Sunny
High 87F
Low 66F

Saturday - November 6

Run
  • 7h 12m
  • 26.20 miles
  • 16m 29s /Mi

walked the first 15 minutes according to plan. ankle ok. Started running 3.30 walk .30. Kept that up for a while then realized it was too agressive for the first segment. Switched to 2.30/.30
Kept that up to mile 13 turn around.

About mile 15 my left knee (same side as injured ankle) started hurting. I was able to run for a while longer, but shortly thereafter I could not run at all. After a while longer it hurt to walk as well.

Swim
  • 1h 15m
  • 4000.00 yards
  • -----

Great swim. Enjoyed starting with the BT guys. Current on the cross leg was very fun pushing me forward every third stroke or so

Bike
  • 6h 43m
  • 114.00 miles
  • 16.97 Mi/hr

time includes stops. Great eaxy ride. I let it out a little a couple of times, but I thought it was a very good ride, well within my abilites. The wind was a little annoying, but I ride in it all the time. It bothered lots of the other athletes though. I stopped three times to pee/rest stop.

Now it's time to put all that training to use.  Here we go!

Good race!  Although I'm not happy with my time, I excecuted most of my plan, and adjusted where I had to. 

Swim was very good and was fun. 

The bike was a lovely ride throught the pretty Florida country side with lots of fun people, complicated slightly by some wind. 

First half of the run was very pleasing because my body did what it was supposed to, and the ankle held up fine.  The second half of the run was brutal with knee and foot pain and very cold windy conditions.  I did not sit down at 6 and 13 miles as planned - no one had chairs. 

I was very happy to finish, and felt like I really earned the finish line.  I wish the run had come off better, but I feel like I was under trained for it.  Getting injured four weeks out hurt, but the plan I feel, was short on long runs and relied to much on the last four weeks.

• RACE DAY: Ironman Florida

Friday - November 5

Run
  • 30m
  • 1.50 miles
  • 30m /Mi

Logging my walk down the beach and back. Quite chilly and beautiful this morning.

Swim
  • 15m
  • 300.00 yards
  • 05m /100 yards

Maybe we swam 300 yards. The time is a guess too. Mostly we swam out past the breakers, then a little farther, then across then back in, then out through the breakers, and body surfed back in. Sue showed us how to ride the waves then Laura an I played in the waves for a little while. I would have liked to just stay and play a bunch, it was so fun! Decided not to wear myself out or get hurt today. The waves seemed pretty big to me today - I'm guessing 2 to maybe even 3 feet. Way fun. strong long shore current though. Made walking tough.

Pretty chilly this morning.

Plan for today:
Swim
pack race bags
eat,
get my invoices done.
drop off bike and transition bags.
Stay off my feet as much as possible.

Find some one who has a room at the Boardwalk to hang out with tomorrow before the race.   I learned at Red River ride that it's much better to stay inside where it's warm till the last minute rather than hang outside and get cold.

Ankle is still iffy in my opinion.  it hurts on and off mostly depending on nothing really.  Thank you Sue for looking at it this morning.  How many docs do you know who make house calls to the beach?

My plan is to swim, bike, the walk the first 15 minutes of the run.  Then run a little and see what happens.  If the run works well, take it real easy on the first 6 miles, sit down for at least 30 seconds.  Run/walk easy the next 6 miles, rest. Repeat for the third 6 mi, then give it all I've got on the last 6 miles.

Backup plan #1 walk.
Goal make it to the finish line as fast as I can without permanently injuring myself.

I think my ankle is going to be good and I'll run a 5 hr marathon.    That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Enjoyed visiting with Jule - the slayer's wife on the beach while he swam this morning.

PM: Got the bike and transition bags turned in.  Still worrying about being warm enough on the run.   It's quite chilly in the wind this afternoon at 3:30, about the time I should be at mile two or three.  But there's supposed to be much less wind tomorrow.  With no wind it would be real nice.  To get more clothes, or not?  that is the question.  I was happy with my choices untill I walked back to the hotel from the race venue.

Walked through the maze that is transition here this year.  Saw several BT folks again.  Glad I wore my shirt.

So last night I'm just ready to get in bed - early, you know the night before the night-before-the-race.  And the fire alarm goes off.  They goofed with the thing for almost an hour before they finally got it shut off.  Arg.  Had a nice nap this morning though.  Just calculated that I ought to get up at 3:am to be at transition at 5:am.  Suppose I ought to be mixing my nutrition and not writing on BT.

Haven't done my invoices yet either.

• Health data: Hours slept: 7

Thursday - November 4

Bike
  • 57m
  • 15.00 miles
  • 15.79 Mi/hr

Short ride out just past the bridge and back. Mostly along beachfront road and through the swirling winds past the condos. 65 degrees in the sunshine was very comfortable. I never shed my windbreaker, but would have if I was riding any farther. Mostly took it easy. Kathy's front derauler wasnt' shifting so she headed back to find a mechanic after 1.5 miles.

13 to 15 mph on the way out, and 20+ mph on the way back.
I did chase a guy for a little bit just to get a little intensity.

Swim
  • 35m
  • 1700.00 yards
  • 02m 04s /100 yards

estimated time. Forgot to stop the watch when we got out of the water.

Great one loop swim with the BT guys. We had a good group of probably 10 to 15 guys and gals. Strong swimmers mostly and we found most of the bouys going out and stopping at each one. We swam across, and stopped, then eagle eye Glen saw the corner marker bouy, so we swam out to it. At that point we decided to just take it all the way in.

I saw a jelly fish - finally a aqua-life sighting. It was real pretty, just bigger than a softball and going the opposite direction from me. A guy on the beach said those don't sting. It was pretty anyway. Saw some guls while I was swimming too.

Nice easy swim, but not too easy, and it was an easy distance as well. From the time we entered the water, till we were on the boardwalk was an hour. But we stood in the surf and talked a little, and stood on the beach and talked too.

Ankle was still not right today so I visited the massage tent.  Ben Keys took good care of me, and added some kinestesiology (sp?) tape which he said to take off before the race.  He worked on my calves and all the facia that attaches.  I felt fabuous afterwards.  We'll see how it feels tomorrow.

Tomorrow, early swim then pack transition bags, and drop bags and bike in transition area.  Plan equipment, especially clothes.  The predicted cold weather has me, and most of the others rethinking what they'll wear.  I noticed I brought my cold weather golves - good.  but what will I actually wear.  I'll sleep on it and decide tomorrow.

Got to meet more BT folks today including Jen.  It's tough for me to remember names, especially of the folks I haven't been corrresponding with up to this point.  Great folks, and it was fun to go to dinner with the BT guys and gals.  I am getting to know several more, and recognise others.  Hopefully tomorrow I'll get more names connected with faces.

• Health data: Hours slept: 8

Wednesday - November 3

Swim
  • 30m
  • 1500.00 yards
  • 02m /100 yards

More or less. Time is close, but I'm sure we didn't do the distance. Swam with Kathy, Glen, and Eric. out, across and back. Across was tough because the waves kept breaking across my head putting water in my mouth. OUt and back was ok. the waves were running 2-3 feet, and I'm glad because I was got to play in them and waves and swell are things I was not comfortable with.

today. complete putting bike together done
find some air for the tires - found some, it's not in the tires yet.
ride one hour, hopefully before it rains- Lightening, then heavy rain - drove the ride course
get registered - done
lunch with BT group - well done

Get my invoices done and in the mail

stay off my feet. - not done
Ice/heat for ankle.

Drive bike course with Glen? - done - lots of nice smooth road out there.  Pine trees are pretty
Trip to Walmart for stuff I didn't get last night or though of since then.

Glen said it today and I know exactly what he means.  when you're here with all these fit guys and gals, and all the folks out running and riding tri bikes, and all the folks in wetsuits heading out into the Gulf, you just feel like you fit in.

and if you want to talk triathon or training this is the place.  I just feel like I belong here.  It's very flattering really.

Tuesday - November 2

Traveling to Panama City Beach Florida for Ironman Florida.  Wish me luck!

I'm there!  Stuck my feet in the Gulf, walked on the sand.  It's windy and grey, but the temperature isn't too cold, as a matter of fact it was down right balmy when I got off the airplane.

Found myself some lunch and got settled in the condo. 
Think I'll unpack and put the bike together.
Read the athlete's instructions again and plan tomorrow
Meeting KathyG for swim at 7:00.  It could be chilly.
I'm excited.
May have dinner at Pinapple Willies, it's right next door and appears to be open

Probably check the IMFL thread first.
No cell service in the condo, but I've got great internet service.

• Health data: Hours slept: 6

Monday - November 1

Let each resolve to be true to himself, true to his inner light, true to the Truth as he understands it.

Rest day today.

155 lbs as of today - Holloween candy is evil.

Bummed that my ankle is a little sore.  No more running until Saturday afternoon at about 3:00 if the swim and bike go according to plan.

Bike is packed up, and everything else is layed out ready to be put in the suitcases.

Need to check KathyG's list to see if I need to pack anything else. 

Sunday - October 31

Strength
  • 20m

• EXERCISE

Sets
    Min
    reps
    Max
    reps
    Min
    wt.(lb)
    Max
    wt.(lb)
  • ABS - Advanced Obliques
  • ABS - Bicycles
  • ABS - Crunches
  • CHEST - pushups single leg
  • CORE - Elbow Bridge (FB)
  • CORE - Reverse HyperExtension (FB)
  • CORE - Side Planks
  • CORE - Superman
  • CORE - Superman (FB)
  • LEGS - Single leg raise front

decided to pack rather than ride. I need to get my invoices out today. a bit of core rather than riding and walking. ankle a bit sore today.

• Health data: Sick: 2 Hours slept: 8

jashac's Training Log

November 2010 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30    

Volume

Time
Distance