High 88F
Low 70F

Tuesday - July 29

Monday - July 28

Bike
  • 1h 21m
  • 20.20 miles
  • 14.96 Mi/hr

out to 1788 and back. Supposed to be an easy spin. Mostly I was able to do that. A couple of times I let the effort creep up.

Strength
  • 50m

• EXERCISE

Sets
    Min
    reps
    Max
    reps
    Min
    wt.(lb)
    Max
    wt.(lb)
  • BACK - Back extensions
  • BACK - Pullups - Medium Grip, Supinated
  • BACK - Seated row
  • BICEPS - DB Curls Alternating
  • CHEST - Flat Bench - Machine
  • CORE - Side Planks
  • LEGS - Calf raise single leg standing
  • LEGS - Hamstring Curls (Cable)
  • LEGS - Leg Extensions
  • LEGS - Single Leg DB Squats
  • LEGS - Single leg raise front
  • SHOULDERS - 1-Legged DB Side Raises
  • TRICEPS - Pulley pushdown

lunges instead of squats.
Something like this. Not remembering details at lunch. Could be I wasn't paying that much attention.
I remember being focused and trying to get through quickly. Also remember that it took 50 minutes. I thought I was on track for a 1/2 hour. I should probably accept that this routine takes most of an hour.

Excited about skiing in a week. Fun trip (I hope) to South America for snow skiing then a week in the jungle and beach of Costa Rica.

Sunday - July 27

Swim #1
  • 08m 06s
  • 437.45 yards
  • 01m 51s /100 yards

Stopped to let the guy behind pass me for the last 50M. Drafted my way in. Great way to finish a swim leg.

Bike
  • 40m 02s
  • 13.20 miles
  • 19.78 Mi/hr

19 mph average. Pretty good for me. mostly kept it just below LT.

Run
  • 27m 11s
  • 3.10 miles
  • 08m 46s /Mi

Walked the turn around/aide station. Walked around one bend in the road (12 min pace for about 10 seconds) at about 1/2 mile out - then was able to pick it up again. I'm excited about the pace I was able to maintain - mostly sub 9 min, and a bit even faster. :)

Monday: I'm real pleased to run a sub 9 min pace, and reverse split with the second half being faster than first. Very consistent pace. I had to walk 10 yards just before the final 1/4 mile or so, but speed picked up after the little respite.

Swim #2
  • 06m
  • 300.00 yards
  • 02m /100 yards

Lally gag pace little swim after the race. Thought I 'd take advantage of the nice empty pool and swim some laps. Arms tired and folks standing around visiting. So mostly I didn't swim. Tomorrow, I'll swim. (of course that's what I've been saying for months now.)

Be uncomfortable. Strive.  Get better.  Kerry Walsh Jennings

Lovely tri today. 8 of 'my' triathlon 101 athletes were there plus two alumni including my co-coach.  What fun.  Lots of podium slots, and my co-coach got 1st OA female.  How about that.  I had to run fast to stay in front of her.  :)  My swim was pretty good, especially for avoiding the pool like the plague, bike was good, I pushed as hard as possible without blowing up.  Just under LT the whole way, and my run! the run was faster than I've run in years.  ~ 8:30/mile for the 5K.  You can see on the graph where I kicked it up after the turn around, and again at one mile out.  I almost couldn't hold on to the pace at the end, and it did tail off a little but I finished at a 7:45 pace.  That's slow for many, but for me that's a huge improvement, and as hard as I could go.  I'm pumped.

Sadly, one of the girls who showed up only came to one of our workouts.  She was on time enough if everything had gone well for her, but she had a flat when she got her bike out of the car.  IF she had attended our work outs she would have known to show up an hour early, and to have an extra tube and a pump.  Our bike shop guy, John was there and helped her the best he could using my pump, but she had no tube and it was too late to borrow one.  We were all in pre race meeting, then went right into the water.  Oh well, I cannot help people who don't show up.  Still I wish I could have helped her more.

Saturday - July 26

Bike
  • 3h 39m
  • 56.00 miles
  • 15.34 Mi/hr

this was supposed to be long and easy. Mostly I managed to keep it there. Cleaned my bike after and found that my brake was dragging ever so slightly. could by why an easy ride seemed just a bit tougher than it ought to have.

Felt pretty good mostly all. Felt like I had power if I wanted or needed it. Around the end of the back part I felt more tired than I thought I should and chalked it up to not being conditioned. Could have been the brake touching. Hmmm. Suppose I should clean my bike a bit more often.

Friday - July 25

Run
  • 12m
  • 1.28 miles
  • 09m 22s /Mi

to pool and back in five fingers.
warm up easy because I was sitting at desk all morning.

Swim
  • 22m
  • 1150.00 yards
  • 01m 55s /100 yards

300 wu
4x50 drill
2x100 ebeh
100cd

Security is mostly a superstition.  It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it.  Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure.  Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. - Helen Keller

You always hear the last line of this quote, but I think the first three sentences are every bit as good as the last.

I've got a new little concrete patch in the hall closet.  Unfortunately they cut a hole in the dry wall, and I've got to get my dry wall guy to come patch a 3"x5" hole in the wall.  I'll probably wait till winter because I've got a piece of drywall loose on my porch ceiling and there's a bird nest up there.  I saw baby birds poking their heads over the edge to get fed by mama bird the other day.  Cute.  Have to wait until nesting season is over before dry wall work.  I could paint the closet as long as everything is out though.  And as long as I've got to handle everything anyway, I get to finally clean out that closet.  That's given that I don't choose to ignore the huge piles of stuff everything. :-)

8 days till we leave for South America!  Am I excited?  More and more!

Thursday - July 24

Run
  • 2h 29m
  • 12.00 miles
  • 12m 25s /Mi

two potty breaks not included in time.
Pretty good 9-10 min pace early, decreasing to 12 - 13 at the end. run/walk 4/1 mostly.
Nutrition was a bit light.

Ran 12 miles. Pretty tired at the end, and certainly didn't want to go any farther, but today on Friday, there seems to be no ill effects. - I'm excited about that!

Wednesday - July 23

Run
  • 30m
  • 2.00 miles
  • 15m /Mi

morning walk

Bike
  • 20m
  • 3.21 miles
  • 9.63 Mi/hr

mtn bike to work and back.
Plumbers and carpet people showed up just before group ride so I missed that. - ends up being kind of a rest day

jashac's Training Log

July 2014 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
   1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31  

Volume

Time
Distance

Actual vs Planned