Sunny
High 84F
Low 65F

Tuesday - October 22

Run
  • 54m
  • 3.78 miles
  • 14m 17s /Mi

Tried to run. was supposed to be a tempo run. Legs, quads especially, were just too tired, so I decided to make it TED. Take-it Easy Day. I walked, trying to maintain a 15 min pace. Now that felt pretty good. Got to train the walk too because I'll be using it.

to the pool and back.
Gorgeous cool morning. my plan was to commune with nature and the universe, but with the legs hurting and thinking about walking I forgot. I passed a house at about 1 mile with a sign in the front yard: God Loves You. Ha! :) A reminder. So I spent the rest of the run communing with the trees. I experimented with extending my reach down to Ruidoso then all the way to my trees in Midland. Not sure I got there, but interesting. There was a lady walking with a lovely Labrador type of dog. I was, unconsciously, probably communicating with him, and as we passed he came over to say hi. She was embarrassed, but I had already been saying hi non vocally to him.
Great, great walk. Sunshine, blue,blue sky, and the leaves are changing colors.

Swim
  • 45m
  • 2405.95 yards
  • 01m 52s /100 yards

6x50 drill
2x500
2x100 ebeh
300 cd and strokes

11 days till IMFL

yup, I'm excited!

Not sure what I'm going to do. There doesn't seem to be a way to make the font any bigger.

Monday - October 21

Bike
  • 1h 10m
  • 15.00 miles
  • 12.86 Mi/hr

Cold today. I find it amusing that yesterday I ran 15 miles and today I rode 15 miles. Warmed up easy, rode hard up to the mountain, then pretty much rode easy the rest of the way. Felt like it ought to be easy after yesterday.
Another flat. I do not like these goatheads at all. I was lucky though, when I figured out that the tire was getting soft, I found a spot where the sun had just risen, so I got to be in the sunshine while changing the flat. Did I mention that it's cold outside today. Thermometer says 40 but it felt a lot colder than that.

12 Days till IMFL

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Misunderstandings - so easy.  We each listen through our own set of filters.  Even if you actually heard what they said, is it really what they meant?  I'm trying to learn to ask questions to confirm my understanding, and to speak more broadly and precisely.

Monday, the last week here before IMFL.  Painter's are scraping popcorn texture off of the living room ceiling.  Hard work and it's a mess, but most modern buyers don't like it, so down it comes.  I've got to get some work done this week - otherwise this month will be a waste as was last month.  Cannot afford that.

Sunday - October 20

Run
  • 2h 55m
  • 15.04 miles
  • 11m 38s /Mi

five laps around the lovely golf course in Ruidoso. 750 ft of climbing. Sunny, cool, and just plain beautiful. Ran about 1/2 a lap with a young lady who I caught only because her dog had to stop to potty. I was running about a 9 min pace to catch her then to keep up. Good thing it was on the downhill part of the loop. :)

Ran it on a 4/1 until the last lap which was 3:30/1:30. Practiced nutrition. I will need something extra in special needs. The two sandwiches worked out perfectly last year. I'll try to make them just a bit more nutritionally dense. Maybe something for my pocket to have at 18 miles?

I'm real happy with the amount of 9 and 10 min pace. Slower going up the hill, but still not too bad until the last lap. Had to stop for potty break at the end of the third lap.

13 Days till IMFL

Well the weekend went ok.  Got a full explorer of stuff hauled down to Ruidoso.  Missed the party on the mountain, but made it to Oktoberfest and saw a whole bunch of the people I wanted to see.  Got a good work out in on Saturday and the run today.  Feet hurt, but other than that I'm ok after the run.  A 45 minute nap didn't hurt any. 

Did you notice the font on the IMFL note keeps getting bigger?

Saturday - October 19

Bike
  • 2h 58m
  • 40.56 miles
  • 13.67 Mi/hr

Two false starts. 30 degrees when I woke up and I had a real hard time getting out there. Had to come back after 3 min for a rubber band for sweats, and at 19 minutes to take some clothes off. After that it was pretty good. cold north wind, but a sunny beautiful day. And I got the ride in. Left almost an hour late so I cut it short a bit, in favor of the swim which turned out to be almost a non-event.

Run
  • 21m
  • 1.88 miles
  • 11m 10s /Mi

Brick. Felt ok. Better than the others. Still geologically slow.

Swim
  • 30m
  • 1476.38 yards
  • 02m 02s /100 yards

this was supposed to be a 5000. I tried, but it just was not working. Was it the bowl of cereal before, or the bike/run, or just that I had a really tough day yesterday? Anyway there was this really fast guy in the lane next to me, so I played with chasing him on some shorter intervals.

Finally at about 1000 yards, I decided that I'd just had it and it wasn't working. did 350 of side stroke, back stroke and breast to 'cool down.'

I'm ok with quitting. I gave it a good shot, and it just wasn't happening.
I was an hour late getting there and I've got somewhere to be this afternoon.

Friday - October 18

...while we live in the eternal God who does not change, we are forever drawing from Him the possibility of the manifold expressions which give variety to existence and which make living interesting. - Ernest Holmes

Interesting quote in today's readings.  Big changes here today.  I'm preparing to spend only one or perhaps two more weeks here in this house of my boyhood.  That means cleaning out and packing up the utility room and the kitchen.  How many plates do I really need for a one week stay.  How much cleaning supplies do I really need, or household fixing tools?  Also should pack up my clothes.  I've accumulated almost a closet full over the last 8 months here.  I've almost got my car packed full to ferry stuff to the intermediate staging point in Ruidoso.  Next week I'll be able to carry a load to Midland, but I'll have to have room for the bike and all the tri stuff on it's way to IMFL.  I'm more at peace with moving as long as I don't stop and think about not being here again.

It's an absolutely gorgeous New Mexico morning, clear as a bell, the mountains look like you could touch them and the air is chilly with a warm sun.  Typical NM fall that I love so much.

Busy, busy.  The painter is here preparing walls, repairing window frames and that kind of stuff.

Will try to get a short walk in later.

Thursday - October 17

Run #1
  • 58m
  • 5.44 miles
  • 10m 39s /Mi

1900 ft climbing. 10 - 11 m/m going up the hill, 9m/m going across, 7.30 to 8 coming down and wow, that's fun. Eased up after about two miles, don't want to hurt myself running faster than I usually do for a long time.
LT workout. 4 min at LT, one min walk. Did that for most of the run. Real running and it felt so good, especially the downhill part. Felt like I was flying.
Cool, clear, sun setting and moon rising over the mountains. Lovely, lovely, lovely.

Swim
  • 48m
  • 2515.31 yards
  • 01m 54s /100 yards

200 wu
4x50 drill
1200 continuous easy 'race' pace
4x100

foot cramped pretty bad near the end. Had to stop for a couple minutes. I was swimming those 100's medium hard, and pushed off the wall hard and it cramped.
A nice young lady joined me for a while, then one of the life guards got in and we swam circles. It was a welcome break from always swimming by myself.

Run #2
  • 18m
  • 1.62 miles
  • 11m 06s /Mi

T2 6.37 Just an easy jog home from the pool under the full moon. tried my run light a couple times just to make sure it's working ok. I'll need it in the state park.

16 Days until IMFL

I got 9 hours of paying work done today with divine guidance.  Got part of the car loaded, and the neighbor came over and got some more of the furniture.  I still have to pack up the kitchen and utility room.  Loading stuff in the car sure helps me feel like this thing might work out.

I still believe it will all work out somehow.

Great work out this evening.  Running through the sunset and into the darkness reminds me of running in Florida.  I am always worried about skipping a morning workout in favor of doing it later in the day, but it's worked out twice this week.  Looking forward to another long workout on Saturday - but only 5 hours not the 9 I did last Saturday.    IM training really warps your sense of time and distance.

Dinner and BT.  Huge plate of mixed vegetables and bow tie pasta and a chicken leg and thigh.  Dang my life is just plumb exciting.

Wednesday - October 16

Bike
  • 34m
  • 7.60 miles
  • 13.41 Mi/hr

Supposed to be an easy 30 min spin - recovery ride, so that's what I did. Thought I might put a little brick in there, but time is short, and I just ran last night. so that's it.

more cowboy wisdom:

The biggest liar you'll ever have to deal with probably watches you shave his face in the mirror every morning.

If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence, try orderin' somebody else's dog around.

Don't worry about bitin' off more'n you can chew.  Your mouth is probably a whole lot bigger'n you think.

That last one I really like.  Hope that works for me today, and I'm calling on divine guidance to help this whole thing work out.  The house, the work, the training, IMFL.  It's a bit overwhelming, so I'm asking for help, which I'm sure will come.

Today:  work. massage at 11:30, pick up groceries, load car for weekend trip so I can get stuff out of the house, and have a better idea of what I've got left to haul.  Need to clean out Utility room so that the painter can get that room primed before the weekend.  Dinner at Carol's house with friends at 6:30.  Yup that's about 3 days worth of stuff to do today.  I'm sure that what needs to happen will happen.

jashac's Training Log

October 2013 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
   1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31  

Volume

Time
Distance

Actual vs Planned