Sunny
High 76F
Low 53F

Thursday - October 17

Run #1
  • 58m
  • 5.44 miles
  • 10m 39s /Mi

1900 ft climbing. 10 - 11 m/m going up the hill, 9m/m going across, 7.30 to 8 coming down and wow, that's fun. Eased up after about two miles, don't want to hurt myself running faster than I usually do for a long time.
LT workout. 4 min at LT, one min walk. Did that for most of the run. Real running and it felt so good, especially the downhill part. Felt like I was flying.
Cool, clear, sun setting and moon rising over the mountains. Lovely, lovely, lovely.

Swim
  • 48m
  • 2515.31 yards
  • 01m 54s /100 yards

200 wu
4x50 drill
1200 continuous easy 'race' pace
4x100

foot cramped pretty bad near the end. Had to stop for a couple minutes. I was swimming those 100's medium hard, and pushed off the wall hard and it cramped.
A nice young lady joined me for a while, then one of the life guards got in and we swam circles. It was a welcome break from always swimming by myself.

Run #2
  • 18m
  • 1.62 miles
  • 11m 06s /Mi

T2 6.37 Just an easy jog home from the pool under the full moon. tried my run light a couple times just to make sure it's working ok. I'll need it in the state park.

16 Days until IMFL

I got 9 hours of paying work done today with divine guidance.  Got part of the car loaded, and the neighbor came over and got some more of the furniture.  I still have to pack up the kitchen and utility room.  Loading stuff in the car sure helps me feel like this thing might work out.

I still believe it will all work out somehow.

Great work out this evening.  Running through the sunset and into the darkness reminds me of running in Florida.  I am always worried about skipping a morning workout in favor of doing it later in the day, but it's worked out twice this week.  Looking forward to another long workout on Saturday - but only 5 hours not the 9 I did last Saturday.    IM training really warps your sense of time and distance.

Dinner and BT.  Huge plate of mixed vegetables and bow tie pasta and a chicken leg and thigh.  Dang my life is just plumb exciting.

Wednesday - October 16

Bike
  • 34m
  • 7.60 miles
  • 13.41 Mi/hr

Supposed to be an easy 30 min spin - recovery ride, so that's what I did. Thought I might put a little brick in there, but time is short, and I just ran last night. so that's it.

more cowboy wisdom:

The biggest liar you'll ever have to deal with probably watches you shave his face in the mirror every morning.

If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence, try orderin' somebody else's dog around.

Don't worry about bitin' off more'n you can chew.  Your mouth is probably a whole lot bigger'n you think.

That last one I really like.  Hope that works for me today, and I'm calling on divine guidance to help this whole thing work out.  The house, the work, the training, IMFL.  It's a bit overwhelming, so I'm asking for help, which I'm sure will come.

Today:  work. massage at 11:30, pick up groceries, load car for weekend trip so I can get stuff out of the house, and have a better idea of what I've got left to haul.  Need to clean out Utility room so that the painter can get that room primed before the weekend.  Dinner at Carol's house with friends at 6:30.  Yup that's about 3 days worth of stuff to do today.  I'm sure that what needs to happen will happen.

Tuesday - October 15

Run
  • 1h 26m
  • 7.94 miles
  • 10m 49s /Mi

Run to pool in a round about way to get 6.28 miles in 1:07. Cut it a little short because the pool closes at 8:00.

Nasty, nasty night. Started with pretty big wind. At one point though I was surrounded by beauty. The sunset on my right was lighting up the sky all in shades of red, and on my left the mountains were glowing red in the light of the sunset. So gorgeous. But then the wind picked up even more. When I left the house - gusts to 33 mph, during the run up to 45 mph. That kind of gust pretty much stops you in your tracks. But, but running downhill, with the wind, now that I can do! 265 ft of climbing. max speed 7.51

After the swim, just an easy run home in blinding dust storm and strong winds. The gravel blowing off the street was stinging my legs. Not too much fun, but I'm real pleased that I got my work out in and didn't blow it off.

Swim
  • 29m
  • 1531.06 yards
  • 01m 53s /100 yards

200 wu
4x50 drill
2x100
2x200
2x100 ebeh
200 cd and out of time.

Some joking with the life guards when we got out. There was a guy on the other end of the pool and apparently he whistled. I was ready to get out anyway, but I thought it was the guards. The young man told me he didn't blow the whistle but it was the guy. I told them that I thought maybe it was the young lady lifeguard, because she wanted me.... to get out of the pool. Timing of the pause was just right. Startled expressions, then laughter. It's too bad, but I don't think she wants me. :) A little fun to end the evening. I always enjoy visiting a little with the young staff.

More cowboy wisdom:

Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.

The easiest way to eat crow is while it's still warm.  The colder it gets, the harder it is to swaller.

If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop diggin'.

Wow what a day.  I skipped my workout this morning to get ahead of the carpet removal guys.  The across-the-street neighbor came over to take some of the furniture, and help me move stuff.  Then my cleaning ladies showed up.  I told them to please take any of the stuff that they wanted, and they were very pleased to look through the stuff and found a bunch that they wanted.

Anyway, we managed to get three bedrooms and the living room totally emptied out.  The carpet guys moved the bigger furniture, including the piano, couch, and a heavy old WWII era gray desk.  It's all in the carport now, and all the carpet is out.  The main part of the house is totally empty.  The kitchen and den have some stuff.  I did get a little pruning done in the yard while the carpet guys were finishing up.  Also managed to get through all but a 1/2 drawer of the file cabinet.  I still may be trying to keep too much stuff, but it's getting down to the very end.  The painter comes on Thursday.  One of my dad's friends wanted the kitchen table and thought she had a buyer for the car.  I spent a couple of hours figuring out what needs to be done to sell the car, downloading forms and filling them out.  It turns out that she misunderstood me and told him $1000 instead of $2000.  We were all a bit embarrassed and I'm sure he was disappointed.  I then spent an hour at the DMV to figure out that what they told me on the phone wasn't the best way to prepare to take care of the paperwork. - Cost me an hour but at least they didn't charge me anything.

And at the end of the day I managed to get my workout in.  Did you know that a package of peanut butter crackers, six oreo's, a few grapes, and a glass of water make an ok snack to go run on?

Monday - October 14

Bike
  • 1h 14m
  • 18.20 miles
  • 14.76 Mi/hr

Late start, got sidetracked doing stuff around the house, then bike had a flat. I'd rather change it in the house warm, no wind, pump. But still, that's one a ride since I got the new tires.

Supposed to be a LT training ride. Going out is uphill. I discovered after my 'warm up' where it just starts to get a little steeper, that I've been doing a LT workout every ride. Anyway I pushed hard on each uphill and spun out on the down hills. - good workout. Legs felt bad starting out, but after the first big climb they started feeling pretty strong.

1400 ft climbing. Traffic is much heavier at 8:00 than at 6:00. I've got to reclaim my IM dicipline and get up at 4:30 and to bed at 8:30. Unfortunately they're calling for rain on Wed - my next ride. I suppose summer is over here.

Max speed 31.4 - Lots of stop lights this morning. Was ok, fits right in with the LT training.

Run
  • 15m
  • 1.44 miles
  • 10m 25s /Mi

Little brick run. Good news, legs didn't feel so awful as they did on Sunday after the bike. Pretty much ran the whole thing. Two very short walk breaks, calves were getting real tight at about one mile. Did one strides at about 1/2 mile. short walk, then speed picked up from 11m/m to 10m/m

Cowboy wisdom:  Don't squat with your spurs on.

Don't never interfere with something that ain't botherin' you none.

Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

Real pleased with workout today.  Legs felt good on the bike, and after 1/2 mile felt pretty good on run.

I stopped at Whole Foods to see if the massage person was there yesterday. Got an awesome 20 min on my calves, and an appointment for this Wednesday at her office.  She's a cyclist - was excited to have an athlete to work on.  I'm excited to get a massage this week.  She was pretty good - a little intense, but I wonder why her schedule is totally open.

Lots of progress on the house yesterday - desk cleaned off, most of two file drawers gone through and emptied.  Going fast on this is hard, but I'm out of time.  Neighbors came over last night and took away some stuff, and ooh'd and ahh'd over the bathrooms.  I may have found someone to do the the utility room floor.

Not counting days yet, but it's less than three weeks till IMFL. 

Sunday - October 13

Strength
  • 15m

Active all day moving boxes and stuff around the house. Cleaning out files .
now checking this logging device to see if I can access stuff with one click as advertized.

Be able to be alone.  Lose not the advantage of solitude, and the society of thyself. - Thomas Browne

Ok, so they've changed the dialog box again?  -- not so bad

I've spent plenty of time alone this summer.  More than usual.  I'm thankful for my new friends here is Albuquerque.  Mindi especially has invited me to several events, and pretty much kept me from being a total hermit.  And her friend Tim rode with me several times.  Because I was constantly planning to leave soon I didn't spend time searching out riding friends.  I did go to a couple of group rides that didn't pan out.  I'm ok by myself, but enough is enough.  And too much is not healthy.  Ski season coming, and I'm looking forward to spending time with ski friends and my kids.

Yesterday's ride was interesting.  I got to ride under the hot air balloons just after they had launched.  More than 100 in the sky at the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta.  Pretty cool.  Traffic - not quite as cool, but I made it through ok.  It really wasn't too bad, just a bit scarey.

Cleaned off my dad's desk top this morning.  This afternoon I've got to get through the file cabinet.  On Tuesday the carpet removal guys come and I want them to move all the furniture out to the carport.  I wonder what I'll do with the (probably broken) piano. 

Time for going through stuff and being reflective is over.  I love it here, but it's time for me to move on.  I have an interesting mood today.  I feel really good because of the mammoth work out yesterday. Well, except for a calf that is trying to cramp a bit.  But at the same time I'm sad.  Going through this stuff - all these boxes of papers and preparing to actually leave makes me sad. 

This afternoon I'm going to invite the good neighbors over to see if there's anything they want of all this stuff that neither my sister nor I can take.  Still struggling a bit with how to get it all out in time, and the stuff moved that has to move - all in time with a trip to Florida for IMFL.

Rest day today.  That seems like a good idea after a 9 hour workout yesterday.  Besides I've got enough to do at my Dad's house to fill several days.

• Health data: Hours slept: 9

Saturday - October 12

Bike
  • 6h 15m
  • 90.40 miles
  • 14.46 Mi/hr

Elapsed time: 6:50 Climbing 4800 ft. One flat, 10 min, one quick stop at the convenience store - 6 min, and every frikking red light on the last leg into town. Every one! It was quite chilly at 36 degrees when I started. My feet finally thawed out after three hours and the last big toe after 3 and a half.

Tried to keep it easy, but the climb to Placitas and the climb back up tramway are just too steep to spin easy. Overall a tougher ride than was called for and than I probably should have done. I did a little extra to try to make up for the flat and convenience store time. Felt pretty good coming off of the bike, but there were a couple of times I got behind a bit in nutrition. Ate a Cliff Bar at about 50 miles - the usual perpetuem and gels. Tried one Gu and it seemed to go down fine and not cause any problems.

Oh, and a strong wind in my face going out, started at 5-10 ended up before the turn around at 15 - 20. And when I get back to town? Right, shifted out of the South and now in my face for the last leg. This was a trying ride.

Run #1
  • 24m
  • 1.95 miles
  • 12m 18s /Mi

T1 12.50 . AND overcooking the bike showed on the run. I haven't been doing that many bricks either and this was ugly. I planned to run about 4-5 miles ending at the pool, but because I was running late, and I felt that the swim was a key workout, I went pretty much straight to the pool. Never got my legs really to cooperate.

On the plus side, I tried the run/walk alert feature of the Garmin, and it works like a charm.

Swim
  • 1h 31m
  • 4483.81 yards
  • 02m 02s /100 yards

T2 4.05
2500M continuous. Found my swim forever pace - It's slow but at least I found it.
Got out for 2 min to get a gel and some Gatorade. I was starting to get a headache.
1500 continuous
100 cool down and some other strokes. Ran out of time. They kicked us out at 4:00. But at least I got 4100 M

Run #2
  • 24m
  • 1.89 miles
  • 12m 41s /Mi

T3: 6.45 Slow but that felt much better. Pretty pooped out at the end. Walked a while and took two gels before starting run. Running pace 10.10 - 11. Run/walk 4/1

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

One man practicing sportsmanship is better than a hundred teaching it.

9 hour work out today.  Look out Florida here I come, ready or not.  But not as ready as in past years.  I'm really hoping the flat ride and the low altitude will help my slow, slow, slow self.  Not sure what to make of today's run.  I suppose I should do a brick run after each ride from now till the race.

The sun was shining through high windows in the pool area and hitting the bottom of the pool.  The patterns reminded me of the sun shining on the white sand in Florida.

Friday - October 11

Run
  • 24m
  • 1.64 miles
  • 14m 38s /Mi

Short walk twice around the park. Rest day today. Training for the walk parts of the marathon. Leaves are turning and the maples are bright red, cottonwood trees are showing yellow in the tops. It's just gorgeous.

34 degrees this morning in Albuquerque. Pretty chilly.

The great thing about getting older is that you don't loose all the other ages you've been. - Madeleine L'Engle

Isn't this true, and what an inspiration and a comfort.  I see young couples just starting with kids, and remember just what that was like for me.  I've had a life filled with wonderful experiences. 

Getting more and more excited about IMFL.  I haven't heard from my condo lady.  Soon I should contact her.  I don't want to jump the gun, but confirming all the arrangements now is probably a good idea.  I'm picturing the race during every workout now.  It's especially fun in the pool, because I love the white sands and salt water of the IMFL swim.  Watched YouTube videos again last night.  I'm getting pretty psyched. 

I read part of the Athlete's guide last night.  They've changed the nutrition they're offering on course this year.  They've gone from PowerBar gels to Gu.  Suppose I've got to find some and see how it works in training.  It's almost too late.  I'm already planning to carry my fluids and supplement with water from the aide stations.  That Perform they serve just doesn't agree with my system.

jashac's Training Log

October 2013 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
   1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31  

Volume

Time
Distance

Actual vs Planned