High 100F
Low 76F
MONDAY
Sunny
High 99F
Low 75F

Friday - October 25

8 Days till IMFL

Painter - done, new light fixtures - installed, all the junk - organized and on the carport for charity pick up, Boxes and boxes of papers to go through - three small ones left.

Time to go see if I can get a job for the winter weekends, and then head off to Florida.  :)

Thursday - October 24

Run #1
  • 1h 19m
  • 7.25 miles
  • 10m 53s /Mi

Beautiful evening run up to Tramway, across, then through some neighborhoods and eventually down to the pool. 460 ft of climbing. That doesn't sound very big. but going up the hill my run pace was 10 decreasing to 12, and ending up at 14 min/mi on the steepest part. 10-11 min/ mi going across then 8 - 9:30 running down the hill for pretty much the second half. And that part was fun! feet and ankles hurt a little toward the end of that stuff.

Swim
  • 28m
  • 1476.38 yards
  • 01m 53s /100 yards

200 wu
4x50 drill
4x50 medium fast
2x100 medium fast at 1.57 and 1.58
200 strokes

sort of a strength / speed work out. Short and with a little more effort. - felt pretty good. Every one was complaining about how cold the water was. It was probably 81, maybe 80 at the lowest. Just funny to me, even though I like the water a little warmer than most competitive swimmers. They usually keep this pool at 84 to 85 degrees.

Run #2
  • 20m
  • 1.60 miles
  • 12m 30s /Mi

started off with a little run for just over 1/2 mile at 10 - 11 min/mi. Then decided I should walk the rest of the way to train the walk. I did ok at holding about a 15 - 16 min/mi pace. It takes some concentration. Ran the last few blocks at 10 min/mi

Perhaps next year I should spend some time getting some speed back.

9 Days till IMFL

but who's counting?

Magic is believing in yourself.  If you can do that you can make anything happen. - Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

Wow, how true is this?  Sometimes it's a leap of faith, but if you believe you can run an Ironman race, then make the things happen that lead to that goal, then you arrive at the start line ready, and amazing, magic things happen.  (I think I'm going to need a little magic on the run this year - fingers crossed )

Opted to sleep a bit this morning in keeping with my goal of close to 8 hours a night.  I'll try to get out this afternoon and run and swim.

Today - shredding to document destruction people.  Clean out more boxes of paper, notes, clippings.  Pack car with stuff that can fit.  Pack for Florida trip.  WORK on project.  Buy replacement lights for house.  Other things at Lowes.  Did I mention get some work done.  And not spend too much time on BT and looking at the beach webcam. 

Wednesday - October 23

10 days till IMFL

Don't mistake the spigot for the source

Totally cleaned out Kitchen this morning, including taking down a light over the sink that's been there since I was a child.  Frosted the cake - two layers with raspberry between, chocolate between them and chocolate on the outside.  yum!
  dinner tonight with a friend.  The painters were ready to start on the Kitchen when they arrived.  Brought re-enforcements.  I've got three guys working here today.  Keeping ahead of them is a challenge.

I thought I might go ride later in the afternoon, but keeping in front of the work crew precluded that. - UnPlanned Rest Day

Tuesday - October 22

Run
  • 54m
  • 3.78 miles
  • 14m 17s /Mi

Tried to run. was supposed to be a tempo run. Legs, quads especially, were just too tired, so I decided to make it TED. Take-it Easy Day. I walked, trying to maintain a 15 min pace. Now that felt pretty good. Got to train the walk too because I'll be using it.

to the pool and back.
Gorgeous cool morning. my plan was to commune with nature and the universe, but with the legs hurting and thinking about walking I forgot. I passed a house at about 1 mile with a sign in the front yard: God Loves You. Ha! :) A reminder. So I spent the rest of the run communing with the trees. I experimented with extending my reach down to Ruidoso then all the way to my trees in Midland. Not sure I got there, but interesting. There was a lady walking with a lovely Labrador type of dog. I was, unconsciously, probably communicating with him, and as we passed he came over to say hi. She was embarrassed, but I had already been saying hi non vocally to him.
Great, great walk. Sunshine, blue,blue sky, and the leaves are changing colors.

Swim
  • 45m
  • 2405.95 yards
  • 01m 52s /100 yards

6x50 drill
2x500
2x100 ebeh
300 cd and strokes

11 days till IMFL

yup, I'm excited!

Not sure what I'm going to do. There doesn't seem to be a way to make the font any bigger.

Monday - October 21

Bike
  • 1h 10m
  • 15.00 miles
  • 12.86 Mi/hr

Cold today. I find it amusing that yesterday I ran 15 miles and today I rode 15 miles. Warmed up easy, rode hard up to the mountain, then pretty much rode easy the rest of the way. Felt like it ought to be easy after yesterday.
Another flat. I do not like these goatheads at all. I was lucky though, when I figured out that the tire was getting soft, I found a spot where the sun had just risen, so I got to be in the sunshine while changing the flat. Did I mention that it's cold outside today. Thermometer says 40 but it felt a lot colder than that.

12 Days till IMFL

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Misunderstandings - so easy.  We each listen through our own set of filters.  Even if you actually heard what they said, is it really what they meant?  I'm trying to learn to ask questions to confirm my understanding, and to speak more broadly and precisely.

Monday, the last week here before IMFL.  Painter's are scraping popcorn texture off of the living room ceiling.  Hard work and it's a mess, but most modern buyers don't like it, so down it comes.  I've got to get some work done this week - otherwise this month will be a waste as was last month.  Cannot afford that.

Sunday - October 20

Run
  • 2h 55m
  • 15.04 miles
  • 11m 38s /Mi

five laps around the lovely golf course in Ruidoso. 750 ft of climbing. Sunny, cool, and just plain beautiful. Ran about 1/2 a lap with a young lady who I caught only because her dog had to stop to potty. I was running about a 9 min pace to catch her then to keep up. Good thing it was on the downhill part of the loop. :)

Ran it on a 4/1 until the last lap which was 3:30/1:30. Practiced nutrition. I will need something extra in special needs. The two sandwiches worked out perfectly last year. I'll try to make them just a bit more nutritionally dense. Maybe something for my pocket to have at 18 miles?

I'm real happy with the amount of 9 and 10 min pace. Slower going up the hill, but still not too bad until the last lap. Had to stop for potty break at the end of the third lap.

13 Days till IMFL

Well the weekend went ok.  Got a full explorer of stuff hauled down to Ruidoso.  Missed the party on the mountain, but made it to Oktoberfest and saw a whole bunch of the people I wanted to see.  Got a good work out in on Saturday and the run today.  Feet hurt, but other than that I'm ok after the run.  A 45 minute nap didn't hurt any. 

Did you notice the font on the IMFL note keeps getting bigger?

Saturday - October 19

Bike
  • 2h 58m
  • 40.56 miles
  • 13.67 Mi/hr

Two false starts. 30 degrees when I woke up and I had a real hard time getting out there. Had to come back after 3 min for a rubber band for sweats, and at 19 minutes to take some clothes off. After that it was pretty good. cold north wind, but a sunny beautiful day. And I got the ride in. Left almost an hour late so I cut it short a bit, in favor of the swim which turned out to be almost a non-event.

Run
  • 21m
  • 1.88 miles
  • 11m 10s /Mi

Brick. Felt ok. Better than the others. Still geologically slow.

Swim
  • 30m
  • 1476.38 yards
  • 02m 02s /100 yards

this was supposed to be a 5000. I tried, but it just was not working. Was it the bowl of cereal before, or the bike/run, or just that I had a really tough day yesterday? Anyway there was this really fast guy in the lane next to me, so I played with chasing him on some shorter intervals.

Finally at about 1000 yards, I decided that I'd just had it and it wasn't working. did 350 of side stroke, back stroke and breast to 'cool down.'

I'm ok with quitting. I gave it a good shot, and it just wasn't happening.
I was an hour late getting there and I've got somewhere to be this afternoon.

jashac's Training Log

October 2013 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
   1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31  

Volume

Time
Distance

Actual vs Planned