

I'm hoping to muster up some energy to go for my run here in a little while.

Tuesday - March 31

Bike
  • 35m
  • -----
  • -----

Yep, I decided to hop on the trainer. Watching Biggest Loser will do that for you. :)
Up and down the gears and a few one-legged drills.

It's after 9 p.m.  I suppose I could hop on the trainer.  Do I really WANT to??  not really.  Should I??  maybe. 

I had a pretty good day today.  I was in my 9th classroom so far, but a great group of adults and a really cute group of kids.  Did I just call a group of 16-18 year olds cute??  Yes I did, because they were.  Just a really nice group. 

Monday - March 30

I feel remarkably fine today.  Just plain ol' fine.  Smile

I subbed in a new classroom again today.  That makes the total at 8 different ones.  This was the least impressive as far as support staff goes.  Not really impressed with some of the people who I had to work with today, but I guess that happens.

Not sure what if anything I'll get in today.

Sunday - March 29

Run
  • 3h 24m 11s
  • 20.03 miles
  • 10m 11s /Mi

:-) I did it!! What a great run! I felt good. My foot didn't distract me too much, and I kept a good, even pace the whole time. Not even one potty stop, and only a 30" stop for a water refill, so this actually was one continuous 20 miler!

Rob ran the 1st 10 with me. We headed towards Pittsford 5 miles and back. We got hit by some pretty hard rain for awhile, and were totally soaked, but it cleared up nicely once we got closer to Fairport again.
At 10 miles, at home, I refilled the 2 8oz. bottles I'd emptied and went back out while Rob changed shirts and got his bike ready. I don't know what took him so long, but he showed up after 3 miles and rode with me. We got to Mike's and picked him and Dudley up at mile 15 and they finished up the run with me. For a bit I really picked up the pace trying to keep up with their fresh legs, but then I slowed back down again. I took them up a couple of good hills to finish up my run in style, then came back and plopped right down in a chair.
I need to go pop some tri-candy now. :-) I feel really good about the marathon now, as long as things are like they were today.
I used my toe protector, which is a freaking wonderful invention! Then I cut some moleskin and taped my foot up with duct tape. That worked very nicely.
I hit the lap button every 5 miles
5.0 miles 52:09 10:26 average
4.99 miles 50:14 10:04 average
5.01 miles 51:23 10:15 average
5.03 miles 50:28 10:02 average

I ordered this shirt to wear for the marathon.  Smile

tshirt

If you can't read it it says "If Found on Ground Please Drag Across Finish Line"  It was between that and one that said something like "This sounded like a good idea 3 months ago." I still might order that one.

I ordered one for Rob that says "Toenails are for Sissies"  He's often without toe nails.  He may still be, I don't like to look.  

Saturday - March 28

Bike
  • 48m 30s
  • 12.45 miles
  • 15.40 Mi/hr

Hey Look at ME!!! I went for a ride outside!! :) What a nice day. I wore shorts, but a jacket since it was a bit breezy, and I was very comfortable.
I have to admit I was a bit nervous at the get-go. Did I remember how to clip in/out? Did I remember how to shift on this bike?? Would my legs completely stop working in the middle of a street?? I rode on some side streets and along a paved portion of the canal for a while until I felt more comfortable. Then I braved the busy streets.
And I didn't feel too bad conditioning-wise, but I also had very low expectations. I was definitely slow on the rollers, and at 25 min. I felt pretty done, but I survived! Glad I got out there!

We spent the night at Village Sports.  Right on the turf.  The kids were still running around on the turf after the lights were out and it was approaching 12:30 a.m.   Did not get much sleep at all, needless to say.  I'm going back to bed here shortly. 

It was a lot of fun, though.  Ice skating until 9:30ish, kickball and dodgeball until 11:30ish.  We are all pooped.  

Friday - March 27

Run
  • 42m 06s
  • 4.38 miles
  • 09m 37s /Mi

I ran while Bryn rode her bike. Tyler lucked out and got invited to a neighbor's house. It wasn't the most effective training run, but it'll have to do. Bryn likes to stop and smell the roses a little too much for my liking.
Maybe I can get back out for the last 3+ miles after Rob gets home.

2nd run not happening.  Too much left to do to get ready for an all-night event with 15 kids and their parents.  Wish me luck!  Smile

Oh, my sinuses....  I think I need to go to the doctor.   I'm sure my teeth will pop out of my head.  ugh.  Bryn's home all day, Tyler has a 1/2 day, and we are attending an over-nighter with Tyler's cub scout den tonight.  All of these things combined will make it particularly tricky to get my 8 mile run in today.  I'm not sure the kids would be thrilled with a long bike ride while I run. 

Oh, and Bryn has a dr. appointment this afternoon to recheck her throat.  It's hurting again.  But no other symptoms.  She was complaining so I shined a flashlight down there and saw a pretty swollen tonsil. 

Poor Purdue.  They played there ass off last night, but there was no way they could stand up to that monster UConn has at the post.  

That being said, I am in 2nd place in the NCAA pool I'm in through Rob's work (out of 20-some entries)!  I picked Pitt to go all the way.  Which is probably a long shot since they kept it close most of the game last night.   But I did pick Duke to lose, which put me up there.  March Madness is so much fun!  Smile  It distracts me from the pain.  Oh the pain..... 

Thursday - March 26

Swim
  • 44m
  • 1850.00 yards
  • -----

At rec ctr pool. Very quiet there today which was nice.
I think this is what I did:
w/u 200s, 100k, 100p
pull 6x50 on 1:00 (did most in :48)
100s
50 stroke
300 time trial in 4:58 (just to see, and I was very pleasantly surprised at the time! I kept telling myself to not expect it to be below 6 minutes, and I'm pretty positive that I did all of the 300!)
2x100 stroke
100p
200s

I'm so bummed that I didn't get called in to work today, especially since I can't work tomorrow due to  P/T conferences going on at my kids' school.  That means I will only have gotten in 2 days of work this week....  That's the problem with just being a sub, it's unpredictable like that.  Otherwise, I'm really enjoying it. 

I'm shooting for a swim workout later this morning.  But now, off to clean bathrooms.....

Kam29's Training Log

April 2009 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
    1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30  

Volume

Time
Distance

Upcoming races