Sunny
High 98F
Low 76F

Saturday - July 27

Bike
  • 7h 28m
  • 99.00 miles
  • 13.26 Mi/hr

Started from the house and rode 1 hr to the ride off point. Then because we had a novice we rode fairly slow. that's ok because I wanted an easy long ride. But his wife drove SAG and I swear we stopped every 10 miles and spent way too much time standing around visiting. Riding time 7:28 actual time 9:11. That's over an hour and a half stopped. Arg - not what I had in mind - totally ate the day. Just being out that long tires me.

Garmin says 9000 ft of climbing. I think it's more like 5000 ft. Not sure what's up with the Garmin - even after "elevation corrections" it's not so good.

The last 15 mile ride down was pretty tough, in spite of the M&M's peanut I ate. I did not pack enough nutrition for a 9 hour ride.
Tomorrow I will eat a full breakfast and take full nutrition for the ride.

Friday - July 26

Rest day today.  Legs were not even sore last night.  There was a huge thunder storm from about 1:00 till 3:00 this morning and there was no sleeping.  So I got up for a while and did a thorough job foam rolling my legs.  Lots of sore spots and trigger points hidden in there.  Today left quad is real sore.  Not sure if it's from running yesterday or from foam roller.Hall bath

pic 2

Hall bathroom is finished!  - except for a little touch up.  He's got the demolition of the master bath done, wall board up in shower, and outlet installed.  Oh this time they did the primer early so it will actually be dry when they paint over it.  It should go on better.  Hall bath chips easily.  Perhaps it will be better when it drys thoroughly.

It's Friday.  I did get some work done this week, but nothing to write home about, and I've got two deadlines next week.  Good thing my workers are taking the weekend off.  Of course I'm riding long tomorrow.  Cool

Thursday - July 25

Run
  • 2h 45m
  • 13.91 miles
  • 11m 51s /Mi

It's working! The training seems to be paying off. Awesome fun run and nothing really hurt. R knee started hurting when I finally started downhill, but I thought about running with 'tone' (muscle tone) and the hurt stopped. Ran a loop that included quite a trail run all the way up into the foot hills, and through wild open space. What fun.

Had an incredible experience. Could smell the trees, and in reaching out I could sense first the cottonwood trees, then one at at time the other types. Really spiritual. Very, very cool.

Big reverse split - probably due more to running down hill than anything else, but going out at about 10-11 min / mi, coming back at 8 to 9.30/mi. Started real easy. One mile loop - stopped back at house for potty, then out a mile before 3x20sec strides, the rest pretty easy. Pace determined by feel. Slowed quite a bit when it got steep and running in the sand. Awesome beautiful morning to be out. Reaching out and feeling the trees is really cool. The wild land bushes don't respond as well.

Strength
  • 30m

• EXERCISE

Sets
    Min
    reps
    Max
    reps
    Min
    wt.(lb)
    Max
    wt.(lb)
  • CHEST - pushups single leg
  • CORE - Elbow Bridge (FB)
  • CORE - Reverse HyperExtension (FB)
  • CORE - Side Planks
  • CORE - Superman
  • CORE - Superman (FB)

Myrtl + core

Long run today

Well that came in really big.  Hmm, Well it turns out that you can just drag it to shape in the Blog it window.  That's fantastic!

Regarding the run.  you can see the slow part and the steep part of the run correlate, as does the fast part and all the down hill. 

It's 1:30 in the afternoon, and "all" I've done is run, shower, go to the hardware store twice, once for paint, and then for a new smaller toilet.  The vanity is a bit big.  Cheaper to buy new toilet than new vanity.  Assorted parts for hooking things up.  Still need shower faucet etc, but got the sink for bathroom #2.  Will need tile for there too.  He's finishing bath #1, and plans to start ripping out bath #2 soon.  Wow.  Progress.

Decided not to swim today.  forehead thing still oozing a bit.  Maybe tonight?  Tomorrow is rest day.  Saturday long ride.  No swimming this week, but I'm glad I've got the skin thing taken care of .

Wednesday - July 24

Bike #1
  • 26m
  • 5.18 miles
  • 11.95 Mi/hr

Took car in to shop. Rode bike back home plus just a little.

Bike #2
  • 22m
  • 4.36 miles
  • 11.89 Mi/hr

little ride down to the auto shop to pick up my car

Most people say their main fault is a lack of discipline.  On deeper thought, I believe that the basic problem is that their priorities have not become deeply planted in their hearts and minds.  They attempt to give priority to important but not urgent activities and integrate them into their lives through self-discipline alone.  But without a principle center and a personal mission statement they don't have the necessary foundation to sustain their efforts.  They're working on the leaves, on the attitudes and behaviors of discipline, without even thinking to examine the roots, the basic paradigms from which their natural attitudes and behaviors flow.  - Stephen Covey

Super busy day today.  I did actually get some paying work done.  The work I've committed to do.  That's important stuff.  Secondarily important is getting the house fixed up.   Only one trip to Lowes today to buy a kitchen sink.  A cast iron double sink is really, really heavy.

1st bathroom, shower in and tile set.  Tomorrow he'll grout it and install, and modify, the vanity.  He's got to cut the drawers so that the plumbing can fit behind them.  All the vanities have drawers on the right, which is exactly where the plumbing comes through the wall. 

Kitchen counter tops are in.  And they look really nice.  I expanded the top of the island to make a breakfast bar.  Winner!  It looks really nice and significantly changes things in the kitchen.

Put swatches of the paint choices on the walls in various places.  Zeroing in on a color to match everything.

Not much in the way of working out today.  Was supposed to be a short ride and weights.  I miss having my weights up here.  But today, having two different contractors in the house, and having to take my truck to the shop kind of put a kink in things.  Plus I was just tired this morning.

Got a massage today.  Ahhhhh.

Tomorrow 13 mile long run, and 1 hr swim.  To accomplish that I've got to be out the door at 4:30.  Pool at 7:00 to 8:00 then jog home.  It's going to be long.  I'm still sore from the bike ride last weekend.

I need to get on with my MS fund raising for the NM ride.

Tuesday - July 23

Run
  • 49m
  • 4.33 miles
  • 11m 19s /Mi

Tile guy this morning at 7:00, so I had to quit early. Decided not to swim in order to let forehead heal another day. Easy and thorough warm up. Muscles real sore from Sunday intense ride. After that I set my watch to 3 min intervals: run tempo for 2:30, walk :30. Or something like that. At 35 minutes eased up a bit to 4 min intervals and less intensity. but it was downhill and actually faster. Focused on form. Best pace 7:15. Average moving pace 11:20. Last interval ~ 8.30 - 9.10

The only time you should look back is to see how far you've come. - Kevin Hart

"Principle is never bound by precedent. " That means that we are not bound by the past or our versions of it.  We are always free to express out of an infinite range of possibility.  - Jim Lockard

Awesome:  It's 10:00 in the morning and all the stuff is ripped out of the bathroom, wallboard down in preparateion for the new shower.  The are insulating the wall and taking off the old floor tile.   Progress!  Just heard from the counter top people confirming tomorrow morning. 

Legs really, really sore from cycling this weekend. 

So excited that the thing on my forehead is gone. 

There's a puddle of antifreeze on the ground under my car this morning.  Thankful I made it back without incident.  Looks like a hose connection is leaking.  Might be time to replace the heater hoses.  Well there's another several hundred dollars.  On the other hand I really like this shop.  They're good and also convenient. 

I should call the dermatologist and thank the reception lady for working me in.

And I've got to get some work done.  Also time to start fundraising for my NM MS 150 ride in August.

Monday - July 22

I grew this thing on top of my forehead.  Looks like skin cancer and it's really getting ugly.  Called twice last week to see if the dermatologist could get me in on Monday.  Decided to simply drop in at the beginning of the day, see if I could see the nurse, then make appointment for surgeon.  The girl at the front said she'd get me in.  I only had to wait a 1/2 hr to get in and was out of there in an hour.  He took it off.  could be benign, or could be a type of skin cancer that is curable.  Send to pathology.  I'm so glad it's off.  On the other hand that prevents the OWS at bottomless lakes on my way back to Albuquerque.

Head hurt so after pharmacy, I went back home had lunch and a nap.  Drive back to Albuquerque was very nice with beautiful thunder clouds building over the mountains, lots of pretty sky and some dramatic clouds.  It even rained a bit just as I came into town.

Head/ forehead does not hurt after removing the thing and the nap. Dissappointed about missing the swim, but glad that I've got that taken care of.

Sunday - July 21

Bike
  • 4h 09m
  • 75.60 miles
  • 18.22 Mi/hr

Ave moving speed 20.2. Can you say, "intense?"

Positioned myself near the front for the big downhill at the start. I hate to be going fast surrounded by novice riders. After the downhill and through town, I found myself at the back of the first group. The big boys. The racers. Oh well, lets see how long I can hang on. Chased the big group until just past 12 miles or so. I was about 3/4 of the way to the back, and there was just a lot of surging, and the guy next to me sat up and said, "ok, that's enough." I thought so too, and our little group just let them go. Then it turned out to be two of our club's racers, myself and the it's-too-much guy. Then it was awesome. The four of us working together riding hard and cycling through pull. Real strong riders. Average pace for the next five 5 mile splits: 22, 23, 25.4, 19.5, 20.6 mph. I elected to stop at the 45 mile rest stop, and grab some liquid and fuel. I cannot believe I hung with those guys. I even pulled, although I kept them somewhat short so that I could maintain pace and still catch the wheel after my pull. After that I rode with a couple triathletes for a while and we visited a bit. Still rode hard, but not quite at all-out pace. The last 14 miles or so I took it a bit easy with an acquaintance and we chatted. Rode medium. both of us pretty toasted. For 75 miles my average moving speed was 20.2. Unbelievable. But it pays to have very strong riders pulling, and a tail wind for most of the ride. Garmin says 2300 ft of climbing.

MS 150 day 2

Awesome, and exhausting day.  Stood around for almost 10 minutes after the ride trying to decide: little run? pool and shower? eat?   Could not face eating and decided that I needed to recover.  didn't even get in the pool, just hung my feet in for a while.  That ride just kicked my butt!  Intensity was awesome though, and I think I'm actually stronger this year, in spite of slower rides and not as much training.  Of course this year, being under trained, I did not ride all night on Friday night preceding the ride.

jashac's Training Log

July 2013 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31   

Volume

Time
Distance

Actual vs Planned