THURSDAY
Sunny
High 64F
Low 41F
Bike
  • 1h 11m
  • 17.30 miles
  • 14.62 Mi/hr

Elevation gain 1000 ft. 7 min warm up, then 3x 30 second sprints, easy in between. then 4x60 second sprints (as best I could do given the trail and traffic and route). After that I sprinted in a big gear off of each stop light for the next few. Then I rode easy out to the turn around. Got to see the balloons in the sky. International balloon fiesta is here and there must have been at least 100. On Sunday they launched 500. Pretty impressive.

Good ride. Dressed ok for 53 degrees. I do love riding my bike. This is the first time I've really done a workout with the sprints in it. Pretty easy here because the first 20 minutes is directly up hill. Usually at 8 - 10 mph.

Use your head!  It's the little things that count. 

We should not hesitate to express our appreciation for people, things and events. - Ernest Holmes

Great ride.  Good progress on the house this morning.  Also had a one hour WebEx meeting.  The internet  can sure be useful.  Cleaning lots of stuff out.  My sister left last night with everything that she decided she could fit in their truck, and is not coming back.  So at this point it's up to me, and I don't need to be saving anything for her next visit.  She was unable to take a foot locker that she wanted.  I'm going to take it to Ruidoso for her to pick up next time she comes to visit.  Gradually adding things to it that she might want, or said she wanted but they didn't have room for.  The lady who's been helping me clean said they were going to miss me when I was gone.  I was surprised, but thanked her.

I've decided to skip one trip to Midland that I was planning before IMFL.  I'll try to get the house done, then go to Midland, then pretty much directly to Florida.  Hope that works out.  Talked to my bike shop today to make sure I could borrow the bike suitcase to carry my bike in.  That's arranged.

Run #1
  • 40m
  • 3.64 miles
  • 10m 59s /Mi

Run to pool. just before the Jr high, 3x30 sec building to sprint. At the Jr High track3x220 @ z3, 1x440 at z3 with easy jog 220 between.

Ok, all that wonderfulness I felt the other day. just not there today, although starting out the run did feel pretty good.

Swim
  • 38m
  • 1913.82 yards
  • 01m 59s /100 yards

lats sore from pull ups yesterday, and not a ton of energy. Finally gave up at 45 min total time and 1750 M
200 easy wu
5x50 drill
6x200
100 cd

Run #2
  • 21m
  • 1.68 miles
  • 12m 30s /Mi

Easy run back home. walked the last few blocks visiting with a neighbor.

Do you have the patience to wait till your mud settles and the water is clear?  Can you remain unmoving till the right action arises by itself? - Lao Tzu

I'd have to say not very well today.  I feel like I need to push forward and make this move happen.  Sacrificing work today to work-out massage, and clean out house.  Work again tomorrow, although I feel guilty.  And I'm still doing month end accounting, not real work.  On the plus side, my sister is leaving tomorrow morning, so my schedule will be my own.  What will I do with it?

Pretty little white butterflies all around outside playing on the flowering plants.

Run
  • 36m
  • 2.13 miles
  • 16m 54s /Mi

A little 30 min walk substituted for a 30 min bike. Too lazy to get dressed.

Don't give up five minutes before the miracle. -
Sister's here, but only for a couple of days to pack up some stuff and haul it to her house.  I was hoping they would come down and spend some time helping me go through these boxes of papers. 

Well, it looks like it's going to be up to me.  I can do that.  Timing is still a problem.  I suppose I'll just ask for divine guidance and do what I can.  The painter can show up late in the week that I wanted him.  That means I'll have to come back here for a few days before IMFL.

Maybe it will just have to be after IMFL.  I don't like that idea.  I need to finish this little project.

Run #1
  • 35m
  • 3.19 miles
  • 10m 58s /Mi

Wow, this little run actually felt like a run. To the pool - with a little extra and back. Supposed to be an easy run. Was about 1/2 mile into it when I remembered to go back and get my towel and goggles.

Easy, and not only a sub 12 min pace overall, but a sub 11 min pace, and it felt good. Maybe all this training is actually paying off. Maybe it's the endorphins. :)

Swim
  • 31m
  • 1585.74 yards
  • 01m 57s /100 yards

Water felt cold today. And thick, but I focused mostly on swimming easy and streamlined. Bilateral breathing was pretty easy, and I was surprised at a pretty much 2 min/ 100M pace in spite of swimming easy. I've noticed this before. Need to remember it on race day.
200 wu
4x50 drill
2x200
150 strokes.

Run #2
  • 18m
  • 1.66 miles
  • 10m 50s /Mi

Easy run home. Stopped for a minute to watch the kids in the skate/bike park. Some amazing athletes in there.

Again the run felt super easy.

Bike
  • 1h 07m
  • 17.40 miles
  • 15.58 Mi/hr

I didn't plan on the sun being so carressingly warm, or the air so refreshingly cool, or the bike rolling so easy. So the 45 min ride became an hour and 12 minutes of... pretty much bliss. Clear, clear air and views of the mountains, and just an incredible wonderful ride. THIS is why I train for Ironman, so I can go ride when it's so wonderful.

I really had a hard time turning around, even though I had gone almost twice as far as the plan called for. It would have been gorgeous to just ride on and on. In my mind I know I would have run out of energy pretty soon, but in my heart I just wanted to ride.

950 ft elevation gain.

I have not written unto you because ye know not the truth, but because ye know it, and that no lie is of the truth. - I John 2:21.

Exhausted.  Have way too much to do.  I have loyalties to myself for training and maintenance, to my clients to do the work I've promised them, and to my sister and family to get out of this house.  Time is running out to get it all done by mid October to make it back to Midland so that I can journey off to Florida for IMFL.  Conflicting demands on my time.  What do I choose not to do?  John 2:21 says I know the answer.  Perhaps I should meditate on that. 

In spite of 9.5 hrs of sleep last night, I'm still tired.  Perhaps part of it is thinking about all I've got to do. Perhaps part of it is knowing that I've got to finally let go. 

Found some of the papers my mother had written when she was in college here, and her citizenship papers.  I sure wish I knew more about her life.  What was it like growing up in pre WWII Germany?  What was her life like during the war?  What was it like for her to come out to the Wild West after growing up in the midst of class and civilization?

Swim
  • 1h 16m
  • 4483.81 yards
  • 01m 41s /100 yards

Determined to do the whole set, but ended up skipping the last 500. Just not interested any more, and feet were starting to get cramps again.
200 wu
4x50 drill
7 x 500 on 15 to 20 seconds rest
200 assorted strokes. Feet cramping.

Getting in the water before some other big exercise sure makes a difference.

Bike
  • 2h 50m
  • 41.50 miles
  • 14.65 Mi/hr

2081 feet of climbing. I forgot to take into account the tire changing time when I turned around. Also riding up the long uphill took less time than I thought it would. Either I'm getting stronger, or it was the tail wind. I'm sure it was me. Couldn't have been the 15- 20 mph tail wind. :)

Lovely afternoon, quite cool but sunny and ever so clear. The mountains looked like you could reach out and touch them, as did the hills on the far side of the valley. I rode up then back down the Rio Grande River valley. There are ancient cottonwood trees down there and the sun was catching the leaves and just sparkling as they shimmered in the wind. Leaves are just starting to turn and the colors made a lovely highlight in the tree tops. What a great way to spend an afternoon.

I felt pretty pooped heading out. Made myself an egg and a 1/2 bowl of cereal before the swim, had a 1/2 Cliff bar before the bike. Other than that I used race day nutrition on the bike, - Perpetuem and Gels on the 45 min or more often as I wanted. Ate the rest of the cliff bar at turn around. had an extra gel just before starting up the long hill. I felt better as time progressed. -- The swim really took it out of me, but I recovered pretty well on the bike. Perhaps I'm still tired from yesterday's run.

Always thinking about race day now.

Men are men before they are lawyers or physicians or manufacturers; and if you make them capable and sensible men they will make themselves capable and sensible lawyers and physicians. - John Stuart Mill, on the training of men.

It's in the 30's this morning but nice, so I decided to wait to  ride till it warms up a little.  Perhaps I'll do the swim first then go ride.  Supposed to be a 4500 yard swim.  Perhaps if I go over fresh. Still longer sets are hard in the warm pool. Think I'll go for wu,  then 4x1000.

I got through another box of papers last night.  There were some interesting articles from 1955 about the anniversary of the Trinity nuclear test.  My dad worked at Sandia Labs and they did lots of the instrumentation for the tests.  The articles were from the Sandia Labs internal newspaper.

Run
  • 3h 52m
  • 19.40 miles
  • 11m 57s /Mi

Total run time 4:13, with 7 min to stop for rest room break and various stop lights and shoe emptying. Elevation gain 1600 ft.

I feel pretty good about that run. Still felt pretty strong at 10 miles. Nutrition was pretty good, except I ran out near the end. The last mile was pretty tough. I wanted to do 20 miles, but I think I was close enough to get the training effect - the last mile says so. Lots and lots of 10 min pace. I'm real pleased about that. Ran on a 4/1 run/walk. In the earlier part of the run I didn't hear the watch and ran about 7:1 several times.

Chilly it was. After the first little loop, I was looking for some little extra thing to put on and remembered my little helmet liner. Made all the difference, still I was chilled till about midway when I turned back to run with the wind, and the sun came up. For the last three miles I was down to shorts and a singlet. I'll take a more fleecy tech shirt for Florida, as well as a light fleece if I can find one.

Still need to get a swim today will shoot for the 6-7 lap swim.

Swim
  • 29m
  • 1531.06 yards
  • 01m 53s /100 yards

Well, that wasn't what was planned. My feet started cramping up on the second 100 of the warm up, so it became an assortment of what I could do. Mostly short. There was a girl two lanes over who was quite fast. When our timing matched I tried to pace her. I could keep up pretty well for 25M, but her turns were very fast, and I'm not flipping my turns any more.

200 wu
3x50 drill
4x50 a bit faster, but still no kicking.
250 cd

Strength
  • 30m

• EXERCISE

Sets
    Min
    reps
    Max
    reps
    Min
    wt.(lb)
    Max
    wt.(lb)
  • ABS - Advanced Obliques
  • ABS - Bicycles
  • ABS - Crunches
  • ABS - Crunches, Reverse
  • CORE - Elbow Bridge (FB)
  • CORE - Pushups (FB)
  • CORE - Reverse HyperExtension (FB)
  • CORE - Side Planks
  • CORE - Superman
  • CORE - Superman (FB)

myrtle exercises and once through the core, after run.

Thomas A Kempis wrote, "first keep the peace within yourself, then you can also bring peace to others."  He also said, "Be not angry that you cannot make others as you wish them to be, since you cannot make yourself as you wish to be."

Stayed out too late last night, so I slept in this morning.  Thought I might run this afternoon but my stomach is upset.  Today may just become a rest day and I'll do the run/swim tomorrow.

I really enjoy the woman I saw last night.  Unfortunately there's no romantic component, but we have great conversation.  Stayed till past 11:00 and you know that's late for a triathlete.

Lined up a yard guy.  I get such a kick out of my neighbors.  Call Jesus, He's "and I mean no disrespect, but he's one of Linda's Mexicans."  What a nice young man.  And he's pretty cheep.  $150, for what will probably take a 1/2 day.  Anyway, one more step.  I spent some time filling the dumpster with stuff out of the house.  Got a lot out of the Utility room and the Den.  The broken microwave went out, and makes the kitchen counter tops look that much larger.  The thing gave up the day I decided that I really had to get out as soon as possible.  Still looks like at least mid October. 

2:00 pm and about a 1/2 hour of paying work done today.  Arg!  How time flies.

jashac's Training Log

October 2013 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
   1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31  

Time
Distance
Time
  • November's totals