• 36m 05s
  • 2112.00 yards
  • 01m 43s /100 yards

took it easy - felt good. T1 2:20

Bike
  • 3h 37m 46s
  • 56.00 miles
  • 15.43 Mi/hr

Lots of wind and rain almost the whole time. plus, did I mention there are some hills? That pace is pretty good for me considering the wind. Think I pushed it a bit harder than I should have. T2:52 should have been faster.

Run
  • 2h 43m 18s
  • 13.10 miles
  • 12m 28s /Mi

Knees hurting and could not run down the hills. 800 ft of climbing. Run 4 walk 1. walk through aide stations. This was one tough run for me. It did stop raining though. dissappointed in my pace.

Did it in 7 hrs and change.  My watch showed 7:03.  Official times not up yet.  Tired, and Oh-so-sore.  Ankle and foot held up fine.  Looked better, in fact, after the race than before.  I gave it everything I had - didn't save a bit, although I was able to run strong the last 1/4 mile to the finsh, then stagger off to the lake.  Tired now, so off to bed.  Hopefully I can write some more tomorrow.

Bike
  • 30m
  • 6.00 miles
  • 12.00 Mi/hr

mtn bike commute to office and home - 15 min each way.

Strength
  • 08m

• EXERCISE

Sets
    Min
    reps
    Max
    reps
    Min
    wt.(lb)
    Max
    wt.(lb)
  • BACK - Bent-Arm Lat Pulldowns
  • BACK - Incline Row
  • BICEPS - DB Split Curls
  • CHEST - Flat Bench Press
  • CORE - Superman
  • SHOULDERS - Military DB
  • TRICEPS - Narrow Grip Bench

very very light and quick run through just to warm up

Today is Friday.
Tomorrow is Saturday,
The next day we race.
For me it's a race against myself,
against aging,
against disability,
against a sprained ankle and sore knee
a race between youthful exhuburance
and a less than youthful body
a race against distance
and time
a race against mental demons,
and a race to test myself.
It's also a stepping stone to IMFL.

rest day today.  Tomorrow I plan to scope out the swim course - so I will have an idea of where I'm going (unlike last time), drive the bike course, and drive/bike the run course.  I want to map out the last four or so miles of the run course so I know where the last four 'mile posts' are.  On the Oly they did not have any mile markers and I want to know at what point I can up the effort and where I can go for broke.  Just in case they have tri bikes, I want to attend the Expo.  I'm planning on camping so I've got to set up camp as well.  I also plan to swim just a few hundred yards to attempt to get used to the water. 

Dear ankle and foot, please get better and strong enough to carry my 13.1 miles with out getting hurt.  I soaked you last night in hot and cold, and again this morning.  Why are you green?  Why do you twitch and have such odd feelings and little rumblings?  Why are you cold sometimes?  You know we've got something to do on Sunday, so please get your self better.

• Health data: Hours slept: 8

Two great quotes today for my philosophical self:

In quietness and in confidence shall be your strength. - Isiah 30:15

Old people are wonderfully shameless; they have no time for false pride or prudery.  In the process of living so many years, whatever pretensions they might have had seem to have dried up and blown away, like corn husks or last summer's leaves.  This quality is as bracing as sea air.   ...The lessons that old people can teach us aren't written anywhere.

Both of these speak to me as inspiration for the coming 1/2IM this Sunday.  Go quietly and confidently to the start.  There is no need to pretend I'm anything other than what I am.  The distance will show who I am, and how I have prepared. 

I practiced transitions for 20 min this morning.  -   without wetsuit, I just pretended on that part.  but everything else was just as on race day.  The schedule called for a short bike, but I rode last night, and a short run, which I'm not doing in favor of letting my ankle heal as much as possible before the race.

I think I'm not loving this taper.  Hurt one ankle, then last night I flopped over on the bike at a stop sign, left hand and the other ankle/foot is hurting today along with sprocket cuts on the back of my calf.  What is going on?  When I was deep in training I guess there just wasn't time to get hurt.  Undecided

Ankle today: more brusing is showing up - this time down near the toes.  It does seem a bit stronger, more stable and more flexible.  There are still some places that react with little shooting electirc kind of feelings up and down the leg and foot when I rub ice over them.  I hope it does not mean that I actually damaged ligaments or something.   I was a bad boy today.  In practicing transitions, one time I actually jogged very easy down the street for 1/2 block.  Everything felt pretty good.   Left knee let me know it is there - probably just so I can have something besides the L foot and ankle to worry about.  Oh well, I know I can make it through the swim and bike, well just have to see about the run.  Tonight I think I'll do the hot/cold soak treatment for ankle.

I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do in it.
-- W.C. Fields

Let's go do an OWS!

• Health data: Hours slept: 7
Bike #1
  • 20m
  • 4.00 miles
  • 12.00 Mi/hr

mtn bike commute to pool and back

Swim
  • 17m
  • 850.00 yards
  • 02m /100 yards

continuous 15 minutes, RPE 2-3

Bike #2
  • 1h 27m
  • 20.00 miles
  • 13.79 Mi/hr

rode hard for ~20 min 20mph into the wind. caught ponytail who whas riding alone, and rode easy with her to churches ~12-15 mph, turned around and rode RPE 4 back to LBS. drove out to get Jeff who had a blow out and was walking back.

The ankle strength and flexibility is coming back.  Foot is still quite sore to the touch, and today after swimming I've got quite a bruse on the outside lower part of foot.  It kind of has twitchy little feelings in the foot and ankle this morning.  Iced it last night before bed.

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/photos/get-photo.asp?photoid=72474

Bike club ride tonight - I'll make it short.

• Health data: RHR: 48 Hours slept: 7

The grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, something to love, and something to hope for. - Joseph Addison 

I suppose that when the alarm goes off in the morning it is a bad time to decide whether or not to take a rest day.  today: unplanned rest day (at least so far)  Tonight support group for daughter. 

I ran/walked, mostly walked for about five minutes yesterday after the swim.   It really was an awesome swim.  At the end I headed out into the lake again, and just sprinted for a while.  I feel like I move through the water so easy in the wetsuit.

The ankle is still swollen this morning  but appears to have gone down just a little bit more.  I forgot to ice when I got home last night.  It is a little tender, but I'm getting more range of motion back.  I think I'll be able to run on Sunday, but I really do not think it's a good idea to run before then.  I do think I ought  to stay active to help it heal.   Perhaps a short bike, and very short walk today.  I'm not sure when I'll work them in.  Usually if I don't get it in the morning the workout just doesn't happen.

• Health data: Hours slept: 8.5
Swim
  • 40m
  • 2400.00 yards
  • 01m 40s /100 yards

OWS at Bottomless lakes. Play in the wetsuit. Three times across and back. and a fourth time out about 100 yds, just to play with wetsuit. tried various strokes, and a little sprinting and some floating.

I love that lake.  I just wish that today had been - dare I say it? - a bit more windy to simulate more accurately race conditions.  Lovely clear deep lake.  slightly salty water and cool.  There were definitely cooler spots which I played with some. Buffalo Springs is quite cold.  I would class this lake as cool.  In the wetsuit with a cap it's almost warm.  I felt like a fish.  Swimming was effortless.  Awesome.  Great confidence builder.  Focused on relaxed breathing, and rolling to the side to breath.  also swimming straight and sighting.  Everything worked well.   One slight sore spot on my neck- but no wetsuit kiss.  :)

It's time for bed now.   BSLT one week from yesterday. 

I hope all our guys who did IMCdA did super.  I'll check RR tomorrow.

• Health data: Hours slept: 7

jashac's Training Log

June 2008 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30     

Time
Distance
Time