Light rain shower
High 76F
Low 62F

Tuesday - July 2

Swim
  • 21m
  • 1000.00 yards
  • 02m 06s /100 yards

A little active recovery. Drove to pool. :)
200 wu
4x50 drill
4x100 easy
200 cd
I just did what felt good. Stroke felt powerful, gliding was awesome. Felt really streamlined and stretched out. Times are coming down. The water felt a little cooler this morning, and I wonder if that had something to do with it, or if I'm just better after a long race?

Run
  • 14m
  • 0.90 miles
  • 15m 33s /Mi

Active recovery, a walk around the neighborhood. One little run for about 1/2 block. That felt pretty good too. Although my legs are still really sore nothing hurt while exercising.

Stretching this morning though did hurt - in a good way. Hamstrings, fronts of my shins, and ankles all sore. Maybe I overdid a bit this weekend. :)

Reexamine all that you have been told...dismiss that which insults your soul. - Walt Whitman

I'm beginning to be able to do this.  As you know yourself, and know the spirit it becomes more apparent what is real and what is true.  Life is really interesting.  So much to learn, and with each bit, it gets richer, fuller, and more fun and rewarding.  How is it that it takes me so many years to reach this state?

I feel like a freshman, or maybe a sophomore, who has begun to learn a lot, and realizes it.  Later comes the state where you begin to realize how much there is you don't know, and might never know. 

Monday - July 1

The usual stretching.  Well a bit more gingerly with emphasis on stretching and moving slowly.  Total rest day other than that.  Legs are very sore.  Feet a little sore.  Two little blisters on feet seem to be ok.  Sunburned pretty badly.  the old scar on my shoulder is blistered.  I've got to find a better sunscreen.  Or perhaps put it on twice.

Sunday - June 30

Swim
  • 33m 52s
  • 2112.00 yards
  • 01m 45s /100 yards

4th AG 282 overall
Just took it easy. Focused on enjoying the sunrise, the lake, the scenery and gliding. Also tried to go wide but straight.
Garmin says: 1.22 miles. Remembered to start the silly thing, but forgot to hit the button coming out of the water. - Overall a pretty good swim, and a beautiful sunrise over the lake. I really like being out there at sunrise, just don't like to do it by myself.

Bike
  • 3h 19m 57s
  • 56.00 miles
  • 16.80 Mi/hr

T1 =3.54 - not bad.
6th AG 453 overall
Knowing how undertrained I am, and working a plan, I took it pretty easy. That's hard to do when everyone is passing you, but I tried to stick to riding pretty easy. The compact crank was awesome on this course with the steep climbs. Decided to take it easy in transition so that my HR wasn't high on climb out of T1 - That worked! Plus I rode the first two hills the day before and figured out gearing and where I would stand. And I'm now training at 5,000 ft with hills. I wasn't speedy, but with the training I've got and the new gears the hills were pretty manageable. Overall, with only one month of training to average almost 17 mph with the wind and hills, I'm pretty pleased. Speedometer chose today to take the day off. Stopped once to pee. Stopped once to give a guy a tube. Absolutely loved the tail wind coming in on the last leg - Garmin said I was running about 20 - 21. Max speed 39.6 Garmin says ave moving speed 17, but does not have the first two hills.
Forgot to hit the button coming out of T1 for about two miles, including the first two climbs out of T1.
Beautiful morning. The rains stopped just about 5:30, so mostly the roads were clear, but puddles in places. Nice and cool, probably only about 75 degrees at the end of the bike. Two places we had to ride through water deeper than a few inches. No dust, fields wet, but the breeze was pretty noticeable. I guess it was 15 mph or so.

Run
  • 3h 02m 02s
  • 13.10 miles
  • 13m 54s /Mi

T2 -3:46 - pretty efficient, walked out of T2 to begin warm up.
7th AG 540 Overall
Well, as I suspected this is where it got tough. My longest run to date is 8 miles. With basically one month of training, I think I did ok, and it appears today (Monday) that I didn't actually hurt myself, although hurting is what my legs and feet are doing - it all appears to be muscular.
run/walk 3:1 and pretty much a slightly sub10 min pace for the first three miles. Had to stop and move my chip to the other leg, it was biting my ankle for some reason.
Followed my plan to take a good warm up on mile one. Walked several times in the first five minutes. After that I felt like running, so I stepped it up to just sub 10 min pace. I figured I'd be plodding a lot later, and to use different muscles I'd go ahead and run. Walked the big hill just past 3 miles. Walked the second big hill at 4.3 miles. Then the 'flat' out and back, pretty much was able to maintain a 10 min pace, but extended my walk to 1:03 for each four min stretch. 2:30/1:30

Just past mile 8 the fatigue started setting in. I was pretty good with gels, gatoraide, and cliff blocks all the way along. Took all my own nutrition after last year's experience. Took good advantage of the water and ice on the course. hung a wet paper towel out of the back of my hat, down my neck. best thing ever. After the turn around at mile 6.2 the wind was in our face and cooling quite nicely.
Long walk at mile 9 - walked the whole four minutes. Walked the downhills now as well as the uphills. Knees were hurting, especially the right. Feet hurting. Coming into the park, I was thinking, What have I learned at IM that will help me now? So at the mile 10 aide station I sat down, visited with volunteers and rested my feet and legs. That helped, but by this point I was well beyond my training. Tried various strides to see if I could figure out how to run and not hurt my knee. Stopped to stretch a little and that helped some. Stretched then walked most of the last mile, but knee felt good enough to run the last 1/2 or so.

Garmin says: from mile 1-9 ave pace was about 12 - 13 min/mile. At mile 10 it went to 16min/mi. That tells me what I need to do with my long runs. Like maybe do them?

Overall, for only a month of training, not so bad. I actually was doing fairly well, I thought until the last three to four miles. And overall, I'm pretty pleased.

The post race massage was fabulous. I had stopped by and got worked on the day before the race. I think he loosened up my calves, and I had absolutely no problems with calf tightness. Think because I paid the day before they took a little extra time with me after the race. In any case the girl who worked on me really helped loosen me up, and knees don't hurt.

Saturday - June 29

Bike
  • 25m
  • 4.96 miles
  • 11.90 Mi/hr

Max speed 38. Tells you something about the hill coming out of T1 at BSLT.
Just a little warm up and check the bike spin. Rode up the two hills out of T1 and around the lake. It was supposed to be a 15 min ride. Doing the hills turned out to be an excellent idea. Gave me a chance to check out the new compact chain rings and figure out gearing for the race. In the race I knew where I was going to shift, and where I was going to up shift and stand up. It worked out very well. 400 feet of climbing.

Run
  • 13m 34s
  • 1.15 miles
  • 11m 48s /Mi

97 degrees, a little jog out onto the run course, just warming the legs up. The massage and/or taper really did my calves a world of good. No tightness. Felt pretty good except for the heat. I carried my water bottle. No sense getting dehydrated the day before the race. - now off to the lake.

Swim
  • 04m
  • 200.00 yards
  • 02m /100 yards

Total guess at distance. I swam out to the first buoy, which is in the entrance to the cove. Going out felt very easy and fast. Just hung out in the water a little and chatted with other athletes. -
Now off to check into hotel and find some dinner.

late afternoon: 20 min bike, 15 min run, and short swim to check everything out and prime the body.  Will log workouts later.

Friday - June 28

Bike
  • 17m
  • 4.30 miles
  • 15.18 Mi/hr

A downhill run to the auto shop. Again I'm amazed by the bike paths here. They carved out a little green space between the freeway and the neighborhood - put the bike path through there. Connects well to the streets, and the jigs and jogs are all pretty easy. Most major street crossing have traffic lights, with a button for a walk signal.

Not really a ride, just a tiny bit of seat time and a little leg spinning.
Today is Taper Day - do nothing. Tomorrow will be a short spin, perhaps a little swim in the lake and maybe a very short run. I should look at a 1/2 IM plan. Hmm

Always continue the climb.  It is possible for you to do whatever you choose, if you first get to know who you are and are willing to work with a power that is greater than ourselves to do it.  Ella Wheeler Cox

The quiet whisper of Spirit is always guiding you, always point you to greater and greater good. - Sally Robbins

I think the trick is to listen.  Perhaps to get yourself out of the way.  But then there is that thing about free will.  I think setting your intention in a broad sense, then praying for guidance to make the best thing possible happen.  It's been working pretty well for the last few months as I've gone on a path that I've not tread before.

Thursday - June 27

Bike
  • 55m
  • 9.11 miles
  • 9.94 Mi/hr

Took car to shop. Rode back toward house, then up to mountains. Albuquerque is incredible. I rode bike lanes, then bike path all the way to the mountains. Crossed the freeway on a bike/pedestrian bridge. The network of possible riding here is really incredible. It's so easy to get all around. amazing.

Rode real easy, taper. Not long, not hard.
T2- 2 minutes

Run
  • 12m 43s
  • 1.14 miles
  • 11m 09s /Mi

Just a little brick run. First brick of the season. And on Sunday I have a half Ironman race. Can you say, under trained?

Travelers there is no path, paths are made by walking. - Antonio Machado

You cannot create an experience. You must undergo it. - Albert Camus

Plans are meant to be revised, and the good news is that if Plan A doesn't work, we have twenty-five more letters to go. - Sally Robbins

Lots of quotes today.  I've been remiss at my blog.  doesn't mean I haven't been reading, just busy.  I love Robbins' quote.  It really applies to endurance racing as it does to life.  I think I'm on plan G or somewhere.  Lots of flexibility lately, but it's all working, and I'm going with the flow.

Still plan to do (notice I did not say race) Buffalo Springs Lake Triathlon 1/2 IM on Sunday.  Pretty sure about the swim and the bike.  We'll see what I learn.  I hope I don't learn that I was stupid.  I'm working on a race plan that takes into account my current training level.  I hope I can pull it off and not hurt myself.  It will be a big training day for sure.

Lots of progress.  Car fixed. Cabinet tops ordered and down payment. another bid for tile work - he looked but I don't have the e-mail yet. 

Need to get my nutrition together, and do a little work on my bike.  Pack, because I need to leave at 6:00 in the morning to meet friends for lunch after Saturday's Oly.  Looking forward to that for sure!  Oh, and there's that work thing.  Lots of people calling with urgent work.  I could easily stay here and work this weekend.  That has some appeal, but if I don't live my life then what good is all that work?

Wednesday - June 26

Run
  • 1h 22m
  • 6.75 miles
  • 12m 09s /Mi

Run in the heat of the day. Ran up to the mountains, then back. More walking on the way back. Run in the heat of the day to begin to acclimate to conditions at BSLT. 96 degrees out. Took race nutrition. It worked well. I'll need the water along the course for cooling. Ran before eating lunch. Nutrition was fine I think.

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. - Bill Nye

Dinner last night with Carol, and a couple of her friends.  Very interesting people.  They built a total solar house.  Their utilities run about two to six dollars a month.  Carol was their financial adviser.  I should take advantage of her knowledge to begin to figure out what I should be doing with my money.  He was an engineer at Sandia Labs, and I was familiar with some of the research that his group had done.  Interesting evening, lovely Greek food.  More hugs from Carol.  Was this date #2?  hmm.  At least I got out of the house, and had a nice evening and stimulating conversation.

I need to get my bike in running condition.  believe I've got a thorn in my tire, and need to clean the chain.

My truck pulled an odd one yesterday.  After I cleaned the engine, like I do once or twice a year, it stalled then gave me a Emergency safe mode error message.  I'm trying to get it in to my dad's mechanic tomorrow.  Hope they can get it fixed before Saturday so I can take it to BSLT.  I don't want to drive my dad's old car over there.  It's probably fine, but I'm not that familiar with it, and it is an older car, even though he took good care of it.

And I've GOT TO get my MS fund raising done.

jashac's Training Log

July 2013 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31   

Volume

Time
Distance

Actual vs Planned