Sunny
High 87F
Low 58F
TUESDAY
Sunny
High 76F
Low 53F

Sunday - November 2

What to say about the incredible event yesterday?  It's still sinking in.

First I guess, is the support of the BT community and BT friends is really undiscribable.  To have people care and understand and are on the same road - incredible.  Thanks Aimee, and Sue, and Brittney, Sean, and Jay.  Folks I saw again and again on the run who made the journey to 140.6 a group endevor were awesome. Really.   Thanks to Speedleopard for originally inspiring me to do this thing, and to Kathy and Karen for all the lessons.  Thanks to all the BT folks who chimed in with answers to my thousand questions about training, the journey, and life in general.  I know I'm missing someone who was key, I don't mean to leave anyone out.  I've had hundreds of conversations with people, each of whom inspired me and contributed valuable and key information.  Thanks to my friend Carol who gave me very key nutriion information.  You-All are truely, truely awesome and wonderful.  Thanks to everyone who chimed in on the IMFL insanity check - it was really nice to take this trip with folks suffering from the same problems, dilusions, and fantasy. :)  I've sure enjoyed this road with you - and more so because of you.

The shear physical endevor is beyond discription.  I did make it to the finish line, although the last three miles were perhaps the longest miles of my life.    I did ask myself a couple of times, do I have what it takes to make it to the finish line?  The answer every time was a resounding yes.  I did however run past my training.  I guess that's part of the race itself.  The whole experience has sure changed my perspective - as well as my body.

One funny thing (in my mind at least).  Somewhere along about mile 23 a quote from Star Wars came to mind.  "Is there pain Obi Wan?  There is pain Luke... but the pleasure is greater."   You probably had to be there. :) 

I am sore today.

The race: I think my pacing was very good.  Nutrition - good, hydration - good.  I'm very pleased with the swim, the bike, and the run up to 20 miles.  More later, and in my race report.  I've got to pack - leaving at the crack of dawn.  I'm thinking I'd like to swim in the ocean one more time, but I'm running out of time.  And the award dinner is in about an hour, one more chance to mingle with the great BT folks here.  I've got to get packing - its getting dark and I've got to get going.

Saturday - November 1

Swim
  • 1h 14m
  • 4220.00 yards
  • 01m 45s /100 yards

OWS - a washing machine.

Bike
  • 6h 34m
  • 112.00 miles
  • 17.06 Mi/hr

Wonderful wonderful easy pace, still spinning over 90 rpm after 112 miles. Pretty day lovely pine trees and great aide stations. Enjoyed riding with Aimee and seeing Britney on course

Run
  • 6h 05m
  • 26.20 miles
  • 13m 56s /Mi

The first 13 miles - wonderful, the last six tough, the last three were the longest of my life. but had I known how slow I was actually going I would have stopped and rested, probably would have been faster. Lovely race though, and the finish line was truely fantastic.

• RACE DAY: Ironman Florida

Friday - October 31

Swim
  • 20m
  • 1000.00 yards
  • -----

out to the first bouy, across to the return, out through the chute and back like for the race tomorrow. The water is much too shallow to swim the diaganol. I think I'll run the beach for a ways.

Bike
  • 17m
  • -----
  • -----

wow that felt good. just up the street and back. made sure everything was working well. checked all the gears, brakes. Need air in the tires tomorrow. Meant to do it on the way to check in but forgot. Stood up a little , rode hard just a little, mostly easy spin - 20mph. wow

Run
  • 20m
  • 2.00 miles
  • -----

2 miles maybe, just down past the expo and back. mostly ran, walked just a bit. plus I've walked over there twice today, and been on my feet probably too much. did a full transition practice in the condo

3;30am.  Woke up STARVING!  So thought I'd check in. 

Sorry I didn't return inspires last night.  No internet service.  It is real spotty at this condo.  Real good sometimes and just not there other times.  None at all last night. 

Best news - my dad came through surgery very well - the surgeon said he was calm and smiling when he came out.  I did have a chance to talk to him after the athlete's meeting and he sounded pretty good.  His speach is a little slurred,   and his voice was raspy -I'm guessing from having a tube down his throat.  He was in great spirits and said, "I'm very happy."  Hope he has a good day today - first day of recovery.

It's so awesome, because hopefully he'll be ok, and that clears the way for me to be at the start line.

Tomorrow!  Tomorrow we run the Iron Man!   But first I'm going back to bed for an hour - then swim with BT friends.  The swim has been fun every day.  Today's plan - don't fiddle around after getting out of the water and stand around shivering.

Killing time, enjoying the peace till it's time to put the wetsuit on and walk over to the 7am swim.  Wondering when the morining dry clothes bag gets turned in.  wondering what I'm going to put in the run special needs bag.  Thinking about T1.  I think I've figured out what I'm wearing out of T1 on the bike.  It's pretty cool in the morning.  My biggest concern is the last half of the run.  I was very cold walking back from the athlete's dinner last night at about 8:30.  Wearing two tech t-shirts and a sweat shirt - running shorts and shoes.  Definitely a sweatshirt in the run special needs bag.   More?

Time to go swim with BT peeps! Whoo Hoo!  Last OWS before Iron Man!  WHOO HOOO!

What a cool deal this is.  the people , the expo, the excitement, the questons.  Almost half of us are first timers.  It's really awesome.

Well the bike is racked in the transition area.  I've walked the transition a couple of times.  The transition bags are stacked in their place with the other 2000 bags.  I just have to make a trip to
Wallmart to pick up a sweatshirt for run special needs bag.  It looks like tomorrow I'll be standing on the beach at 6:45 ready to go for a swim.  Just like today.  --except perhaps I'll swim a little longer, then perhaps go for a bike ride then a little 26.2 mile run.  Cool

I sort of cannot believe it.  Tomorrow, if it goes according to plan I will become an iron man.  Wow.  I'm so excited to be at this point.  enjoying my new friends. 

I've been on my feet a little too much today - now it's rest and put your feet up time.  The run and bike felt so awesome.  The swim today, however, was a little tough, with about a two foot swell and choppy.  Good practice, but much tougher than yesterday or the day before.  Nice and warm this afternoon - actually T-shirt weather.  :)

• Health data: Hours slept: 7.5

Thursday - October 30

Exhausted last night and went to bed at 7pm.  pretty much slept through,except for a snack at about 9.

Going to swim with the group this morning.  The air is almost 10 degrees warmer at 47 degrees.  Still feels chilly to me.  I'm having trouble concentrating though...

Tough decision to make.  My dad is in the hospital and having surgery this morning.  there is some "slight bleeding" in his brain.  They are going in to fix that, and "put a shunt in" in case there is any more it can drain.  He says, "don't worry, concentrate on your race, stay there."  He also says, there is nothing you can do here.  I tend to agree.  But,  my sister is really after me to come back right away.  If I wasn't doing Iron Man, I would be there alread.  If I go, I give up something I may never get to do again, and to what end?  The to what end is the tough question.  I just don't see that I add anything. ??   I do plan to go right after the IM.  AND it takes two days to get there from here.  I suppose I could fly direct, and rent a car.  Tough decision... arrive Sat or Sun or Tue/Wed?

I've made a thousand decisions to do this thing.  How many times have I not done entertainment or social things in favor of training for the Iron Man.  How many times did I decide to go ahead and train in spite of injury, fatigue, time or day, or weather?  All those decisions to do the Iron Man, and now, with two days left to decide otherwise is very tough.

• Health data: Hours slept: 10

Wednesday - October 29

Swim
  • 20m
  • 1000.00 yards
  • -----

OWS at PCB! With the BT group! It was really fun to have people to swim with, and the water was wonderful - although a little cold at first. Air temp 39 - COLD. We just swam out, stoped to talk, swam to the next bouy, takled a little, then swam back and spent lots of time talking on the beach - till everyone was frozen. -What fun

IMFL - I'm here and it's really pretty.   I got registered this morning and bought a tri top, T-shirt, hat, and a couple of stickers.  Even though my bike came in yesterday they had not started on it.  They are "waiting till people come by then they move their bike to the front of the list.  mine is supposed to be ready ~ 1:30, so I've got to go back over there.  Walked two miles this morning.  It's about a 1/2 mile to Boardwalk (the headquarters).  Only takes ~ 10 minutes walking on the beach.

Kind of exciting.  here, registered, already swum in the ocean.  Met Aimee, Chris, and four other guys.  I've got to work on names.  it really was a fun swim and what a bunch of great guys and gals.  I would have liked to stay and chat more but I was sssshivering before I even got in the water,  After the swim I was ok till after a few minutes on the beach.  then more sssshivering.  hot shower was awesome.  just had lunch - nap time now - 16 hours of traveling yesterday.

My dad had a "mini stroke" yesterday, and they've got him in the hospital doing tests.  he says no, don't come back.  He says the 'mini stroke' might mean that he might have a stroke sometime in the next 5 years.  It is worrysome, and especially yesterday in the middle of the trip to have to decide, should I continue or try to turn around.   He said go, and it sounds like lots more tests.

• Health data: Hours slept: 6.5

Tuesday - October 28

Monday - October 27

Swim
  • 27m
  • 1400.00 yards
  • 01m 56s /100 yards

focus on no water in my mouth, and glide with strong pull. rotation - So easy even though the water was a bit choppy with the water aerobics in the next lane.

Run
  • 20m
  • 2.00 miles
  • 10m /Mi

a guess at the distance. Just ran easy along the trail around the golf course. Out for 10 minutes, mostly a little up hill, then back. That's a confidence builder - 10 minutes slightly downhill all the way. :)

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. - Patrick Henry

I have two lamps, experience and faith.  For a scientist faith is the harder to understand, but know this: it is real and it works.  There are things that we do not understand scientifically yet.

Think I'll do tomorrow's work out today, because tomorrow is travel all day long.  Leave here at 4:am, arrive Pensacola 6pm, PCB ~ 8pm?  check in etc, quick tirp to groc store for breakfast then bed - hopefully not too late.

Working out of the house in Ruidoso today.  Short run and swim on tap for today.  The rest of the week I'm totally on my Own Program.  decided to bag the prescribed last few days of taper for a combination of what I've read, and things that have worked for me in the past: tue - travel, Wed 15s, 15b, 15r,  Thurs 15swim and rest, Fri 15, 15, 15.  Sat - Iron Man!

Did I mention I'm EXCITED!

finished the two easy,easy workouts for today.  Tomorrow I travel.  did I mention that tomorrow I go to Panama City.  Oh, an aquantence from Midland who had done an IM and I talked with twice called yesterday to see if I had any last minute questions and wish me luck.  Isn't that awesome!  I think it is.  Oh, did I mention that tomorrow I'm going to go to Florida to run in the Iron man race?  This doesn't happen every day you know.  Too excited to be cool. Cool

• Health data: Hours slept: 7.5

jashac's Training Log

November 2008 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Volume

Time
Distance

Actual vs Planned