• 13.67 miles
  • 18.58 Mi/hr

Includes T1 time - and time spent riding back to retrieve dropped glove

Run
  • 30m 55s
  • 3.10 miles
  • 09m 58s /Mi

Includes T2

Had a fun race.  Went to eat afterwards with Mike Kelly and we ended up sitting with Mike and Marty Greer and Mark B and his wife.  Awesome fun time, and they had good advise and council for IMFL.  It turns out the Mark opened one of the first bars on the beach in Panama City Beach, and Marti was one of the referees at the first IMFL. - There's some history.  Mark told a great story about the Platters coming to town and ending up in his bar.

Bike
  • 25m
  • 6.20 miles
  • 14.88 Mi/hr

mtn bike commute to office and home

A musician must make music, and artist must paint, a poet must write, if he is ultimately to be at peace with himself. - Abraham Maslow.

An athlete must exercise.

Mostly a rest day today.  My right foot is sore in the arch.  I think it will be ok. stretching hurts some, but it doesn't feel like anything is really damaged.  Achilies on both sides were sore as usual when I got up this morning.  Neck/back is not any better - probably a little worse than yesterday.  The endorphins however are flowing well and I feel pretty good after yesterday's workouts.  I need to stop cutting the swims short. 

And I'm excited about hitting 600 miles in a month of riding. :)  Oh and every square of July was yellow. - I am taking rest days.  I do not consider a three mile commute to work and again back home a workout. - but I do count the mileage and time.

• Health data: RHR: 48 Hours slept: 7.5
Run #1
  • 1h 46m
  • 9.50 miles
  • 11m 10s /Mi

to pool then to college and loop 5 ? times. had to cross at bridge. pretty good pace mostly 4/1 run/walk, although I skipped several of the walks. Back to pool for PT

Swim
  • 23m 36s
  • 1200.00 yards
  • 01m 58s /100 yards

3x400 7.55, 7.56, 7.45

Run #2
  • 20m
  • 2.00 miles
  • 10m /Mi

run home from PT and pool

Bike
  • 30m
  • 7.35 miles
  • 14.70 Mi/hr

mtn bike commute to work

Sport
  • Physical Therapy
  • 1h 00m

We are whole beings.  We know this somewhere in a part of ourselves that feels like memory. - Susan Griffin
My real golden age is now, because it is the only time I have. - Casey and Vanceburg

When running feels good, part of what I really enjoy is the feeling of wholeness - a feeling of being an integral part of the world and the universe.  This especially happens for me before dawn.  I'm not sure why.  Perhaps it's because there is less visual distraction? 

I love being out on the streets before dawn.  It's so quiet, and I feel like I have the world to myself.  In this small town it's especially true.  Between 5 and 6 AM it's a perfect time to run or ride.  I ran over to the pool/PT location to drop off my swim gear, and the pool wasn't even open.  Fortunately the PT gym was, so I left my stuff there.  Then it was off the the college and 1.14 mile loops around.  When I got to the drainage ditch low water crossing there was still run off flowing from last night's rains.  I could tell there was flowing water, and too wide to jump across, but in the dark couldn't tell how deep.  So I backed off thinking, 'what I need is a bridge'  which reminded me of the foot bridge across to the campus about a 1/2  mile further up the drainage ditch.  Had a very nice peaceful run.  Achilies and R foot arch hurting, but not too bad.  did a 4/1 run/walk mostly although I skipped several of the walks - but never two in a row.  Pace ~ 10 min.  I didn't get out of the house quite as soon as I wanted to, so I only got 1hr 45 on the first run before PT.

PT - traction, no head twisting, and he had me do several exercises as well as taking some measurements.  The other thing he did was to put some tension on the neck then apply pressure to the 4th vertibra pushing it forward.  Interesting, and it did seem to buy me some more left turn mobility.  Although now (3:30pm) my upper traps and the knot there are burning as they usually do.

A man who works with his hands is a laborer.
A man who works with his hand and his brain is a craftsman.
A man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist.

Sat down to play piano just a bit.  I think of things differently when I play - gets me in touch with feelings.  I'm missing my son.  He called today to discuss brake lines for his car and should he go ahead and buy them.  He lives in Ruidoso - where I'd like to live, but I work here, and my daughter is depending on me to stay here for now and needs my help here.  I want to be here for her. I want to be there for him and for me.  Conflicting wants.

Whoo Hoo - over 600 miles on the bike this month!   I had to ride an extra mile on the way home today to make that happen.  I don't know why 600 miles is so significantly better than 599, but IT IS!   That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  

I actually almost had an IronMan type work out today.  I just could not justify staying in the pool any longer.  As it was I didn't get to work till 10:00am.  :(

List of stuff to do tonight: Dishes, Laundry, Take trash out, Pay Bills, Eat everything in the house (small children beware).

• Health data: Hours slept: 5.5
Bike
  • 1h 40m
  • 24.00 miles
  • 14.40 Mi/hr

Against the wind in the pouring rain.

Strength
  • 19m

• EXERCISE

Sets
    Min
    reps
    Max
    reps
    Min
    wt.(lb)
    Max
    wt.(lb)
  • ABS - Advanced Obliques
  • ABS - Bicycles
  • ABS - Crunches
  • ABS - Crunches, Reverse
  • CORE - Elbow Bridge (FB)
  • CORE - Pushups (FB)
  • CORE - Reverse HyperExtension (FB)
  • CORE - Side Planks
  • CORE - Superman
  • CORE - Superman (FB)

Everything has it's own perfection, be it higher or lower in the scale of things; and the perfection of one is not the perfection of another. - John Henry Newman 

We're all partners in this dance.  Each move we mak affect the whole pattern, and we respond to the changes made by one another. - Casey and Vanceburg

After too many late nights and too many early mornings, my body said, "No, don't get up."  this morning.  So, because I was dead tired, and my left hip is hurting, and 2 hr run tomorrow, and group tonight - I deemed that the 45 minute run this morning was not as important as rest.  I feel a whole lot better, but didn 't make it to work till 10:00.  Pissed about that. 

I'm NOT impressed by my PT.  he focused solely on the neck, did some manipulation, and some traction.  I'm not sure it helped, and he did not seem interested at all in possible roots of the problem being somewhere other than the neck.  I'll give him one more shot, then see if I can find some one better.  Oh, and btw the neck/ back is more sore and tense this morning.  It's still not horrible, but nagging pain for a long time can make one cranky - not that I'd ever be cranky, just sayin.

Group ride tonight.  Just the hardcore showed up at all.  We all stood around for about 20 minutes debating the weather.  It was obviously raining toward where we ride, and it had been raining ant the streets were wet at the LBS.  At about 5 minutes  till ride time a few folks started putting their bikes up and it looked like no one at all was going to ride.  I decided the lightening looked very far away, and it was probably going to rain.  I already skipped one workout today, so I decided to ride.  Mike said he'd go, and Tom who was on his mountain bike said he'd ride to the first turn off with us then head back.  The rest of the group went to Rosa's for dinner and we headed out.   We rode through sprinkling rain, misting rain, hard big drops rain and driving rain.  It started and stopped a couple of times.  The wind was kicking up some as well and it was a bit challenging, but there was no one fast to chase so I just went as hard as I wanted.  After about 45 minutes it cleared up, and the rest of the ride was pretty good.  I wanted to do the loop, but Mike really didn't so we turned around and came back at 1788.  12 to 14 mph going out, and 20 to 25 coming back.  I do like tail winds.  Rode fairly hard and enjoyed it.  On the very much plus side, before the rain it was in the middle 90's and very humid.  When we rode past the churches the sign said 70 degrees - Awesome!

• Health data: Hours slept: 9
Run #1
  • 50m
  • 4.62 miles
  • 10m 49s /Mi

Not real sure about mileage. To pool via 1.5 laps parcouse + hill *2. Easy to tempo pace. HR ~140

Swim
  • 35m 30s
  • 1750.00 yards
  • 02m 02s /100 yards

200wu 200 strokes 250,400,200, 3x100 ebeh

Run #2
  • 20m
  • 2.00 miles
  • 10m /Mi

run home from pool - no walking - sort of slow -achilies and arch of R foot hurt

Doubts creeping in.  Can I really do this?
oh, PT evaluation today.  Should be interesting.  I'd sure like to rid myself of this pain in the neck/back.  perhaps even find some ballance between R and L sides.  We'll see how good this guy is.

• Health data: Hours slept: 6.5
Run
  • -----
  • 1.14 miles
  • -----
Bike
  • 30m
  • 6.00 miles
  • -----

mtn bike commute to work

To lose weight, don't focus on "loosing weight."  Instead focus on your perfect weight.  Feel the feelings of your perfect weight, and you will usmmon it to you.  The Secret

One must participate in desired changes - Our good is demonstrated much sooner when we realize that it's an inside job. - Ruth Deaton

The plan calls for a 30 minute bike today.  I was planning to get up and do the swim workout I missed Saturday - but....

Plan to run tonight - we'll see.

Dinner: Chicken Parmisan (vegie) on a bed of spinach leaves with artichoke hearts, garbanzo beans, yellow bell pepper and tomatoes.  Balsamic vinegarett salad dressing.  French bread with garlic butter for dipping.

2008 totals
Bike:159h 50m 57s  - 2277.09 Mi
Run:62h 08m 59s  - 335.47 Mi
Swim:28h 36m 25s  - 82462 Yd
Strength:15h 57m
Skiing:77h 08m 30s
Stretching:32m
Walking:1h 20m

2007 totals
Bike:185h 59m 04s  - 2631.14 Mi
Run:55h 51m 03s  - 281.03 Mi
Swim:33h 10m 04s  - 84292.01 Yd
Strength:50h 08m
Golf:5h 15m
Hiking:2h 00m
Inline Skating:14m
Rollerblade:35m
Skiing:231h 50m
Snow Shoveling:40m
Walking:2h 35m

My current 2008 mileages have just about surpassed all of 2007.  

I'm spending too much time on BT. - but I'm enjoying it!

• Health data: Hours slept: 8
Run
  • 1h 31m
  • 7.58 miles
  • 12m 01s /Mi

I thought this was 8 miles and was really happy with my run. If it's only 7.5 then this was a real slow run. at the first 1/2 mile I was just over 10 min pace and that's with warm up. after that I ran 4/1 r/w. and kept the effort very easy concentrating on a fairly high cadence

Bike
  • 30m
  • 6.00 miles
  • -----

commute to work

Adapt. Modify. Don't panic.  Invent new goals. - from how to have a mid-life crisis. Hugh O'Neil 

purpose today: long slow run.  It wasn't so long in terms of miles, but was a good 1.5 hrs at my "marathon" pace.  I guess Ive got to learn to run faster.  I'm happy with keeping the effort very low and keeping cadence up.  Just at the end my achilies were starting to hurt a little.  I feel good though, because I felt like I'd lost all the ability to do a longer run, and everything was ok.  Minor aches and pains, especially when starting.  I've got to keep doing the 1/2 hour each night.

This afternoon, more paperwork at the office, then groc store, and chores.

• Health data: Hours slept: 8

jashac's Training Log

August 2008 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
      1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Time
Distance
Time