Sunny
High 76F
Low 53F

Wednesday - October 30

Swim
  • 45m
  • 1760.00 yards
  • 02m 33s /100 yards

Most of one loop of the IMFL swim course. Time includes stops to regroup. Very easy swim till the last little leg coming back in.

Saw two baby sting rays, a few jellyfish and thousands of little fish I huge schools. So gorgeous!

Bike
  • 1h 20m
  • 16.00 miles
  • 12.00 Mi/hr

Ride the IMFL run course with two loops in the park.
Super easy ride mostly to make sure the bike was functioning correctly.

Tuesday - October 29

Monday - October 28

Five days till IMFL! !!

dragging again today.  At least I got a massage in.

Took care of some business at the office, and now at 2:00 I'm off to the house to take my bike apart, pack it then pack the rest of my stuff.  Should be easy yes?

10:00 pm  Packed!  The bike and big suitcase are in the car.  Tomorrow I head off to the Airport at 5:30am on my way to PCB.  See you there!  Hope I've got everything.  Judging by the weight of the suitcase, I do.

Sunday - October 27

Bike
  • 1h 50m
  • 30.00 miles
  • 16.36 Mi/hr

forgot to turn on the Garmin till I was out there a way. Bike computer stopped working for a while. Still I know the route distance. I was riding actually kind of fast, lots of 18 to 20 with some 22 on the way back. not much wind today. Stopped twice to text my kids. Stopped and rerouted to ride past the house my son has made an offer on, and stopped to visit with my daughter on the way back to the house, so who knows what the actual ride time was.

Nice ride 70 degrees and the traffic on Sunday afternoon really was light, and I hit it perfectly.

After the first bit I really enjoyed it. Focused on riding a T2 type of effort in the aerobars. We have good riding out here. For the main part of the ride it's 6 miles between stop lights. Much more continuous riding than in Albuquerque.

having a real hard time getting going today.  I was trying to blame it on nutrition yesterday or maybe the cold swim, but it finally dawned on me that I was up at 5:00 and didn't hit the sack until midnight.  So I took a nap. 

Today:Laundry, unload the car, unpack, 2 hr bike, start packing for Ironman Florida.

update: got the laundry mostly done, the car unloaded and the bike ride done.  Dinner with my daughter and we had a good visit.  No packing or laying out of stuff.  I have only tomorrow to get it done - I leave Tuesday morning at 6:50 for Florida.  :)

Saturday - October 26

Run
  • 45m
  • 3.76 miles
  • 11m 58s /Mi

Forgot to pack a running shirt where I could get to it, so (gasp) I ran topless at Bottomless Lakes State Park. I like to start on the wetlands trail. Huge rains last night and the wetlands were beautiful. Lots of clear water and foliage. Only saw one bird - might have been a small hawk, but I'm not sure. Lovely cool afternoon in the mid 70's with a fairly strong north wind but the sun was warm.

Focused on keeping it easy. Achilles did not hurt. Pretty much nothing hurt. A bit slow that's all.

Swim
  • 53m
  • 3000.00 yards
  • 01m 46s /100 yards

COLD. The water was quite chilly after my run. Strong north wind, that I though would blow the warm water toward the starting end, but it was pretty chilly last night and this morning. That combined with the rain and hail I suppose made it cooler. not too bad once I got in. I had planned to do five laps, but stopped after four. My fingers and toes were quite numb, and I just thought it was a good idea. Discovered when I got out and got my wetsuit off that I was shivering. I had a cold headache too. good thing I got out when I did. I was a bit off balance too. Interesting - from the cold, or from simply swimming for an hour straight?

Going across was challenging with the waves coming at me from a slight angle. On the third lap I finally got the timing down and stroked with the wave timing and breathing got easier. Coming back was almost like body surfing, easy to breath and it felt like the waves were pushing me. Also the sun was directly in front of me which made sighting super easy - all I had to do was swim toward the light, and it made the bubbles off my hands glisten and sparkle. I practiced breathing on both sides in spite of the waves and sighting.

Stopped to visit with three young men when I got out. They wanted to know how far, and how fast. A few people asked if I was the guy doing laps out there. That's kind of cool. The young men asked about why, and I told them about Ironman. They were impressed. That's kind of rewarding for an old guy like me.

7 days till IMFL

I did the ski school hiring clinic, had second breakfast with friends, drove to Bottomless, ran, swam, then drove the rest of the way to Midland. 

Tomorrow will be unpack, laundry, and repack.  Need a 2 hour ride, then I can disassemble the bike and pack it.  I've already got a flat.  Those stickers in Albuquerque.  I may put a new front tire on.  I've had 8 or 9 flats with that tire, and even though it's brand new - only 7 or 8 rides it still might be good to go to the race with a new one.

Friday - October 25

8 Days till IMFL

Painter - done, new light fixtures - installed, all the junk - organized and on the carport for charity pick up, Boxes and boxes of papers to go through - three small ones left.

Time to go see if I can get a job for the winter weekends, and then head off to Florida.  :)

Thursday - October 24

Run #1
  • 1h 19m
  • 7.25 miles
  • 10m 53s /Mi

Beautiful evening run up to Tramway, across, then through some neighborhoods and eventually down to the pool. 460 ft of climbing. That doesn't sound very big. but going up the hill my run pace was 10 decreasing to 12, and ending up at 14 min/mi on the steepest part. 10-11 min/ mi going across then 8 - 9:30 running down the hill for pretty much the second half. And that part was fun! feet and ankles hurt a little toward the end of that stuff.

Swim
  • 28m
  • 1476.38 yards
  • 01m 53s /100 yards

200 wu
4x50 drill
4x50 medium fast
2x100 medium fast at 1.57 and 1.58
200 strokes

sort of a strength / speed work out. Short and with a little more effort. - felt pretty good. Every one was complaining about how cold the water was. It was probably 81, maybe 80 at the lowest. Just funny to me, even though I like the water a little warmer than most competitive swimmers. They usually keep this pool at 84 to 85 degrees.

Run #2
  • 20m
  • 1.60 miles
  • 12m 30s /Mi

started off with a little run for just over 1/2 mile at 10 - 11 min/mi. Then decided I should walk the rest of the way to train the walk. I did ok at holding about a 15 - 16 min/mi pace. It takes some concentration. Ran the last few blocks at 10 min/mi

Perhaps next year I should spend some time getting some speed back.

9 Days till IMFL

but who's counting?

Magic is believing in yourself.  If you can do that you can make anything happen. - Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

Wow, how true is this?  Sometimes it's a leap of faith, but if you believe you can run an Ironman race, then make the things happen that lead to that goal, then you arrive at the start line ready, and amazing, magic things happen.  (I think I'm going to need a little magic on the run this year - fingers crossed )

Opted to sleep a bit this morning in keeping with my goal of close to 8 hours a night.  I'll try to get out this afternoon and run and swim.

Today - shredding to document destruction people.  Clean out more boxes of paper, notes, clippings.  Pack car with stuff that can fit.  Pack for Florida trip.  WORK on project.  Buy replacement lights for house.  Other things at Lowes.  Did I mention get some work done.  And not spend too much time on BT and looking at the beach webcam. 

jashac's Training Log

October 2013 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
   1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31  

Volume

Time
Distance

Actual vs Planned